BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD

Love the stories about the active kiddos!  A few first triathlons coming up this summer and a math bike ride, how cool!  I got a proud feeling reading about signing up for the first kids' races and I don't even have kids .  What a fun thing to witness; your children being active and taking enough interest in something you do to try it out, too.

Brie - you are racing this weekend?  Good luck!!

2012-04-26 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Well, I managed to haul my butt out of bed this morning before 6 so that I could get the swim/run brick (is it still called that if it is not bike/run?) in before work.  I'm not sure if I got more wet on the swim or the run...very rainy here this morning.  Swim was less than pretty, but got 'er done, run felt really good.  Just a nice easy pace in the woods along the river.  Even saw a pileated woodpecker!  And now I need a nap Wink.
2012-04-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4173858

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-04-26 11:31 AM
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 2:19 PM
jobaxas - 2012-04-26 5:32 AM

Oh Lordy, I'm English living in Australia - hockey was just an outdoor sport enforced upon us girls at high school in English winter - and we had to wear shorts, my legs were always a mottled purple colour!

So I know little or NOTHING about hockey....

Now soccer I might be able to participate better.....and Aussie Rules Football.....

I too love this mentor group!

Did you see the European Champions league semi finals? Now, they were a couple of good matches. i cant believe that both Barcelona and Real Madrid got knocked out.

Ooooh, FOOTBALL. We are a football fanatics family (on both my mother AND father's sides, despite that they came from two completely different countries and cultures!) Then again, Germans and Indonesians being football fanatics is just about part of the definition ... the last time Indonesia played their archrival Malaysia, ALL AIR TRAFFIC stopped at the Jakarta airport (a major international airport for a greater city of 30 million!) and not an employee was to be seen ... everyone was watching the game. Women in red (for Indonesia) burkas were jumping up and down screaming alongside confused tourists in board shorts and straw hats.

I can count on one hand the times my dad and I have had father-daughter moments and two of them involve watching football and betting on the games. (I always, always lose. ALWAYS. To him, anyway).

That said ... GO BAYERN MUNICH! Einer geht noch rein!!!

This is why you always lose. There are only two teams left and you have picked the wrong one again!

Try GO CHELSEA.

Actually, i think that Bayern will probably win but i have to be patriotic in this instance and support the English team.

2012-04-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4174198

User image

England
KansasMom - 2012-04-26 2:32 PM

Oh, dear. I have a busy day at work yesterday, and the group turns to hockey and soccer. I don't know much about either, except that my middle son loves to play soccer. I don't understand hockey. You can't even see how hot the guys are.

Now baseball . . . that I could sit and watch for hours.

Soooo . . . like I said above -- busy day yesterday. So I didn't get out for a run until 10:15 last night. It was wonderful. The only problem was that I was super psyched up when I got back, and at 1:30 a.m., I was still awake. :-(

90s here again yesterday -- we had to turn the air conditioning on last night. That's probably one reason I couldn't get to sleep. I'm sensitive about noise, and the fan seemed loud.

A cold front is moving in tonight, so I'm hoping our (my middle son's) math/bike ride doesn't get cancelled tomorrow. His class is doing a 12 mile bike ride, with checkpoints where they must solve math problems correctly before moving on. We are so excited.

Night run sounds great, as does the school bike. Wish we had things like that in England

2012-04-26 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4174580

User image

England
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-26 4:27 PM
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 2:08 AM
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-25 9:04 PM

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

Go have big fun this weekend, then on Monday give yourself a big slap up the side of the head and get something done cos you'll only have 10 training days as you won't want to train for the last couple of days before the big day.

Thanks Allen! I know, this was a bad time to lose focus, my race is soooo close!! But, it's a short swim (250m), and I know I'll be ok with the 10 mile bike, and then I'll just have to grind out 5K.  As long as I don't go out too hard too fast, I  think I'll make it. I haven't practiced any transitions though...did you do any before the big race?

I was lucky enough to get some transition coaching for free when i signed up for my triathlon and found it really useful. If you can make half an hour with an experienced triathlete before raceday, it will really help shave a minute or two off your time (which having just done my first, i now realise how much that can mean in places up the field). I also thought that i i should not go out too fast but could probably pushed myself a little harder. The first one is great fun but so tricky to get right.

Have a brilliant time and don't forget to smile as often as possible

Edited by ukweeble 2012-04-26 1:37 PM
2012-04-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4174652

User image

England
crews - 2012-04-26 4:50 PM

Just signed the kiddo up for his first triathlon.  I am so dang excited.  He'll swim 50 yards, ride 2 miles and run 1/2 mile.  Pretty sure I'm more excited about this than I was my first triatholon! 

Had a great ride last night with the girls.  Lots of hills and wind.  Great workout.

Most awesome. I hope my daughter gets more interested.

2012-04-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4174580

User image

Melon Presser
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-26 11:27 PM
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 2:08 AM
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-25 9:04 PM

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for almost a week I think! And along with my lack of posts, I've been lacking in training! Really fell off this week, no really good reason why. Not sick, not too busy...just bleh.  Hand in hand with that, my healthy eating initiative has fallen off.  So, I really need to my mojo-vation (haha, I just made that up - I like it!)  Unfortuantely (well, it's fun but...) I am going away Friday for a girl's weekend in Ithaca, NY with my college girlfriends. It's our annual reunion, we do dinner, wine tour, Collegetown Bagels...the works. It's fun, but there will be no exercise, lots of food and even more drink! (although 2 friends had the nerve to get knocked up right before wine weekend! Honestly, better planning please!) So...my goal is to get up tomorrow morning and try out a new swim group, since my coached swim is over until late fall/until OW season begins.  Then either spin or a jaunt on the 'mill after work. Then packing, then my friend and her dog come over (sorry kitties!) so that we can hit the road early Friday morning for Ithaca. 

Oh, and as of this coming Sunday, t-minus TWO WEEKS til my first triathlon!! Terrible time to lose focus on the training, ahhhh! Surprised (there's isn't a good "nervous" emoticon...)

Sounds like everyone else is doing great though! Nice work, especially to the racers!

Go have big fun this weekend, then on Monday give yourself a big slap up the side of the head and get something done cos you'll only have 10 training days as you won't want to train for the last couple of days before the big day.

Thanks Allen! I know, this was a bad time to lose focus, my race is soooo close!! But, it's a short swim (250m), and I know I'll be ok with the 10 mile bike, and then I'll just have to grind out 5K.  As long as I don't go out too hard too fast, I  think I'll make it. I haven't practiced any transitions though...did you do any before the big race?

I barely cycled ... at all ... ever ... until the race

You'll be fine. And remember you can always take walk breaks or heck even walk the run. You won't be the only one!

Have a wonderful vacation ... and speaking of walking, nice brisk walk is always a good digestif and will keep you primed a bit for your race.

2012-04-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4174890

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2012-04-27 1:42 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-26 12:12 PM
crews - 2012-04-26 10:50 AM

Just signed the kiddo up for his first triathlon.  I am so dang excited.  He'll swim 50 yards, ride 2 miles and run 1/2 mile.  Pretty sure I'm more excited about this than I was my first triatholon! 

Had a great ride last night with the girls.  Lots of hills and wind.  Great workout.

Very cool! How old is he? A little manatee in training! 

My little mini-manatee is 7.  He'll be 8 by race day. 

AWWW so wonderful! (Mini manatee ... I like that). Actually, I never felt more like a triathlete than when I volunteered at a kids' tri ... they are SO the spirit of the sport.

2012-04-26 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4173781

User image

Elite
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 1:19 AM

Oh Lordy, I'm English living in Australia - hockey was just an outdoor sport enforced upon us girls at high school in English winter - and we had to wear shorts, my legs were always a mottled purple colour!

Now soccer I might be able to participate better.....and Aussie Rules Football.....

Did you see the European Champions league semi finals? Now, they were a couple of good matches. i cant believe that both Barcelona and Real Madrid got knocked out.

so happy to see both Spanish teams go out!  Hehe!  And to see Messi and Ronaldo miss, just the icing on the cake. 

Now not a fan of Chelsea but yes I'll go with them being the English team (if it was Arsenal I wouldn't!!!)

Unfortunately I'm a West Ham fan by genetics....not something I admit often.  But my heart lies with AC Milan and Paolo Maldini, Juventus and Alessandro Del Piero - oh I'm sensing a hot Italian men theme here!

2012-04-26 3:03 PM

User image

England

Mini Manatees-marvellous madness.

Just back from my character building 'rain run'. Soon i will have 'Hardened The Frog Up' so much, you will have to call me a toad.

2012-04-26 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4173858

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2012-04-26 5:31 AM

Ooooh, FOOTBALL. We are a football fanatics family (on both my mother AND father's sides, despite that they came from two completely different countries and cultures!) Then again, Germans and Indonesians being football fanatics is just about part of the definition ... the last time Indonesia played their archrival Malaysia, ALL AIR TRAFFIC stopped at the Jakarta airport (a major international airport for a greater city of 30 million!) and not an employee was to be seen ... everyone was watching the game. Women in red (for Indonesia) burkas were jumping up and down screaming alongside confused tourists in board shorts and straw hats.

I can count on one hand the times my dad and I have had father-daughter moments and two of them involve watching football and betting on the games. (I always, always lose. ALWAYS. To him, anyway).

Same here - all father and daughter bonding has taken place watching football or rugby!  My dad and I are fans of good football - doesn't matter who is playhing it, we like skill and entertainment - having said that we are West Ham United fans who haven't played well since about 1980.

I like Liverpool as an English side and every other team I like is based on hotness - AC Milan and Juventus my teams of choice!

2012-04-26 3:05 PM

User image

Elite

Thursday turned into an unscheduled rest day.

I had decided to delay my 45min run to the evening - didn't happen.  After homework, bathing, a game of Mousetrap and story time I was ready for bed by 7.30!!!  I fell asleep on the couch and went to bed at 9pm after a dinner of a banana.   In the middle of the night I had toast and peanut butter.

I feel great this morning, really well rested.  Tonight I feel the need for a 60min swim then 1hour bike trainer - bring it on!

2012-04-26 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4175287

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-27 4:03 AM

Mini Manatees-marvellous madness.

Just back from my character building 'rain run'. Soon i will have 'Hardened The Frog Up' so much, you will have to call me a toad.

Not such a bad thing, everyone knows not to try and lick a toad! Tongue out

2012-04-26 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4174965

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-04-27 2:19 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-26 11:31 AM

This is why you always lose. There are only two teams left and you have picked the wrong one again!

Try GO CHELSEA.

Actually, i think that Bayern will probably win but i have to be patriotic in this instance and support the English team.

Dad? Is that you?

2012-04-26 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4175289

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-04-27 4:04 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-26 5:31 AM

Same here - all father and daughter bonding has taken place watching football or rugby!  My dad and I are fans of good football - doesn't matter who is playhing it, we like skill and entertainment - having said that we are West Ham United fans who haven't played well since about 1980.

I like Liverpool as an English side and every other team I like is based on hotness - AC Milan and Juventus my teams of choice!

SLUUUURP!!!

2012-04-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4175282

User image

England
jobaxas - 2012-04-26 9:02 PM

so happy to see both Spanish teams go out!  Hehe!  And to see Messi and Ronaldo miss, just the icing on the cake. 

Now not a fan of Chelsea but yes I'll go with them being the English team (if it was Arsenal I wouldn't!!!)

Unfortunately I'm a West Ham fan by genetics....not something I admit often.  But my heart lies with AC Milan and Paolo Maldini, Juventus and Alessandro Del Piero - oh I'm sensing a hot Italian men theme here!

Sorry to hear about your claret and blue heritage and thought you would be over your italian tendancies, considering you are surrounded by Aussie hunks.

The Messi, Ronaldo penalty misses were sweet (As was the sending off of John Terry if i'm honest) i'm not a big fan of Chelsea to be fair, but they are all we have left.

My own team is Nottingham Forest, and with their current form, it is probably best if i keep quiet.

2012-04-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4175340

User image

Seattle
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 3:18 PM

Sorry to hear about your claret and blue heritage and thought you would be over your italian tendancies, considering you are surrounded by Aussie hunks.

The Messi, Ronaldo penalty misses were sweet (As was the sending off of John Terry if i'm honest) i'm not a big fan of Chelsea to be fair, but they are all we have left.

My own team is Nottingham Forest, and with their current form, it is probably best if i keep quiet.

Hmmmmm...I don't have much to contribute in the soccer...er football world, except perhaps a vivid memory of Brandi Chastain in the World Cup 1999 Smile

2012-04-26 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4175449

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-04-27 4:53 AM
ukweeble - 2012-04-26 3:18 PM

Hmmmmm...I don't have much to contribute in the soccer...er football world, except perhaps a vivid memory of Brandi Chastain in the World Cup 1999 Smile

Now THAT is an iconic image.

2012-04-26 3:58 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Oh, and speaking of iconic images, Salty ... I do recall a most wonderful Manatee picture showing that you have one, or uh two nice features besides your eyes.
2012-04-26 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4175471

User image

Seattle

TriAya - 2012-04-26 3:58 PM Oh, and speaking of iconic images, Salty ... I do recall a most wonderful Manatee picture showing that you have one, or uh two nice features besides your eyes.

HA! I had forgotten about this photo and now it has come up...twice! 

2012-04-26 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, after sitting at my desk eating M&Ms and peanut butter on a spoon, I am going to the gym for a little run/swim combo.  Someone please check in with me to ask if I actually did it - b/c I fear I'll drive past the gym! Where is my mojo-vation??

2012-04-26 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4175526

User image

Melon Presser

ArielLIlB - 2012-04-27 5:22 AM Ok, after sitting at my desk eating M&Ms and peanut butter on a spoon, I am going to the gym for a little run/swim combo.  Someone please check in with me to ask if I actually did it - b/c I fear I'll drive past the gym! Where is my mojo-vation??

If you're reading this, you're not in your car yet. Go Brie Go!

2012-04-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4175529

User image

Extreme Veteran
TriAya - 2012-04-26 5:23 PM

ArielLIlB - 2012-04-27 5:22 AM Ok, after sitting at my desk eating M&Ms and peanut butter on a spoon, I am going to the gym for a little run/swim combo.  Someone please check in with me to ask if I actually did it - b/c I fear I'll drive past the gym! Where is my mojo-vation??

Ok, I just closed the peanut butter - I'm outta here!

2012-04-26 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4175534

User image

Seattle
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-26 4:25 PM

annnnnnd you inspired me to open my jar. Ugh it's nearly empty! 

2012-04-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4175551

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-04-26 2:34 PM
ArielLIlB - 2012-04-26 4:25 PM

annnnnnd you inspired me to open my jar. Ugh it's nearly empty! 

Y'all should switch to Almond Butter--less inflammatory. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81