BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-09 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1145955

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Closed for now.
I don't know how you got that cool dude to run or the stars on the background of the member list but I am REALLY impressed. I am easily amused and that just did it for me. I do not know how to do neat stuff like that so I will just tell you my name.

HailRunr is Kimberly.

And it is sunny again so I am off to the 2:00 run again. Wish me luck. Hopefully no snow or rain. But Hail is ALWAYS welcome!

2008-01-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1116595

User image

Veteran
2008-01-09 9:15 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Now ny that is quite attractive, but how do we get it to post to our logs, huh?  Also I prefer a blue background...
2008-01-10 8:49 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Swim encouragement ...

After swimming miserably last summer, I immersed my self in Total Immersion. Did so many drills and broke my swimming down to its fundamentals that I truly could not swim any more. One or two lengths, that was it w/o gasping and having to stop (although it has never been much better than that anyway). But I kept drilling...and that's all I did 2 times a week until the end of November. I spent some time visualizing swimming, if that makes sense, during the off time, just trying to figure out timing and such.

Anyways, after a 1.5 months break from swimming completely I got back in the pool Tues. The first few laps were like normal - 1-2 lengths at a time, having to stop, etc. Then something clicked and I swam for 20 minutes straight, smooth & relaxed. Not fast... just relaxed, and didn't have to stop. WOW! I was so pumped. I had to stop because I had to pick up the kids.

So if anyone else is struggling, it can happen. I'm not a great swimmer still and I can't help you specifically. Breaking things down and starting over was hard because it put me back so far, it felt, and nothing was working, but eventually it did. There are, I guess, so many ways to swim, but TI worked for me, but I'm sure there are other ways, too. Hopefully the next few workouts will go this well, too. It may not translate to OWS comfort, but it is one giant step closer for sure.

Just wanted to offer encouragement for other people like me who have had trouble swimming. Tuesday was the best swim I've ever had, and it came after months of nothing working at all.

Cheers....off to do mom-taxi duty.
2008-01-10 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
NY, it looks like the only person that you are missing is Daisy May. Thanks for the list.

Daisy May, where are you from? And six kids, that's got me beat by two. How old are they?

So, I've been trying to get this all straight in my head. It looks like GoForAll, Gem, CanadianCat, and I will be the ones doing our first tri.

Mathsgeek, I did check out Taupo on Google Earth and it totally depressed me for the rest of the day. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Also, it looked like a couple of people (GoForItAll and HelenS) have races coming up this weekend. Are those still in the plans?

Hope everyone has a great day!
2008-01-10 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hi Luff, don't be depressed by Taupo, just get on a plane and come on down!

It's another incredible day today, I'm running this morning, think I might go to the lake to do that. I haven't done a road run in ages, so think that will be the go for me.

How exciting that people are racing this weekend, that's cool!

My guy was in a mountainbike race here last night, just the local club ones. He's absolutely beat today, I can't wake him up!!

Have a great day guys.

2008-01-10 2:49 PM

New user

Having a rough start to the new year the fam has the stomach flu. ugh The kids range in age from 29-17 3 are married but come around often. we have four grandkids too. i live in vincennes indiana, it's pretty small but we have a univeristy which is where i work. The univeristy has a nice new student rec center which is a BIG bonus plus we have a YMCA so there are no excuses not to get moving. i hope everyone is better by tomorrow! i need to disinfect the household tonight. what motivates me is how great i feel after a workout, i have asthma so my lungs feel so much stronger after working out. i get really crabby when i don't get my workout time in
2008-01-10 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Sorry to hear about the flu Daisy.  It definitely sucks.  Glad you are back with us and ready to go.

Just googled Taupo.  If I ever get a chance to go there I am not coming back. 

2008-01-10 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Oh yeah, be envious, be very envious! When I can work David's camera, I'll take some photos of the view from the deck of our house.  I've just been for a 45 minute run along the lake front. It's about 25 degrees C, clear blue skies and a nice breeze to keep you cool. In all, no complaints needed!! (I've just edited this to say that I am TOTALLY aware of how lucky I am to be here! I'd hate to seem ungrateful for the privilege of living in such a beautiful place!)

Please all come and visit. Brian, I think you need to organise some training activities down here, so y'all can come!

I'd love it!

Edited by mathsgeek 2008-01-10 4:33 PM
2008-01-10 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1147548

Absolutely! just a 5k run this weekend. But it'll be fun because it's going to be a "disco" race. So, still thinking if I should run on platform shoes, hahahaha!

Wish me luck because the holidays took some condition out of me... I'm so slow lately. And yes, I'm missing from the updated list!

Edited by GoForAll2008 2008-01-10 6:04 PM
2008-01-10 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
If you CAN run in platforms,  I want pictures.

2008-01-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1148878

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Now I'm going to have to have ANOTHER fund. I have a bike fund, a wetsuit fund, and a cyclometer (with GPS of course) fund, and now a travel to NZ fund!!! If I didn't really need a bike I would move the NZ fund to the forefront.

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to NZ! I was in a Maori dance troupe when young and single and living in SO California. It was so much fun. I LOVED it!!!
My husband travels extensively with work (not by time but by distance). He was in Australia, London, Boston, NY and throughout California just since June. I would love to use his airmiles to go to NZ.

In fact there is a team going to NZ before the summer but he said he is so far down the list of those that could go, that there is no chance. Apparently, it is not just beautiful but the job is a much sought after opportunity.
2008-01-10 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
ok he it is in blue..

<table bgcolor="#0099CC" border="3"background="http://www.wonderbackgrounds.com/glitter/backgrounds/glitter_background_b1.gif"> <BR>
<tbody><tr><td align="center"><b> <BR>
<a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=99421&start=1"> Saling4's Group</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=43152">sailing4 - Brian</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=39674">mathsgeek - Jacqui</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=84810">Canadiancat - Cat</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=70633">HelenS- Helen</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=49116">trihtrefftz - Helmuth Trefftz </a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=77203">lufferly - Lisa</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=83896">ny15298 - Frank</a><br> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=68579">Gem - Susan Johnston</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=84207">chem13 - Chem Simoneau</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=84187">HailRunr - Kimberly</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=84482"> GoForAll2008-karime</a> <BR>
<a href="http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=78988"> Dasiy May-Lori</a> <BR>
</b></td></tr></tbody></table> <BR>

highlight the above right mouse click then copy
to add it
goto your control panel
click on Edit your training settings
click on Goals
right mouse click and then paste
scroll down and click the apply button

thats it..

goto training log and it should be there now..

good luck
2008-01-10 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
I stopped my wife from going to australia when we met and I still need to take her there. We are looking at 2009.
2008-01-10 9:16 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Brian
I have great news my mile best time of 13:30 was just a little off. OK it was TERRIBLY off. I ran a mile to see my time today and it was 9:45. I clocked it on the treadmill. My other time was wrong because that was my per minute time of the 3.5 miles at the END of my triathlon in Aug. So you can see where that would be a little slower. Ha Ha!!!
I tried to run at the pace you gave me the other day and it was impossible I couldn't walk that slowly
Could you refigure my paces for my runs. I really appreciated that info.

Thanks so much!!
Kimberly
2008-01-10 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Now that is what I am talking about ny.  Great job.

2008-01-11 12:18 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Hi Brian-
Are there strength training plans that we can import into our logs/calendars? I found some good articles, but nothing to import...

Thx.
Helen
2008-01-11 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Helen,  I will lift weights, but I am a big proponent of body weight exercises.  I guarantee that if you go through a proper BW routine you will be worn out.  Let me know if you want some ideas or a good website.
2008-01-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1151337

User image

Colorado Springs
Actually I was looking at the strength training board & saw the big thread on simplefit, which it looks like you just smoke through(!)... I was *Just* talking to my husband about getting a pull up bar - he likes to do crossfit, when he can... I was completely scared away by those routines but thought the simplefit ones looked doable. Pullups...well, at least there are substitutes

So you really think that's enough? do you add in core / abs? More legs? or is that really it ? It looks hard, I just was curious if it was *all* people do. I'll read more on the other boards, too - I don't want to hijack your mentor thread.

I guess there isn't a workout to import then - I saw the logger on the simplefit area, though, that looked doable.

Thanks.
I'll look more into this when I'm resting my weary bones next week.

I do think I'll have fun - the weather is supposed to be fantastic - 62 & sunny as opposed to the cold & snowy we've had here. Bands every .5 miles. 15,000 people. What's not to like!?

Everyone have a great weekend!
2008-01-11 9:45 PM

I know is a mentor-mentee thing, but let me put my two cents here: lately I've been trying Pilates to strenghten my core and they work BEAUTIFULLY, I know I'm overweight but developing a really tight core which is helping me a lot with the all the three disciplines.
I keep reading on Runner's Magazine and Triathlete the importance of core training, so, maybe that works better for you without weight training.
What I love about Pilates is that you work hard with really little reps, and in the end you don't get so tired, so yo can throw in running or swimming.

Good luck!
2008-01-11 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Very cool, NY, thank you! That even made me feel more computer literate than I am.

Daisy, sorry to hear everyone's been sick. I've heard quite a few people this week with some kind of stomach bug, including one of my sisters and several of her employees.

GoForIt and Helen, a "disco" 5K and bands every 1/2 mile in the mary. Sounds like lots of fun! Good luck!

Mathsgeek, I'm green, very green. But we should have a great weekend around here. My husband has a 33 mile training ride in the morning. I'm opting out to put away Christmas decorations before our home owners association sends us a letter.

HaiRunr, good news for you on the run time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2008-01-11 11:13 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Goforitall.  I have never done Pilates but have talked to people that have and they love it.

So that everyone knows the Mentor-mentee thing is about bringing us together to help each other.  I am just as capable of learning as you all.  So always put your 2 cents in , please.

As to my core training.  I do a lot of crunches and push ups.  Very boring, but I can do them watching TV.

2008-01-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1151687

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Daisy Hope you are feeling better. That's the pits.

We had the stomache bug over Christmas it was awful. Everyone in our family had it, some twice. I was one of the lucky ones to get it twice. Fun Fun!!!

I usually don't train on the weekends but I had a really good run today. 40 minutes I am really trying to just increase my endurance. I feel like I would like to try to run a longer distance but I am a little ADD, I get bored pretty easily. That's what interested me in the sprint tris so much.

By the time I am getting bored and ready to be done swimming it is time to bike and then when that is about all I can take, it's time to run. And then I am really ready to be done but...well I still have 2.5 miles to go of my 3.5 mile run but hey it ends eventually!!!!! (I get tired of the running a LOT more quickly as you can tell!!)

2008-01-13 12:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hey Hail, the running boredom thing takes an age to get over for some of us. I get over it by living up to my name, and being a mathsgeek about it! I tend to break up the run into fractions, like thinking to myself "quarter of the way, one third of the way, 5 twelfths of the way...". It works for me! Or, you can take your ipod or mp3 and sing your favourite album while you're out.

I have a dodgy heart, well not dodgy, it just does 200 quite merrily, and I can still talk to you when it's doing that. At the beginning, before my coach sussed out my heart ranges, I was told that I had to run at 145 bpm. Well, that doesn't work, so I knew that another rule was to keep your heart at a range that allowed you to talk comfortably whilst running. So, on my first run with the hrm on, when it was at 183 after about 10 steps, I put that theory to the test, and sang out loud all around the park. I teach in the school next to the park; several kids heard me singing and mocked me mercilessly the next day!

So, I've sung, you can do it too!! Or, just aim for the next corner. If you can run a route that has heaps of corners, you're always discernably closer to the end of the run whenever you turn one!

Some suggestions from the geek!

I'm away for a week y'all, I'll clock in next Sunday. Happy training!

2008-01-13 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Mathsgeek is right.  I think a lot of people start out being bored with the run,  but after a while it starts being fun.  For me it is about the 1 mile mark, up untill then I am looking for a reason to turn and go home. 

The talking test works well to keep you in a Zone:  EASY,  Talking in sentences:  Moderate:  Talking 3-4 words:  Hard,  Just trying to breath is good.  I recite the pledge of Allegiance myself.  Why?  Beats me just came to mind one day.

Have a great week Teamies. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  

of 11