BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-02-01 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

Dirk, wow...I'm sure everyone there really appreciates what you and your crew does for them.

Will go for it...60 miles will be fun, especially with a group. 

2013-02-01 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Will x3 on the bike ride this weekend it defintiely can't hurt to get out there and get a long ride in if you are up for it.

Dirk glad to hear things were better for you yesterday even though you guys are still working in some rough conditions. Hope you get the job finished up today.

Karl and Jen good luck to you guys this weekend in the HM, represent the Junkies well and have fun.

2013-02-01 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
lol Tony, you better count on Jen to represent the Junkies good...I'm hoping to just finish.  It is going to be embarassingly slow... Going to get a massage today but thanks for thinking of us!!!
2013-02-01 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
We have junkies racing this weekend? That's exciting, Jen/Karl have a good time and enjoy the race! I would say try to stay warm but that's probably easy where you are
2013-02-01 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4603403

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
pistuo - 2013-01-31 6:18 PM

My bike: Felt B12 w/ SRAM force.  I dont deserve it... yet.

I'm still getting workouts in regardless of all the sickness... maybe I need to rest more?  Since this is my 3rd sickness in 6 weeks...

Okay, need some help from anyone who has time... There's a local ride/race this saturday and I'm trying to figure out which distance to go for.  I just got back on my bike at the end of last year and my longest ride so far is 30 miles... I think I could pull off 50 miles, but 60 is the max and I'd love to go for it.  You guys have any advice?

Also, if you know how to read elevation charts, could you check the site maps out and tell me how bad the hills are???

http://www.freezeyourfanny.com/

Thanks guys!

I hate to be the dad in the group, but you really need to consider how bad your current cold is before doing this ride.  It may in fact tip your immune system over the edge and you could be down for the count for a week and there goes another week of training and another week of getting rid of this pesky cold you have had.  Are you taking care of yourself? Getting enough sleep?  Vitamin C? Balanced diet lately?

Looking at the course outline, it looks like a rolling hilly course.  Nothing really hard, but definitely rolling the entire time.  I'm not sure what the average temperature is for this time of year, but this course is always hard to dress for in my opinion.  If I were you I would over-estimate and dress warm.  I carry a camelbak backpack during cold rides just so I can adjust my layers.

ETA:  THERE ARE HOMEMADE COOKIES AT THE REST STOPS!  WHY ARE YOU EVEN QUESTIONING THIS!?

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2013-02-01 9:26 AM
2013-02-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4603403

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
pistuo - 2013-01-31 5:18 PM

My bike: Felt B12 w/ SRAM force.  I dont deserve it... yet.

I'm still getting workouts in regardless of all the sickness... maybe I need to rest more?  Since this is my 3rd sickness in 6 weeks...

Okay, need some help from anyone who has time... There's a local ride/race this saturday and I'm trying to figure out which distance to go for.  I just got back on my bike at the end of last year and my longest ride so far is 30 miles... I think I could pull off 50 miles, but 60 is the max and I'd love to go for it.  You guys have any advice?

Also, if you know how to read elevation charts, could you check the site maps out and tell me how bad the hills are???

http://www.freezeyourfanny.com/

Thanks guys!

Will, the weather forecast for tomorrow is absolutely incredible!  High of 69 and sun! 

If you think you can make 50 then you can make 60.  Do the whole ride.  I'm sure it will be plenty chilly at the beginning of the ride, so I would suggest you dress for that temperature and then have a plan that allows you to shed layers later on.  I suggest this because you've been sick and it would probably be best to stay warm.

If the worst happens and you bonk out there and hate life and it's a complete and utter death march to the finish where you fall off your bike and need an hour before you can drive home.....then it will pay dividends in improved bike fitness! 

I see no downside to over reaching on biking distance.  Sounds like food and water will be provided out there along the way, so it really takes care of the only consideration.  Do the big ride and let us know how it went.

2013-02-01 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I want to shout out to Jen and Karl who are racing a HM on Sunday.

I wish you both a fun time and to Karl, I hope your IT band behaves itself.

2013-02-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4604203

User image

Expert
MI

So sad the cold weather is back.  I had been able to manage to get all my long runs for the past several weeks outside over the weekend because it was manageable.  I'm not sure if it's just because we went from like 55 to 15 degrees, but it just felt SO COLD out there just walking to/fro the car.  I might just have to do my long run on the treadmil... omg.

I had my first real session of phyical therapy today.  I think it went pretty well.  She basically showed me a bunch of different stretches to do, and also told me a lot of areas of my muscles were tight, and that stretching is very important!! (She said this numerous times to emphasize it.)  It encourages me to be sure to put that EXTRA effort into stretching... she didn't directly say it, but she made me feel like I had to be stretching like an hour a day with all the different areas she was talking about!

2013-02-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4604245

User image

Expert
MI

dp

Edited by michgirlsk 2013-02-01 10:11 AM
2013-02-01 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4604245

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
michgirlsk - 2013-02-01 11:10 AM

So sad the cold weather is back.  I had been able to manage to get all my long runs for the past several weeks outside over the weekend because it was manageable.  I'm not sure if it's just because we went from like 55 to 15 degrees, but it just felt SO COLD out there just walking to/fro the car.  I might just have to do my long run on the treadmil... omg.

I had my first real session of phyical therapy today.  I think it went pretty well.  She basically showed me a bunch of different stretches to do, and also told me a lot of areas of my muscles were tight, and that stretching is very important!! (She said this numerous times to emphasize it.)  It encourages me to be sure to put that EXTRA effort into stretching... she didn't directly say it, but she made me feel like I had to be stretching like an hour a day with all the different areas she was talking about!

Tell me about it.  The wind is just ridiculous right now.  Pouring rain and in the 30's with 60  mph gusts is not my cup of tea.  I couldn't bring myself to run in it yesterday and we had a new dishwasher that I wanted to install, so that went well.

Good news about the physical therapist.  I actually learn a lot about how my body moves and operates by going to physical therapy.  Just make sure you do what they tell you to do.

2013-02-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4603247

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2013-01-31 3:41 PM
RunningYogini - 2013-01-31 11:17 AM

OK....I'm just going to send you to my album to check out my shoes.  I couldn't get the other site to work correctly.

These shoes have 327 miles of running on them.  It's a combination of treadmill, road and trail.  I only used them for running.

Any comments would be appreciated.

The pictures are very high res.  Nice view of the treadwear.  Ok, so here's the deal...there are no wear patterns that indicate ANY issues at all.  The shoes still look nearly pristine.  These are air sole shoes so there is going to be very little lost cushion, if any at all, due to the miles you have on them.

These shoes are ready for the next 300 miles if you still like them.  Honest.

You mentioned having a stride analysis done in the past and everything check out.  From what I see here I can confirm that you run perfectly at least from a foot mechanics standpoint.

Okay, so mostly because I don't know....if you don't have air cushioning, would there be a visual indication that the cushioning of the shoe is no longer any good?  Would the thickness of the sole be essentially less if the shoe is worn out???

2013-02-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4604364

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2013-02-01 10:53 AM

Okay, so mostly because I don't know....if you don't have air cushioning, would there be a visual indication that the cushioning of the shoe is no longer any good?  Would the thickness of the sole be essentially less if the shoe is worn out???

If you took careful measurements with a dial caliper you probably could measure changes in the thickness of the sole in thousandths of an inch and see a compression of the foam set in over time.

But it's also possible for the mid sole to be 'stale' without being compressed.  Just through the passage of time the EVA hardens.  I can't tell you that buying a brand new pair of shoes that have been sitting on the shelf for 2 years have lost 'x' amount of their cushioning, but I can say that in theory EVA has a shelf life.

So just through the passage of time, not even to mention from thousands of landings, the EVA loses it's cushion. 

How big of a problem is this?  Less than I used to believe.  You know that there are runners out there having a good old time training in Saucony Kinvaras and Saucony Fasttwitch or Brooks Pure Cadence...shoes we used to consider racing flats.  If they are OK training in those shoes you'd think that even with a 2000 mile pair of traditional trainers that the cushioning wouldn't be a concern.

But if you are a new runner who's legs are still adapting, or who is heavier than most runners (say 160+?) or who has a history of injuries and/or lands on the heel...well these are the types of runners who probably do want to be concerned about their training shoes' ability to cushion their landing.  I've always thought that the 300 mile limit was silly-soon.  A bit like changing the oil on your car every 1000 miles. 

I go a full year on 2 training shoes.  But one will emerge as my favorite and get 80-90% of my training time.

2013-02-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4604353

User image

Expert
MI
jgerbodegrant - 2013-02-01 11:48 AM

Tell me about it.  The wind is just ridiculous right now.  Pouring rain and in the 30's with 60  mph gusts is not my cup of tea.  I couldn't bring myself to run in it yesterday and we had a new dishwasher that I wanted to install, so that went well.

Good news about the physical therapist.  I actually learn a lot about how my body moves and operates by going to physical therapy.  Just make sure you do what they tell you to do.

YES!  I really do!  Or else it would seem as if it's all just a waste!

2013-02-01 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Thanks for all the good luck wishes everyone!  Hopefully the IT band will not act up to bad.  I hope ya'll will not be tooooo disappointed in my performance as this will be my longest run ever.  This will not be a race for me but a run... I will be thinking of the Junkies as I run.

The temp is warming up, they first said the low would be 29, now they are saying 45 at the start.

I had planned on going out for a 2 - 3 mile run today but it was COLD so i stayed in and just did some spinning on the bike.   REally to give my legs time to heal????

Tomorrow will be a 2 mile run, then baseball from 10 - 5 with my son.

Ya'll have a GREAT weekend!

karl

2013-02-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4604115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Okay dad- this current cold is not too bad, just runny nose and mucus.  I rode 23 miles yesterday and my throat was continually dry and I did feel weak, but I managed.  I havent had this cold for too long, but I was sick w/ the flu and then sore throat before it.  I've been getting lots of sleep (hittin that nyquil) and am resting today (no workout).  I've been taking Emergency and zicam.  As for balanced diet... if you mean Chik fil a, Captain crunch, and hamburgers, then yes!  I've actually never had a good diet... but that can be discussed later. 

I was mainly wondering if jumping up to 60 miles would be over doing it since I took over a year off from biking and have only been riding half that.  But it sounds like it's doable.  I was also wondering about the hilly-ness since I cant read elevation maps and it sounds like it's not too bad.  So, I think I'm going to go for the full 60 miles. 

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

2013-02-01 3:55 PM

User image

NH

Jen and Karl, have a great race Sunday.

Will, as far as overreaching on the bike, it's more about the sickness and how that will be affected.  I'm convinced we can jump incredible amounts of bike distance - there simply isn't the pounding and adaptation requirements of running.  I have some friends who have been doing a bike camp in the spring for several years, and after doing 2-3 hours total per week all winter, they ride 500-600 miles in one week at the camp.  None has ever reported an injury.  I'm not suggesting anyone do this, just that it's possible to ramp up bike miles at levels we'd never even consider in running.

2013-02-01 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4603247

User image

NH

OK....I'm just going to send you to my album to check out my shoes.  I couldn't get the other site to work correctly.

These shoes have 327 miles of running on them.  It's a combination of treadmill, road and trail.  I only used them for running.

The pictures are very high res.  Nice view of the treadwear.  Ok, so here's the deal...there are no wear patterns that indicate ANY issues at all.  The shoes still look nearly pristine.  These are air sole shoes so there is going to be very little lost cushion, if any at all, due to the miles you have on them.

You mentioned having a stride analysis done in the past and everything check out.  From what I see here I can confirm that you run perfectly at least from a foot mechanics standpoint.

Wow.  That is an impressive looking shoe after so much running.  Jeff is the expert, but jeez, that looks as perfect as I've ever seen a strike pattern.  I wouldn't even debate changing a thing about your run mechanics.

2013-02-01 4:37 PM

User image

New York

Jen and Karl, good luck on your HM this weekend! Have fun 

And Will good luck to you too on the ride. I've sometimes felt that after powering through a long ride or tough workout, you almost get over the cold too. May be that works for you.

2013-02-01 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I count a day where I learned something new as a successful day! Today I learned that just because a 10 year old can do something doesn't mean a 36 year old can do it! Today Olivia went to the pool with me because she wanted to play, I did my laps then started splashing around with her. As I was doing this there's was a 10 year old doing laps and doing flawless flip turns! I figured if this little kid can do a flip turn then it can't be that hard, right? Well 1st attempt and I just about knocked myself out on the bottom of the pool! Literally seeing stars, anyway lesson learned
2013-02-01 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4604958

User image

Elite
far northern CA
wbayek - 2013-02-01 2:14 PM

Wow.  That is an impressive looking shoe after so much running.  Jeff is the expert, but jeez, that looks as perfect as I've ever seen a strike pattern.  I wouldn't even debate changing a thing about your run mechanics.

Thank you for looking at my shoes.  I really appreciate that Jeff looked at them so quickly and gave his opinion.  You guys are all great!

I think a combination of dislocating my ankle in December 2011, the latest Pegasus model, racing in them before I really had checked them out, and running in them on in snowy and icy conditions were the perfect storm to mess up my foot. Frown  No amount of rotating shoes could have prevented it.

Today marks week 4 of no running.  It hurts really bad about every other day now.  On painful days, I sit on my couch and crochet.  On good days, I try to do something cardio-wise.  One thing I've been adding in is strength training.  I'm getting WAY stronger!  Today, I got on the Leg Press Machine with some light weight as a test for my foot.  Tomorrow will the true test.  If I don't have any extra pain, then it's being added to my routine.  I wish I could do some deep water running.  The pool with deep water does not have child care.  I need to figure out how to get in there!

Anyway, there's my update.  Cheers!

2013-02-01 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Will....Whatever distance you end up doing, I'm sure you will have fun.  Take as many breaks as you need.  FWIW....I caught pneumonia the day after doing a metric century which I did a week after having a pretty bad flu with lots of puking.  I thought I was healed from the flu.  Apparently not.  It was HORRIBLE!  If you feel like like something is wrong, don't feel bad about calling for the SAG.  (At least three of us experienced cyclists ended up with pneumonia after that race so I might be over-reacting.  It's possible, it could have been "floating" around when we rode past the "carrier.")

Jen and Karl....have fun at your races!

2013-02-01 8:56 PM

User image

Bronze member

Good luck this weekend everyone. I'll be sending you all my positive thoughts. Nothing but feeling good and injury free for all the Junkies!

2013-02-01 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4605169

User image

Bronze member
RunningYogini - 2013-02-01 8:36 PM
wbayek - 2013-02-01 2:14 PM

Thank you for looking at my shoes.  I really appreciate that Jeff looked at them so quickly and gave his opinion.  You guys are all great!

I think a combination of dislocating my ankle in December 2011, the latest Pegasus model, racing in them before I really had checked them out, and running in them on in snowy and icy conditions were the perfect storm to mess up my foot. Frown  No amount of rotating shoes could have prevented it.

Today marks week 4 of no running.  It hurts really bad about every other day now.  On painful days, I sit on my couch and crochet.  On good days, I try to do something cardio-wise.  One thing I've been adding in is strength training.  I'm getting WAY stronger!  Today, I got on the Leg Press Machine with some light weight as a test for my foot.  Tomorrow will the true test.  If I don't have any extra pain, then it's being added to my routine.  I wish I could do some deep water running.  The pool with deep water does not have child care.  I need to figure out how to get in there!

Anyway, there's my update.  Cheers!

I should take a pic of my shoes for comparison - there is a nice wear pattern on the side of the shoe (not the sole) where one foot knocks into the other. It is not as pretty as yours .

Are you planning on seeing someone about the foot pain or treating it yourself? Fingers crossed for no pain tomorrow.

2013-02-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4605107

User image

Bronze member

mambos - 2013-02-01 7:31 PM I count a day where I learned something new as a successful day! Today I learned that just because a 10 year old can do something doesn't mean a 36 year old can do it! Today Olivia went to the pool with me because she wanted to play, I did my laps then started splashing around with her. As I was doing this there's was a 10 year old doing laps and doing flawless flip turns! I figured if this little kid can do a flip turn then it can't be that hard, right? Well 1st attempt and I just about knocked myself out on the bottom of the pool! Literally seeing stars, anyway lesson learned

Oh my, that is too funny . I am very comfortable in the water but it took me several tries to learn how to flip turn so don't feel too bad. I mean several days of going to the pool and taking 10 min of my swim time to do nothing but work on flipping. It was frustrating because I could imagine how it should look but I would come out into the wall or into the bottom of the pool. This is what lead me to a real awareness of my head position though.

2013-02-01 9:14 PM

User image

Bronze member

Same old routine for me - planning a longish ride for tomorrow and a short run. Then I've got some projects to work on around the house to get ready for company on Super Bowl Sunday. I don't even know who is playing.

Missed one of my swims this week due to a flat tire on my van and a slight bit of tummy trouble. Turns out my tire had a 5 inch metal rod inside and it tore the tire up! Actually I guess I could go to the pool tomorrow instead of ride. Hmm, what to do....

Had an appointment for the pup today. He has almost doubled his weight in the month we have had him. From 9 lbs to 17 lbs. This little guy loves to eat!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119