BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2007-12-19 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1108768

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed and Big Pimpin thru the Holidays
atlrunnergirl - 2007-12-18 9:07 PM

Man, talk about a crazy week!!  I've been trying to cram 5 days of work into 3, with meetings out the wazoo.  Thankfully, I'm off starting Thursday through New Year's Day, so it's time to get my workouts in!!

I had a stroke clinic at swim last night, we did some TI drills and I felt really comfortable in the water.  I'm still working on my breathing since that seems to be the current issue.  My goal right now is to be able to swim 50 straight.  So over the next few weeks, that's the goal. 

Time off is wonderful....except that I find that I workout even more.     Hopefully you will strike the balance.

Would you care to expand upon your stroke clinic experience?  How did you find the clinic?  What type of instruction was it?  How many people were included?  What kind of drills did you do?

I am the first to admit that I HATE drills...and typically don't do them.  But honestly, that is the ONLY way to improve your swim stroke and efficiency. 

2007-12-19 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1108773

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2007-12-18 9:13 PM

One question - I just upgraded to Silver. Now I can see more of the training plans. I'm stuck trying to figure out which plan to pick. The Gold Sprint to Olympic Bridge seems very reasonable, and is based solely on minutes. The Silver has a few beginner Oly plans, but they definitely get much more detailed and for some of the bike and running workouts -they are way more complicated than I'm used to. What should I do? I'm just looking to finish St. Anthony's feeling good. I've got to work on my swim endurance in general, so that is going to be a huge focus. I feel like for the most part, I just need lots of time and some bricks (and to drop some weight).

Well the biggest issue that you will have for St. Anthony's is training and recovering from the ING mary.  Clearly, you don't need to worry about your run volume for St. A's.  And the good thing is that since swimming is your weakest link right now, you can build your volume without it being a detriment to your running.  However, syncing your bike will take some time.  Fortunately, I find that my running cardio and biking cardio tend to get aligned very easy.  Most reasonable people cycle at a heartrate about 10 beats below their run (in general terms) so you body is ready to take on the challenge.  The key is aligning the mind and legs. 

When you say they are way more complicated, what do you mean?  Is it the 3' at RPE 7, 5' at RPE 5 jargon that is throwing you?   (We are about to discuss RPE & HR)

I would recommend picking the plan that you are most comfortable with.  I like to print off the calendar views and see how much training each involves.  I might recommend the 12 week RPE based one.  Following the plans, should get you to the starting and finish line feeling good.  But like I said, the key for you is to find a plan that won't infere much with marathon training. 

Edited by ADollar79 2007-12-19 8:16 AM
2007-12-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1108829

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
ScotinSeattle - 2007-12-18 10:06 PM

I don't have any fangled stuff. This is my 1st season and I wanted to see how it went before purchasing anything new. I would really like to replace my $99 Walmart bike with a new specialized. I would also like a HRM, santa knows I want one. I need new running shoes, the Nike running program for IPOD would help me immensely with my running technique. 

A chef to prepare all my meals would be great also seeing as I am such a HORRIBLE eater. Urgh. I really just need a hand to guide me slowly and surely.

I am no doubt injured now and I have no idea what caused it. My hip feels like it's been punched over and over again. I am wondering if it's my bed. Siiiiiiigh. 

Slow down!!!!

First, this sport is VERY expensive.  Have all the coolest gadgets doesn't make you faster.  It *might* make you smarter and more efficient...but that is still a stretch.  What good is the latest technology if you don't train or know how to use it?  A lot of people fall into this trap.  You have to prioritize in this sport both with time and money (unless both are limitless for you in which case I don't like you anymore, lol). 

That being said....all you really need is a pair of goggles, bike and running shoes to compete.  The common mantra on BT is that most people would get better by training more.  Simple as that.  I believe in the concept of K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!!!

A chef?  Let me know where you find one of those!   I would encourage you to track EVERYTHING you put in your body.  BT has a great nutrition tracker and you can set it to private.  This is the first step in cleaning up your diet.  Again, I am no diet expert, but I do believe that accountability is the first step.  Quanitfying it is the second.  Would it motivate you more if you saw on paper everything you eat (I find that people can mentally lie to themselves and make excuses).  Spend some time playing with the nutrition part of your log and see what you think. 

As far as your injury...get to the doctor and find some good physical therapy.  This is the time of the year that you do NOT want a nagging injury.  This is the time you should be repairing your body and getting it tuned for the upcoming season.  Feel free to look back at my logs from this time last year.  I was stubborn about an injury....remained stubborn until I started Ironman training...and then questioned if I would even be able to run. 

2007-12-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1089582

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

The reason I asked about the HRM is that I wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking the area.  I didn't think any of you were training with one. 

My thoughts on HR training--

It is undeniably the way to go, unless you are completely in tune with your body.  In general terms, there are three ways to tell how hard you are working when you swim, bike or run. 

First, is pace.  17 mph, 9:45 per mile; 2:15 per 100.  This is a finite number.  However, it doesn't give much indication to HOW you got there.  For instance, I ran 9:20 miles last night.  That doesn't tell you that I was doing 90 second sprints up a hill and sandbagging the time on the recovery. 

Second is RPE.  Rate of Perceived Exertion.  Most of the BT plans are designed around RPE because it is free and anyone can learn to train by this method.  Essentially you have a scale 1-10 with 1 being walking and 10 being a all out 10k.  You train based on how you feel.  For some this is simple...others it is tough to grab the concept.

Third is heart rate.  This includes gadgetry, namely a Heart rate monitor (HRM).  This is really the only method that gives a peek inside the body to see what is going on.  And an HRM supplies nearly real time data. 

--------------

Is an HRM for everyone?  That is debatable.  I think it is yes and no.  An HRM will give you all kinds of data none of which means anything if you don't know how to use it.  For instance, Sarah might run three miles at 160 bpm (beats per minute), Drew might run it at 175 bpm, and I might run it at 140 bpm.  Does this mean anything?  What if I told you that we all ran the distance in the same time.  Does it mean anything now?  I still believe that for most beginners you will see huge gains if you just train more.

There are some conclusions one *might* be able to draw from that data but what is more important is that each of our bodies are different.  My HR has NOTHING to do with Lynne's or Kendra's or anyones.   There is NO correlation.  So you can't compare and contrast one another.  I typically race in the 150's.  I have several friends who I think are in better shape who race in the 170's but are slower. 

Where I think a HRM is absolutely critical is in the longer distance races and training.  For sprints, the key is to go 100% for 60-90 minutes.  So there is little need for one.  An Olympic, IMO, begins to bump up against the idea of using one.  And definitely for an HIM or IM distance race.  Again, it all really depends on your level of fitness. 

I do like them from a training perspective.  It gives you a great indication of what is going on in your training.  Essentially, your training plan should have hard days and some easy.  For instance, my training yesterday was almost ALL HR based.  I wanted to get my HR UP UP UP when I was attacking the hills.  But I wanted it to chill and recover when I came back down.  Today I have a recovery run.  That means I am going to SLOW down and keep my HR way down for 30-40 minutes.  But tomorrow I am back to tempo training and will work to train at my peak race pace.  The difference is, I have taken the time to understand the concept of HR training, been tested, regularly conduct tests and have met with a coach to discuss results. 

Ok...I just threw out TONS of information that may have some of your heads spinning.  HR training is a difficult concept to grasp (I still struggle with it).  But it is a fascinating topic.  I will stop short of talking about zones and which models to purchase just yet in case their are questions.

So ask away and lets make sure we are all on the same page on this concept. 

2007-12-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1107935

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed
This is off current topic - but timely for me as I am going to the swim store this afternoon. Currently I do all of my swimming indoors - because it's Iowa and it is damn cold right now - so I use goggles that are clear. I assume, however, that I will not want to use those in OWS where the sun comes into play and non-clear water is present. Is there a particular shade of tint that works better in OWS situations? I currently have Native Hardtop sunglasses that have changeable lenses and I know what I like for cloudy, sunny, dark, etc. Is it the same situation for goggles? Do they make goggles with interchangeable lenses? Are they worth the expense that I assume would come with a product like that? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
2007-12-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1111427

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed

jdwright56 - 2007-12-20 10:38 AM This is off current topic - but timely for me as I am going to the swim store this afternoon. Currently I do all of my swimming indoors - because it's Iowa and it is damn cold right now - so I use goggles that are clear. I assume, however, that I will not want to use those in OWS where the sun comes into play and non-clear water is present. Is there a particular shade of tint that works better in OWS situations? I currently have Native Hardtop sunglasses that have changeable lenses and I know what I like for cloudy, sunny, dark, etc. Is it the same situation for goggles? Do they make goggles with interchangeable lenses? Are they worth the expense that I assume would come with a product like that? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Great question.  And remember...there are no topics dominating the discussion, so ask away.   

I am not familiar with any goggles that have interchangable lens like sunglasses.  Swim goggles are one of the only items that are cheap enough to have multiple pairs.  And personally I have never paid more than $12 for a pair.  (www.swimoutlet.com)

If you can afford it, maybe you can have clear, blue and smoke.  There are some visibility advantages to the tints....but your ability to swim is going to depend more on training and experience (learning to site properly).   

Personally, I wear blue or smoke goggles....not really any rationale behind it other than the brand I wear only come in those colors.  I have swam in murky water, clear water, overcast days, sunny days.  Honestly, for me, I couldn't tell you which lens I wore in what race.  The ONLY time I have given it serious thought was Ironman and I did swim practices in both blue and smoke to see if I found a difference.  I don't remember what I wore for the race, lol. 

--------------

On the topic of swim goggles....a common question is what is the best goggle or which goggle doesn't leak?

There is no 'best' goggle.  Everyone's face is a different shape so some goggles work better than others.  I went through 2-3 pair that were always leaking until I found a pair that fit me perfectly.  I haven't changed goggles in 2+ years.  And I also tend to buy them in bulk (3-4 at a time).  I take at least 2 pair with me to the pool each time.  I have learned the lesson of having goggles break during a workout. 

2007-12-20 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i have had the same pair for about 10 months or so (spedo with green linse) they work great for me... and i never thought about taking 2 pair with me to swim and to events.... i better go get anouther pair here soon. i would hate for them to break and then be stuck doing brest stroke for the whole work out.

I swam today on lunch break 130ish and swam for 18:30 at about 9min in i stoped and checked my heart rate 144... this is right at about 75% for me. (even though i think its more like 99% when im in the water).

what is a good rate to be at for extended lengths of time when swimming
2007-12-20 4:13 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I was so used to swimming with speedo goggles but after them always spitting at the strap or leaking I decided to try elsewhere. Someone told me about Barracuda goggles. I bought a pair just recently and I have to say they are the best pair of goggles I have ever swam in!

I have a small face frame and they work perfectly for me, no marks or anything and sometimes I even forget I have them on. I might treat myself to another pair...maybe PINK! 

Oh, and for Xmas I've asked for a HRM that comes with a shoe pod. It will be great in the fact that it tells me my heart rate (duh) distance and speed I'm going. I should be able to up my speed hopefully and distance before my 1st 1/2 marathon in March. YAY!.  I've really always wanted one for a while now.

My hip seems to be doing much better now. I ran just for 20 minutes last night before swimming for an hour. It really seemed to help with the warm up etc and I stretched a lot. Something I am lazy at doing. Eek. I know, it's stupid but I never really trained like I am now...geesh. You learn from your mistakes however.  But yeah anyway. On the mend. Phew.  

2007-12-21 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i went shoping for xmass presents lastnight and ended up getting a copy of Triathlete mag. how come the athlets have foam squairs in their tops?
2007-12-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1112280

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

tri-dg - 2007-12-20 4:22 PM  I swam today on lunch break 130ish and swam for 18:30 at about 9min in i stoped and checked my heart rate 144... this is right at about 75% for me. (even though i think its more like 99% when im in the water). what is a good rate to be at for extended lengths of time when swimming

Good job getting to the pool and logging a swim workout. 

Regarding your heartrate, look above where I was discussing heartrate.  As I said, numbers mean nothing without some framework or perspective.  Is 144 good for you?  I have no idea and no one else would either.  We are all different.  I might be 138 or 155 on the swim.  Neither give any indication to the level of fitness.   Is 144 really 75% of effort.  Again that is indeterminable because you aren't able to determine what 100% is (and all those charts at a gym are complete bs). 

If you are interested in knowing where your HR falls on a scale, you could to a time trial lacate threshold (LT) test in the pool to attempt to guage where 100% effort would be.  However, I would STRONGLY caution AGAINST this for two reasons.  First, you probably don't have the endurance yet needed to perform the test.  I believe it calls for 1000 meters at maximum effort nonstop.   Second, it is much more important for you to be in the water working on drills and shorter intervals than worrying about heartrate.  If you feel like you are over working, then simply slow down.  Swimming is ALL about form and technique.

If you would like me to discuss how to do field tests for swim, bike or run....I am more than happy to discuss the different methods. 

2007-12-21 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1112430

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
ScotinSeattle - 2007-12-20 5:13 PM

I was so used to swimming with speedo goggles but after them always spitting at the strap or leaking I decided to try elsewhere. Someone told me about Barracuda goggles. I bought a pair just recently and I have to say they are the best pair of goggles I have ever swam in!

I have a small face frame and they work perfectly for me, no marks or anything and sometimes I even forget I have them on. I might treat myself to another pair...maybe PINK! 

Oh, and for Xmas I've asked for a HRM that comes with a shoe pod. It will be great in the fact that it tells me my heart rate (duh) distance and speed I'm going. I should be able to up my speed hopefully and distance before my 1st 1/2 marathon in March. YAY!.  I've really always wanted one for a while now.

My hip seems to be doing much better now. I ran just for 20 minutes last night before swimming for an hour. It really seemed to help with the warm up etc and I stretched a lot. Something I am lazy at doing. Eek. I know, it's stupid but I never really trained like I am now...geesh. You learn from your mistakes however.  But yeah anyway. On the mend. Phew.  

Lynne- If you found goggles that work, then stick with them and you have one less thing to worry about!!!

What HRM did you ask for?  I am an owner of a Garmin 305 and also asked for a Polar s150 for Christmas (I am a data dork junkie).  Once you get it, we can discuss in further detail how to properly use it. 

Take care of that hip.  Please take it SLOW running again.  The season hasn't even began so getting that fixed needs to be a high priority.

2007-12-21 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
I did a field test for bike and I got something way lower than I thought I would. Maybe I did it wrong. Could you go over it, please?
2007-12-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1113276

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

tri-dg - 2007-12-21 10:45 AM i went shoping for xmass presents lastnight and ended up getting a copy of Triathlete mag. how come the athlets have foam squairs in their tops?

Great question....and I had to think about it for a moment. 

The square foams you see are sponges.  You probably saw a picture of Chris McCormick (2007 World Ironman Champion).  He is know for stuffing these in his tri top.  It is a cooling mechanism.  In hot races, especially Ironman distances volunteers will be at each aid station with sponges that are sitting in ice tubs. 

Most athletes will put these in one of three spots.  On top of the head (inside a hat), in the tri top, or down their pants.  These are three areas that produce tons of heat and regulate body temp. 

-------------

On a related note, there are two primary triathlon magazines...Triathlete and Inside Triathlon.  Both are pretty technical and deal with a higher level of training and distance.  However, I do recommend them because they do offer great advice.  Also, I think runner's world and bicycling are good reads too

(this from a guy who subscribes to WAY too many magazines)

2007-12-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1113341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

So, I'm tired of the treadmill....and it's only December!  But, I can't seem to find the right balance of clothes to wear to run outside.  I have half a mind to just wear my old ski gear at this point.

If I wear a hat, my head gets too hot.  If I just wear a headband to keep my ears warm, my head is too cold.  If I wear a sweatshirt, I get too hot.  I've tried just a long sleeve T and my windbreaker, but was too cold.  And I clearly don't have the right pants as my legs are always cold.

Any recommendations for winter outdoor running?

2007-12-21 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

ok....I am a bit apprehensive about posting this but it is a great read and an important part of the triathlon world. 

The following is an article written by Mike Ricci of D3 Mulitsports.  Mike is a BT contributor and an extremely well respected coach in the sport. 

https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

Please read this carefully.  I will re-iterate that it is my belief that beginners don't need to worry about zones all that much especially if you are only racing the sprint distance.  I personally think they are crucial for longer distances and great for training (for contrasting viewpoints this is always a hot topic in the tri / ironman forums). 

I will call you attention to one particular passage.   If you are new to exercise you WILL want to forgo the testing for a while (it is rigorous) to prevent any kind of injury but instead wear a heart rate monitor to 'observe' your HR at various points of exercise. 

I support that statement 100%.  I have ONLY done running LT tests.  I have done a few field tests, my training plan calls for LT runs (yesterday) and I have done it at a testing lab.  It SUCKS!  At the lab, the coach had me doubling over, dry heaving and in tears when I was done....and it was only about 10-12 minutes long.    

Take a read if you have time and we can discuss from there....

2007-12-21 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1113366

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
pipscweek - 2007-12-21 11:37 AM

So, I'm tired of the treadmill....and it's only December!  But, I can't seem to find the right balance of clothes to wear to run outside.  I have half a mind to just wear my old ski gear at this point.

If I wear a hat, my head gets too hot.  If I just wear a headband to keep my ears warm, my head is too cold.  If I wear a sweatshirt, I get too hot.  I've tried just a long sleeve T and my windbreaker, but was too cold.  And I clearly don't have the right pants as my legs are always cold.

how about a dose of HTFU!!!  Ok...kidding....sorta

I am a cold freak.  I love running when it is really cold.  I actually think I have my best runs when it is in the 40's.  I do NOT run on a treadmill and refuse to. 

For me, I love Nike and Under Amour long sleeve shirts.  It works for me.  I find that it keeps me warm enough to get through the run.  Plus, as you run, your body warms up a lot and these seem to trap that heat a bit.  I still run in shorts until is is below 40.  Then I switch to tights under running shorts. 

I personally never run with ear covers (though I am thinking about it).  I typically wear a hat.  If you can afford it, I suggest running gloves.  Mine are made by mizunos and are very light but warm enough. 

I also think running in the cold is a mental thing.  And it toughens you up!

What does everyone else wear to run in the cold???

2007-12-21 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1113366

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
pipscweek - 2007-12-21 10:37 AM

As for a top - UnderArmour makes three levels of what they call ColdGear that you should find suitable. There is one that is very thick and warm, one that is medium and one that is lighter. They are all long sleeve T-shirt wearing things and come in lots of different colors for the style conscious. My daughters wear the lightert model in the spring during softball (it can be cold here in the spring time). I wear the medium style under my shirts at work (I run a warehouse that doesn't have a lot of heat and the doors are open quite a bit). The thick ones are great for running outside in really cold weather, but it all depends on your weather sensitivity as to which one you would like. A bit of a warning - they are kind of expensive - the thicker ones more so.
2007-12-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1113317

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
ADollar79 - 2007-12-21 8:18 AM
ScotinSeattle - 2007-12-20 5:13 PM

Oh, and for Xmas I've asked for a HRM that comes with a shoe pod. It will be great in the fact that it tells me my heart rate (duh) distance and speed I'm going. I should be able to up my speed hopefully and distance before my 1st 1/2 marathon in March. YAY!. I've really always wanted one for a while now.

My hip seems to be doing much better now. I ran just for 20 minutes last night before swimming for an hour. It really seemed to help with the warm up etc and I stretched a lot. Something I am lazy at doing. Eek. I know, it's stupid but I never really trained like I am now...geesh. You learn from your mistakes however. But yeah anyway. On the mend. Phew.

Lynne- If you found goggles that work, then stick with them and you have one less thing to worry about!!!

What HRM did you ask for? I am an owner of a Garmin 305 and also asked for a Polar s150 for Christmas (I am a data dork junkie). Once you get it, we can discuss in further detail how to properly use it.

Take care of that hip. Please take it SLOW running again. The season hasn't even began so getting that fixed needs to be a high priority.

It is a garmin! Forerunner 50 $199.

My hip is fine now. I must have slept wrong or something. No pain at all anymore. Thankfully.  

2007-12-21 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

Thanks for the winter clothing tips!  I think I found a good use for all those Christmas gift certificates that are piling up. 

After that, next up is the LBS for a shiny, new bike. 

2007-12-21 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1113615

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
pipscweek - 2007-12-21 10:34 AM

Thanks for the winter clothing tips! I think I found a good use for all those Christmas gift certificates that are piling up.

After that, next up is the LBS for a shiny, new bike.

Me too. I'll have to wait till I come back from Scotland though.  I love riding my bike and I feel I deserve a nice one  

2007-12-21 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1113631

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
ScotinSeattle - 2007-12-21 10:43 AM

Me too. I'll have to wait till I come back from Scotland though.  I love riding my bike and I feel I deserve a nice one  

Yay!  I've been using my mountain bike, which has only resulted in me needing to get new tires for my mountain bike.    I've been doing enough tris for me to finally justify getting a road bike.  (Ok, that and three of my friends are getting road bikes too.)

2007-12-21 12:48 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
I have a GMC!! hehe. I had a great mountain bike that I rode everywhere and wanted to upgrade to a road bike. So I got that. It's faired me well - thru 7 tri's but now I am thinking of riding from Seattle to Portland next year so I want a better bike etc.
2007-12-21 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1109276

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

ADollar79 - 2007-12-19 8:02 AM

Would you care to expand upon your stroke clinic experience? How did you find the clinic? What type of instruction was it? How many people were included? What kind of drills did you do?

I am the first to admit that I HATE drills...and typically don't do them. But honestly, that is the ONLY way to improve your swim stroke and efficiency.

This was a stroke clinic with my triathlon club - we just switched our normal Monday night freestyle out with some stroke work. I went with the level 'A' people and we started with floating on our backs and then rolled to the side, then skating (?) - I think these are some TI Drills. Sadly, I haven't watched the DVD yet. Once I do, I can probably share a little more. It did help with balance in the water.

2007-12-23 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Ahhh, heart rate training.  I've been wearing a monitor for the past few years and have seen my overall heart rate come down with the same level of exertion.  It is interesting - and I would like to really understand the proper use for it. 

For example - Garmin says my max HR is 185.  I'm not sure if I set that.  It says my zones are -

• Zone 1 - 92-111 (50-60%)
  • Zone 2 - 111-129 (60-70%)
  • Zone 3 - 129-148 (70-80%)
  • Zone 4 - 148-166 (80-90%)
  • Zone 5 - 166-185 (90-100%)

I generally stay in Zone 4, though during races or high exertion, I get into the 170s or even the 180s on a steep hill. 

Is this usable info? Am I just missing what the next steps are in terms of knowing this info? 

2007-12-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1109299

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2007-12-19 8:16 AM

Well the biggest issue that you will have for St. Anthony's is training and recovering from the ING mary. Clearly, you don't need to worry about your run volume for St. A's. And the good thing is that since swimming is your weakest link right now, you can build your volume without it being a detriment to your running. However, syncing your bike will take some time. Fortunately, I find that my running cardio and biking cardio tend to get aligned very easy. Most reasonable people cycle at a heartrate about 10 beats below their run (in general terms) so you body is ready to take on the challenge. The key is aligning the mind and legs.

When you say they are way more complicated, what do you mean? Is it the 3' at RPE 7, 5' at RPE 5 jargon that is throwing you? (We are about to discuss RPE & HR)

I would recommend picking the plan that you are most comfortable with. I like to print off the calendar views and see how much training each involves. I might recommend the 12 week RPE based one. Following the plans, should get you to the starting and finish line feeling good. But like I said, the key for you is to find a plan that won't infere much with marathon training.

I think for me, the confusion lies with how complicated the training schedule needs to be. There are a few schedules that I'm looking at -

• Olympic, Basic 12 Week - HR Zone Based
  • Olympic Basic 12 Week - RPE Based
  • Sprint to Olympic Bridge - 12 Week
  • Olympic - 3x Balanced - 16 Week -

The Olympic 3x Balanced uses just minutes - so for Day 1 it's swim 24 minutes/bike 48 minutes. That doesn't seem so overwhelming, but I wonder if it's detailed enough?

Compared to the Sprint to Olympic Bridge where Day 1 has biking -

Big Gear
Power
Start in big ring, easiest gear. Spend 3' in each gear gradually working your way to hardest gear (total 27'). Leaving it in big ring, hardest gear, do 10 x (30" grind, 30" all out, 30" grind, 30" stand). Do 5' grind in big ring, hardest gear. Gradually work your back to your easiest gear by 1' for cool-down. Grind means sitting back on saddle, turning pedals over, not worrying about cadence.

I've never done any of that stuff!

The 12 Week Beginner Program has Day 1 -

50 minutes biking -
Bike ME
Muscular Endurance
WU: 15'
MS: 5x3' w/ 1' RI:
#1 End at low RPE 7
#2 End at middle RPE 7
#3 End at upper RPE 7
#4 End at lower RPE 8
#5 Build to RPE 8 in first 45s and hold
CD: 15'

I'm not really sure where to start!  I understand a lot of the swimming workout language, and some for the running, though for me, just steady base mileage is what I need to build during the week.  I think where I get confused is the biking stuff since I've never done any real bike training.    

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2007-12-23 9:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  

of 31