Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-28 9:50 PM
in reply to: #4598901

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Tri with Seren - CLOSED!
I would do either a or b, depending on what your schedule is like.  For example, if you are following a schedule that ends in a race, I would probably do a.  If not, just following a training plan, probably b.  I don't think I would ever do c or d.  You want to make sure that you are training safely and avoiding injury.  You also want to make sure that you don't miss too many workouts though.  The plans are made to help you increase gradually and avoid overtraining injury.

2013-01-29 3:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
br1an_tri - 2013-01-28 10:40 PM

Question for the group: Say that you're following a training plan, and you fall behind.  You miss a workout, maybe two.  Do you:

a) Skip the missed workout, continue on with the next day of your plan like nothing happened;

b) Do the missed workout, push everything back by a day;

c) Cram the missed workout in, even if that means working out twice in a day or more consecutive training days without a rest day, than you would like;

d) Lump the missed workout in with the next workout of that exercise (e.g. if you missed a swim, then next time you swim do the scheduled swim plus the missed swim).

And does it make a difference if you have missed two workouts?

Option A is the best.  Never go back and try and make up missed workouts.  If you are following a schedule for a race,  you risk overtraining the last couple weeks before your big race. 

I have to travel at times and can't always do my workouts.  I have found that when I come back, my planned run, bike, or swim for that day is a great workout because I feel guilty about missing workouts and I will be using rested muscles.  If you find that you are consistently missing one day a week, you may want to rethink your schedule.  Listen to your body when it needs rest.  

If you have the proper base, missing a couple days here and there isn't going to hurt you. 

2013-01-29 4:29 AM
in reply to: #4598869

User image

Haymarket, VA
mrscanmore - 2013-01-28 10:22 PM

I got a kurt kinetic road machine.  I've heard good things about them.  I set it up last night, but not sure how to get my bike on with the quick release.  So, it is still sitting there.  I'll have to see if there is a video.  I am  not very handy!

I headed out skiing again tonight.  It is a beautiful night.  We went 5km.

Very nice.  I believe with that model you can add their power meter if you don't have one for your bike.   DCRainmaker has a very good review of the product.  It runs for about $200 off of amazon, or if you use the 10% discount from dcrainmaker on clever training it is $180.

Let us know if you still have issues with the quick release today.

2013-01-29 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4599092

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
I think I figured out the quick release, I have to use that extra piece that came in to slide around the quick release.  Now I have to find the right wrench!
2013-01-29 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4553135

User image

Haymarket, VA

This morning after a 300m warmup I finally ditched the swimmer's snorkel.  Wow, I really need to yell at my parents for not having me go through proper swimming lessons when I was younger.  I really, really, really need to work on my swimming technique.  I struggled through another 300m, but I was pausing after each lap for about 15s.  I seem to be able to breath pretty well when I do so from my left side, but on my right I'm having to do a stabilizing doggy paddle with my right arm (best way I can describe it) to keep my face out of the water enough to get a decent breath.  I'm also not exhaling through my nose, but through my mouth.  I just can't get used to exhaling through the nose, way too many years of scuba diving have it engrained in my head do not exhale through the nose. 

I think I'm going to start going daily to the pool, but doing much shorter workouts so that I can work on my technique.  I picked up the DVD from TriSwimCoach so I'll be reviewing that for tips.

2013-01-29 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
br1an_tri - 2013-01-28 10:40 PM

Question for the group: Say that you're following a training plan, and you fall behind.  You miss a workout, maybe two.  Do you:

a) Skip the missed workout, continue on with the next day of your plan like nothing happened;

b) Do the missed workout, push everything back by a day;

c) Cram the missed workout in, even if that means working out twice in a day or more consecutive training days without a rest day, than you would like;

d) Lump the missed workout in with the next workout of that exercise (e.g. if you missed a swim, then next time you swim do the scheduled swim plus the missed swim).

And does it make a difference if you have missed two workouts?

I used to try to make them up but now I just keep forging ahead and just miss them.  I teach my husband the same thing.....mainly coz we workout 7 days a week switching between high and low intensity days

2013-01-29 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Hi Gang!

Looks like everyone is doing well.  Sorry I've been absent but Ive been laying in bed since Friday night with that awful cold that everyone;s got.  I've missed 2 days of work so far and too many workouts to count, since i've started 2 a days.   I can handle days off from work, but NOT missing my workouts.  Looks like I'm gonna try to go back to work tomorrow but the workouts will have to wait another couple of days.  Last year I jumped the gun and got in the pool when I thought I was on the mend and BAM!  I got hit with another bout of the flu.  So this year I;m gonna play it conservatively

2013-01-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4599377

User image

Haymarket, VA
Seren - 2013-01-29 10:00 AM

Hi Gang!

Looks like everyone is doing well.  Sorry I've been absent but Ive been laying in bed since Friday night with that awful cold that everyone;s got.  I've missed 2 days of work so far and too many workouts to count, since i've started 2 a days.   I can handle days off from work, but NOT missing my workouts.  Looks like I'm gonna try to go back to work tomorrow but the workouts will have to wait another couple of days.  Last year I jumped the gun and got in the pool when I thought I was on the mend and BAM!  I got hit with another bout of the flu.  So this year I;m gonna play it conservatively

Take it easy Seren.  If what you have is anything like what's been going around my office you could be out for over a week if you try and rush things.

2013-01-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4599322

User image

Expert
Boston
mleech77 - 2013-01-29 9:34 AM

This morning after a 300m warmup I finally ditched the swimmer's snorkel.  Wow, I really need to yell at my parents for not having me go through proper swimming lessons when I was younger.  I really, really, really need to work on my swimming technique.  I struggled through another 300m, but I was pausing after each lap for about 15s.  I seem to be able to breath pretty well when I do so from my left side, but on my right I'm having to do a stabilizing doggy paddle with my right arm (best way I can describe it) to keep my face out of the water enough to get a decent breath.  I'm also not exhaling through my nose, but through my mouth.  I just can't get used to exhaling through the nose, way too many years of scuba diving have it engrained in my head do not exhale through the nose. 

I think I'm going to start going daily to the pool, but doing much shorter workouts so that I can work on my technique.  I picked up the DVD from TriSwimCoach so I'll be reviewing that for tips.

When I started bilateral breathing I had the same issue.  I couldn't get my face outta the water enough to take a breath without sinking.  Then it hit me!  I wasn't rotating enough on that "off" side.  My coach had me practice the backstroke, not coz he wanted me to know the stroke but because with each stroke you have to rotate your body to each side.   When I flipped over for the front crawl I began to really start a good rotationl

Here's a great article on exhalation

http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation_beg.html

Edited by Seren 2013-01-29 1:20 PM
2013-01-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4599854

User image

Haymarket, VA
Seren - 2013-01-29 2:11 PM When I started bilateral breathing I had the same issue.  I couldn't get my face outta the water enough to take a breath without sinking.  Then it hit me!  I wasn't rotating enough on that "off" side.  My coach had me practice the backstroke, not coz he wanted me to know the stroke but because with each stroke you have to rotate your body to each side.   When I flipped over for the front crawl I began to really start a good rotationl

Here's a great article on exhalation

http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation_beg.html

Very nice article.  It brings up some very good points.  I don't think I have a problem with exhaling itself, just doing it through my nose instead of out the mouth.  Years of scuba have taught me, if you are underwater, and don't have a reg in your mouth you should be exhaling.  I always tell the students I work with, I want to see bubbles, bubbles, bubbles.  So having my mouth exposed underwater while swimming it's just natural for me to exhale.  I'm going to take some video of myself and take a look to be sure.  Another good thing about being an avid scuba diver, and the photographer for my group I usually dive with, I have three different u/w video cameras.

Hopefully it's just that I'm not rotating enough, and it will just take time for me to get used to doing so.

2013-01-29 8:33 PM

Rockville, MD
mleech77 - 2013-01-29 9:34 AM

I took lessons and was on a swim team for 5 years when I was a kid.  I have always exhaled through the mouth and it works fine for me.  So my advice is I wouldn't worry too much about that... spend your time working on what you're doing with your arms, legs, torso.

2013-01-29 8:50 PM

User image

mleech77 - 2013-01-29 8:34 AM

I feel your pain.  I've been swimming two nights a week since Sept. with help from the triswimcoach DVD.  I improved for a bit but then I slowed down.  Arrggh.  I'm sticking with the drills and hoping that the technique will all come together one day and I'll be motoring through the lanes.  Seren put up a link to www.swimsmooth.com.  There are a lot of other good articles on the site also and some great animations.

2013-01-30 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

As much as we would like to just cycle on the flats, there are hills in our terrain.  Whats the best way to get up and over them?  

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/climb-hills.html

Why should you do hill repeats on the cycle?  It makes you stronger and faster on the flats.....ZOOM ZOOM! 

2013-01-30 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Transitions - the fourth discipline in traithlon.   Dont neglect it!  Practice what you are going to do in your living room...over and over and over until you can do it with you eyes closed!

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/get-out-zone

2013-01-30 10:57 AM

User image

New user

Alexandria, VA
Question for the field: I have a road bike, and I'm training for a half ironman. Really, how important is it to get aero bars and clip-in shoes for the ride? Must I also get my bike "fitted," etc.? I'm cheap and trying to do things gradually. These seem rather expensive, so I thought some other opinions might help. Thanks!
2013-01-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4601307

User image

Welcome back Seren.  I hope your recovery is swift. 

Swimsmooth does have some very useful videos.  I watched one that particularly addressed the crawl stroke for intermediate swimmers with short arms, and it was helpful.

Shood, I don't know about the aero bars, but I spend a lot of time on the bike with friends and have joined a racing team (aero bars are not allowed).  Start clipping in.  At first, it will feel awkward and you will question the gains in efficiency, but then if you go back to flat pedals you will understand the difference.  They are particularly useful on hills or if you need to sprint because they allow you to pull up with your legs instead of just push down.  This allows you use a wider variety of muscles so you aren't wearing out a few and have better endurance.

As for getting fitted, I know a lot of people treat it like a commandment, but it might not be necessary.  If you get yours shoes and pedals (and aero bars) from a good bikeshop, they will set you up on the trainer, show you how to use everything, and give you a basic fitting.  Ride several times and if you are uncomfortable or have pain, spend the money for a proper fitting.  There are also some good guides online about how high your seat should be and other basics that you can test yourself.  I was comfortable on my road bike for long stretches, but caved to the pressure of getting a professional fitting, and it was a total waste of money.

2013-01-30 11:54 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

shood - 2013-01-30 11:57 AM Question for the field: I have a road bike, and I'm training for a half ironman. Really, how important is it to get aero bars and clip-in shoes for the ride? Must I also get my bike "fitted," etc.? I'm cheap and trying to do things gradually. These seem rather expensive, so I thought some other opinions might help. Thanks!

I can't speak to how important it is as I haven't even done a race yet, but as for the cost it isn't all that bad.  I will say that it has felt a heck of a lot better tucked in on the aero bars than on the horns or drops during my workouts since then. 

You're in my area so these names will probably make sense, but I picked up some basic aero bars and decent clip pedals at The Bike Lane in Reston for $225 total.  I lucked out and they had Garneau Tri Lite's in my size that were on closeout from last year so that was another $90.  The installation of the bars/pedals was free, as is a basic fitting as far as I know.  Since I'd picked up my bike there the full fitting was also free. Both Bike Lane and Performance are having pretty good sales right now so you could probably pick up what you want on the cheap. 

2013-01-30 12:48 PM

User image

shood - 2013-01-30 10:57 AM Question for the field: I have a road bike, and I'm training for a half ironman. Really, how important is it to get aero bars and clip-in shoes for the ride? Must I also get my bike "fitted," etc.? I'm cheap and trying to do things gradually. These seem rather expensive, so I thought some other opinions might help. Thanks!

Here is a great site to see what happens when you switch tires, hand position, wt, etc.

http://bikecalculator.com/

Clip in shoes also make a difference but they take some getting used to as you use different muscles.  Same with aerobars.

2013-01-31 2:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

shood - 2013-01-30 11:57 AM Question for the field: I have a road bike, and I'm training for a half ironman. Really, how important is it to get aero bars and clip-in shoes for the ride? Must I also get my bike "fitted," etc.? I'm cheap and trying to do things gradually. These seem rather expensive, so I thought some other opinions might help. Thanks!

You don't need aerobars or clip-in shoes to race but they do help.  I like to be clip in so that I can pull up and push down.  If you wear running shoes, try and get pedals that have straps.  For sprints, I wear running shoes with straps so I don't have to take time to change shoes.  For long rides, its worth putting the clip-in shoes on.  

Aero bars.  I think they really help but you don't need them.  It helps with the wind.  You may not notice a big time distance with a sprint race but if you ride longer, being in the aero position will improve you time.  Unfortunately, if you aren't fitted right, you will notice pain in your lower back and neck after being in the aero position for too long. 

I am not an expert but this is what I have experienced. 

2013-01-31 3:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

Three Swimming question:

I am looking for some good swimming workouts  Unfortunately, everything I find want me to do a lot of different strokes such as backstroke, breast stroke and even the fly.   I have been concentrating on just free style because I want to make sure I am efficient with that stroke and that I can cover the swimming distance.   I do drills but only freestyle drills.  Breast stroke is my comfort stroke. 

Question 1:  where can I go for some good swimming workouts?

Question 2:  Is it important to do all the other strokes?

Question 3:  I can't flip turn and not sure if I need to learn.  What is everyone's opinion on flip turns.  

Thanks

2013-01-31 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4602332

User image

I am curious about the flip turn, too.  I don't know how to do it, and I have been hesitant to try because it would mess up a planned workout.

2013-01-31 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4602332

User image

jslacker - 2013-01-31 3:03 AM

Three Swimming question:

I am looking for some good swimming workouts  Unfortunately, everything I find want me to do a lot of different strokes such as backstroke, breast stroke and even the fly.   I have been concentrating on just free style because I want to make sure I am efficient with that stroke and that I can cover the swimming distance.   I do drills but only freestyle drills.  Breast stroke is my comfort stroke. 

Question 1:  where can I go for some good swimming workouts?

Question 2:  Is it important to do all the other strokes?

Question 3:  I can't flip turn and not sure if I need to learn.  What is everyone's opinion on flip turns.  

Thanks

\

I'm just a beginner swimmer but here's my two cents.  Sorry, two nickels since they've discontinued the penny in Canada.

1.  http://www.swimsmooth.com/

2.  I only learned the freestyle and the breast stroke since those are the only two I'll use.  The breaststroke is for if I want to rest.

3. I saw no point in learning the turn since there are no walls to turn off of in a triathlon.

2013-01-31 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4603322

User image

Haymarket, VA
b2run - 2013-01-31 4:41 PM

3. I saw no point in learning the turn since there are no walls to turn off of in a triathlon.

Even the indoor ones I've researched have the format where you complete a length, go under the divider, and push off from the wall, so you wouldn't do a flip turn for those either.

2013-01-31 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4603337

User image

New user

Alexandria, VA
I think you're right. I use flip turns in my workouts... But with each one I feel sort of like I'm cheating. No walls on an open swim.
mleech77 - 2013-01-31 4:53 PM
b2run - 2013-01-31 4:41 PM

Even the indoor ones I've researched have the format where you complete a length, go under the divider, and push off from the wall, so you wouldn't do a flip turn for those either.

2013-02-01 10:07 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Just found out an interesting bit of information based on a post in the forums.  Swim snorkels are allowed in USAT events?   I found it a little hard to believe, so emailed the RD for the sprint I'm registered for in April.  Got a response back from her that they're legal to use.  

I'm not planning on using mine, I'd rather work on my breathing, form, technique, and swim without it.  Considering it's the part that I'm the least confident with though it gives me a certain sense of comfort that if push comes to shove the day of I can use the snorkel as a fallback plan.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri with Seren - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 10