Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-08-05 6:01 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Good luck Mike! No, no race for me this weekend.

2023-08-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Sweeeeeden!
Sorry Mike! (not sorry)
2023-08-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: #5286384

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’/45’ ride/run brick today. Both felt good. I was laughing half way through when I realized I was thinking about a 2:15 session as a “short and easy” day. A few years ago no way do I think of 2:15 as short or easy.
2023-08-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

90’/45’ ride/run brick today. Both felt good. I was laughing half way through when I realized I was thinking about a 2:15 session as a “short and easy” day. A few years ago no way do I think of 2:15 as short or easy.

Yes, it’s funny how our perspective change as we get better, train longer.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-06 3:37 PM
2023-08-06 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sweeeeeden! Sorry Mike! (not sorry)

Ugh...that was a harbinger of things to come for my day. 

Disaster of a race today.  RR to come tomorrow but blech. 

2023-08-06 3:38 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sweeeeeden! Sorry Mike! (not sorry)

Ugh...that was a harbinger of things to come for my day. 

Disaster of a race today.  RR to come tomorrow but blech. 

Oh no, sorry to hear that! Bleh is not good!

2023-08-06 6:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Well at least you're going to have something to keep you occupied with for the rest of the year. Back to back halfs is going to be a challenge though.

Maybe you shouldn't be left alone with a credit card. But there are way worse things people blow money on than races. At least you're having adventures and doing something positive for yourself

@Nathalie. Go Sweden! No skin in the game for me, but we all love an upset. (Sorry Americans)

@Mike, Sorry that you think your day was a disaster. Whatever the issues were, I'm sure you can learn from it and move on to better results next time. You've been training so well, do you have any other races you can do this season to get a result your happy with?

@ME.

Week 1, albeit highly modified is in the books. Did 6 hours of bike and running. Which is less than planned but happy with it as I step back into solid work after a terrible July.

Highlight of the week was on Saturday Mr 6 and I went in to the beach for a run. He rode his bike, I ran beside/behind. It's the first time he's done a long ride like that and did way better than I expected, about 50 minutes riding for the little guy. With some playground stops on the way of course. Admittedly not as good as a proper interval training run, but very happy that he's old enough he can do this now. Hopefully more to come.

(avm7B5MqHeqYFnnlISOka-4LsfyLGylpuFRw0Lp9PzU-1536x2048.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
avm7B5MqHeqYFnnlISOka-4LsfyLGylpuFRw0Lp9PzU-1536x2048.jpg (415KB - 7 downloads)
2023-08-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great that you can start taking your kids with you (at least one of them to start with) on your runs. You don't have to choose between taking care of/spending some time with them and training.

Then in a few years you can race together, just like Mike and his daughter!

2023-08-07 8:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike-sorry to hear your race didn't go as you'd liked!

@Andrew-cool to see you out and about with the kiddo. Is he a good pacer (other than the playground stops?)

For me...just 1800yds in the pool today. Was a nice, but very fast, swim this morning with a lot of threshold efforts. Also spent a bit of time booking hotels for the multitude of races I signed up for last week. Had to book an hour out from the gravel tri--it is in the sticks!
2023-08-07 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
2023-08-07 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  that is so cool he's able to do that with you now - it only gets better...well until he starts beating you  ; as for another race, nothing probably this year but it is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth so maybe something in the fall

@Gretchen - yes the whole "I'm just doing an easy 2 hour workout today" sounds insane to most people

@Nathalie - good luck to you Swedes going forward, your keeper was awesome yesterday

2023-08-07 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew-cool to see you out and about with the kiddo. Is he a good pacer (other than the playground stops?)

Considering it was his first time doing a 'long' ride like that he did really well. Once he got a bit of confidence he was keeping a good pace for me to run too. I actually ran a segment PB on strava trying to keep up with him during the 2nd half of the run. So surprisingly rapid.
2023-08-07 5:06 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. An hour away sucks. Hopefully your wife can come to that one and sherpa you home. I've never done one but I'm pretty sure that after a gravel 70.3 your going to be in a world of hurt. Driving yourself for an hour is not ideal.

@Mike. Sorry about your race. I really do think if you can find a sprint, or a ride or something to do so you can hit the off season feeling happy about things. Having a sh*ty race do dwell on sucks.

I've done plenty of races where it hasn't gone to plan, and i've checked out by the run. It sucks. No advice, just you're not alone.

Started week 2 with a 60 min zwift ride. 4x6' Cruise intervals. I haven't done a lot of Z3 stuff like that in recent times so was pleasantly surprised how I managed. 60 min treadmill run with some anaerobic intervals planned for tonight.
2023-08-08 12:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

RR is up for your "enjoyment". 

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=559572&posts=1#M5286398

TL:DR version:  don't race angry

Thanks for the long report. I did enjoy reading it, even though this is not what I wanted to read about.
Looks like pretty much everything that could get in your way got in your way on the swim and bike (literally) and you were not able to recover after going too hard on the bike to make up time.

I too think you should find another race this season, you can’t end like this.

Our practice sprint was cancelled last night, only one other turned up and he didn’t want to play. The reason? Rain! I thought triathletes were supposed to be tough guys….
I am not talking about thunder, not even strong winds which would make the swim and bike dangerous. Only plain rain (quite a lot of it but still).
By the time I came home it had even stopped so I did a 26k/3k brick instead.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-08 1:07 AM
2023-08-08 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.  I had debated whether to wait another day before writing that but I wanted to make sure I captured how I felt afterwards...that's really the first disaster of a race I've ever had.  Well, my 2014 half marathon was a spectacular flame-out but I crushed the first 10 miles at least.  This was a mess before, during, and probably a little after.  Oh, well - onward, right?

I was debating doing the local one here the first weekend of October so maybe we'll give that a go (it's a sprint where I do my OWS practice, and it will DEFINITELY be wetsuit legal).  I'm going to take these two weeks (second one is in Cancun ) and we'll see how I feel.  I'm going to get in a couple of runs next week with my daughter, as she is now training for said half marathon in mid-October.

On a fun note, The Daughter and I went to see John Oliver do stand-up last night in Baltimore and got more than a few great laughs out of us, which we both needed. 

OK, enough about me...

@Andrew:  I think you're going to crush your training plan now that you're out of the sickness malaise; and that pic is incredible - you live in such a beautiful part of the world that no one sees because it is So. Far. Away. From. Anywhere.

@Gretchen:  I've never had to do a full hour from the closest hotel but 35-45 minutes hasn't been out of the question; tough part is always the logistics, right?  Continue your taper madness!

@Nathalie:  I'd bail on a rainy practice too LOL, though there is a school of thought to push through bad conditions training which will set you up mentally for conditions on race day

@Nicole:  are you doing the Baltimore Tri? 

@Jenn:  we haven't forgotten about you and I've seen you a bit on Strava; hope you're doing OK

@Jay/Helen:  you two still out there??

2023-08-08 10:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--oof man, sorry to read about that race. There is so much stuff there that sounds just a little annoying, and then you add it all up and it gets a bit overwhelming. I can relate to so many of these things--been kicked in the face during multiple races (once broke my nose and came out of the water streaming blood and left eye swelling shut), ran into a racer on the bike at my super sprint in May because he 1.) wouldn't move to the right and 2.) when I yelled passing on your right, hold your line he moved to the right (fortunately, I didn't fall and I don't *think* he did either), etc. Racing is always a bit of a crapshoot in terms of whether the little things get to you, probably if you'd slept better, it would have been better. I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and suggest another race to keep you from having to chew on this one all winter.

@Nat--everyone bailed for some rain?!?!?! Wimps!! Racing in the horrible weather makes the best stories! I did a tri once in 43F (6C)--the bike was MISERABLE, being wet and all that. Or...once did a HIM Aquabike in a hailstorm with 35mph wind gusts that blew me into traffic.

I thought I had avoided the taper random aches, but this morning my hips have decided they don't want to work properly. I only did a 40' run and a 60' ride this morning before sitting down for my 90' Arabic lesson. When I got up to get more water after the lesson, I made a little involuntary old person noise and hobbled down the stairs. I guess I need to do a bit of stretching or something today. Beginning to refine the race packing list and racing plan a bit. We leave out of here on Thursday morning.

2023-08-08 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
60 minutes on the treadmill last night. with 4x2.5' Z4 intervals.
My Stryd footpod under reads on satans sidewalk, and I'm pretty sure the treadmill itself is over reading pace. So no confidence at all I was in the right pace zones. Haha. Oh well, it was at least 4 x2.5' intervals 'harder than the rest'... that's kind of right.

20 minutes in the pool this morning (was supposed to be 30, but a bit late getting out the door) 750m and plenty of rest. I've got a lot of work to do to get my swim back to where it was. Aiming to be in the water at least twice a week going forwards.

@Nathalie. Well there's no need to train in the rain because it's a scientific fact that it never rains on race day. Right? Umm... Uh oh.

@Mike. Thanks, Crushing the plan is definitely the goal. Just have to hope the short people in the house don't bring home many more plagues. At least spring is nearly here. Should be past the worst of it.

I like the fact you're already looking at a sprint tri in October. The fact you're looking at it and mentioning it now... you're going to do it. And crush it.

@Gretchen. Taper sucks doesn't it. There's nothing like hobbling up and down stairs to make you feel ready for an Ironman. You've been here before though. You've done the work, it'll be right on the day. Hate the mind games your body plays with you though.
2023-08-09 3:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
@Nat--everyone bailed for some rain?!?!?! Wimps!! Racing in the horrible weather makes the best stories! I did a tri once in 43F (6C)--the bike was MISERABLE, being wet and all that. Or...once did a HIM Aquabike in a hailstorm with 35mph wind gusts that blew me into traffic.

@Nathalie:  I'd bail on a rainy practice too LOL, though there is a school of thought to push through bad conditions training which will set you up mentally for conditions on race day

Originally posted by bulfrog
@Nathalie. Well there's no need to train in the rain because it's a scientific fact that it never rains on race day. Right? Umm... Uh oh.

I was up for it, it was only rain but yesterday even I bailed out of swim training, too windy, too wavy, didn't fancy drowning. So I zwifted instead.

Tonight is run intervals. The weather is still really sh!tty but I am sure many will be there

Enjoy Taper Gretchen! I always feel like I am getting sick before a race

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-09 4:31 AM
2023-08-09 12:25 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 1800yd swim this morning at masters, followed later by a 45' bike ride (into a headwind). The road commissioner also saw fit to spread fresh gravel on my normal route, which is paved, so that was a bit of fun. Slower than usual due to the gravel, but still a nice ride, nonetheless. Washed my bike and oiled up the chain--if I have to suffer hills, at least my bike will look good doing it!
2023-08-10 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Safe travels and give 'em hell this weekend, Gretchen!!

I finally felt up to doing something yesterday and did a really easy spin on the bike and a ton of yoga and stretching to get the soreness out, and today was a repeat (a little harder on the bike) and some light strength work.  Almost back to normal. 

2023-08-10 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Week is ticking along nicely

Wednesday evening I got my planned 60 minute Z2 zwift ride, and Thursday was a light day, only 30 minutes Z1-2 zwift ride. During those rides I watched the Mark Cavendish documentary on Netflix. Highly recommend if anyone is looking for a trainer/treadmill distraction.

Speaking of Netflix, its a bit old, but Mrs Bullfrog and watched the tour de france unchained series on Netflix recently. My non sporting interest wife now wants to watch next years tour. Again highly recommend.

Swam this morning, and will run tonight on the treadmill.
Saturday is a short/easy run and a 2 hour ride.
Sunday travelling for work again, so will be a day off training. But a long day on my feet commissioning some machinery.

Have a good weekend guys.

2023-08-10 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Safe travels and give 'em hell this weekend, Gretchen!!

Yup, good luck for the weekend. You've trained so well for this, you're going to smash it.

Is there any athlete tracking we can follow you on?

Look forward to reading about your success.
2023-08-11 1:06 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the Netflix tips Andrew, I’ve been watching music documentaries recently while spinning (George Michael and Tina Turner).

Yeah Gretchen, go get them!!! I’d also like to track you if possible.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-11 9:29 AM
2023-08-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Made it to Michigan yesterday evening around 8pm. Slept well, hotel is nice. Drove the bike and run courses this morning and did a little sight seeing this afternoon (yarn stores for my wife). Now I’m in the hotel resting and hydrating before tomorrow’s activities (practice swim, packet pickup and bike drop off). Pretty chill day.

Thanks for all the good wishes!! You should be able to track me here:
https://track.rtrt.me/e/SS-MICHIGANTITANIUM23#/tracker/RBK2U6DV/focu...

Last year it didn’t work so well. Apparently it showed me not moving at all on the bike for 45’. My mom called my wife to see if I’d had a crash. Nope…just pretty slow Ip those hills! :D
2023-08-12 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Glad you're getting good vibes so far, Gretchen.  How's the weather?

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland