BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by cwpeters

Thanks for taking me in. The peer pressure is already working, ran 2.5 miles last night and 3 tonight. No land speed records but I did feel better tonight and was slightly faster. As for that weather thing, I can't make any promises. Today was a record high, low temp and tied the record high. Ran at almost midnight and it was still hot and humid, I could use some of that "winter" you guys are always speaking of.

Chris

I would rather bundle up and run in the cold, than never have a break from the humidity of FL.

2015-01-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by MOlsen

While that may be a slow pace for the real racers out there, it's a solid "middle of the pack" pace for the rest of us regular folks.

Or my goal pace! Thanks for the tips on restarting.
2015-01-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Why 5th?
Long story short, I used to wear Hawaiian shirts all the time. My father-in-law gives everyone a nickname. Mine started as "Five-O", and changed a bit over the years. He calls me "Fifther" most of the time. The coincidental connection is that my grandparents cattle brand was "circle F", and that's what I call my (garage) brewery. 5's keep showing up... our anniversary is June 5th and the kids B-days are Feb 5th and May 5th. I have 4 siblings, making a total of 5 of us.

I sound like a superstitious kook, and I'm not. Just funny coincidences.

You want to know how much I don't like warm Coors Light? I did my scheduled run yesterday in 5F and 20mph North wind!!

-5th

Gotta say that is kind of cool. When we had sheep our farm was Five O Farms because there are five of us.
2015-01-04 3:21 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by b2b14

Originally posted by Smiley9188

I'd love to join this group! My name is Colleen and I'm signed up to do an indoor triathlon in 2.5 weeks (gulp!!). I'm sort of winging it. I have loads of non- technical questions and am not really a great athlete. I'm a mother to two young kids (4 and 1) and have never challenged my body to this sort of discipline. I hope to complete 5 sprints this summer, all in CT. I definitely would love a mentor group! I drink beer. I've been favoring vodka these days though... Will you still let me in? Oh! And I don't yet own a bike... Yes, a real beginner!

Welcome Colleen. No worries I signed up for my first races before I owned a bike, you'll be fine. There are a lot of people here with a lot of experience so someone should be able to help you with almost any questions.

Welcome! Same here i don't think I owned my bike until about four weeks before my first triathlon...you are a triathlete..its a mind set.
2015-01-04 3:31 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Playoffs people. I'm proud to report that I managed to get out for a short run today. I got home from errands late and was tempted to skip it - but the beers I bought at the store got me out the door. Global Warming by Sixpoint (New York) and Mainer Weisse by Night Shift Brewing (MA). It's a fruit beer and I love fruit beers. So, I got in some quick PT and then headed out the door.

Does anyone else love running in the slow? I LOVE IT! I'm so glad I went. What a great run!

Yeah for getting it done and running! I don't know if I would say I love running in the slow...but it is the only way I can run..slow. But yes, when we get snow I love to run in it; makes me feel tough!
2015-01-04 3:37 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well my vaca did not go as planned. Spent most of the time with the flu or recovering from the flu. Then I remodeled our bedroom. It took me two and half days to prep for painting and then painting since my husband got my flu and was too sick to paint. He did manage to recover before going back to work and laid the laminate flooring for me. There is still a lot to be done in the room but that will be done on payday weekends!

Speaking of Mr. Wonderful, he gave me a Forerunner 220 and an Edge 510 for Christmas...so cool but I haven't used ether yet. My goal today is to get out for a short brick to try both. Tips hints and advice on training with a heart rate monitor?

Happy New Year everyone!
Cheers,

2015-01-04 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Got my 9.5 miler done today in the snow. I got it in with an abysmal time, but the power of the coors light penalty got me out the door, and now the cool thing is that I can now enjoy a good beer for my efforts. A real win/win.
2015-01-04 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Well my vaca did not go as planned. Spent most of the time with the flu or recovering from the flu. Then I remodeled our bedroom. It took me two and half days to prep for painting and then painting since my husband got my flu and was too sick to paint. He did manage to recover before going back to work and laid the laminate flooring for me. There is still a lot to be done in the room but that will be done on payday weekends!

Speaking of Mr. Wonderful, he gave me a Forerunner 220 and an Edge 510 for Christmas...so cool but I haven't used ether yet. My goal today is to get out for a short brick to try both. Tips hints and advice on training with a heart rate monitor?

Hi Cynthia - I'm sorry to hear that you were ailing over your vacation. Nothing is more frustrating than being tied to the couch when you could be out using all the electronic Mr. Wonderful gave you. I am glad to hear that you remodling is going well. I've been watching via facebook and it looks good.

As for training with a heart rate monitor - I'm kind of a newbie myself. What I will say is I was amazed to find how hard I was working when I finally got plugged in. The nice part of wearing a HRM was being able to see numbers that let me know I was working hard enough. Enjoy!
2015-01-04 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Hi Cynthia - I'm sorry to hear that you were ailing over your vacation. Nothing is more frustrating than being tied to the couch when you could be out using all the electronic Mr. Wonderful gave you. I am glad to hear that you remodling is going well. I've been watching via facebook and it looks good.

As for training with a heart rate monitor - I'm kind of a newbie myself. What I will say is I was amazed to find how hard I was working when I finally got plugged in. The nice part of wearing a HRM was being able to see numbers that let me know I was working hard enough. Enjoy!
2015-01-04 5:13 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Just back from holidays, southern Spain is always nice to escape with the kids for a few days, lonely beaches and 20ºC, great for long, slow runs on the beach. Focussing on HM early Feb and my first 70.3 in May. So mainly running now, at least 4 times/week. Always veeery lazy to go out the door, but peer pressure and warm beer makes me jump out the door! It is a great group its being created here!!

Dave, I am in for the bike shirts - hope we can do them this year.
2015-01-04 5:41 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Got my 9.5 miler done today in the snow. I got it in with an abysmal time, but the power of the coors light penalty got me out the door, and now the cool thing is that I can now enjoy a good beer for my efforts. A real win/win.

Attaboy! If only the 'skins were in the playoffs - then you would be in fat city. I live there - so I know....

2015-01-04 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
So - a little business before we begin the first full week of the new year.

1) Make it your mission to support each other every time you sign onto BT. For every post you write about your training, you should try to reply to one or two posts of your fellow BDASers. Answer a question, give a piece of advice, cheer on an accomplishment or just support someone through a rough patch. You guys are doing a good job - we just need to keep it up!

2) In the past, we have sometimes posted weekly goals to keep us on track. Are you guys interested? Do you think it will help you? Majority rules.

Have a great week everyone!
2015-01-04 7:07 PM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Originally posted by fifthcircle

IM races/fees.
This (as with most of us) is my ultimate goal. To hear my name followed my "you are an IRONMAN!" while crossing the finish line get's me all riled up.
The cost is steep, but worth it for the once in a lifetime thing. If I was amazing, and doing several full length events a year, the cost would probably have me doing non WTC races.

Shipping beer.
It's pretty easy. I had a beer of the month club last year, and would get a box with 4 bombers (22oz bottles) every month. They had special inserts in the boxes. I will look around and see if I can find those shipping items online....

BDAS shirts?
Are you talking cycling jerseys, or just regular shirts? For the design, I have a talented brother-in-law that could help with a cool design, if wanted.

I just looked at my training calendar for Jan. Yesterday and Today are my only "off" days. GULP! Beginner cycling program with the continued C25k stuff. Not sure I should be jumping in that fast. I'll be really watching for any possible injury type pains, and will back off instantly if I feel something. I've been down that road too many times!

-5th

I'd be in for a bike jersey, i have always wanted one and a BDAS one would be awesome. It would also keep people from asking why i was so slow…they would just know it was because I drink a lot of beer.
2015-01-04 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Happy Playoffs people. I'm proud to report that I managed to get out for a short run today. I got home from errands late and was tempted to skip it - but the beers I bought at the store got me out the door. Global Warming by Sixpoint (New York) and Mainer Weisse by Night Shift Brewing (MA). It's a fruit beer and I love fruit beers. So, I got in some quick PT and then headed out the door.

Does anyone else love running in the slow? I LOVE IT! I'm so glad I went. What a great run!

Playoffs? what are you talking about we are only halfway through the season….. Go Leafs!!!
2015-01-04 7:09 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So I have been avoiding the warm coors light penalty on a technicality and I should probably have chugged a couple by now…

I don't have any training plan, planned run/swim/bikes…..etc

That is my goal this week. A Plan!

and to lose at least two pounds.
2015-01-04 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by justinfss

Originally posted by fifthcircle

IM races/fees.
This (as with most of us) is my ultimate goal. To hear my name followed my "you are an IRONMAN!" while crossing the finish line get's me all riled up.
The cost is steep, but worth it for the once in a lifetime thing. If I was amazing, and doing several full length events a year, the cost would probably have me doing non WTC races.

Shipping beer.
It's pretty easy. I had a beer of the month club last year, and would get a box with 4 bombers (22oz bottles) every month. They had special inserts in the boxes. I will look around and see if I can find those shipping items online....

BDAS shirts?
Are you talking cycling jerseys, or just regular shirts? For the design, I have a talented brother-in-law that could help with a cool design, if wanted.

I just looked at my training calendar for Jan. Yesterday and Today are my only "off" days. GULP! Beginner cycling program with the continued C25k stuff. Not sure I should be jumping in that fast. I'll be really watching for any possible injury type pains, and will back off instantly if I feel something. I've been down that road too many times!

-5th

I'd be in for a bike jersey, i have always wanted one and a BDAS one would be awesome. It would also keep people from asking why i was so slow…they would just know it was because I drink a lot of beer.

This is why I have a Powered by Popeye's jersey. People see a 290 pound guy on a bike and they assume fast food junkie, I just don't want them thinking I eat McDonald's.

As for a BDAS jersey, I'd be game for one barring some sort of illegal initiation.

2015-01-05 2:01 AM

User image

Playoffs? what are you talking about we are only halfway through the season….. Go Leafs!!!

hahaha go canes and my division winning (with a losing record) panthers.

Cynthia- I started using a HRM after reading iron fit. I set it up to alert me if I go higher than z2. I don't really check it much until it alerts.

2015-01-05 2:16 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Attaboy! If only the 'skins were in the playoffs - then you would be in fat city. I live there - so I know....

I'm also a Blackhawks fan. No worries there.

We need a Skins/Browns game. That will be an epic rivalry of no consequence. I'm proud of you Dave!
2015-01-05 2:28 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

So I have been avoiding the warm coors light penalty on a technicality and I should probably have chugged a couple by now…

Justin, you owe me two warm shotgunned coors lights, just on general principle alone. Proud of you. I know you'll make this happen.
2015-01-05 6:37 AM

User image

Expert

Morning Justin - let's work on avoiding those CLP's (Coors Lite Penalties) together. I'm using this as my plan to get back into it. Want to join me?

Good luck on the weight loss!
2015-01-05 6:47 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert

I'm also a Blackhawks fan. No worries there.

We need a Skins/Browns game. That will be an epic rivalry of no consequence. I'm proud of you Dave!

Proud of me for me? Sticking with the Browns through the craziness of Johnny Football? I'd love a skins browns game. The browns might actually win

2015-01-05 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning Everyone!

Today as part of my weightloss plan I cooked up a recipe that was given to me by Dr. Bobby - a former BDASers. It was so good and filling, I thought I would share it with you:

1 green pepper
1 onion
1 tsp oil
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 black beans
3 eggs
garlic salt and pepper

1. Cut up the pepper and the onion (I did it the night before)
2. Saute veggies in oil until soft
3. Add spinach, tomatoes, and beans and cover for 5 minutes
4. beat eggs and add to veggies
5. cook until eggs are done

Sometimes - I add cheese as well but I'm trying to be a good boy. I weighed in this morning and was down five pounds...Amazing what happens when you stop stuffing your face with Christmas cookies

I've got PT tonight. Want some! Give me some!

Have a great week everyone!
2015-01-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by b2b14
Originally posted by Qua17 Happy Playoffs people. I'm proud to report that I managed to get out for a short run today. I got home from errands late and was tempted to skip it - but the beers I bought at the store got me out the door. Global Warming by Sixpoint (New York) and Mainer Weisse by Night Shift Brewing (MA). It's a fruit beer and I love fruit beers. So, I got in some quick PT and then headed out the door. Does anyone else love running in the slow? I LOVE IT! I'm so glad I went. What a great run!
hahaha go canes and my division winning (with a losing record) panthers. Cynthia- I started using a HRM after reading iron fit. I set it up to alert me if I go higher than z2. I don't really check it much until it alerts.

Leafs? Canes? Panthers? Kevin it looks like only you and me cheer for an actual hockey team(go Hawks!)

2015-01-05 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Good Morning Everyone! Today as part of my weightloss plan I cooked up a recipe that was given to me by Dr. Bobby - a former BDASers. It was so good and filling, I thought I would share it with you: 1 green pepper 1 onion 1 tsp oil 2 cups spinach 1/2 cup diced tomatoes 1/2 black beans 3 eggs garlic salt and pepper 1. Cut up the pepper and the onion (I did it the night before) 2. Saute veggies in oil until soft 3. Add spinach, tomatoes, and beans and cover for 5 minutes 4. beat eggs and add to veggies 5. cook until eggs are done Sometimes - I add cheese as well but I'm trying to be a good boy. I weighed in this morning and was down five pounds...Amazing what happens when you stop stuffing your face with Christmas cookies I've got PT tonight. Want some! Give me some! Have a great week everyone!

that looks good...did you forget to add bacon?? :-)

I have had good luck with recipes from http://www.skinnytaste.com/.

2015-01-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by cwpeters If it's not too late I would love to join this group. NAME: Chris (cwpeters) STORY: Completed my 1st tri in fall of 2009. Finished 2nd to last in the U40 Clydes but fell in love with the competition. Over the next 8 months I ate right, followed a training plan, changed a lot of bad habits, lost about 50 pounds and in May finished my 2nd tri just 16 seconds behind the first place in the U40 Clydes. Went on to have a very successful season and eventually got down to 225 lbs. from almost 300. Over the next 2 years I completed sprints, OLYs and a HIM along with several HMs and a Century. Unfortunately I then had a job change and fell back into the old and bad habits. While still competing on a regular basis, I have lost my training motivation and put back on almost all of the weight I once lost. FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful woman for 16 years and father to two boys for 12 (almost 13) and 10 years. CURRENT TRAINING: I signed up for a HIM yesterday that takes place Feb. 8, so I need to get some run training in. 2014 RACES: 2 duathlons, 4 sprints, and 1 almost OLY. RACES PLANNED FOR 15: HM and then whatever jumps. There are several local races and 1 "destination" race I will continue to do plus hopefully a late season HIM. BEER PREFERENCE: Abita Beer - Turbo Dog, Purple Haze, and Andygator. Leinenkugel - Sunset Wheat, Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, and all of the Winter Sampler. WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop a good 50+ pounds again. I used the Abs Diet back in 2010 and will be going back to that plan again.

Ahh purple haze, one of the very few fruit beers I enjoyed. Of course it could have been because I was sitting outside on a deck in Tampa drinking it on holidays...

I am with you on the weight loss!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55368 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.