BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

A few questions I've been thinking about.

So strength training...I know it helps...but does it help enough to warrant cutting time from something else? I mean, is it worth it to drop some time doing something else (swim/run) in order to get the strength training it? I already have decent speed, but more is always better.

OWS sighting...when you're swimming in the open water, how often do you sight to your next buoy? I realized that one reason my swim time was so slow last race was due to AWFUL sighting. So my last OWS was at Xterra Illinois Wilds which was an L shaped swim (we swam around the outside of the L). I kept ending up in the middle of the L in no man's land because I had such a lopsided stroke and I was such a poor swimmer. I have improved significantly in swimming, but need to get better at sighting. I practice some techniques during my pool workouts...but really need some OWS practice.  So I guess...how do you practice sighting in the pool? How often do you do it in a real OWS? 

Thanks! Going to try to get up early and get my run in before work...happy training!

- Joel

2013-01-10 8:26 PM

New user

Tony,

I would really appreciate if I could join this group.  I will include some background to verify if it will be a good fit.

Good morning to all!  I am a 35 year old married father of 3 that was bitten by the need to compete about 3 years ago.  Since that first 5k in November that I was sure I was going to embarass myself in (Finished much better than expected) I have been on a quest to see how far I can push myself mentally and physically.

I am definately a beginner but have several personal accomplishments I am proud of.  I am looking forward to gaining knowledge and insight from all you true athletes out there.

Recent Events:

200 mile Ragnar Relay Series Miami to Keywest  (Most fun you can have with 12 friends and 2 vans)

200 Mile Ragnar Relay Series Madison to Chicago (We picked the hottest weekend on record)

Chicago Half Marathon (Hit the wall on mile 11 and realized I might be human, finished 1:57)

Various 5k and 10k events....Warrior Dash, Turkey Trots and all the usual stuff.

One lone indoor Tri......very humbling experience and knew I had to devote myself 110% to this 3 sport disipline.  Since then I watch hours of Ironman competition on t.v. wondering where this will all take me.

Last week was my first session with my new tri swim coach, I bought a road bike in the fall and plan on getting my 5k time down around 22min.  I am signed up for 3 sprint tris this year with my first in June .

Any advice?  Any thoughts?  Let me hear it.

Andrew

2013-01-10 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4573092

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-01-10 7:48 PM

A few questions I've been thinking about.

So strength training...I know it helps...but does it help enough to warrant cutting time from something else? I mean, is it worth it to drop some time doing something else (swim/run) in order to get the strength training it? I already have decent speed, but more is always better.

OWS sighting...when you're swimming in the open water, how often do you sight to your next buoy? I realized that one reason my swim time was so slow last race was due to AWFUL sighting. So my last OWS was at Xterra Illinois Wilds which was an L shaped swim (we swam around the outside of the L). I kept ending up in the middle of the L in no man's land because I had such a lopsided stroke and I was such a poor swimmer. I have improved significantly in swimming, but need to get better at sighting. I practice some techniques during my pool workouts...but really need some OWS practice.  So I guess...how do you practice sighting in the pool? How often do you do it in a real OWS? 

Thanks! Going to try to get up early and get my run in before work...happy training!

- Joel

Yes strength training helps. Most of us arent elite athletes, we are probably desk jockeys and as such probably have horrible posture and spend way too much time jn flection now your going to pound your body running or spend more time in flextion on the bike. Not good! Now, as the race Season gets closer youll want to lift less, but still lift!
2013-01-10 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4573137

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Welcome Andrew!
2013-01-11 6:49 AM

User image

Master

That rest and carb load was so necessary. Had a much better performance during my 8 mile noon run today in 90F heat than my 4 mile run in the cool evening the other day. Very pleased with my run.

Tomorrow will be 16-18 miles on the road bike and then 3-5 mile run after depending on what time my husband gets home from his long run. He's training for his first marathon so I plan my training Saturdays around his schedule since it's the most important run of the week for him.

Sprint tri coming up! This is the 1st year anniversary tri for me. I totally froze on the 200M swim. Thank GOD that there were plenty of shallow spots for me to pause and have a panic attack.  I was the last out of the water, but was able to past folks on the run to not be dead last. Whew! The man that followed me on his standup paddle board through the whole thing still follows my progress to this day because of how bad I panicked that day! He's so proud of me.

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2013-01-11 6:51 AM
2013-01-11 8:15 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
10 mi @ 40.13 on the bike!

2013-01-11 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4573424

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Blanda - 2013-01-11 6:49 AM

That rest and carb load was so necessary. Had a much better performance during my 8 mile noon run today in 90F heat than my 4 mile run in the cool evening the other day. Very pleased with my run.

Tomorrow will be 16-18 miles on the road bike and then 3-5 mile run after depending on what time my husband gets home from his long run. He's training for his first marathon so I plan my training Saturdays around his schedule since it's the most important run of the week for him.

Sprint tri coming up! This is the 1st year anniversary tri for me. I totally froze on the 200M swim. Thank GOD that there were plenty of shallow spots for me to pause and have a panic attack.  I was the last out of the water, but was able to past folks on the run to not be dead last. Whew! The man that followed me on his standup paddle board through the whole thing still follows my progress to this day because of how bad I panicked that day! He's so proud of me.

Happy training!

I had an epic panic in my first OWS as well. I was in for 500m and thought I was doing ok...then about 200m in, I thought I was going to throw up and not make it through...I rested on a buoy for awhile. Then tried to keep going and called a kayak. I rested for awhile then made it through the rest of the swim ok. Made it through my second OWS ok. Hope my next one is even better! Good luck on the sprint coming!

Thanks for the weight training advice, Tony. I think I"ll try to incorporate some into my routine.

7.2 miles last night after work and 3 mile recovery this morning in dense fog. Nothing after work today as I have a work outing. I'm missing a short swim to go. I'll make it up over the weekend. Happy training!

2013-01-12 7:03 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Ugh! long day of driving today, ate to much crap !

Fatty got to run tonight lol!

2013-01-12 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4575511

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Ktieulie - 2013-01-12 7:03 PMUgh! long day of driving today, ate to much crap !

Fatty got to run tonight lol!

Too funny. It happens! Way to get back at it.
2013-01-12 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Long run for me too today. Tomorrow short swim and spin bike for recovery.
2013-01-13 12:43 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
So fatty was going to go for a long run, but the receptionist said we are closing in forty mins! So I did some high tempo and resistance on the bike for 15min followed by a little brick action with a 15 min run and 10 min of weights!

Pulling a short change( day shift to night shift) so I will be able to get a run in and a swim tomorrow!

2013-01-13 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4574090

User image

Master
The Chupacabra - 2013-01-11 4:50 PM

I had an epic panic in my first OWS as well. I was in for 500m and thought I was doing ok...then about 200m in, I thought I was going to throw up and not make it through...I rested on a buoy for awhile. Then tried to keep going and called a kayak. I rested for awhile then made it through the rest of the swim ok. Made it through my second OWS ok. Hope my next one is even better! Good luck on the sprint coming!

Yay for 2nd time charm! It gets a little easier every time you survive.

Saturday: 10.5 miles on the roadie and followed by a 2 mile run
Sunday: 200m swim/6 mile bike on the roadie/1.5 mile run, then 6 miles with my running group.

My head huuurrrts.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2013-01-13 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

When you're training for Xterra, about what % of your miles are mountain bike miles? It seems that the more you can do the better prepared you'll be, but I don't really know. 

15 min. in the pool and 35 on the spin bike today. Low effort in the pool and low-med on the spin bike. Letting the legs recover from yesterday's long run in prep for my May marathon.

I also noticed that there's going to be an Xterra Epic in an area I have relatives in September and I think I'm going to make that my end of the year A race. 

2013-01-13 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4576326

User image

Expert
MI
The Chupacabra - 2013-01-13 4:10 PM

When you're training for Xterra, about what % of your miles are mountain bike miles? It seems that the more you can do the better prepared you'll be, but I don't really know. 

Good question. Would be curious how much trail running would be advised as well to prep for an xterra?  Is once a week adequate?

2013-01-13 6:13 PM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
first swim of 2013! 1200m
2013-01-13 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Train running is good if you can do once a week.  I prefer trail running most of the time just because I hate pounding the pavement, but its hard to get out to trails. 

Mountain biking is a different story.  It all depends on your background and how comfortable you are on the bike, but for many of my clients, myself included, 1 - 2 times A MONTH on the mountain bike is plenty.  You just can't get the same quality workout on the mountain bike then on the road or trainer. 

OK, one thing.  I guess it matters where you live.  Here in the Midwest (Chicago), the trails are way too tight to safely do intervals, especially since they are 2 way trails.  When I lived in California it was a different story! 

2013-01-13 7:06 PM

User image

Master

A friend of mine who was a mountain biking participant in the recent Olympics said I need miles, miles, miles, and I can only get that on the road either with the mountain bike or the roadie. We do have weekly opportunities to get into the hills where the course is. Lots of cool group rides to do portions of to practice bike handling.

Here are portions of the course:

Standing water in places.

This dirt in pic below is super slippery when wet. A lot of clay.

2013-01-13 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4576563

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Looks like a fun course! 
2013-01-13 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Blanda - 2013-01-13 8:06 PM

A friend of mine who was a mountain biking participant in the recent Olympics said I need miles, miles, miles, and I can only get that on the road either with the mountain bike or the roadie. We do have weekly opportunities to get into the hills where the course is. Lots of cool group rides to do portions of to practice bike handling.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure our "mountain biking" trails around here are nothing like that!!!! Tongue out  That's in Guam?

Mountain biking "participant" in the Olympics? That's an interesting way of putting it. Pretty cool!  I did watch some mountain biking during the London Olympics!

2013-01-13 7:26 PM

New user

I would like to join this group.  How do I do that, is there a join button or something?

John

2013-01-13 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Blanda - 2013-01-13 7:06 PM

I'm moving to Guam.
Seriously, it looks like a fun trail! 

2013-01-13 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4576545

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
tzcoaching - 2013-01-13 6:51 PM

Train running is good if you can do once a week.  I prefer trail running most of the time just because I hate pounding the pavement, but its hard to get out to trails. 

Mountain biking is a different story.  It all depends on your background and how comfortable you are on the bike, but for many of my clients, myself included, 1 - 2 times A MONTH on the mountain bike is plenty.  You just can't get the same quality workout on the mountain bike then on the road or trainer. 

OK, one thing.  I guess it matters where you live.  Here in the Midwest (Chicago), the trails are way too tight to safely do intervals, especially since they are 2 way trails.  When I lived in California it was a different story! 

Cool. Thanks, Tony! That's helpful and makes me feel better about not being able to get to the trails very often.

2013-01-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4576587

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Johnhen - 2013-01-13 7:26 PM

I would like to join this group.  How do I do that, is there a join button or something?

John

Welcome!  Your in.  Just give us your background; name, location; what kind of races your have done / are looking forward to this year, etc... 

2013-01-13 8:10 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Man... I wish I could ride trails more! It's just not feasible. I can't get there before dark during the week. You know.....that thing called work! I'm definitely not the best mtb'er. But I do ok in the trails. The xterra guys don't seem as fast as the pure mtbers I used to race with when I raced MTB. It's just so convenient to ride te road or trainer. That's where I spend most my time. I ride trails when I can though. Probably a couple times a month. I just need to keep from crashing so I can keep training period! Lol.

Running the trails is great but same thing. Not as convenient as leaving my front door or hitting a treadmill! I usually try to get a short run in after my MTB rides though to keep fresh. All the sharp hills and cuts a really good change and help a lot with your running in general.
2013-01-14 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4576644

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Yep, we'll have to hit the trails in the Spring Brian! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16