BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Okay, I just used the website to check my bodyfat...25.9%  OUCH!!   I'm in the normal range, but who wants to be normal!!!  Can I blame the belly bulge on the 3 kids that I had?  They're the ones who shaped my body that I have today!  LOL  Just kidding.  I need to pay attention to my food intake and exercise.  Off to the gym I go...

2007-05-22 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
At least you have an excuse and result=your children!!! I have 0 EXCUSES he he!!!
I calculated mine on this and it said- 20.7%. Hopefully By the end of the summer we will all be super fit and ready for any and ALL triathlon challenges!!
2007-05-22 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I had what I believe was a very accurate measue of body fat done at my gym 8 weeks ago. I don't want to say what it was; it's too terrible (28%). I am going back to get it measured again after my first race. If it's not lower, I may have to take drastic measures... I don't know what those drastic measures might be...but I'll think of some.

Rich, I don't know how it is for people with diabetes, but I know for me I feel like I am constantly having to eat. How do you loose weight / body fat when you have to put in so much fuel to keep from crashing?
2007-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
honestly, body fat % sounds really important for athletes. But for me personally, I just want to not feel like a piggy bank when I run he he he at least not when I run my first tri( i have 4 weeks to work on that .
2007-05-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: #812212

User image

Expert
Chicago

carustol - 2007-05-22 2:20 PM But for me personally, I just want to not feel like a piggy bank when I run he he he at least not when I run my first tri( i have 4 weeks to work on that .

I couldn't have said it better myself. Let me tell you...my lil' tri outfit I've picked out...I'd like for it to be a bit loose on me on race day. The last thing I want is my belly jiggling about. I'm really going to try and focus on my core to help with that. My abs are definitely feeling it after last night's pilates workout.

So I've decided that I'm only going to weigh myself once a week...it's "Weigh-in Wednesday." And today's results...quite scary for me. 160.5. I'm not amused and this is the heaviest I've ever been. *sigh* But ya know....that's all about to change. And the pound numbers don't necessarily have to drop...but I will be tickled pink when I get to say those 9 fabulous little words..."May I please see this in a smaller size?"

2007-05-22 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Body Fat %, nutrition, calories .....ooooh my!!!
Howdy!

So now we have come full circle. In order to loose weight and/or tone up when doing a sport like triathlons, loosing weight is not sufficient. What happens if you loose just weight is that you loose body fat AND muscle. Muscle that you need to move your body successfully through the event and muscle to protent your bones and joints from injury.

What I have been pushing is an awareness of your:

a) body fat %
b) nutrition (that supports reduction of body fat %)
c) creating daily calorie deficits to support weight loss

What I didn't tell you was that it would be easy. It isn't.....it requires an athletes' disciplined mind set. Some of you want to complete your first triathlon.....I have no fear that you can do it. If I can get out their at my advanced age ( but, I feel like 30), you can get out there and complete an event. For those that want to break personal best times or be competitive, you need to make a commitment to yourself to be serious about it. It is a "hold-no-prisoner" approach. Those that compete and stand on podiums are "lean mean triathlon machines". They started with lowering their body fat% which led to an increase of lean muscles that they could call upon during competition with an outcome of a decrease in their overall body weight.

Soooooo if you will, you have to kind of set up your body and mind in a "boot camp" mentality for the next several weeks to kick your body in gear (i.e. your metabolism into gear). The boot camp involves both eating right and learning the techniques of the three disciplines.

In preparing for HIM and IMs, I am rigid in my training and very careful in what I eat. After the first 4 weeks of training, I loosen up for two reasons..... if I don't I will fall of the nutrition wagon and eat everything in sight and if I don't, my wife and son will throw me out of the house because I'm making them eat healthy, too! (No snacks, potato chips, popcorn, soda, no junk food.)

So, I think we have covered nutrition, body fat%, etc....... we need to get to the fun side of triathlons....... I led us down this path purposely so that we could get the serious piece out of the way. Of course, PLEASE ask any questions or ask for help. I'm here for you.

2007-05-22 3:56 PM
in reply to: #812181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi, Christine:

You asked: "Rich, I don't know how it is for people with diabetes, but I know for me I feel like I am constantly having to eat. How do you loose weight / body fat when you have to put in so much fuel to keep from crashing?"

The five "small" meals per day help me maintain a good even blood sugar level. The nutrition that I take in is calculated...... protein and carbos (natural/simple carbs in the morning to complex carbs, i.e. veggies in the evenings) Every three to four hours I eat: 6:30 AM; 9:30 AM; 12:30 PM; 4:00 PM; and 7:30 PM.

Try exercising in the morning..... that will get the metabolism going all day.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Rich
2007-05-22 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: For Fun!
So how many of you have done a triathlon or been a spectator at a triathlon event? I think that covers all of us....... so what made you laugh or what inspired you?

I will start with one: It wasn't a triathlon, but a marathon. I came up behind this elderly gentlemen that had 3 x 51 on his T-shirt with flags all over it. I had to ask him about the T-Shirt. He replied that it represented that he had done 3 marathons in ever single state plus Puerto Rico and he was on his 4th rotation. The gentleman was 86 years old! Talk about inspiring!!!!!!!!

The funny thing that personally happened to me during my first triathlon was trying to get out of the wetsuit. I fell completely over while laughing because I couldn't get out of the wetsuit.

Tip - If you own a wetsuit, cut an inch or two of the legs so that you have a larger opening to get your feet out of the wetsuit.

ENJOY!

Rich
2007-05-22 9:02 PM

User image

Houston
I guess I am the odd man out!!
no Tri's sorry.
I will just enjoy your stories!!
2007-05-22 9:41 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
My training partner's dad decided last year to run his first marathon.  He didn't tell anyone and trained all year for it.  The morning of the race, he called my training partner, to let her know that he wasn't running the typical 10k, but the marathon!  Oh, by the way, he was 75 years old!  He ran it again this year again and did great.  (We only ran the 1/2mary)  He also completed his first triathlon, at 76,  the same day I did and started several waves ahead of me.  He's a true inspiration...So if a 76 year old can do this swim, bike, run thing...I CAN TOO! 
2007-05-22 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Uhm...not sure how the heck this posted three times. But I can't delete it.

Sorry guys.

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2007-05-22 10:06 PM

2007-05-22 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Seriously. My computer is going haywire.

My apologies!

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2007-05-22 10:06 PM
2007-05-22 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Note to self: When sunburnt, even if you're feeling good...do not go running. You will experience a good amount of chaffing around your sports bra, your running shirt will rub your neck...and you'll come home to be all covered in blisters. Not even two hours later, I'm already peeling.

Lesson Learned.

Let's just hope the pain subsides soon. I'm racing in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge on Thursday night. Should be interesting.

Edited by RunningJayhawk 2007-05-22 10:05 PM
2007-05-22 11:38 PM
in reply to: #812836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Derek! That's quite OK! Just chuckle along with us!

Angela: Your training partner's dad proves that life ain't over at 65! Woooo Hoooo! Awesome!

Barb: From the photo, you look like you have fair skin like mine.........I just finished peeling from 3 weeks ago......got burned while wearing sunblock 40+! Well, I guess the only thing I can say is ..... have a good peel! Dooohhhhh!

Rich
2007-05-23 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Derek is not alone -- I am 4 1/2 weeks away from my FIRST triathlon.

Rich, I will try swimming more often in the morning...And being more disciplined with my food intake. No Tastykake binges after rides.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-23 7:04 AM
2007-05-23 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Although I haven't done a tri yet, I did about 7 charity events last year in my first year of cycling.

Obviously you see a lot of people fall over at stop lights because they can't clip out -- it's funny if no one gets hurt and I have never seen anyone seriously hurt by falling over at 0 mph.

I saw this one veteran cyclist with a huge gut wearing a cycling jersey with Cartman on the front. His belly took up all of the cartoon Cartman's belly and then some. V V funny!

Over the season last year, each month I signed up for a further distance. My first "40" was the French Creek Iron Tour. Flooding all that week. Debris everywhere. Got up at 4:30 to drive over an hour to get there (by myself - no one else I knew wanted to do it). The Weather Channel was calling for rain followed by pouring rain and highs in the 50's. I still just had my mountain bike with road tires at that point.

It was a bunch of hard-core cyclist and me that day. They started calling me "Mountain Bike". I would pass them on a hill changing a tire, "Hey, there's Mountain Bike! How's it going Mountain Bike?" I was grateful I didn't have those fragile little road bike tires that day.

Lots of hills. Several bridges. Lots of banging bumps and holes. About 3 miles out from the rest stop, I noticed (as I was flying down this hill doing over 30) that my tire was pointed straight forward, but my handle bars were pointed about 25 degrees to the right. Not good. I made it to the rest stop and showed the guys. "Woah. You don't want to ride around like that!" They fixed it for me.

Some woman said, "Well, at least it's not raining that hard." We all groaned. Seven miles from the finish the skies opened up. It rained so hard I could barely see. My shoes filled with water. My gloves were bleeding black. I came so close to crying. SO many hills....please make this be the last hill...

But you know what? That ride was one of the funniest and most memorable to date. I'm SO glad I did it.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-23 7:25 AM

2007-05-23 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Good morning, all!  Yesterday was my anniversary, so I'm returning from the land of filet mignon and pecan bread pudding (I can hear you all drooling now) to the real world of Gu packets and Kashi Go Lean crunch today. Sigh....

I was first inspired to "tri" when I went and watched a friend do her first race.  She was doing the Danskin here in Austin.  As I was waiting for her to come up out of the water, I saw a lady who had just finished the swim being helped out by three other women.  She was very overweight, and struggling to get into a wheelchair - obviously part of a relay.  Her support team got her into her chair and then began pushing her up the hill towards the transition area, but one of her wheels got stuck and she was dumped out of her chair forwards. There she was face down in a giant wet heap with her bright blue swim cap on - and just laughing with the biggest laugh and the most amazing look of joy on her face!  And I thought to myself, "If SHE can do this......"

2007-05-23 8:16 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
I love these stories!  My first tri was last month.  My husband found me a "'new" used bike that was from a friend of ours.  I had only ridden it once before the race to learn how to use the gears.  Well, the entire race, for me, was about having fun and just finishing with a smile.  I was chatting it up with anyone who would talk with me.  Transitions were very slow because of this.  Anyways, on the bike ride, I got to talking/teasing with the volunteer at the turn around point, and as I was turning around (very very slowly) I feel over on my bike.  I wasn't even moving!  It was so funny.  I knew I loved this sport when I could laugh at myself for something so silly.  I did scrap my knee and shin pretty good, but jumped back on and kept moving.  It was a great day!
2007-05-23 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
AWESOME stories! I join Derek and Cris, I have 0 tri experience, but am getting ready for my first, probably the same day as cris( June 24th?)

I can tell you though that my first half marathon was quite scary. I was in law school miserable since I had to quit the crew team due to lack of time. So I decided I should do a half marathon for fun. I signed up 3 weeks prior to the event. I had convinced 6 friends (3 couples) of doing the cycling race( concurrent to the half mary), so we had 0 sleep, had bought the bikes the night before, and had a semi slumber party, but we were ready for the race.

It was 50 degrees the night before the race. Race day it was 30 degrees!!! I didn't look at the weather so i wore shorts and a little t shirt, I figured it's going to get warmer once the sun comes out. As soon as we got to the race, we were all ready and excited. My friends went their way, and I stayed with the half marys. Amongst the sea of Runners I was the only one with 0 gloves, and 0 sweatpants or tights, it was freezing!!!
As Im waiting there, this nice lady asks me :" so is this your first half" , I go" yeah". THen she says :" you must have trained a lot. How many miles at a time have you done before." I go" like 4". she makes this face, like her eyes are going to pop out and her mouth slightly opened, then I corrected myself going: " naaa, just kidding, I ran like 10 miles before". At that point i made this slight smiled and said to myself "holy c*ap!!!" I think I peeed my pants!!! I was so scared I had never ran more than maybe 5 miles!!! But, I figuired, hey I'll just pace myself!!! no pressure!
I finished in 2:03:51 minutes( thankfully there was no pain and no injuries). Even though I didn't sweat at all, I was cold all the time and had milky way to boost me along the way.
One of my favorite memories w/ my friends!!!
Now I do halfs and full mary's my entire family- mom, dad, and 2 brothers. We are all very competitive, so tri's seem like the next step!!!!

p.s. my older brother is now joining my lil bro and I in the olympic distance tri!!!!!1 wooo hooo
2007-05-23 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
My first race is June 23. I promise to post here that night to let you all know how it goes.

And Caru, you have to post the next day to let us know how your race goes!
2007-05-23 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
These stories are fantastic you guys!! While I have absolutely ZERO tri experience, reading about your "mis"adventures is getting me all excited for July!

2007-05-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: #812982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Ooookay! You are going to have to explain Tastykakes. Never heard of those. They sound sinfully delicious.

Good Job Derek! With 4 1/2 weeks to go, ya need to get wet!

Rich

What is everyone else's favorite beinge food! (White Castle Hamburgers ..... not the frozen ones......I've been known to go across four highway lanes of a freeway to get to an exit to get to a White Castle.) I'm deprived. We don't have them here in California. (It is a childhood thing or a childhood memory, I guess.)

2007-05-23 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
That's easy....Lucky Charms!
2007-05-23 12:06 PM
in reply to: #813132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
I think that is a requirement to post your race experience just after your race...kidding.... but would be fun and a learning tool, too!
2007-05-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #813615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Kat!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46