BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-08-23 12:29 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

And with that - I'm off to the Mediterranean for 2 weeks!

2011-08-23 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3654802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
jsiegs - 2011-08-23 12:29 AM

And with that - I'm off to the Mediterranean for 2 weeks!

That's awesome!!!  Thanks for sharing the picture.  Have a wonderful time!!

2011-08-23 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3653900

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-08-22 2:03 PM
[email protected] - 2011-08-22 12:25 PM

Hey all! 

Rode 4.5 hours saturday and ran 30 mins after and than Sunday Rode 1 hour and Ran 2 hours, my gosh I think they are trying to kill me with this training, I sure hope the Ironamn is funner than the training. 

This week is recovery week, thank god, I need it.

an hour swim today!  Jsut keep pushing 

You are amazing!!!

Thanks   u made my day!

2011-08-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3654856

User image

Veteran
Naples
Congrads!   Great picture
2011-08-23 8:46 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Joe-very nice!  Somebody has to say it....dude, you out kicked your coverage big time!
Randy
2011-08-23 8:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone-I'm still at it but have been busy at work.  Short swim this morning at 5:00am and a run planned at lunch....going to be hot!

Randy

2011-08-23 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Hey everyone!  This has nothing to do with training, but we had an earthquake in Maryland this afternoon. How crazy is that?!  I'm REALLY going to get back into it soon.  Really soon.  Starting Monday I will be training for my half marathon.  Seriously training.  Actually running, not just buying shoes.  PLEASE check my logs and give me a hard time if they are still blank.

Christy

2011-08-23 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Congrats Joe! Beautiful picture - your wedding looks lovely. Have fun on the honeymoon and enjoy the relaxation!

Christy - My boss and co-workers claim they felt it in my office!!! I was on the ground, not on the 12th floor but they were all talking about it when I got back from lunch. That is crazy! 

I'm trying to convince myself to get out there and do 3.5 miles right now but I am so gosh darn tired for no good reason! And my allergies are bad bad bad. And I JUST finished today's work. OK, didn't FINISH, but got to a stopping point. Yikes. Well, there's no way I'm NOT getting my miles in, so I just have to go change and then pump myself up. Usually by the time my gym shoes are on the rest of my body knows it's go time

Also, I feel like I could eat an entire chocolate cake and a box of mac and cheese. Oy. I need sleep.

2011-08-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3654802

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Joe! Congrats, beautiful picture thank you for sharing! Your brides dress is incredible! Have a great time in the Mediterranean!

On another note. not much going on for me right now. I have a sick baby so we can't go to the gym, it's so darn hot outside that even at 9 pm it's still 95 degrees.

I think my season is over. I had planned on doing a race in Oct, but we have decided to begin trying to  expand our family I'm going to keep on going until we have confirmation, but I think mentally I'm done.

I'll still linger around with the group though, cause I like ya'll, and well I want to hang out with the cool group

2011-08-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3656311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-08-23 8:43 PM

I think my season is over. I had planned on doing a race in Oct, but we have decided to begin trying to  expand our family I'm going to keep on going until we have confirmation, but I think mentally I'm done.

I'll still linger around with the group though, cause I like ya'll, and well I want to hang out with the cool group

Good luck with the baby making   Sorry your little one is sick.

Christy

2011-08-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3656272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-08-23 8:10 PM

I'm trying to convince myself to get out there and do 3.5 miles right now but I am so gosh darn tired for no good reason! And my allergies are bad bad bad. And I JUST finished today's work. OK, didn't FINISH, but got to a stopping point. Yikes. Well, there's no way I'm NOT getting my miles in, so I just have to go change and then pump myself up. Usually by the time my gym shoes are on the rest of my body knows it's go time

Also, I feel like I could eat an entire chocolate cake and a box of mac and cheese. Oy. I need sleep.

I hope you pumped yourself up and got out there!

2011-08-23 9:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-you have made great gains.  Reallyi mpressed with your resilence in working through some down periods (bad group ride).  Good luck with expanding the family.  Hope you will continue to hang around and keep us motivated! You have had a great season.

Nicole-No way I could run this late. Especially after the bowl of ice cream with hot fudge that I just ate!  I'm a morning person...so in bed by 9:00-9:30pm and always up by 5:15am......4:30am on workout mornings.  Oh to be young again.  Next thing you know I will be eating dinner at 4:00 in the afternoon like the rest of the old folks.

Christy-time to get motivated and get back out there.  Time to dirty up the new shoes.  Keep an eye on the hurricane!

Talked to my buddy in Virginia about the earthquake.  Weird for it to happen in that area.  

Time for bed.

Randy
2011-08-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3656318

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-08-23 8:48 PM

I hope you pumped yourself up and got out there!

I did. And, as usually happens when I'm dragging through the day and not wanting to run, I had a fantastic run. The weather was gorgeous - a cool little breeze, the moonlight was streaming down, not too much traffic, and just a fabulous energy in the atmosphere. Incredibly rewarding. I'm SUCH a night runner, which is an oddity in the running community, I know. It's very difficult to find workout buddies to do anything with me.

I would actually like to transition to A.M. workouts, but my problem is that my b/f is basically an insomniac. He's up and buzzing around the apartment until sometimes 3 a.m. If I asked him to be quiet starting at 9 or 10, that would limit a lot of his 'productive' time in our very small place. I've tried to go to sleep early, but that sort of throws off the balance of our household. So, I continue with the late-night workouts. Maybe once he finds a full-time job the morning workout transition will be easier (but even then I think I might miss the moonlight).

Hope you all are recovered from the East Coast earthquake. Apparently my building shook. I was underground having lunch (at a basement-level restaurant) and didn't feel anything.

2011-08-25 7:58 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone!

Nick-hope the hurricane does not mess up your race this weekend.  Should be well past Jacksonville by Sunday?

Christy-anyone else along the east coast...keep an eye on the storm and stay safe.

Anyone else racing this weekend?  I think I am going to sign up for an olympic distance race at the Gulf scheduled for Sept 10.  I did it a couple of years ago and really struggled through the swim and the run was out and back along the beach road. Very HOT!  Its close to home and we don't have anything scheduled that weekend so why not. 

Randy
2011-08-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3658403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-08-25 7:58 AM Good morning everyone!

Nick-hope the hurricane does not mess up your race this weekend.  Should be well past Jacksonville by Sunday?

Christy-anyone else along the east coast...keep an eye on the storm and stay safe.

Anyone else racing this weekend?  I think I am going to sign up for an olympic distance race at the Gulf scheduled for Sept 10.  I did it a couple of years ago and really struggled through the swim and the run was out and back along the beach road. Very HOT!  Its close to home and we don't have anything scheduled that weekend so why not. 

Randy

Randy-I hope this year it won't be as hot.  Why was the swim so tough?  I'm thinking about doing a run to remember 5k on 9/11. 

We are getting some crazy weather up here!!  The storm should hit saturday/sunday.  Looks like strong wind and rain.  I'm taking my daughter to the hospital for a sleep study Saturday night.  Hope things aren't too bad. 

Christy

2011-08-25 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

In a somewhat of a 'taper' week before my Oly on Sunday. Hurricane Irene was threatening to possibly cancel the race, however the race will be a go. Supposed to be somewhat windy, warm, and humid. I guess they call it the H.O.T. for a reason, huh? All is well though in my training and what not. Really using this race as a 'dress rehearsal' of sorts for Augusta 70.3 (one month from today! September 25th).

I meant to add in a previous post, Randy...I actually had bought an aero helmet off the classifieds section on here. My biking has really improved in the last 2 months, so much so that I am really excited to get on the bike and go. Whereas before I was more excited about swimming and running.

About the only thing I can complain about is that I bought some racing flats (Mizuno Ronin 3), and decided to run a few times in them this past week. The first time, I ran in them without socks, and now I have some great blisters on the back of my feet. Sweet! Looks like I will be putting socks on in T1, not what I was planning to do in an Oly race. However, I guess it is good practice since I planned on wearing socks in the HIM. Keep up the good training everyone.

P.S. Has anyone worn the arm-coolers? I bought a pair of Zoot sleeves for when I am riding, mainly so I don't have to put sunscreen on my arms...can't stand sliding around on my aero-bar pads.

2011-08-25 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3658781

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
What the heck are arm coolers? Going to google now!
2011-08-26 8:25 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey Folks-we made it to Friday. 5 miles easy on the treadmill this morning and probably an easy spin on the bike this evening.

Nick-good luck at the H.O.T. this weekend.

East Coast folks hope the storm doesn't mess with you too much.

Randy
2011-08-26 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys. 5 miles again this weekend. I posted some thoughts on the Hal Higdon novice training on my workout log if you're interested. To summarize, I don't really feel like I'm making any fitness gains with the novice program. I'm mainly doing this version because I have been injured in the past and I'm technically still recovering my IT band and hip/SI joint, but I really think I need to incorporate some more intermediate speed workouts into my schedule (tempo runs, intervals, ladders, etc.).

So far so good with the running 3x per week, but at four weeks in I really just feel like I'm maybe coasting vs. getting faster or stronger.

Question for Randy: At what point during injury recovery should you start to push it in terms of speed work vs. keeping things easy and, frankly, boring, to just get through the distance? My IT band/knee issues are a work in progress and coming along just fine (fine up until about 6 miles, then get tight and become inflamed), but my SI joint is sort of vacillates between being good and being really fired up. I can't just "run faster" during my regular training runs; I need dedicated days to focus on speed.  Thoughts?

2011-08-26 11:12 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-not sure I am a good person to give advice regarding injury avoidance/speed work.  Everytime I seem to really ramp up the mileage or intensity I seem to have a set back.  But, I'll throw out a few thoughts.

1. You are following a plan for a reason....consistent training to get you to the finish line?  Obviously you want to finish as fast as possible but  don't want to end up injured.  Sometimes these plans are relly easy in the beginning because it may be directed at people with less of an overall fitness base than what you have.  Look at the last 5-6 weeks of the plan and see if it is a little more challenging. If not maybe bump up to the next most challenging plan.

2. "Speed work"...lots of different opinions out there on this one.  I've read articles where the author has advised against any speedwork until someone is at 30mpw.  I don't do any speed work sessions but will often incorporate some moderate speedwork into a workout.  Maybe do a run at a moderate pace rather than an easy pace or try to "negative split" the second half of a run.  I have not done any really hard intervals in a long time...other than a recent 5k.  You will make gains with good consistent running.  

3. Maybe try to drop your average mile pace a little every week or 2.  Get your body accustom to going a little harder without killing yourself.  I think you will see gradual gains that way i.e. going faster at the same effort level.

4.  Keep doing what you are doing.  We all want improvement but as for me I don't want it at the expense of several weeks/months of downtime due to injury.  Build that aerobic engine and it will help across the board.

Nicole..do you use a HR monitor?

Randy
2011-08-26 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3660746

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

slornow - 2011-08-26 11:12 AM Nicole-not sure I am a good person to give advice regarding injury avoidance/speed work.  Everytime I seem to really ramp up the mileage or intensity I seem to have a set back.  But, I'll throw out a few thoughts.

1. You are following a plan for a reason....consistent training to get you to the finish line?  Obviously you want to finish as fast as possible but  don't want to end up injured.  Sometimes these plans are relly easy in the beginning because it may be directed at people with less of an overall fitness base than what you have.  Look at the last 5-6 weeks of the plan and see if it is a little more challenging. If not maybe bump up to the next most challenging plan.

2. "Speed work"...lots of different opinions out there on this one.  I've read articles where the author has advised against any speedwork until someone is at 30mpw.  I don't do any speed work sessions but will often incorporate some moderate speedwork into a workout.  Maybe do a run at a moderate pace rather than an easy pace or try to "negative split" the second half of a run.  I have not done any really hard intervals in a long time...other than a recent 5k.  You will make gains with good consistent running.  

3. Maybe try to drop your average mile pace a little every week or 2.  Get your body accustom to going a little harder without killing yourself.  I think you will see gradual gains that way i.e. going faster at the same effort level.

4.  Keep doing what you are doing.  We all want improvement but as for me I don't want it at the expense of several weeks/months of downtime due to injury.  Build that aerobic engine and it will help across the board.

Randy

Good advice. My goal is definitely to get to the finish line, and to do so around 2:10/2:15. And to not get injured. I know it's best to stick with it, I just probably needed to hear it. I do not use a HR monitor but have been thinking about getting one for a while. Do you recommend one? Why?

2011-08-26 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3660940

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-08-26 12:54 PM

slornow - 2011-08-26 11:12 AM Nicole-not sure I am a good person to give advice regarding injury avoidance/speed work.  Everytime I seem to really ramp up the mileage or intensity I seem to have a set back.  But, I'll throw out a few thoughts.

Randy

Good advice. My goal is definitely to get to the finish line, and to do so around 2:10/2:15. And to not get injured. I know it's best to stick with it, I just probably needed to hear it. I do not use a HR monitor but have been thinking about getting one for a while. Do you recommend one? Why?

Nicole-just curious regarding the HR monitor.  It may be a way to monitor your effort other than pace or RPE-"how hard you feel you are working".  There is some research (Dr. Phil Maffetone) that advocates never going beyond HR Z2 in your running.  Roughly the theory is that most all running/racing is still primarily aerobic rather than anaerobic activity so if you do your training at Z1-Z2 you are building that aerobic engine.  Ultimately you are suppose to be able to run a faster pace at the same HR/effort level.  Mark Allen, legendary triathlete, is a proponent of this type of training and has quite an online coaching business that uses this theory. 

I have mixed feelings on the HR monitor.  Definitely think it is a good tool and I use one a good bit while running and almost always while cycling.  Problem is HR can be affected by so many factors like heat, fatigue, stress....  For instance, in the hot humid summers down here my easy pace HR is 10-15 bpm faster than it is on a nice cool day. 

So.....HR monitor is just another tool in evaluating training and effort level.  Lots of good triathlon plans out there that are HR based so  it definitely has benefits.   Overall helpful but not essential.

Not sure I am helping much.

Randy 

Edited by slornow 2011-08-26 6:07 PM
2011-08-29 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Good Monday Morning!!!!!

Just came off of 'taper' week, feel good going for a massage this evening after 3400 meter swim.  These next three weeks are going to be killer : P  

For motivation I have been watching Ironman videos on YouTube.  Even downloaded a few Eminen (hope spelt that right) songs to my IPod too.  I told my students that if I am tired, grouchy and short with them, deal with it, I am going to be an Ironman   

2011-08-29 8:25 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Rob-keep it up.  You are in the home stretch.  Stay healthy!!!!

I did a longish bike (2.5hrs) on Saturday followed by a 3 mile run.  That has me rethinking the olympic distance race in 2 weeks.  Felt good at the beginning of the run but really faded in the heat. It is always a really hot race with the run on the asphalt beachroad with zero shade. There is also a mini sprint 300 swim/10 mile bike/2 mile run and I think I will do that with a buddy of mine that is just getting into triathlon.  I will just go all out for as much of it as I can.....kind of looking forward to it.

It was actually pleasant yesterday morning...75 degrees when I headed out on my run.  Warmed up quickly but the short break in temps has me anxious for Fall temps and football.  

Randy  
2011-08-29 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Thanks Randy! I actually think the HR would be more helpful for me on the bike than on the run - I seem to have no clue about my rate of exertion there; I always think I could be pushing more there. Re: Running, I have the same feelings about weather affecting performance and speed, etc. Plus, I have a mild case of exercise-induced asthma, so I try to pay a lot of attention to my heart rate and breathing anyway during my run.  I have been thinking about getting one... I may look for one on sale.

Rob - YOU ARE GOING TO BE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I bet your students are so impressed. Keep your spirits up, you're almost there! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56