BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4551230

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN

Hey team - what's on the go??

Last night I did not get a workout in BUT! We bought a treadmill for home use.  I am actually really excited about it.  It should be delivered on Monday.  Tonight, I have my swim group so that is guaranteed to get done!

So, curious about the group - what do you all have to help you get your training done?

Treadmill? Trainer? Training buddies?

2013-01-09 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4569986

User image

Veteran
juniperjen - 2013-01-09 12:29 PM

Last night I did not get a workout in BUT! We bought a treadmill for home use.  I am actually really excited about it.  It should be delivered on Monday.  Tonight, I have my swim group so that is guaranteed to get done!

So, curious about the group - what do you all have to help you get your training done?

I have a gym membership that has a pool, a treadmill at home (that I rarely use), and Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVDs which I'm just getting back into. I like the DVDs for the strength training and core aspect and they are only 30 min so I'm going to try and get them in 3 or 4 times a week. I also have a new garmin 910xt (thanks dh!) which is really motivating me to get outside and train. It uploads to bt in a flash so that's a plus!

2013-01-09 12:12 PM

User image

Expert

We just got a treadmill to.  Set it up last weekend, but I have been too sick to use it so far, hopefully soon.  I have a trainer as well (cyclops fluid) and some free weights.  With the treadmill purchase, I am going to cancel my gym membership! (I only ever used it for the treadmill and weights both of which we have at home now.)

2013-01-09 12:55 PM

New user

UK
juniperjen - 2013-01-09 5:29 PM

I'm fortunate to have a gym in the building we live in which is shared by all the residents. We also have a pool but its too small to do lengths so have a membership at a nearby pool.

I also have a husband who tells me to get to the gym/pool...

2013-01-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4570206

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
DawneyH - 2013-01-09 1:55 PM
juniperjen - 2013-01-09 5:29 PM

I'm fortunate to have a gym in the building we live in which is shared by all the residents. We also have a pool but its too small to do lengths so have a membership at a nearby pool.

I also have a husband who tells me to get to the gym/pool...

That's extra helpful!

2013-01-09 4:46 PM

I have a pricey gym membership.... swim lessons once a week but access to open lanes most any day... I plan to practice 2 additional days...I have a treadmill at home but Ive found with my kids, husband and pet there is just too much distraction....I go to the gym 6 days a week, twice a day on M, Tu, W, F(well Im in week 2 of this and plan to keep it up at this pace til April at least)Mon, Wed, Fria.m. swimming practice or stationary cyclep.m. weight liftingTues, Thurs Sata.m. C25K programp.m. Tues only- YogaSat- semi-private lesson

2013-01-10 12:51 AM
in reply to: #4570041

I got home from work and sent my son and husband to a basketball game.  I was just about to try to get out of my workout and watch some TV,  then I saw the jillian Michael's infomercial and decided I better get off the couch.  She has that effect on me.  Just as an aside no one in that informercial looks over 24 years old...LOL.  I headed to the gym for my 24 minutes on the bike and 12 minutes in the pool.  The pool was OK but the bike  was the longest 24 minutes I have had in a while...Day three of training for the sprint.  Kelly
2013-01-10 2:32 PM

User image

New user

New York
Subject: running shoes

I think if I'm going to be a runner I should invest in some decent shoes.... I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Ruth

2013-01-10 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4572513

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: running shoes
TresLoca - 2013-01-10 3:32 PM

I think if I'm going to be a runner I should invest in some decent shoes.... I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Ruth

I would go to a running store, bring any shoes that you are currently working out in.  The people at the store should be able to watch you run and walk and figure out what kind of shoe is best for you.  running shoes are a deeply personal thing, what works for one person won't work for another.

2013-01-10 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4561488

User image

New user

Thanks, Virginia. For this summer's sprints, I am using the same training plan I have used on previous sprints (intermediate plan from Sally Edwards). I will not be able to attempt the Olympic this summer as I will be out of the country for a month and won't be able to train consistently. I will have to put it off until 2014 and have not found a training plan yet.

Mary

2013-01-10 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4571263

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
kellyandned - 2013-01-10 1:51 AM

I got home from work and sent my son and husband to a basketball game.  I was just about to try to get out of my workout and watch some TV,  then I saw the jillian Michael's infomercial and decided I better get off the couch.  She has that effect on me.  Just as an aside no one in that informercial looks over 24 years old...LOL.  I headed to the gym for my 24 minutes on the bike and 12 minutes in the pool.  The pool was OK but the bike  was the longest 24 minutes I have had in a while...Day three of training for the sprint.  Kelly

Good for you!

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-01-10 9:46 PM

2013-01-10 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi! Can I join too? Sorry I'm a bit late. I initally was not planning on joing a group this year but I really miss having someone hold me accountable.

My name is Beth and like most people I too am overworked, underpaid, and over stressed paramedic. I am the single mother a beautiful little boy, Toby, who is five and keeps me on my toes at all times. Toby has multiple health issues but is currently as healthy as he's going to get.

I got into triathlons two years ago to help deal with the stress of a stressfull job and having a special kid with no outside help. All I can say is "Wow"! Triathlons has changed my life for the better. While work is still stressfull I handle it a lot better and at 31 I feel better now than I did at 25.

I've done one sprint triathon, about five olympic levels, one HIM, two marathons, and five half marathons. Last year I managed to qualify for the 5150 US Olympic Triathlon Championships in Des Moines for 2013!!

I'm taking most of this year off of raceing due to an injury to the hip and knee that landed me in physical therapy for 5 months. I do have two races lined up for this year though. The first is a sprint in July then I'm going to attempt the championship races.

Like I said before, I miss having to be held accountable in my training even though I'm taking most of this year off. So to get started I ran 7.5 miles yeserday then spent about 2 hours in the weight room and today I did 45 minutes of cardio and 1 hour in the weight room. As a paramedic it's very important that I don't let my strength go lax.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I live by my precious facebook. If anyone would like to friend me just send me a private message on BT.

Beth

2013-01-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4573255

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hubbie - 2013-01-10 11:17 PM

Hi! Can I join too? Sorry I'm a bit late. I initally was not planning on joing a group this year but I really miss having someone hold me accountable.

My name is Beth and like most people I too am overworked, underpaid, and over stressed paramedic. I am the single mother a beautiful little boy, Toby, who is five and keeps me on my toes at all times. Toby has multiple health issues but is currently as healthy as he's going to get.

I got into triathlons two years ago to help deal with the stress of a stressfull job and having a special kid with no outside help. All I can say is "Wow"! Triathlons has changed my life for the better. While work is still stressfull I handle it a lot better and at 31 I feel better now than I did at 25.

I've done one sprint triathon, about five olympic levels, one HIM, two marathons, and five half marathons. Last year I managed to qualify for the 5150 US Olympic Triathlon Championships in Des Moines for 2013!!

I'm taking most of this year off of raceing due to an injury to the hip and knee that landed me in physical therapy for 5 months. I do have two races lined up for this year though. The first is a sprint in July then I'm going to attempt the championship races.

Like I said before, I miss having to be held accountable in my training even though I'm taking most of this year off. So to get started I ran 7.5 miles yeserday then spent about 2 hours in the weight room and today I did 45 minutes of cardio and 1 hour in the weight room. As a paramedic it's very important that I don't let my strength go lax.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I live by my precious facebook. If anyone would like to friend me just send me a private message on BT.

Beth

WOW, quite impressive for anyone, most of all a single mom. Certainly blows all my excuses out of the water.

Mitzi
2013-01-11 11:43 AM

Hey Everyone,

I don't see a button to join or a way to start a new discussion. Perhaps I overlooked that so can someone direct me to how to join this group?

I would a mentor.

Let me introduce my self.

I am late 40's. Type II diabetic who wants to lose the weight, not be diabetic anylonger, get in great shape and compete.

I live in Houston TX. Go Texans!!!

I am busy like everyone. My obstacles are my TV addiction, past injuries, and current level of poor fitness!!

I also would love someone to help me in developing a training schedule or program.

Anyway I am extremely impressed with  this site!!

I am also impressed with anyone having kids and being an athlete!! Wow!!

Michele

2013-01-12 12:58 AM
in reply to: #4572513

User image

Nairobi, Kenya
Subject: RE: running shoes
TresLoca - 2013-01-10 11:32 PM

Ruth

I agree fully with daffodil. The nice (& best) running shoe stores have people with the knowledge and ability to get you moving, analyze your running style (gait) and guide you to a few choices. Then it's how it feels, how pretty (let's be honest!) & how much. Also consider any injuries or chronic sore spots you might have. Please be very careful if considering 5-finger styles. There's a whole spiel, so you can message me back if you have questions. Oh, I know I've mentioned it, but just so you know, I'm a PT, so that's where the "spiel" comes from!
2013-01-12 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Long run on last Saturday didn't go so well. I was suppose to do 7 miles but only did 5 since my shins were hurting. I can't seem to get past the shin/lower leg issues. It's not my shoes, I have orthotics, it's purely biomechanics and I'm working with a physical therapist and a massage therapist but its slow going. I'll keep trying. I'm training for a half Mary at the end of march, and for a sprint Tri. Wondering how little running i can get by with? I'm following a Jeff galloway plan which is 3 miles, twice a week and a long run on Saturday. I do the midweek runs at 2.5/1 run/walk interval and the long run a bit slower at 1:45/1 interval. If I increase spinning class and swimming could I get away with 1 run during the week and long run on Saturday? I need more recovery between runs, less impact, apparently I'm also running too upright and need to lean forward more but that's easier said than done. I'm getting freaked out because I'm not getting the miles in according to the plan and its stressing me out.

2013-01-12 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4574866

User image

Expert

Ybeal - 2013-01-12 8:02 AM Long run on last Saturday didn't go so well. I was suppose to do 7 miles but only did 5 since my shins were hurting. I can't seem to get past the shin/lower leg issues. It's not my shoes, I have orthotics, it's purely biomechanics and I'm working with a physical therapist and a massage therapist but its slow going. I'll keep trying. I'm training for a half Mary at the end of march, and for a sprint Tri. Wondering how little running i can get by with? I'm following a Jeff galloway plan which is 3 miles, twice a week and a long run on Saturday. I do the midweek runs at 2.5/1 run/walk interval and the long run a bit slower at 1:45/1 interval. If I increase spinning class and swimming could I get away with 1 run during the week and long run on Saturday? I need more recovery between runs, less impact, apparently I'm also running too upright and need to lean forward more but that's easier said than done. I'm getting freaked out because I'm not getting the miles in according to the plan and its stressing me out.

Personally if I couldn't run 3 or more days a week, I wouldn't train for a half marathon.  you need to have a good solid base of running to do a half marathon, and it sounds like you are already doing the bare minimum and seeing if you can cut it back further.  maybe you could plan to train for a 10 K in March instead and plan for a fall half marathon when you have had more time to build up a running base and deal with your shin injury?

2013-01-12 11:01 AM

User image

Nairobi, Kenya

Ok, I've been putting my stuff in the training log, but not so much here.  I am reading all the posts, though, so I'm still here!  That's probably kinda stalker-ish, though, no?

Alright, week one consisted of:

• Saturday: 8+ mile hike up a volcano mtn, Mt Longonot = yowza!
  • Tuesday: 1st ever swim lesson & swim, 1+ hour
  • Wednesday: 1st time on a bike in 17 years (sad, I did the math)
  • Friday: 1st run in probably 3+ years, 8:19 km (12 min mile) pace incl. warm-ups, one 3 min walk in middle

The mtn was awesome and beautiful and hard and so freakin high (2780 meters)!  Considering my hiking experience out here has consisted of once, in a ravine, I was challenged, to say the least.  The swim was confidence-boosting!  I have an "elegant" freestyle stroke, per the instructor.  So, I just got some tweaks, pointers, corrected my breast stroke, learned kick-turns.  I won't need more lessons! Yay, $$!  My butt still hurts from the bike.  It was an upright gym model.  I am reeeaaalllyy researching getting a decent bike and getting it out here, now!  Run was a run.....ugh.  Amazingly, I am in one piece, albeit sore, but I feel awesome and still so excited.  My husband is getting into it, too.  I bought some neat training clothes and gear and am going to start ramping up with a plan soon.  My pool is still closed, so I have to do a work-around until then.

Toodles,

2013-01-12 11:11 AM

New user

Alexandria, VA
Hello, My husband and I are training for our first sprint trithalon. I am a Pilates instructor, and Balance & Mobily instructor for older adults. At 59 I am looking to a new fitness challenge. What is the next step and is there a fee associated with this program. My best, Pat Backe
2013-01-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4574941

User image

Veteran
Daffodil - 2013-01-12 10:11 AM

Ybeal - 2013-01-12 8:02 AM Long run on last Saturday didn't go so well. I was suppose to do 7 miles but only did 5 since my shins were hurting. I can't seem to get past the shin/lower leg issues. It's not my shoes, I have orthotics, it's purely biomechanics and I'm working with a physical therapist and a massage therapist but its slow going. I'll keep trying. I'm training for a half Mary at the end of march, and for a sprint Tri. Wondering how little running i can get by with? I'm following a Jeff galloway plan which is 3 miles, twice a week and a long run on Saturday. I do the midweek runs at 2.5/1 run/walk interval and the long run a bit slower at 1:45/1 interval. If I increase spinning class and swimming could I get away with 1 run during the week and long run on Saturday? I need more recovery between runs, less impact, apparently I'm also running too upright and need to lean forward more but that's easier said than done. I'm getting freaked out because I'm not getting the miles in according to the plan and its stressing me out.

Personally if I couldn't run 3 or more days a week, I wouldn't train for a half marathon.  you need to have a good solid base of running to do a half marathon, and it sounds like you are already doing the bare minimum and seeing if you can cut it back further.  maybe you could plan to train for a 10 K in March instead and plan for a fall half marathon when you have had more time to build up a running base and deal with your shin injury?

LOL that is probably what I SHOULD do, but I've already registered for the 1/2 and am doing it with my DH, and he won't if I don't.  I could walk it if the running just isn't working....though that would take awhile.  It's just so frustrating because I want to do it, I have the motivation, but my body just won't cooperate!!

2013-01-12 3:28 PM

User image

New user

Florida

If there's still room, I'd like to join your group.

I did my first sprint tri last fall and am looking to start training now for my second in April.  My first tri was mostly just for me to learn the whole process.  I finished my first one though it was no where close to what I'd hoped for time wise, but I did learn a lot and would love to gain some insight from someone who has done more than me.

Thanks.

2013-01-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4575043

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
TryNatTri - 2013-01-12 12:01 PM

Ok, I've been putting my stuff in the training log, but not so much here.  I am reading all the posts, though, so I'm still here!  That's probably kinda stalker-ish, though, no?

Alright, week one consisted of:

• Saturday: 8+ mile hike up a volcano mtn, Mt Longonot = yowza!
  • Tuesday: 1st ever swim lesson & swim, 1+ hour
  • Wednesday: 1st time on a bike in 17 years (sad, I did the math)
  • Friday: 1st run in probably 3+ years, 8:19 km (12 min mile) pace incl. warm-ups, one 3 min walk in middle

The mtn was awesome and beautiful and hard and so freakin high (2780 meters)!  Considering my hiking experience out here has consisted of once, in a ravine, I was challenged, to say the least.  The swim was confidence-boosting!  I have an "elegant" freestyle stroke, per the instructor.  So, I just got some tweaks, pointers, corrected my breast stroke, learned kick-turns.  I won't need more lessons! Yay, $$!  My butt still hurts from the bike.  It was an upright gym model.  I am reeeaaalllyy researching getting a decent bike and getting it out here, now!  Run was a run.....ugh.  Amazingly, I am in one piece, albeit sore, but I feel awesome and still so excited.  My husband is getting into it, too.  I bought some neat training clothes and gear and am going to start ramping up with a plan soon.  My pool is still closed, so I have to do a work-around until then.

Toodles,

You Rock!!
2013-01-12 6:47 PM

had my swimming lesson today not too bad..... says my strokes are good and i could use work on my kicking and that once I master bilateral breathing I should be oki also got 5 miles in on the indoor cyclei feel good
2013-01-13 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

HI there,

I'd love to join the group- I'm not a newbie however But I love to help, provide motivation and enouragement when it's needed! I am a mother of a 3 year old, I just raced my first marathon, olympic, half ironman and Ironman race in 2012...and I work full time!  i'm also14 weeks pregnant with my second!

I love to hear how mom's do it and also if any mom's here kept active during pregnancy and their tips. I did with my last however much more tired this time and fighting inner-demons that want to train like i'm still training for ironman but knowing I can't!!

Any other Canadians out there as well?? I've been on mentor groups before and found them however there is not many of them!

2013-01-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4566961

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Daffodil - 2013-01-07 5:40 PM

I would like to join too if there is room?

NAME: Daffodil/Laura

STORY:  So I'm not a newbie, not even close, but I am starting a new journey of my life now.  I am just shy of 11 weeks pregnant with our first child.  I have been doing running races since 2000 and triathlons since 2001 and have done pretty much everything there is - from super sprint to Ironman from 5 K to marathon.  I have had a lot of typical running injuries and some not so typical ones (including ACL reconstruction and recovery).  My main goal right now is to stay fit and healthy through pregnancy and do a couple of "races" pregnant.  I have done IMFL (2010) and IMWI (2012).   Long term I would like to do an ironman again in 2014, but that will likely be the last for a while.  I love training long.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a dog and a Cat and a bun in the oven (due date July 31)

CURRENT TRAINING: Whatever I can through first trimester fatigue and morning sickness.  haven't done anything for two weeks as I currently have a chest infection (ugh).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Misssissauga Half marathon, Guelph Olympic, Peterborough half aquabike, Ironmna Wisconsin

RACES 2013: ???  Woodstock either sprint tri or try-a-tri depending on how I am feeling come May, Lakeside sprint or try-a-tri depending on how quickly I recover from childbirth (first and last races of the season!)

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to end the year at the same weight as I was at my IM.  I will gain a lot of weight before then though!!!

Hey Laura-

Loooks like we are in the same boat!! I am 14 weeks prego and am an Ironman as well.....Just trying to balance what's too much and not enough training with this pregnancy. Wanting to enter some races without people yelling at me or thinking i'm crazy!! I really want to do a super sprint in May as well.

From 9-12 weeks I had nausea and was very tired- now i feel alot better and wanting to get back at it! Seeming easy to pick up where I left off at a modified pace. Have also been on the edge with work and what I would actually be doing in my job ( i have a non-safe job for pregos) so I just found out this week what I'll be doing and excited to finally have a routine!

I stayed active in my last pregnancy (however had not done any tri's prior!)- had a easy labor (under 7 hrs) and very good recovery! ( was running 3 weeks later since I had no issues) I absolutely believe it's benificial to stay active as a result!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10