BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-06-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2950675

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
wbayek - 2010-06-29 12:02 AM Jennifer - what exactly are you doing for the sleep?  I still have some issue waking up, but it's better than it was for me.

I'm planning on some good lake swimming this weekend since I'll be up there Fri-Mon.  Everyone have a great 4th!

No food after the kitchen is closed (once we clean up from dinner). If I am insatiably hungry, I will drink a glass of juice. Curtains closed in the bedroom (right now, it's not getting dark here until around 9pm and gets light around 4:30am). I am taking one complete day of rest per week (I think my body needs one day off a week) and I have been trying to finish my workouts before dinner (except for softball game nights) to give myself time to settle down. I also have started stretching for about 30 minutes each night before bed (general stretches, a bit of core work and some foam roller work). No caffeine after 10a (one cup of coffee per day) and no carbonation at all.

Now - if I could get my kids to sleep well - I'd really be set.

about clothing on a bike ride: I'd wear bike shorts/bib + jersey and a windbreaker/rain jacket. Once you warm up a bit, you can tie the jacket around your waist (rolling it up so it doesn't flap). If you use a Camelbak, you could stuff it in one of the outside pockets or in the pocket of your jersey. I think the jersey + jacket would be enough at the beginning (you will be generating some heat)...

Just my 2 cents worth. Have a great weekend at the lake...we've got the annual boat parade (all the kids in the sailing program at the harbor tootle around the harbor dressed in red, white an blue), the fireworks (out over the harbor - as long as there is no fog, it's a good show for a small town) and a parade (takes about 10 minutes and you know everyone in the parade). Lobster, corn on the cob and blueberry pie are definitely on the menu so I will try to get in a long bike ride or run at some point.

Happy 4th of July all...I'm just excited that as of tomorrow, my actual age will match the age on my calf (thanks USAT for making us poor women age up before the actual birthday!)...and you all are the only people that I know that can appreciate it. Next year - a whole new AG for me!

2010-06-30 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I've got nothing for advice on biking in the cold weather.  Now if you wanna run in 100*, I'm your man.

2010-06-30 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

We're all heading up to my brother's house in the Pocono Mtns.  It's near a 40-50 acre lake that I may try to get an open swim in.  Have to do it in the early morning before the lifeguards get there.  With that said, I don't anticipate too many workouts between now and Monday.  I'll just have to crank it back up next week.  My next race isn't until mid August, so plenty of time...

2010-06-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2953065

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-06-30 11:53 AM

I've got nothing for advice on biking in the cold weather.  Now if you wanna run in 100*, I'm your man.

I figured you'd be out on this one Ray!  Now this weekend is supposed to be 90 and humid, so I may be

Jennifer - that's what we used to do with our jackets as kids - my brain didn't even being to retrieve that information.  College killed off way too many brain cells I guess!  The jacket doesn't flap when you do that?

2010-06-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2947955

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-06-28 11:10 AM On a lighter note... An interesting note about my performance in this year's Philly Tri vs. last year's...  Check out my consistency...

2009 result: 3:07:36
2010 result: 3:07:38

The results were practically identical, but the 2010 race was a Du instead of a Tri and the temperature was about 20 degrees hotter this year.  Ray, like you said in your first race... I took what the day gave me (and it gave me a nasty rash on my butt!).

Nice work. Sad about that the other racer.

2010-06-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2948900

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-06-28 4:02 PM

That is very sad about the lost swimmer.  You did a great job managing the emotions and physical challenges of the day, especially in that absurd heat/humidity.  Great job!

Swim question: My new BT plan has workouts called swim drills, but I don't see where they describe what they mean by "drill."  Below is a typical workout description with the "100 drill."

WU: 300 swim/100 drill for warm up
MS: 300 swim w/ pull buoy ? then 100 drill ? repeat as many times as you can in 45 minutes. Swim effort on the 300s is steady ? not hard, not easy. NO STOPPING.
CD: 100

Do you guys know what the "100 drill" is?

Drill of choice.

2010-06-30 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2950762

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-06-29 12:43 PM
billsorg - 2010-06-29 7:03 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-06-28 4:13 PM I always look at that as 100m of the "drill of my choice" e.g. (tarzan drill, one arm drill, catch-up, fingertip drag, etc......)

OK... I have to ask... what's a tarzan drill?  Swing from the rafters and land in the pool while beating your chest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESJAwH3uC8w

I guess what I do isn't really "tarzan drill".  The only difference in this video and how I do it is in the recovery.    My hands and arms are completely underwater during the recovery.  It reenforces many good habits for me.  Proper arm placement out front (it's impossible to cross center line).  Good rhythm. Good catch (if you have a bad catch during this drill you can't keep your head above water) And straight swimming (no fishtailing).  It is by far my favorite drill to do.  Anyways, Bill, that's trazan drill.

I learned that as water polo swimming. They have to swim with their head above the water, it requires far more energy than regular freestyle.

2010-07-02 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Have a great 4th of July everyone!  I'm going to enjoy some more FIFA this weekend.  I'm rooting for Germany and of course who doesn't love to watch Brazil play, they just make it look like they are dancing the samba on the field, so smooth.  My wife has papers to write, so no big plans really, probably will head to the pool.
2010-07-04 12:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
ditto...have a great day everyone!
2010-07-05 9:35 AM

User image

NH
I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I'm just waiting for more company to arrive.  We've had a busy weekend with visitors, which is actually unusual for us up at the cottage.  Swims have been shorter than I hoped but I did some great water-skiing in!
2010-07-05 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
After this weekend - I have to give total props to all of you training in hot weather. We have had a heat wave here (which means highs in the upper 80s) for the last few days and while I am okay with riding (moving through the air is enough to keep me cool) and swimming (the ponds are really nice on a hot day) - my run completely disintegrates. My heart rate would just spike with a slight incline and I would have to start to walk in order to get it down to a reasonable level. For all of you who train day in and day out in the hot temps...you are awesome and MUCH better conditioned for a variety of conditions....I'm not worthy!

I am suffering from an injury (I think) and I can't decide if I should press on, or let it rest. I have pain on the inside of my left shin all the time (not just when running - which would be indicative of shin splints). I have been icing it, taking anti-inflammatories and just started with Arnica Gel (a homeopathic remedy that has worked in the past for my arthritis). I don't think it is shin splints (because of the constant pain - not just pain when running)...but other than that - I've got no idea what the problem is. It isn't debilitating, just nagging. Because the pain isn't acute - I haven't felt the urgency to see a doctor...anyone hear of anything like this?

I've got my first important (to me) race on July 24th - the first tri I attempted last year that I had to DNF due to my bike chain...I really want to finish it to quell some demons, so I'm starting to become concerned about the pain. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm FINALLY getting to my racing season and now this shows up. Any feedback/advise, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2010-07-06 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about the injury.  I think rest is the best remedy (in addition to the icing and muscle relaxers you're already doing).  You've built up a tremendous base of fitness.  If you were to take a week completely off, I don't think it's going to have much of an adverse affect on your race performance.  You'll be able to race and train pain-free, and you'll still be able to quell those demons!!!
Wink
2010-07-06 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend.  I was able to get a short OWS in at my brother's Pocono house.  But it was very short as OWS's and hangovers aren't a good mix.  I thoroughly over-indulged in everything bad and did almost nothing tri-related for the past 4 days...  So it's time to get re-focused on the HIM training program and finish the 2nd half of the tri season strong.
2010-07-06 8:05 AM

User image

NH
Jennifer, rest and I'd try the roller to see if there are any spots in the calf which are "stuck".  It shows up as pain when you roll over a spot that needs work.  And of course another shameless plug for Leigh's site for instructions on how to find the spots and do self massage and treatment.  I do think you've got a huge base so you're ok with some rest.

I also agree about the New England heat wave.  It's a little over 90 around here, and I'm dying.  Those of you who train in this heat all the time have some serious xxxx over me!

I hear you on the fun Bill - we had a great weekend but lots of visitors and late night watching fireworks on the dock.  When did individuals start getting town-like fireworks displays?  I'm not complaining since it was amazing to watch the home grown displays this year.  A long way from lighting a string of firecrackers in the driveway!

Edited by wbayek 2010-07-06 3:03 PM
2010-07-06 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Probably preaching to the choir here but,.............

I know there are a lot of posts on BT about getting a good fit.  I was always kind of skeptical at how much difference it would make.  This winter I put bull horns and a fast forward seat post on my road bike.  Once the mileage started increasing with IM training I started getting hip pain when I ran.  I assumed it was from ramping my running mileage up too fast.  After receiving  weeks of therapy, my chiro recommended to my wife that I get a fitting done at the LBS.  With enough nagging verbally repetetive suggestions from my wife, I finally broke down and made an appointment.  My seat was too high, handlebars were too high, and most importantly my seat was too far forward (3 1/2 inches).  After two rides I can tell a HUGE difference.  This past Monday was the first Monday in quite a while that my hip wasn't inflamed and sore.   Also, all lower back pain, neck pain, shoulder discomfort, etc.... were gone.  If you are suffering from any discomfort on the bike I highly recommend getting a good fitting from a qualified person.  It's the best $200.00 I have spent on triathlon. (and it's cheaper than therapy and medicine!)
2010-07-06 2:24 PM

User image

NH
Question for the group after reading Ray's post.  If I have no pains riding or running and feel great riding even on the 3 hour rides.   Should I still get a fit?  I went a long time ago for a cheapie LBS fit, but I've gotten a new seat and new aerobars since then.

Given the lack of issues, and that getting a real fit at a place like Fitwerks would double the value of my bike, so I've not felt compelled to get a fit.  My plan was to wait until I get a "real" bike and make sure I get everything squared away then.  Am I being stupid?

2010-07-07 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2963970

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2010-07-06 3:24 PM Question for the group after reading Ray's post.  If I have no pains riding or running and feel great riding even on the 3 hour rides.   Should I still get a fit?  I went a long time ago for a cheapie LBS fit, but I've gotten a new seat and new aerobars since then.

Given the lack of issues, and that getting a real fit at a place like Fitwerks would double the value of my bike, so I've not felt compelled to get a fit.  My plan was to wait until I get a "real" bike and make sure I get everything squared away then.  Am I being stupid?

I never got a bike fit either and never have pains on the bike or run (knock on wood)... I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Ray was having lots of aches and pains so a bike adjustment/fit makes sense.  Think of it this way... what happens if you get the "official" bike fit and then all the sudden you start having back or hip pain? 
2010-07-07 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Re: Bike fittings - I can only say that earlier this season I was having bike fit issues (handlebar palsy) and as soon as I got my bike fit they went away and I felt much better.  I was thinking of going back for a tuneup, so I am all for it, especially if you plan on doing long rides more often. 

However, it's hard to argue with "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and if you feel good now then what are you looking to gain?  And since you are looking to upgrade it seems more cost effective to wait.  I'd rather put that $ to a new bike, than a fit that just lasts a 1/2 season more.

2010-07-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2966195

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
mdfahy - 2010-07-07 2:10 AM

However, it's hard to argue with "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and if you feel good now then what are you looking to gain?  And since you are looking to upgrade it seems more cost effective to wait.  I'd rather put that $ to a new bike, than a fit that just lasts a 1/2 season more.

I really agree with Matt (and Bill). Especially considering that you are only going to be using this bike for the rest of this year. Save the $$ and get it done with the new bike (unless something starts to cause you problems). That's what I'm planning on doing! Now to find a place to get a good fit (nothing remotely close by - will probably have to go to NH or MA for a resource).
2010-07-07 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I did just that...I waited till I had a bike that was worth of a fit effort ...till then I muddled though with the free bike fit from the local dealer. I'm sure it would've been good to have it earlier but since money doesn't grow on my trees anymore, I was conserving and I think it worked out ok.
2010-07-08 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2967117

User image

Veteran
Richmond
bfoyle - 2010-07-07 6:56 PM I did just that...I waited till I had a bike that was worth of a fit effort ...till then I muddled though with the free bike fit from the local dealer. I'm sure it would've been good to have it earlier but since money doesn't grow on my trees anymore, I was conserving and I think it worked out ok.

Great idea - this may also be a good middle ground if you haven't done this already Warren. Find a dealer/expert/tri club member that is willing to just take a look at you on your bike and give you any free feedback.  One of the dealers who was an avid rider said he would do it for me for free, but I ended up going to get a full fit instead.

2010-07-09 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Hey, just wanted to check in before I leave for my vacation in Canada next week.  Visiting the in-laws, should be fun and hopefully will be a lot cooler up there EH!

Good luck to team captain Davidson!!  3 races in 3 days, that sounds intense, I’m lucky to get in 3 races in 3 months!  Stay hydrated and keep a well balanced nutrition.

Hope everyone’s training continues to go well next week.  Bob is inching closely to the Calgary 70.3, really excited for you man and I know others are prepped and ready to race too!

In between the family fun, I want to work on my core and get some short runs in if I can.

?
?
?
??

2010-07-09 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Good luck Aaron! Stay cool...the temp will definitely be a factor.

Have a great time in Canada Matt - hope it is cooler than here!

Hope all are doing well with their training...Thanks for all the advice about early am eating and shin/calf injury prevention and recovery - it really helps!

I swam with my wetsuit (OW) for the first time this season this morning...I forgot how different it make your swimming feel. 1) can't really cross over (which is a good thing) 2) the resistance on the shoulders/lats is not insignificant 3) the amount of buoyancy in the legs is ridonkulous and 4) if the water is comfortable for a swim suit - it is TOO hot for a wetsuit.

Have a great weekend all - keep up the good work!

2010-07-09 10:30 AM

User image

NH
Good luck at the Black Fly Aaron.  I am totally bummed since I was planning to meet you this weekend at the International race.  We're going to a family thing instead, and wife is working Sunday so I won't be able to get over there on Sunday to catch the sprint.

Well, I will definitely get over to see the beginning of the Timberman half, so I'll see you there.  That's my last day of vacation so I probably won't stay for the whole event, but I'm looking forward to cheering you out of the water and through T1!

Stay cool and have a great weekend everyone.
2010-07-09 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Good luck this weekend, Aaron. Have a great time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76