BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-03-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Marshall Michigan
Subject: RE: The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN
Well I feel silly about posting 3 times in a row...I'll get over don't worry.

Just wanted to let you know the bike is on the road again....it felt so good this morning to ride again. I can't wait till tomorrow!
Now yes it took me 55min to do what I do in 35min during the summer - but man - I feel like a Millions bucks!

Going now to check out local races and start signing up for something. Come on Spring!
pb

2014-03-12 4:10 PM
in reply to: Paper Boy

User image

Hi all,

I guess Wednesday is the new Sunday. Let's see how everyone is doing who wrote in from last week's post.

Neil- Looks like you are having an easier week. You are getting some good runs in which is great. It probably is important to give your body some time to recover after the monster week that you had. Nice that you had a distance PR! You'd be surprised that if you can continually train then the PR's just keep coming and coming. I am not sure what the terrain is like in Mass where you are but if you are going to focus on the run try and find some hills. I have found training over here with lots of big ascents it seems to have really strengthen my running. It is like cardio-strength training.

Chris- Got to look at your training logs. I really like the goals that you have set for yourself. So sorry that you are sick it seems from your log. Looks like you are getting a good balance of disciplines in. Sunday was your first outdoor ride and mine was Saturday. It does feel great to get off the trainer. Not much swimming but you are getting in some good fast runs. I seem to recall that the run was your weakness. From your training logs if you can keep the 7 min / mile pace into an Olympic distance you should really crush you goal of sub 2:30 with your strong bike and swim. From reading your blog it seems like you flame out on the run in the race. You think you are pushing too hard on the bike? Is your nutrition dialled in?

Paul (Coach)- Welcome to the group. Always looking to add people who want to join. That is great that you are motivated to do some more triathlons. From your description it sounds like you are making good progress on your swim. Your story of your first race and the swimming sections rings so true with 50% of the people I talk to about their first tri. It is one thing on a bike or run to get caught up in the competition and go to hard, but on the swim when that happens it can get ugly really fast. Since you are up to 800 m it might be time to start doing intervals. Say 100 m at max effort. I think that you will find that as you push you body to deal with a more intense swim for short distances it will allow you to go faster for the longer ones. I really like your one post on your training log for your spinning class. I think everyone is ready to get outside!

Le'Ann- Looks like you are having a steady diet of run and swim from your logs Hopefully you can get on the bike soon. I can't imagine a half marathon in a tutu. It is great to do a race just for fun. A few times I have run races with friends just to give them moral support and it is such a different experience. I hope that you are able to find a 70.3. There is one in September in Canada? I think it is the world championship. You should do that one!

Bill- You are getting a lot of two a day runs in. Running in a snow storm sounds part fun and part insanity. Glad that you got your bike sorted. I hate taking my bike to the shop because when I low I can't ride for a few days I get worried. I think that your goals look awesome. The 730 miles in running is fantastic. I would recommend doing it in 7 ultra marathons. Just kidding. Consistency is the name of the game. You bring up a great point to about early season form. I felt a little frustrated the other day because I wasn't fast but really having unrealistic expectations about your performance so early in the season is counter productive and just to be getting back into the grove should be the only measure of success. Keep on having fun!

Myself- Got my first outside ride in on Saturday. It was absolutely beautiful. I rode down in the Rhone river valley which is fairly flat. I did 116 km (72 miles.) Felt good but my butt needs to toughen up a bit. Went for an hour long mountain run on Friday the day before. Sunday I toured in 10 km on my skis into the back country. I was really wiped out though and got to the couloir we were going to ski. After climbing about a quarter of the way up with ice axe and crampons and skis on my back I knew that the hard snow and my tired legs would be disaster so I went down. My skiing partner climbed the whole thing. My partner is Norwegian and a monster skier and to watch him slowly go down the 45 degree slope from the top on his skis reaffirmed that I had made the absolute correct decision. It is a good lesson on knowing when to push it and when to gracefully bow out. It has been really warm here this last week and there is no snow in sight. It might be the end of winter. Really excited about the upcoming race season. The swiss national team is allowing me to race with them in the ITU european duathlon championships in the Netherlands 13.April.

Seems like everyone is doing well. I am really encouraged by all of the great reports and training logs that I read. It should be about the enjoyment and knowing that what you are doing is great for the body and soul.

My favourite recent quote was told to me by a German as we stood together waiting for a marathon to start.

"Pain is temporary, glory is forever."

I hope this helps get you through the pre season workouts before the real fun of racing starts.

All the best,

Paul
2014-03-12 8:08 PM
in reply to: pfomalont

User image

Thanks Paul,

I had a nice swim today after the pool being closed on Monday.
man did I need it.
50 minutes in the pool.
5 minute of warmup TI drills.
then about 45 minutes of individual laps.
1 lap (up and back 50 yds) took me approx. 1:05 - on a good lap - man I'm slow.
But I was encouraged as I was faster than many in the pool.

So I was alternating
1:05
next lap start on 1:30
1:05
next lap start on 2:00

My next swim is Sat morning and I am going to get in some 100's.
-also encouraging is I am not gassed after a lap.

2014-03-13 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Life rocks out here in Colorado…… Putting in a few miles on the road bike…… Any day now the Yeti is coming out…… Shadow Boy & I will be timed on our 5k…. Thanx 2 the Western Slope Runners group……. RADIO SHOW…… THATS RIGHT…… NEXT RADIO SHOW WILL BE THIS FRIDAY THE 14TH OF MARCH…… WWW DOT KAFMRADIO DOT ORG…… CLICK ON LISTEN LIVE….. I AM HOSTING THE PARADISE CAFE @ 1PM COLORADO MT TIME ZONE……. The show right before me ( noon ) is the Kitchen Sink….. Its an hour long where folks can call in and sell, trade, & inform about up coming events…… You may wanna check it out as well…… And Now…. The Police are starting w/Don't Stand So Close To Me
2014-03-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: The Padre

User image

Hey all,

I had a nice bike today.
40 min 12 miles on the stationary.

immediately jumped onto the treadmill to Brick.
Felt GREAT for 5 min. then had debilitating calf cramps.
- Called it a night -

Second or third time I have had these types of cramps?

do you think stretching between will help?
Its only my right leg and I had right foot cramps during my swim Wed as well?
2014-03-15 3:58 AM

User image

Hi Neil,

Wow that is intense.

Here are my suggestions.

When you are doing a brick or in a triathlon it seems important to intentionally transition from the bike to the run. I would lower your effort a good 2 notches, try and do some subtle stretching on the bike in the last 5 - 10 minutes. Then when you start the run take it easy at first and give your body a kilometre or so to get into the groove.

Also maybe try some different nutrition. I have used salt tablets and especially if you sweat a lot they will keep the minerals that your body leeches up. I have also found bananas work well and again they have a lot of protein. Maybe try and eat one or a chunk during the ride and see what happens.

The most obvious is of course pushing too hard and too fast. From reading you logs you put in big efforts. Don't forget to recover. Recovering does't mean you have to stop exercising. You can go for an easy run or a spin on the bike. Just make sure the pace is no more than moderate exertion. You should be able to carry on a conversation while you exercise if the litmus test.

Hope this helps,

Let me know how it goes,

Paul

2014-03-15 4:12 AM

User image

Meant bananas have a lot of potassium.
2014-03-15 9:52 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips.

Ive added bananas, but not during the bike - Ill try that out next.
(or just before the bike so they have time to get in my system)....

I do sweat a lot. Would the salt tabs dehydrate me?
  • Also thanks for the tips on stretching it out on the last few miles on the bike.
  • So for today.
    1:15 in the pool

1X50
    then
    1X100
    Repeated that sequence.
    after every ending sequence I started my next sequence on the next round minute.
    (if I ended at :05 I rested for 55 sec. if I ended at 55 I rested for 5 sec).
    Although I took a couple of 1 min plus breaks to get some tips from some folks that were helping me with my form.
    Really it was all stuff I knew, but them pointing it out to me drilled it home and reminded me of what to do.

Funny enough - he told me I was kicking to quickly feverishly. and I was trying to slow my kick.
    So after that tip I even slowed my kick further and felt like a rocket through the water.

2014-03-16 10:35 AM
    in reply to: #4962118

Hey Paul,
    The Sept Tri is niot far from me and I have a friends in the area where I could stay, but it's 5 days after I return from a week in France. Prior to that 2 weeks in UK. I think the timing would be tough to get back into my time zone for the race, also to stay on track while on that trip. It's not one where I'll take my bike and swim suit. The runners always get packed

Where do you find salt tabs? I've looked around and have only found a hydration powder to add to water. Not preferable.
    2014-03-16 10:53 AM
    in reply to: #4966023

I'm hoping to get out on my bike soon. Especially since it's new. Just got it in Feb and its been sitting in the basement guest room since then. Just picked up new shoes, helmet, and pedals while in Florida. Hoping spring will come soon. Spin class 'til then I guess. I joined my local Tri group. Their training schedule starts the first week of May.
    I think it was Chris saying above he took a couple of days off and feels refreshed. I've been travelling a fair bit (currently sitting in Dulles Airport waiting for a flight) and trying to keep up the training for full marathon distance, but have really slugged through the last few. This morning was awful. Maybe need to try a small break.... I hate breaks. lol!

LeAnn
    2014-03-16 11:35 AM
    in reply to: LeAnnSeely

User image

Hi Le'Ann,

Here is a link to the salt tablets that I use. I would recommend getting the cool dispenser too, it works really well.

http://www.saltstick.com

I feel like everyone in this group is going through burn out right now. The winter is a really hard time to keep motivated and training is only so much fun. I think that you will be psyched to get on your bike. Outside exercise usually reinvigorates.

It's too bad that the Canada Half Ironman doesn't line up. I still would try it. I bet that even without much training you could still pull it off, but I understand if it doesn't work out.

Enjoy Dulles. My parents live in Virginia so I always fly in and out of that airport.

Paul

2014-03-16 9:01 PM

User image

New user
    I had my first swim lesson today after watching myself on video the other day - boy was that uglier than I thought it would be. You have no idea what you look like till you watch yourself on video, I should have known that as a football coach. Anyway I will be joining a Master Swim Class, I think this will get me over the hump, she has already corrected several things. I also happened to be swimming the other day by USA Tri Hall of Famer Susan Bradley-Cox, really nice lady, she gave me several pointers also. Gives me new energy.

Got 19 mile ride in FINALLY with all this bad weather in Ky, tough when you haven't gotten to ride much, hopefully weather can clear and I can catch up on bike miles over next two weeks.

Atlanta Tri in 20 days!
    2014-03-17 8:52 AM
    in reply to: coachrains

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Great weekend in Michigan.
    Long run on Saturday - 8 miles - felt good to run alittle without paper bag....just those last 2 miles.
    Rode bike this morning - 15ish miles. Legs where burning - snow moving slowly out of my way and things are picking up each ride....8 degrees...i'm still cold! 3 hours later.

Hope everyone has a super Monday.
    pb
    2014-03-17 1:00 PM
    in reply to: #4966031

User image

I had a great 5k yesterday - for me that is
    30:30
    9:50 a mile
    I have never broken 10 before - I feel GREAT about it!
    A little sore today
    2014-03-17 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Originally posted by Paper Boy

Great weekend in Michigan.
    Long run on Saturday - 8 miles - felt good to run alittle without paper bag....just those last 2 miles.
    Rode bike this morning - 15ish miles. Legs where burning - snow moving slowly out of my way and things are picking up each ride....8 degrees...i'm still cold! 3 hours later.

Hope everyone has a super Monday.
    pb

Wow, 8 degrees! Not in this lifetime. My hats off to ya. If its below 40, I don't ride.
    (Of course I have that luxury down here in the South.)
    2014-03-17 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Originally posted by Clarkey77

I had a great 5k yesterday - for me that is
    30:30
    9:50 a mile
    I have never broken 10 before - I feel GREAT about it!
    A little sore today

Great job on the PR!
    ...and you should be a little sore. If I race and am not sore the next day, I know I didn't go hard enough. A little soreness always lets me know that I pushed harder than my normal training intensity.

2014-03-17 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Awesome!! Shadow Boy & I finished in 39:48. Some day we both can break 30min. Good Luck
    2014-03-18 1:06 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
    Greetings! I would like to join this group, please. I just recently discovered Sprint Triathlons while searching the 'Net. I had no idea there were Triathlons in my league! I've only heard of Ironmans before! Sprint Tri's should be well within my reach because I regularly do at least one, if not two, of the three at least five days a week. My first Triathlon will be at the end of May. My goals are to finish and not be the last person. I am 51, and despite being fairly active and exercising regularly, I am very overweight and have severe arthritis in my left knee. It might slow me down a bit, but it certainly does not stop me! My bike is currently in the shop being modified with shorter crank arms to accommodate the limited range of motion in that knee. I should have it back by the end of the week, and then I can start putting miles on it again.

I start working with my new swim coach on Wednesday, and I'm really excited about it! I have a lot of work to get ready for that first Tri, but I know I can do it, and my doctor is almost as jazzed as I am. She is really helpful and one of my strongest advocates and cheerleaders. This has really energized my workouts and given me a goal to work toward. And, although I am not losing any weight, I've already dropped one size since the beginning of the year and I'm on my way to dropping another. Woohoo!
    2014-03-18 7:16 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Americus, Georgia
    Congrats, Neil!!! That's fantastic!!

I survived my first "brick" workout yesterday. 2 mile run followed by 800 meters in the pool. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be and I feel pretty good today. I have found someone here in town who is also training for her first sprint tri, the same one I'm shooting for in June. She's a better runner than me, so she was encouraging on that part, and I'm a stronger swimmer than her so I was able to help keep her moving in the pool. Worked out well! I've never trained with a partner before and have always shied away from it (I don't want to slow anyone down with my glacially paced running), but this was a great experience and we're planning to do it again later this week.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

Edited by marriedthepoolguy 2014-03-18 7:16 AM
    2014-03-18 7:42 AM
    in reply to: burner2

User image

New user
    Subject: burner2
    Great to have you with our group, you sound very similar to myself, except my knee has held up better. I did my frist sprint about 2 years ago, and no back at it. I have 3 or 4 scheduled for this year. Just now got a swim coach too, should have done it two years ago, "man that swimming is tough" Keep up the good, work! we will compare notes

Coach
    2014-03-18 10:32 AM
    in reply to: coachrains

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Subject: RE: burner2
    Good Morning everyone...hope your training day goes as planned.

Great morning ride for me - 86min on the bike - and temps where a lovely 24 degrees! The rest of the week looks great 40's in the afternoon and mid 20's for the early mornings- spring is on the way. I can't wait to go hit the trails!

Big plans for my commute from home...stop by the State Park and ride and run...some of the best mtb'ing in lower Michigan..I've always wanted to run the trails as well - but...some days after my real job is just to much....most afternoons I'm cooked. This year will be different!

I've just tried a treadmill for my 1st time this year....every Monday afternoon so far - and well it is kinda fun.
    I'm a slow runner which is fine with me...but this treadmill really holds your effort.....I now know what a 10 min mile is, 9 min mile feels like, what it feels like to run 10mph...which didn't last for long. What my paper route schuffle is - it seems to be 4.5 to 5mph if I guess correctly.

I plan to add this to my weekly excercise routine....this is my speed workout - my race pace - my intense training...I'm excited about it. 52min yesterday at 5.5 mph or darn close to it. I can't wait to increase the time and speed.....just need to add it slowly!

Thanks for listening.
    pb

2014-03-18 10:38 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
    PB, I'll defer to Paul and other, more experienced runners, but in my experience, I would caution you to be careful on how much feedback you get from the treadmill. Often, a treadmill is only teaching you how to keep up with the belt; it isn't teaching you how to propel yourself.
    Just food for thought.
    Jennifer
    2014-03-18 12:48 PM
    in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

PB, I'll defer to Paul and other, more experienced runners, but in my experience, I would caution you to be careful on how much feedback you get from the treadmill. Often, a treadmill is only teaching you how to keep up with the belt; it isn't teaching you how to propel yourself.
    Just food for thought.
    Jennifer

Yes please more food - i love to eat! and love to get all the help i can.
    90% is road/trail running - the treadmill is just new - and not what i'm used to, which is a nice change of pace.
    2014-03-18 1:25 PM
    in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
    I am a n00b and looked at the 13-week training plan. My workouts are already more intensive than what's listed and have been for quite a while. Not only am I trying to train for my first Sprint Tri, but I'm also trying to lose weight (not very successfully, although I am dropping clothing sizes!) and give my knee some physical therapy to increase my range of motion. I really do feel like crap if I miss even a single day in the pool. Personally, I can't see me following the 13-week plan AND getting in shape for a Sprint Tri. If I had a higher physical baseline to begin with (e.g., not so fat), it might work for me.
    2014-03-18 2:51 PM
    in reply to: burner2

User image

Marshall Michigan
    Originally posted by burner2

I am a n00b and looked at the 13-week training plan. My workouts are already more intensive than what's listed and have been for quite a while. Not only am I trying to train for my first Sprint Tri, but I'm also trying to lose weight (not very successfully, although I am dropping clothing sizes!) and give my knee some physical therapy to increase my range of motion. I really do feel like crap if I miss even a single day in the pool. Personally, I can't see me following the 13-week plan AND getting in shape for a Sprint Tri. If I had a higher physical baseline to begin with (e.g., not so fat), it might work for me.

This may or may not be correct but IMO the plans are designed to get you to a end of a race injury free - and not hobbling around for a week after a race.

The training is what I'm in this for - a race is for the sticker on my car, a cold beer at the finish line, and a excuse to take a day off the paper route.
    I love the training - it helps me eat right - well at least better...keeps me motivated - keeps me logging my miles, life has more focus when I'm training/excercising...
    So if you need more - go for it...more swimming will not hurt, more riding is just more fun to be had! need a extra run - well don't let the plan stop you....
    YOU THE MAN - make your own plan.

Not sure this helped - but needed to post one more today to get my fill...lol

Have a super night everyone
    pb
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
    Views: 21165 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
    Views: 37391 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
    Views: 19831 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
    Views: 24386 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16125 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : October 29, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : June 11, 2008
    author : Team BT
    comments : 2
    Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
    date : October 5, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : June 6, 2006
    author : marmadaddy
    The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.