BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-07-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2305349

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
Hi guys! Just a quick drive-by ... I've been reading with great interest, just not posting as I don't really feel I have anything constructive to say. I've been a bit down on myself lately - struggling with some life issues ... didn't want to pass my negativity on.

I am spending this weekend super-duper cleaning my house and tidying up my yard. That'll give me the space and mentality to clean up and organize the rest of my life. But first - I must watch Kona on tv today at 11 ... that'll give me the motivation to keep going to the gym! lol.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2009-07-26 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2307432

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Happy Sunday everyone! To anyone racing this weekend - let us know immediately how you did!

Having the house clean and the yard slightly less overgrown is helping me with clarity in my life. It always does. Now here's to keeping it shiny clean! (both the house and my life) ;-)

I've finally accepted that this season is a non-starter for me, and that the half-marathon I was hoping to rock in October is now an I-just-want-to-finish. At this point my race plan is to run 1 km, walk 1 km, as far as I can, and hopefully that will take me to the finish line. If not, I'll run 1/walk 1 as far as I can, and walk the rest. I've revised my time goal from 2:20 to 3:00 ... Damm it - it was my "A" race. ;-(

But now I've set my sights on the Mardi Gras Rock'n'Roll Marathon in New Orleans in February (I'm SO excited about that!). I've got 7 months to train, so slow and steady should get me there respectably. ;-)

I've also come up with a loose race plan for 2010 - including a HIM in September 2010 as my "A" race. If I start training for that in January, and seriously training after the NOLA marathon, that gives me 9 months to get ready. My dream when I started triathlon in 2006 was to do a full Ironman for my 35th b-day (which is Aug 2010) .. but I'll be quite content with a full marathon and a HIM. I'm really gonna need you guys next year!

I don't think it's too early to plan these things - too early to look ahead, have goals. I'm a planner! I love putting pencil to paper and mapping it all out. Or maybe I'm just bored on this Sunday morning.
2009-07-26 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2069346

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-26 5:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

I woke up this morning and my wife asked if I wanted to go for a walk. We got about 1/4 mile from the house and it started raining so we ran home. My ribs didn't feel too bad but I felt the jarring in my shoulder.

I've been looking at new bikes, trying to decide what to get. I'm leaning towards the Cervelo P2. I loved the P2SL I had before the accident. I drove to Cadence in Philly this afternoon to check them out and ended up taking one for a test ride. Since this was my first time back on a bike in two weeks I wasn't really comfortable in traffic but I did o.k. I could tell that the full carbon frame was definately nice.

Bill - Nice job on your race! It's cool that you different ways to challenge yourself (single speed bike). Just another reminder that race time/place don't always tell the whole story.

Have a great week everybody!

Art
2009-07-27 6:46 AM

Veteran
Thibodaux

Good Morning Manatees!

Art, I'm really sorry your HIM is out. But there's always next year. Sounds like you're itching to get back into training. Take it easy. Good luck finding a new bike. That's so exciting!

Bill, great race! A single speed? I never would have thought to even try that. But you did great and you even made it to church.

TR, wanna come down here and help me with my house & yard? You're welcome anytime. Way to plan for next year. It's always good to have some goals. I'm looking forward to MGM, too. It'll be great to meet you!

I'm getting ready to go to Maine with T to visit friends. We leave tomorrow and will return on Saturday. It'll be nice to get away from the heat and humidity for a few days. Hopefully, we'll get in some good hiking and biking while we're there. I know we'll eat lots of lobster!

Have a great week, Manatees!

2009-07-27 9:12 AM

Melon Presser
Art, you rock the house. Sorry too about the HIM, the money/deferral thing, and I'm sad too that you don't get to do it, but you are doing the right #1 training thing--healing when you need to! You gave me a laugh about the P2, you're a bit down but certainly not out and keeping the dream alive

If you guys want inspiration, enthusiasm and cheer, definitely read Bill's cycling race report

Cathy, great to hear from you--your grace, dignity and resolve in keeping up good spirits despite moving through difficult times is a HUGE encouragement to me.

ALL of you are such joy to me ... thank you for letting me be a part of your lives and journey.

Just got back from an hour's brick at the gym and I do feel good.

2009-07-27 11:44 AM

Master
Vista, CA

Hi Manatees -- I've been reading, not posting so much. Mentally focusing on my first ever HIM, which happens August 1st, this coming Saturday. OMG! Any and all advice and guidance for this last week leading up is appreciated. We're leaving early, early Thursday morning and it's about an 8 hour drive to Northern Ca. from here. Going up with my coach/friend and another friend and then DH and son are coming up day before race.

Unfortunately, doesn't look like I'll be able to meet Sharie when she's in SD between her schedule and mine, just won't work this time.

Bill -- posted on your RR, but you the man, fo' sur'

TR--Great goals. I work better with a plan, too. Hope business is going well for you.

Art -- Wow. That's a big step getting back on a bike in traffic. You're courageous and keep us posted on the bike shopping.

My cycling group had a meet and greet with Ellsworth bikes on Saturday after a ride through the  rolling foothills and some bigger hills. He designs some pretty amazing bikes and they're coming on board as a Velo Bella sponsor. He's got a great green philosophy, too -- used solar panels and is installing a wind turbine -- my kind of tree hugger.

I've got fairly light workouts this week but wanted to check in and not be too MIA. Hope ya'll have a great day.

Yanti -- You continue to amaze and delight! Hugs to you and our other fearless Queen, Beth and all the 'tees.

2009-07-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2310192

2009-07-28 5:34 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
I just dropped in to say .. heat waves suck.

That is all.

I'll be back when the weather breaks (a week, maybe, they are saying) and I can once again think, move, and function.
2009-07-28 7:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I got a short run in last night and felt pretty good overall. I'm taking tonight off and will try another one tomorrow. Just being able to do anything aerobic is a big step in the right direction.

Art
2009-07-29 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2313743

2009-07-29 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2313929

2009-07-29 10:47 AM

Cathy_ You are def. in my thoughts and prayers. Infidelity is kind of a "death" in the family and takes as much , if not more, time to grieve and be angry and all the stages of grief. What a strong woman you are.

Sharie_ I envy your ranching life. The city I live in is wonderful (just ranked #1 by some outdoorsy magazine) but I've always dreamed of living far far from everyone else and own horses, cows, chockens, tons of dogs etc. BTW they rolled my Tri for the Cure registartion to 2010....maybe you might be doing it and we can meet up??

Bill_I'm off to read your RR now.

Art_ Still sending you healing wishes and btw, I'm getting fat right along with you on the couch.

Well....I had my surgery last Fri. Good news is...no ligament damage. I had some crazy flaps of cartilage worn away and flapping around which was causing slippage, catching, instability. Bad news, my dr decided to do microfracture surgery to make new cartilage. That part is good, but because the success depends on being still....I'm still a no go for working out for about 6 months. The bad part is....you feel good, so it is even harder justifying sitting on the duff for half a yr! Ah well, that's the life of a runner I guess. Start peaking and wham, injury. Rinse and repeat.

Lauren

2009-07-29 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2314953

2009-07-29 2:07 PM

Master
Vista, CA

Ditto on what Bill said Lauren! I wish you complete and fast healing! And, own next year, for sure. :-)

Hope things cool off for you up there in the NW, TR.

Bill, I think I need you to come out and give my tri bike riding lessons. Maybe it just takes more time in the saddle. I've been focusing on my roadie for my race so haven't had a lot of time to put toward feeling more comfortable on it. It does look pretty in my garage though.

Hello everyone else and good luck if you're racing, participating this weekend. I'll get a race report up next week after Sat's race. I'm taking my time up in NorCal and driving backk down the coast with my son. Planning to stop at Monterey Aquarium and Big Sur.

Have a great week, everyone!

Lynn

2009-07-29 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2315542

2009-07-29 4:20 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Hey!  I am back from the beach!   It was wonderful but far to short!    I didn't get much training in...went for a 3.5m run one day on the boardwalk - breathing is easier at sea level! - but my mom was scowling that I was "training" while on vacation! LOL  I rode a cruiser bike on the boardwalk a few times (7 miles one day) but it was far from a workout.  I think I gained a few pounds, too.   And then, I was trying to show up the kids on a wake board and hit the sand HARD!  OUCH!   I took off skin and have a bruise about 4" in diameter.   Had to lay off running for a few days.

Lynn - sorry we didn't get to meet up.  Maybe November will work when I come with dh??  Good luck this weekend...how exciting to be meeting a goal!   I love the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur area.   I dated a guy from there a long, long time ago, but I will never forget waking up and being able to see whales spouting off the coast from my bedroom window.    Oh, btw, there were a lot of dolphins hanging around just off the beach 2 different mornings.  My kids were thrilled to see them.

Art - keep healing!   Glad to hear you are moving around a bit more

Bill - great RR!   You are my bike hero!

TR - try to stay cool.   It was 100+ when we left here, but last night after landing we were looking for a heater in the car!  And...it doesn't work right now!   I have had a sweatshirt and sweats on all day today.   I think your goal setting is awesome.  I am horrible at setting goals and sticking to them.   I can't even seem to figure out how to plan meals for the family.   I get the "eye rolling" thing all the time because I fly by the seat of my pants far too much!

Yanti - you are in my prayers!  Sounds like a challenging spot you are in right now.   I still plan to call you one of these days!

Beth - glad to hear of your good doctor's appt.  

Lauren - how nice that they rolled your fees over to 2010.   I am definitely considering doing that one next year.  I wanted to go watch this year but it didn't work out.     I just am so unsure of the ows!   My last attempt left me thinking that I should never enter a tri without a pool option.   Sorry to hear about the more extensive surgery but in the end it will be a good thing.   Have to agree with Bill about the upper body work! 

Well....back at it!
Sharie
2009-07-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2315542

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Lynn,

Hopefully it will be a bit cooler up this way for you!  The over 100's really stink!!  I saw that it was 95 by 11 when they were running a couple of weekends ago.  I will say a prayer that no trees fall this weekend!!!!!

How awful was that...do all that training, make it through the swim and have a tree fall on you on the bike....that would be my luck!

Carole
2009-07-31 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

Just checking in quick before I start packing for the beach for my long weekend/short vacation through the middle of next week. The combination of work and family stuff kept me from doing anything substantial this week but I did buy a new bike! Cervelo P2C I got fit yesterday and did 2 miles last night when I got home just to get a feel for it. I didn't think a bike fit would make that much difference but changed my mind after finding out how the changes they made impacted my comfort in different riding positions. I'll put some pictures up as soon as I can.

The time off will let me get some relaxed workouts in. I'm doing o.k. but pain in my ribs and shoulder are still there. I've decided not to pay any more attention to it than I have to. I'll be aware if it gets worse but won't constantly monitor it with every move if that makes sense.

Enjoy your weekend!

Art
2009-07-31 10:49 PM

Master
Vista, CA

Hey all -- Thanks for all your inspires and well-wishes. Got onto my DH's laptop for a few minutes. Tomorrow is the big day for me (and hundreds of others). I'm getting ready for bed and just wanted to check in with my pod. I sure appreciate all the support on here. Have a wonderful weekend and I'll get a RR up sometime next week probably, because DH will be leaving and taking his laptop with him. All right -- I'm ready.

Thanks again for all your Manatee hearts.

2009-08-01 6:05 PM

Master
Utah

Hi guys. I am exhausted. We started the week off with a crazy weekend of fun with the kids, then we bought/brought home a new travel trailer, then my son went back to school (2nd grade! Ack!), hubby went out of town for the week, and THEN we decided to start construction on the unfinished part of our basement. Oh, and the contractor started work the day I signed the papers. *whew*. Lots of people in and out of the house every day. Got in a nice brick today. Well, nice except for the multiple muscle cramps I kept getting. I cut my bike short (which meant I missed out on the big hill... not too bummed about that part, though), but did the entire run I had planned.  

Any ideas on how I can avoid the muscle cramps? It wasn't too hot out (in the 80's by the time we ran), I was well hydrated, but tired. And I had cramps in my thighs on the bike, and in my feet when running (but the thighs felt fine by then).  

2009-08-02 11:24 AM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Hi Manatees!

I'm back from my vacation, I had a WONDERFUL time!  Looks like you guys have been busy, I'll get caught up as soon as I can.

I hope everyone is doing well

2009-08-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2322239

Master
Victoria, BC
Happy Monday everyone! It's a holiday here (BC Day) so I'm just hanging around ... I have gotten a lot of yard work and home improvement stuff done this weekend, and today I shall continue.

The "heat storm" has broken - it's still hot, but the humidex has dropped and the wind has returned - that wind off the ocean, although it's more a breeze, really helps cool things off. We now hover around 75/80 every day, with beautiful sunny skies and not a single cloud. And it cools off at night, so I can sleep. This is my type of ideal perfect weather. ;-)

Hope everyone had a great weekend - and for those who raced I'm anxiously awaiting race reports!
2009-08-03 11:33 AM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
We had an absolutely beautiful day here yesterday.  Clear and in the mid 80s which is BIZARRE for August in Nor Cal.  I went for a ride yesterday, did my race distance for the first time ever.  Still working the bugs out but felt pretty good.  I learned one thing....need more calories prior to and probably somewhere around half way....wasn't going terribly fast, took an hour and 1/2 for the 20 miles.  But I was STARVING about 30 mins after I was done.  But at least now I know I can do the whole distance...woohoooo!

Hope everyone else has a great day!
2009-08-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2314388

Master
Victoria, BC
OK guys - I need help. I posted this in Triathlon Talk but I'll cut and paste here. You know how much I love my dog ... so please help me find a solution to this! Here's my post:

Ok .. so my dog is one of those dogs that hates bikes. I mean HATES bikes. He's old, there's no training it out of him. He goes ape-crazy. And he's an 80-pound Shepherd.

For a while I've wanted to bring my bike and trainer indoors so I spin at night in front of the tv, between actual training sessions. But I've always been a bit scared with the dog. This weekend I decided was the weekend to bring the bike in, so I can get some good spin sessions in at night while I'm watching tv .. (yes I hear you all - but it's AUGUST, you should be outside! - well .. I'm rehabbing an injury, trying to lose some weight, and focussing on getting back running, and cycling is just not a priority for me right now) .. but THE DOG! I can't get on my bike! He goes nuts and tries to nip at me!

He seems to be fine with the bike itself - it's been in the house since Saturday and right now he's curled up almost around the front tire fast asleep. It's whenever *I* get *on* the bike .. trouble. Big trouble.

I started slowly, getting on and just sitting for a minute then getting off .. then sitting longer, then slowly peddling a few times - and it's same for him. He puts his head right up against my hip/leg, growls, and almost tries to push me over. I know he's not trying to hurt me - I know he would never hurt me - but clearly he thinks I should not be on this big silver thing, he's thinking it's danger and I must stop right away. And as soon as I get off - he's fine.

What to do? Anyone have similar experiences? Please tell me he'll get over this as he gets used to it. Locking him in another room while I'm spinning is not an option. He's 16 years old and I don't want to lock him up for 90 minutes every night - it would break my heart.

Any ideas, Manatees?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59