BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-10 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4737017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open
JREDFLY - 2013-05-10 3:18 PM

luv2bhealthy - 2013-05-10 3:51 PM
Howaussie - 2013-05-10 11:42 AMI'm in. I have been stockpiling since last week. Was at a conference in San Francisco and despite a stagger, stagger, crawl. crawl daily early morning jog along the Embarcadero, found the potential loss of weight there surpassed by the Ghirardelli shop attached to the hotel.
Hmmmm...Ghirardelli!

I don't drink or smoke so a man has to have one vice.

Chocolate is my weakness.

I am right there with you! My vices are ice cream, good chocolate, and coffee.

2013-05-10 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4737017

User image

Howaussie - 2013-05-10 11:42 AMI'm in. I have been stockpiling since last week. Was at a conference in San Francisco and despite a stagger, stagger, crawl. crawl daily early morning jog along the Embarcadero, found the potential loss of weight there surpassed by the Ghirardelli shop attached to the hotel.
Hmmmm...Ghirardelli!

x2

Preach it brother.  I'll turn the pages.

2013-05-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4737338

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
b2run - 2013-05-11 6:29 AM

Hmmmm...Ghirardelli!

x2

Ok. I'm in on the weight loss challenge, although I'm pretty sure the only way i can win is if the rest of you guys stop training and start eating.  So, they you go....pick up those forks!

PS--Wine is my vice.

2013-05-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4737676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
lutzman - 2013-05-11 9:26 AM
b2run - 2013-05-11 6:29 AM

Hmmmm...Ghirardelli!

x2

I won't win, but I'm always up for a challenge!

On another note, I really messed up this morning's race.  I am usually the one to get the time, race starting place, etc. correct.  For some reason, I thought this mornings race started at 7:30.  Me and 3 others get to the race at 7:07 to see all these people running.  Come to find out, the race started at 7:00!  I wanted to pick up the race from where we parked (I estimated it was only about a mile into the race).  Someone else wanted to start from the start.  By the time we walk to the start, there were 5kers finishing so that was a no go.  My running buddy and her two sons decide ok, that's it, no running today.  I said, "Hey, we paid, we can still run.  So what if we don't do the whole race."  We walk out to the running area and it happened to be mile 3.  We started running.  It was a 5k instead of a 10k, but it was a faster 5k than I had run in a while which pleased me.  Making lemonade out of those lemons!

Ok. I'm in on the weight loss challenge, although I'm pretty sure the only way i can win is if the rest of you guys stop training and start eating.  So, they you go....pick up those forks!

PS--Wine is my vice.

2013-05-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4737779

User image

New user

Count me in on the weight loss challenge. 

2013-05-12 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Time for Sunday night weigh-ins.

It was my birthday Friday and I think I ate a little too much cake and ice cream, in at 176.

2013-05-12 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I'd like to join this group. Will post ad bio later tonight.
2013-05-13 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Welcome Cathy, glad to have you aboard.  Look forward to reading your bio!

I'm at 202 and going into 2 weeks of out of town business.  Talk about giving you all a head start!

Stu

2013-05-13 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4738941

User image

Regular

cathyd - 2013-05-13 4:54 AM I'd like to join this group. Will post ad bio later tonight.

Hi Cathy--welcome to the group!  We'll look forward to reading your bio!

2013-05-13 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: It's Monday...Let's get it started!

Hey everyone--

I hope you all had a terrific weekend! I spent mine on the eastcoast celebrating with my son as he finished his graduate degree at VCU.  It was a great time, but the sort of bad news is the training plan went to hell and I ate and drank like a Caribbean pirate.

But now it's Monday...

So, this morning I flew from Washington DC to San Diego.  I'll be here until Friday on business, but no more excuses.  So, the plan for today is a nice run outdoors on the waterfront here in SD followed by some time on the indoor bike at the hotel health club.  Swimming will take a back seat for me this week as the hotel pool is "closed for renovation".  Cie la vie.

I'll send in my official weight for the contest when I get home.  I'd do it today, but I figure I need to use the same scale for before/after just for consistency.

Summer race season is nearly upon us....no more goofing off!  Go get 'em.

Have a great week everybody!

2013-05-13 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4727672

User image

Regular
North Carolina
lutzman - 2013-05-05 12:17 AM

Bull - 2013-05-05 8:52 AM Hi. I'm Rick and interested in joining your group. Little about me, 54 y/o, 55 in September. I've been happily married for 30 years, have two children, three grandchildren. My daughter was a collegiate swimmer! Now a teacher, my son went to college and majored in partying and co- eds, he's now serving in the US Army. I'm proud of them both. I served in the US Navy. January 2012 i weighed over 350 pounds, my new year's resolution was to lose 100 pounds. fast forward to January 2013, decided i'd run a triathlon. February I ran a 5k as a warm- up, finished 3rd in my age group, one month later I ran my first sprint triathlon, finishing third in my AG. If you're asking, there were more than three of us! LOL. Last month i ran the tri-mayberry (Andy's hometown), the bike ride was grueling, the first nine miles was up hill with almost a thousand foot climb, but the ride back down the mountain was a blast! To date I've run two triathlons and my third is May 19th, my first open water swim. Between triathlons i run 5ks with my wife who has decided to take up running, with a little coaxing i think i may get her to give it a tri. My plan is to run a triathlon a month, each more challenging and longer than the one before, with the ultimate goal of running the Beach to Battleship HIM in Wilmington, NC this October and if my health holds out, run the full IM October 2014. Oh yeah, my weight, I now weigh 165 pounds, never felt better. I currently live in Erwin, NC , the middle of nowhere and the capital of absolutely nothing to do. A typical workout week is up at 4AM, bike 8.5 miles to the gym where i workout for approximately an hour, then 8.5 miles back to the house, walk the dog for a mile, on days i don't ride my bike i run 3 miles to/ from the gym, try to swim three times a week. All this before work. Now that the days are getting longer i'm going to change up and ride the bike every morning, then stop by the lake for a swim on the way home from work every other day and run every other day. Over the weekends i rest one day and the other i'll either do a 8-12 mile run, 50+ mile bike ride, or hit the pool or lake for a one to two hour swim. Ultimately want to extend these runs to four plus hours and 100 mile bike rides.

Hi Rick:

Holy Cow!  Seriously?   From 350 to 165?  That is spectacular and inspirational. Good luck on your race on the 19th.  One of the things I really like about sprint and olympic distance races (unlike HIM/IM) is there is a relatively quick recovery.   Given your training, your objective of a race a month is realistic.

Last year I plugged in 10 triathlons...basically one a month from March through December.  It' was pretty doable with a caveat.  The "watch out" is hitting a plateau in your training because you can easily schedule of three weeks hard training, one week taper/race which can develop into a training rut.  After a couple of months the improvement stops with out a solid rest/recovery cycle.  So it's important to build that into your annual plan.

I learned the hard way last year at Age Group Nationals.  After starting out racing in March, I hit it every month right up to the national race in August.  But by the time I hit late July my times were beginning to get worse.  By August, my 57 year old body was just plain flat.  I had the worst race of the entire summer at Age Group Nationals.  So I backed it off for about four weeks for a rest/recovery period and then built a training block for a race in October and another in December...and had my two best races of the year.

It's tricky stuff trying to dial in the training for 55+.  Mentally, I keep telling myself I can train with the intensity (albeit slower) I did when I was 30.  Physically, I just can keep it up.  REST days and "easy weeks" are so much more important for recovery.

Good luck and welcome to the group.  I'll look forward to hearing about your race on the 19th!

Steve 

Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I've had an unexpected illness and death in the family.  Glad to be part of the group.  Sometimes I have to pinch myself to beleive I actually did it, and now it's hard for me to imagine myself at 350 PLUS pounds.   At my age I fully uinderstand the need for rest and recovery, which is why I'm building slowly.  If you know anything about Eastern, NC, soon it will be very hot, very humid and very miserable and I'll probabaly have to modify my workouts to deal with the heat and humodit.. But right now I'm planning on striking while the iron is hot so to speak.  I also vary my routines and exercises so I don't get into a rut and to keep it interesting.   I'm reaady for my next tri this weekend, this week keeping the workouts light.  The mistake I made on my last tri was I trained very hard right up to the day (thinking it was only a sprint), even though I finished, I felt very tired and sluggish through the whole race. This time, keeping loose this week and hopefully go into it rested and ready.

Edited by Bull 2013-05-13 1:46 PM

2013-05-13 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4740220

User image

New user

Michigan
Bull - 2013-05-13 2:45 PM
lutzman - 2013-05-05 12:17 AM

Bull - 2013-05-05 8:52 AM Hi. I'm Rick and interested in joining your group. Little about me, 54 y/o, 55 in September. I've been happily married for 30 years, have two children, three grandchildren. My daughter was a collegiate swimmer! Now a teacher, my son went to college and majored in partying and co- eds, he's now serving in the US Army. I'm proud of them both. I served in the US Navy. January 2012 i weighed over 350 pounds, my new year's resolution was to lose 100 pounds. fast forward to January 2013, decided i'd run a triathlon. February I ran a 5k as a warm- up, finished 3rd in my age group, one month later I ran my first sprint triathlon, finishing third in my AG. If you're asking, there were more than three of us! LOL. Last month i ran the tri-mayberry (Andy's hometown), the bike ride was grueling, the first nine miles was up hill with almost a thousand foot climb, but the ride back down the mountain was a blast! To date I've run two triathlons and my third is May 19th, my first open water swim. Between triathlons i run 5ks with my wife who has decided to take up running, with a little coaxing i think i may get her to give it a tri. My plan is to run a triathlon a month, each more challenging and longer than the one before, with the ultimate goal of running the Beach to Battleship HIM in Wilmington, NC this October and if my health holds out, run the full IM October 2014. Oh yeah, my weight, I now weigh 165 pounds, never felt better. I currently live in Erwin, NC , the middle of nowhere and the capital of absolutely nothing to do. A typical workout week is up at 4AM, bike 8.5 miles to the gym where i workout for approximately an hour, then 8.5 miles back to the house, walk the dog for a mile, on days i don't ride my bike i run 3 miles to/ from the gym, try to swim three times a week. All this before work. Now that the days are getting longer i'm going to change up and ride the bike every morning, then stop by the lake for a swim on the way home from work every other day and run every other day. Over the weekends i rest one day and the other i'll either do a 8-12 mile run, 50+ mile bike ride, or hit the pool or lake for a one to two hour swim. Ultimately want to extend these runs to four plus hours and 100 mile bike rides.

Hi Rick:

Holy Cow!  Seriously?   From 350 to 165?  That is spectacular and inspirational. Good luck on your race on the 19th.  One of the things I really like about sprint and olympic distance races (unlike HIM/IM) is there is a relatively quick recovery.   Given your training, your objective of a race a month is realistic.

Last year I plugged in 10 triathlons...basically one a month from March through December.  It' was pretty doable with a caveat.  The "watch out" is hitting a plateau in your training because you can easily schedule of three weeks hard training, one week taper/race which can develop into a training rut.  After a couple of months the improvement stops with out a solid rest/recovery cycle.  So it's important to build that into your annual plan.

I learned the hard way last year at Age Group Nationals.  After starting out racing in March, I hit it every month right up to the national race in August.  But by the time I hit late July my times were beginning to get worse.  By August, my 57 year old body was just plain flat.  I had the worst race of the entire summer at Age Group Nationals.  So I backed it off for about four weeks for a rest/recovery period and then built a training block for a race in October and another in December...and had my two best races of the year.

It's tricky stuff trying to dial in the training for 55+.  Mentally, I keep telling myself I can train with the intensity (albeit slower) I did when I was 30.  Physically, I just can keep it up.  REST days and "easy weeks" are so much more important for recovery.

Good luck and welcome to the group.  I'll look forward to hearing about your race on the 19th!

Steve 

Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I've had an unexpected illness and death in the family.  Glad to be part of the group.  Sometimes I have to pinch myself to beleive I actually did it, and now it's hard for me to imagine myself at 350 PLUS pounds.   At my age I fully uinderstand the need for rest and recovery, which is why I'm building slowly.  If you know anything about Eastern, NC, soon it will be very hot, very humid and very miserable and I'll probabaly have to modify my workouts to deal with the heat and humodit.. But right now I'm planning on striking while the iron is hot so to speak.  I also vary my routines and exercises so I don't get into a rut and to keep it interesting.   I'm reaady for my next tri this weekend, this week keeping the workouts light.  The mistake I made on my last tri was I trained very hard right up to the day (thinking it was only a sprint), even though I finished, I felt very tired and sluggish through the whole race. This time, keeping loose this week and hopefully go into it rested and ready.

Wow Rick you are impressive!

2013-05-13 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4740220

User image

Regular

Hey Rick--Good luck this weekend.  Sounds like you've got a good plan in place.  Keep some short easy workouts in just to keep your legs loose.

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-13 6:18 PM
2013-05-13 8:16 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

WE NEED WEIGHTS

Portly
  Triahtlon Challenge 5/12
Original  WeightCurrent WeightAmount LostPercentage  Lost
dustytrails0000%
Howaussie0000%
Jredfly17617600%
juneapple20220200%
Kay Ewing15015000%
Lutzman0000%
luv2bhealthy0000%
2013-05-13 8:59 PM

User image

Anyone else have hand and wrist problems on the bike?  I've only been outside biking three times this year (it snowed all day yesterday) but each time my hands and wrists get sore, especially in the drop position.  I do have a bit of a battle with arthritis so that may be it.  I did turn my handlebars down a bit and it has helped slightly.  Anything else I can do?
2013-05-13 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4740944

User image

Regular

b2run - 2013-05-14 6:59 AM Anyone else have hand and wrist problems on the bike?  I've only been outside biking three times this year (it snowed all day yesterday) but each time my hands and wrists get sore, especially in the drop position.  I do have a bit of a battle with arthritis so that may be it.  I did turn my handlebars down a bit and it has helped slightly.  Anything else I can do?

I don't ride on the drops often enough to really know.  On my road bike, most of the time I'm up on top.  On my TT bike, pretty much every part of my upper body gets sore.  I've found the only solution is to put in more time so I can adjust to the discomfort levels.  That and Ibuprophen.

2013-05-14 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Bio as promised:

Name: Cathy

Story:  Runner since 1998.  Did the local tri in 2006 as the runner on a relay team. Sitting in transition watching all the solo athletes come out of the swim and bike I decided I could do this sport too.  That fall I joined the Y and took swimming lessons.  In 2007 I did 6 tri's including this same local one solo and ending the season with a HIM.  The next year I did a more challenging HIM which ended up being my last tri.  At the end of 2009 I injured my foot at a half marathon and have been plagued with injuries since.  Several life events in 2010 - 2012 also halted any athletic aspirations I had.   I'm just now getting back into a somewhat consistent exercise schedule again.

Family status:  Married 34 years, 2 grown kids, 3 granddaughters

Current training:  Building consistency in bike/run.  Haven't been in the pool in weeks (my regular pool closed last spring and haven't found on with lap swimming schedules that work for me).  My goal for the year is to build consistency and do things I enjoy.

2013 Races:  My last race was a hm in 2009.  I have no races planned for this year.

Weightloss:  Would like to drop 10 - 15 lbs by Sept (have 2 weddings to go to and want to look good)

I think  this group will be a good fit for me and look forward to getting to know everyone.

2013-05-14 12:18 AM
in reply to: #4740880

User image

Expert
Ontario
JREDFLY - 2013-05-13 9:16 PM
  WE NEED WEIGHTS

Portly
  Triahtlon Challenge 5/12
dustytrails0000%
Howaussie0000%
Jredfly17617600%
juneapple20220200%
Kay Ewing15015000%
Lutzman0000%
luv2bhealthy0000%

I'd like in on this challenge also.  My starting weight is 142.

2013-05-14 12:21 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

b2run - 2013-05-13 9:59 PM Anyone else have hand and wrist problems on the bike?  I've only been outside biking three times this year (it snowed all day yesterday) but each time my hands and wrists get sore, especially in the drop position.  I do have a bit of a battle with arthritis so that may be it.  I did turn my handlebars down a bit and it has helped slightly.  Anything else I can do?

I had trouble with this the first year I had my road bike.  The following spring I got some clip-on aerobars which solved the problem and I consider probably the best investment in tri gear that I have made.  One thing that may help is doing some core exercises.. a really strong core will help to support your weight so your hands aren't doing so much.  Also a check of your bike fit - you shouldn't be getting that much soreness.

2013-05-14 6:08 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Thanks Cathyd!

Portly
  Triahtlon Challenge 5/13
cathyd14214200%
dustytrails0000%
Howaussie0000%
Jredfly17617600%
juneapple20220200%
Kay Ewing15015000%
Lutzman0000%
luv2bhealthy0000%

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-05-14 11:06 AM
2013-05-14 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
The only problem I have is my hands tend to fall asleep.  I've found that wearing gloves helps that alot. As far as comfort, I'm riding a cheapo road bike (can you say ebay?), actually not a bad bike, it's not a rocket and I'm sure it's holding me back some but I'm pretty handy with a wrench and I was extremely lucky in that it was a good ft for me right out of the box, with a few minor adjustments and tweaks it's served me fairly well.

2013-05-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4740880

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
JREDFLY - 2013-05-13 8:16 PM
  WE NEED WEIGHTS

Portly
  Triahtlon Challenge 5/12
dustytrails0000%
Howaussie0000%
Jredfly17617600%
juneapple20220200%
Kay Ewing15015000%
Lutzman0000%
luv2bhealthy0000%

Sorry about not getting my weight to you before now.  Was out of town over the weekend and staying with friends.  No scale!  Got back last night and decided to weigh on my scale this morning to get a true weight.  147.6!  I should be at 145, but not much training over the weekend and eating things I don't normally eat so this is good.  It will get me back on track.

2013-05-14 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I really need to get back on track with my training.  I just completed my first Oly on 4/28.  My next one is quickly approaching on May 26.  The training slacked.  I know I can do it, but I sure don't feel ready!
2013-05-14 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

Did a 3 HR straight swim this morning one  restroom stop  at about 1:45.  Total distance  was 7600m slightly  longer  the the Great Chesapeake  Swim next  month.  Now if the bay is flat a glass and 80 degrees like the pool, LOL, I should have no problems. 

Knee  still giving me problems when I walk  or do garden work.  My tape it  with Kinesio and try a a run this weekend.

Would also like  to join our weight loss group, I could lose seem stuck a about 180.  Getting a new  bathroom scale this week I  update my start weight when it comes.

2013-05-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4742367

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
tkatzhyman - 2013-05-14 3:38 PM

Did a 3 HR straight swim this morning one  restroom stop  at about 1:45.  Total distance  was 7600m slightly  longer  the the Great Chesapeake  Swim next  month.  Now if the bay is flat a glass and 80 degrees like the pool, LOL, I should have no problems. 

Knee  still giving me problems when I walk  or do garden work.  My tape it  with Kinesio and try a a run this weekend.

Would also like  to join our weight loss group, I could lose seem stuck a about 180.  Getting a new  bathroom scale this week I  update my start weight when it comes.

Amazing!  And in a pool, too!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37