BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-10 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Question for the group:

Next week, the training schedule calls for an extra hour of swimming per week. I remember Jamie mentioning in a previous post about how one might substitute out a training session of one's strengths and subbing in one for a weakness. So I have been thinking about using this extra swim as an extra bike instead. My swim days fall on days with either a medium length bike or a medium length run. If I were to choose the day with the bike should I keep it a separate workout entirely or append it to the already existing bike workout? Or should I choose one of the days it would fall on a run day and have it a separate bike workout there? Third option is it not sub out the swim workout at all and maintain the 3 swims per week.
Thanks for any help!

2013-03-10 6:20 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Dacuna--hope the shoulder is OK. It sounds like you had a great week with your boys. I am starting to plan an out West ski trip for next year and would like to coordinate it with a conference like you did.

D3--Nice work on the tri. Way to start off the season.

I have added a little bit to my race schedule for 2013. It looks like five tris and two half marathons. I wouldn't be surprised if I found one or two more events to do but we will see. The only bad part is that my first tri is a 70.3. I would like to have a short race to knock the rust off first but can't find anything that fits well.
2013-03-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4654028

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
d3term1ned - 2013-03-10 7:07 PM

I believe this came up before but I wanted to bring it up again. Wetsuits! I will have to buy a wetsuit here pretty soon but I am lost in the huge selection of wetsuits out there. Does anyone have a good website for some wetsuit research? What are you using? What should I look for? Thanks for the help. 

Here is a BT article on wetsuits:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

a couple years old but it goes over some of the important stuff.

Here is another site with some good reviews:

http://trigearreviews.wordpress.com/tag/triathlon-wetsuits/

I am not an expert by any means. My one piece of advice is to buy it tight. My first wetsuit was huge on me. Well, not actually; my first wetsuit probably fit OK but it felt too tight so I sent it back for a bigger size. I used it for two seasons before I realized how huge it was. I got a smaller suit that I have worn for the last two seasons and thought it was pretty perfect but now I have decided that it is also a bit too large. I now have my third wetsuit. It makes me sweat trying to get it on. It is a struggle. I think it is going to be perfect

A lot of people swear by the Xterra wetsuits and they are essentially always 50% off if you want to take a look at them.
2013-03-10 6:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm sick.  It was inevitable with all the craziness over the last month.  But I slept pretty much from Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon and I think I'm on the mend.   I was on track to do a 5k next Sunday but I think I'll skip it now.  I haven't done a thing since Wednesday

Michael great on the tri!

So I've been swimming with the Gale Bernhardt program that you set me up with and my t pace has been improving - keep in mind before last August, I haven't really swam (swam?  swum?  did swim?) since  was a kid.

January 2nd 2:25
January 22 1:56
March 5 1:52

I'm psyched that I'm showing improvement
off to get ready for the work week.  Gotta hang in there fr 5 more weeks from tomorrow.......

2013-03-10 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4654057

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

A lot of people swear by the Xterra wetsuits and they are essentially always 50% off if you want to take a look at them.

I need a wetsuit too and this has been recommended to me by a few people.  For a first suit they say it's perfect.

2013-03-10 7:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael/d3-I went with an Xterra sleeveless for my first wetsuit. Just recently got a Desoto. The Xterra was good and reasonably priced. No complaints. Only reason I got the Desoto was I felt I needed a full sleeved suit for some of my races this year. 

Anyone that is about to swim or race for the first time in a wetsuit. TRY IT OUT BEFORE RACE DAY. Wetsuits are great as they make us faster by improving body position. BUT, they can feel very restrictive and that combined with the unfamiliarity of an open water swim can cause some people to hyperventilate and/or panic. Practicing in open water would be best but at a minimum try it our in the pool.

2013-03-10 7:57 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dave-sounds like a great trip. Hope the shoulder isn't anything major.

Randee-nice work on the swim improvement. Hope you feel better....busy time of year for you.

Mary-I don't like riding in the wind either. Good work keep it up.

Nate-tough question. If you are currently swimming 3X week and given that is a strength for you I might consider adding or adding to a workout. If you are currently doing 2X week I would add the 3rd swim. If you add a workout or add to a workout I would try to do so in such a way that it does not adversely affect your ability to complete the next days workout/s.  I would also be careful about adding much in terms of intensity with the additional workout.  I can see adding an extra 30-45 minute really EASY run helping....probably more so than an easy spin on the bike.  

2013-03-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4654164

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Currently I'm only doing 2x a week swimming. So I should go ahead and follow the plan and do 3x from your recommendation. Well there goes my excuse to eliminate a swim workout! :D. Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and get my swim bag ready for the morning!
2013-03-10 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4654193

User image

Master
South Alabama

leechj - 2013-03-10 8:20 PM Currently I'm only doing 2x a week swimming. So I should go ahead and follow the plan and do 3x from your recommendation. Well there goes my excuse to eliminate a swim workout! :D. Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and get my swim bag ready for the morning!

Yeah, I'm always ready to drop a swim. I think there are gains to be made by swimming 3x week as compared to more maintenance with 2x. Maybe you could do 5 workouts every 2 weeks...split the difference

2013-03-11 6:18 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning! Up early to get an easy spin done on the bike. Now I'm on the road until late afternoon. Short easy run planned for this afternoon. Looks like its going to be a rainy day here.....daughter has a soccer game tonight so hopefully the rain will be gone by then.  Tough to get up this morning with time change but love the extra daylight in the evening.
2013-03-11 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Good Morning. Everyone ready for the week? We're off for Spring Break. We're staying in town as hubby is still recovering from his rotator cuff surgery. I'm kind of sad today. (Back door brag) officially turned down my spot on Team USA for the Long Course Championships in Belfort, France. My ITBS is still cranky. Things are okay but my mood is a bit depressed. I can't really complain given all that my husband is going through as he never complains. So my wonderful Tri friends get to hear it instead.

2013-03-11 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

And, I'm back! Nate was kind enough to pick me up from the airport yesterday (thanks again), and I was able to get home and get on the trainer for my three hour ride, which was actually easier than I thought it would be. I just put on the basketball game and pedaled the hours away.

I'm a little daunted now, because this week starts the 2nd phase of my training plan. Every run includes some tempo work, and I add a 3rd swim, while also increasing the workout distance from 2,500m to 3,000. Luckily, I feel like my body had adjusted pretty well to the workouts I'd been doing, I just have to re-adjust a little!

Nate, I like Randy's idea about doing 5 swims every two weeks; that seems like a good compromise.

Also, as far as wetsuits go, I have the full sleeve XTerra and it works really well. It rubs my neck really badly, but, otherwise, it's pretty comfortable.

2013-03-11 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Thanks for all the wetsuit advise. I have two different Tri Shops in the DFW area that let you try the wetsuit in their endless pools before buying it.

I might actually rent one of their wetsuits and if I buy it within four weeks the rental fee is applied towards the purchase price.  The first shop has Orca, TYR and 2XU suits and the other shop has 2XU, Desoto and BlueSeventy suits. 

Starting in April we will have Open Water swimming practices. With the water being still a little cold :-) I decided to get a wetsuit now instead of waiting until closer to Ironman 70.3 Austin. 

2013-03-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4654745

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I hate to steer you to another site but there are several very gently used wetsuits for sale right now on the ST classified forum. You can't try them on but if you can find what you want you can get a heckuva deal.
2013-03-11 2:45 PM

User image

Master
You can also call Tri Sports and talk to one of the wetsuit sales persons. They can give you a good idea of which wetsuit brands would fit the best with your body type, height and weight. My Blue Seventy wetsuit is actually a male wetsuit. I'm tall and built more like a thin guy than a curvy female. I also have a Desoto Bib John with a sleeveless and sleeved top. Living in Texas we re only able to wear wetsuits til May or when racing out of state. The different pieces makes it nice to have options depending on water temps.
2013-03-11 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jason - I have looked on the ST forum but it seems all the people there are skinny guys ... :-)

Rene - I might have to check that out ... thanks! My first open water race is in the beginning of May. Its the Texasman Olympic distance and the water last year was pretty cold ... I rather swim that one with a wetsuit this time and I want to be able to do plenty of OWS sessions beforehand.  You know the lake since you have done the Disco before and its the exact same race. I also heard that the lake in Austin where the Ironman is held is pretty cold at the end of October .....

2013-03-11 7:05 PM

User image

New user
I had a really great swim workout today.

I did 2 x 50, 2 x 100, 2 x 150, 2 x 200 then 100 cool down.
1,100!

I would not have believed I could swim that far in one workout even a month ago. I have had about six lessons and they have obviously helped! Seeing improvements feels Really good!
2013-03-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4655795

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-Fantastic! Thats huge. Keep it up.

Got my workouts done and made it to daughter's soccer game. Tomorrow is swim and bike. 

2013-03-12 8:45 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chunga - 2013-03-11 8:05 PM

I had a really great swim workout today.

1,100!

I would not have believed I could swim that far in one workout even a month ago. I have had about six lessons and they have obviously helped! Seeing improvements feels Really good!

Amazing improvement. I am really impressed. You are likely on the very steep part of the improvement curve; where everything you do in the pool is going to result in huge time gains.

Congratulations!
2013-03-12 9:18 AM

User image

New user
Thank you Jason and Randy!Nice to see distance improvements, time improvements will be awesome too once they come! Some days I dread the difficulty of the pool but that wasn't one of those days!
2013-03-12 9:45 AM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

Good job Mary! I struggle with the swim, too. It seems no matter how hard I push it or how long I swim, my times just don't seem to drop. But I am able to swim farther distances. I know, from my running experience, that a breakthrough is coming. It will be so nice. I'm glad for you.

Speaking of swimming, I still can't rotate my left arm from my snowboarding injury, so the crawl stroke is out for now. I was able to do a weak breast stroke today. I can't fully extend my left arm for a streamlined profile when I push off the wall. I stopped after 800 yards when my shoulder began to ache. It's going to be a slow recovery. I followed this up with an hour trainer ride that actually felt good. My plan is to keep pushing hard with the bike and run segments and try to slowly catch up on my swimming when I'm able.

2013-03-12 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Early morning swim workout completed. Still tired from the race on Sunday. I also went to the chiropractor this morning and he had me sweating like crazy ... quads, hamstrings, quads ... I still have a run workout today which is going to hurt. 

Mary - Good job on the swim ... love seeing improvements ... 

What else is everyone up to?

2013-03-12 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Chunga - 2013-03-11 8:05 PM I had a really great swim workout today.

1,100!

Mary, great job! There's nothing better than seeing improvement in what you can get done. I was having the normal, "How much do you exercise?" conversation with someone this weekend; it always comes up when they hear I do triathlons. I told them what I do, and they asked me how in shape I was to begin with. I told them that I *thought* I was in good shape, I'd done a half-marathon and was running regularly, but I found my limits pretty quick in the pool. The first workout was 10 minutes, with breaks each lap! I count any swim progress as a win!

Speaking of swimming, I started my new swimming routine this morning: 3,000m workouts, three days/week. I was actually surprised at how good I felt this morning, especially after getting up at 4:35, but I'll see how those same muscles & joints feel this Thursday and Friday! 1 hour run tonight, and my Tuesday is over.

2013-03-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4654479

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Catwoman - 2013-03-11 6:50 AM Good Morning. Everyone ready for the week? We're off for Spring Break. We're staying in town as hubby is still recovering from his rotator cuff surgery. I'm kind of sad today. (Back door brag) officially turned down my spot on Team USA for the Long Course Championships in Belfort, France. My ITBS is still cranky. Things are okay but my mood is a bit depressed. I can't really complain given all that my husband is going through as he never complains. So my wonderful Tri friends get to hear it instead.

Sorry  hope you're feeling better today

Mary, awesome job!  Just like Dori says "just keep swimming!"

As for me, I think the snot is all finally draining out of my body.  My nose looks like rudolph but I can breathe and I actually went to the gym this am.  I did 2 treadmill miles.  Actually felt pretty easy.  I guess sometimes taking 6 days off isn't a bad idea  I have PT tomorrow.  My lower leg gets achy after workouts and PT.  They say that's normal.  I just have to get to 5k distance!!

Oh on an unrelated note, there is a Sandy Hook benefit 5k on the 23rd (I can't go) but it's worth mentioning that this event is nearly sold out at 15,000 runners - FOR a 5K!!!  CRAZY!  They are expecting 65,000 people in the "city" of Hartford that day between family, friends, spectators etc.  That's insane for our little state!  

2013-03-12 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Mary, congratulations on the swim distances! That is a huge amount of distance to have added in such a short time. Good things are in your future!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66