BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-03-06 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3384496

User image

Hugo, MN
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!

SEXY BIKE!

LOL @ picture caption "race mode"

2011-03-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3384785

User image

Champion
jason the bike looks great. Best of luck.

RACE REPORTS!!!

Raced twice this weekend, crazy trail run on sat and a local 10k this morning.

Saturday trails:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Sunday 10k:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2011-03-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

I like the bike Jason. It's along the lines of what I'm considering. I'm kinda, tentatively, debating between the P2 and maybe a Seduza.

Yah, today is definitely a rest day. I had a good week, and now I'm out of bed and hour and a half later than I wanted. Yah, definitely a rest day.

2011-03-06 4:59 PM

User image

Well...I suppose everything I've invested in the machine got backed up with my legs today.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243948

Course was longer than advertised, but still threw down a good enough time to take 3rd in the Novice 4/5 division.  It was a really feel good moment.  I've only been riding about 17 months now, and a lot of people that I've known since starting congratulated me.  Only a few of them have seen me riding recently...so I think I took a lot of them by surprise.  Heck...I surprised myself.

Ok...done tooting my own horn...

2011-03-06 9:47 PM

Lancaster
Looks like some good races this weekend.  I'm finally getting through round 2 of the flu.  Didn't to a thing last week and I'm itching to get back at it tomorrow.  It's amazing how much I hate to train, but how crappy I feel when I don't.
2011-03-07 8:46 AM

User image

Hugo, MN

Weight 167 lbs

Goals:  Same ol, same ol
Running: 6-7 hrs (50 mpw)
Biking: 2-3 sessions
Swimming: 1 session

2011-03-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3385012

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2011-03-06 1:59 PMjason the bike looks great. Best of luck.RACE REPORTS!!! Raced twice this weekend, crazy trail run on sat and a local 10k this morning.Saturday trails:http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243921&posts=1&start=1Sunday 10k:http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243922&posts=1&start=1
Awesome job David. That must have been a ridiculous race if 4th was almost a 9 min pace!And congrats on the win on Sunday!I just flew in from puerto Rico. Managed to run twice while we were down thre. Also got a bit of open water ocean swimming in. Glad I brought my fins.... The current was very strong. I actually didn't expect it and basically took me ten minutes of constant swimming to get back to shore from maybe 100 yds out.
2011-03-07 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
I have no ida what my weight is after a weekend of empanadas and piƱa coladas... I am guessing the scale will just say "fat".Goal for this week: get un-fat.
2011-03-07 10:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ
Hello--Illness and injury have kept me away for a while.
Current Weight: 138.7 (gained a few)
This Week's Goal:  Accept that the last few weeks have not been ideal.  Don't make the mistake of going out too hard to compensate.  Just move forward.

2011-03-07 2:13 PM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
I'd taken yesterday as a rest day with the intention of going for a ride today, but I woke up with the house being shaken from the wind. I checked the Weather Channel's website and it said 31mph gusts. I've ridden in 30+mph winds and this is a LOT more. An hour later they updated the site to reflect 50mph gusts with 30mph steady winds. So, maybe I'll try to use the broken treadmill at work. If the speed is set above 6.4ish mph, it blows a circuit breaker and cuts power to half of the building that the gym is in.
2011-03-07 3:51 PM

User image

Went to the doctor today and was diagnosed with an external hemorrhoid.  WTF?  I always heard about them in commercials and stuff, but never really knew what it is till now.

Got some prescription ointment, but doctor told me I need to take it easy for a while as physical strain can cause it/prevent it from getting better.  I had it before my TT yesterday, so that wasn't the cause.  Ironically, it didn't bother me at all while riding.  Oh well...I'll take it as a sign that I need a few days off.  I rather it get better faster than try to squeeze in some training and prolong it.

2011-03-07 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry to hear about teh Doctor's visit, but your spot on that it's better to take time off and recover properly, then push through and pay later. With that said it looks like I will need to visit the doctor soon enough as well. I posted this over at slowtwitch earlier today and a call home has confirmed that both my father and grandfather have a-fib so it may be taking place with me as well. Today's planned run of 9 miles was cut short to 5.5 when my HR shoot up 30 bpm and forced me to look into this matter a bit more.

I have had a recent problem with my heart, most notably my HR over the past year and am looking for some ideas of what is going on/causing/etc.

A little background will tell you that this problem I have been having started last year during the middle of a HIM on the bike leg. It has since happened infrequently, without any warning, has no preindications, and leaves almost as fast as it arrives. What is going on with me is that randomly my HR will skyrocket and I will suddenly become short of breath, this lasts from anywhere of a minute to 10 minutes. Today for example, I was on a long run clocking miles off at an easy pace and keeping my HR around 145-150, then suddenly it shot up to 175-180, while I was running at the same effort. At the same time, I could barely breath and felt as if I just did 10 quarter mile sprints. This happend a couple weeks ago in the pool in the middle of a swim set as well. It never really occured during any of my winter training, but I was also at a reduced volume. I cannot find any cause for this and it happens in all types of conditions, inside, outside, hot, cold, swimming, biking, and running, I would say over the past year it has happened maybe 10 times in total, but when it does it gets me to stop dead in my tracks or slow down significantly. The first time it happened it felt like I was experiencing some type of cardiac arrest, but I felt fine just moments after, and as stated before it was during a HIM that I was able to finish.

With this said I am scheduling an appointment with a doctor to maybe get some tests ran to see if they can find anything that is going on with me currently. I was just looking for anyone here that might have an idea of what is causing this to happen to me.

2011-03-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3386988

Lancaster
tri808 - 2011-03-07 4:51 PM

Went to the doctor today and was diagnosed with an external hemorrhoid.  WTF?  I always heard about them in commercials and stuff, but never really knew what it is till now.

Got some prescription ointment, but doctor told me I need to take it easy for a while as physical strain can cause it/prevent it from getting better.  I had it before my TT yesterday, so that wasn't the cause.  Ironically, it didn't bother me at all while riding.  Oh well...I'll take it as a sign that I need a few days off.  I rather it get better faster than try to squeeze in some training and prolong it.

You must have really been straining on that test the other day.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  Call it a counter punch for all of the weather jabs you give those of us struggling through the winter.

2011-03-07 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3387195

User image

ClydeNewb - 2011-03-07 1:18 PM

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  Call it a counter punch for all of the weather jabs you give those of us struggling through the winter.

Fair enough.  In Japanese culture, they call that bachi.  Sort of like what Karma means.

Seriously though...this may be a good thing for me.  I'm err on the stubborn side when it comes to rest days.  And I've tried to incorporate rest or light days into my schedule, but it rarely holds true.  I'm an honest believer that things happen for a reason...and I'm actually optimistic right now that this will help my overall training.

2011-03-07 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3387296

Lancaster
tri808 - 2011-03-07 8:25 PM
ClydeNewb - 2011-03-07 1:18 PM

Fair enough.  In Japanese culture, they call that bachi.  Sort of like what Karma means.

Seriously though...this may be a good thing for me.  I'm err on the stubborn side when it comes to rest days.  And I've tried to incorporate rest or light days into my schedule, but it rarely holds true.  I'm an honest believer that things happen for a reason...and I'm actually optimistic right now that this will help my overall training.

So is hemorrhoid friendly now a selling point for that Adamo saddle if it didn't bother you for the TT? Wink

2011-03-07 9:07 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Jason... Sorry to hear buddy. No experience with that but the break is probably a good idea?Ben, this sounds a lot like something that was happening with my sister. She is still looking I to it. Definitely make an appointment to see a doctor. I wouldn't delay that a single day dude. Little things can change everything. Make sure you do your research as to the best heart doctor if you end up needing to see a cardiologist. I will forward this description to a buddy of mine in our tri club who is a cardiologist as well.

2011-03-08 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

hey Ben, the cardiologist gave me the following info.  I hope this helps in any way:

JGG - If he is local I would be happy to see him -
This sounds like a SVT - or superventricular tachycardia - sudden onset - sudden offset rhythm - not a csue of suddden death - but more a cause of symptoms. Less likely something more concerning like VT - ventricular tachycardia.
Actually just worked up a Triathlete with the exact same symptoms - found the abnormal rhythm and this patient is having it burned away this week at Brigham (hopefully in time to still have all the training for IMLP).

Let me know - I would be happy to help. I could meet him on the hospital treadmill for a tough run to try an induce it....
2011-03-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3386168

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

jtrezza - 2011-03-07 11:12 AM Hello--Illness and injury have kept me away for a while.
Current Weight: 138.7 (gained a few)
This Week's Goal:  Accept that the last few weeks have not been ideal.  Don't make the mistake of going out too hard to compensate.  Just move forward.

Hang in there Jackie!  (I'd have inspired you but I'm not your BT friend Surprised)

2011-03-08 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3386988

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sending zen for a speedy recovery -- well, you seem to have the speed thing down but still...

2011-03-08 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3387176

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
chasingkona - 2011-03-07 7:05 PM I am scheduling an appointment with a doctor to maybe get some tests ran to see if they can find anything that is going on with me currently. I was just looking for anyone here that might have an idea of what is causing this to happen to me.

Ben, I hope that you are able to get to the bottom of this soon.

2011-03-08 6:20 PM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
chasingkona - 2011-03-07 5:05 PM

With this said I am scheduling an appointment with a doctor to maybe get some tests ran to see if they can find anything that is going on with me currently. I was just looking for anyone here that might have an idea of what is causing this to happen to me.

I really hope it isn't anything serious. If it hasn't been a major problem in the past, perhaps it'll be easy to treat. I don't know enough about cardiac problems to visualize what it's like. The only times my heart rate has appeared to shoot up really high, it was a problem with my HRM. It did freak me out a little before I figured out what was going on, so I can sympathize with the anxiety it can cause. Are you still training until going to the doctor? Does the spike in HR happen during specific types of efforts (when your HR gets over a certain rate, or when you're doing speed work, or LSD runs/rides)? I'm curious if there's a specific type of workout you can avoid to be able to safely keep training while the doctor tries to figure out what's going on.

4 miles, 36:11, wind was only gusting to 28mph. I guess I'm adapting to this environment better than I'd thought if 28mph gusts aren't too bad. Started kinda weak with trouble getting into a smooth breathing pattern, but it eased up half-way thorugh and I was able to finish really strong. Now if I could only hold the 7:15 pace for more than half-a-mile, I'd be really happy.

2011-03-08 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
PA

Hi all---well life gave me a 5 day training break---I was in Dallas all weekend--of course standing on a concrete floor for 13 hours is a workout

I got a really good 45 minute run in today and it felt awesome.

Hope everyone is doing good and training hard.

2011-03-08 7:46 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
chasingkona - 2011-03-07 6:05 PM

Sorry to hear about teh Doctor's visit, but your spot on that it's better to take time off and recover properly, then push through and pay later. With that said it looks like I will need to visit the doctor soon enough as well. I posted this over at slowtwitch earlier today and a call home has confirmed that both my father and grandfather have a-fib so it may be taking place with me as well. Today's planned run of 9 miles was cut short to 5.5 when my HR shoot up 30 bpm and forced me to look into this matter a bit more.

I have had a recent problem with my heart, most notably my HR over the past year and am looking for some ideas of what is going on/causing/etc.

A little background will tell you that this problem I have been having started last year during the middle of a HIM on the bike leg. It has since happened infrequently, without any warning, has no preindications, and leaves almost as fast as it arrives. What is going on with me is that randomly my HR will skyrocket and I will suddenly become short of breath, this lasts from anywhere of a minute to 10 minutes. Today for example, I was on a long run clocking miles off at an easy pace and keeping my HR around 145-150, then suddenly it shot up to 175-180, while I was running at the same effort. At the same time, I could barely breath and felt as if I just did 10 quarter mile sprints. This happend a couple weeks ago in the pool in the middle of a swim set as well. It never really occured during any of my winter training, but I was also at a reduced volume. I cannot find any cause for this and it happens in all types of conditions, inside, outside, hot, cold, swimming, biking, and running, I would say over the past year it has happened maybe 10 times in total, but when it does it gets me to stop dead in my tracks or slow down significantly. The first time it happened it felt like I was experiencing some type of cardiac arrest, but I felt fine just moments after, and as stated before it was during a HIM that I was able to finish.

This isn't as uncommon as you would think.  Hopefully it is SVT as the treatment is easier than the other causes.  You pretty much have 2 choices with SVT, and ablation or medications.  I would vote for ablation.  A little procedure in the hosp and you don't have to worry about it anymore.  The most challenging part of this will be that because the events are so infrequent and short it is hard to get a look at it on an ECG monitor.  Without that it is hard to be 100% sure the cause.  Without knowing the cause it is hard to treat as the end treatments are different.  V-tach gets you an internal defibrillator.

If it is SVT you can sometimes stop it on your own.  Google "vagal maneuvers".  Most importantly is it does not stop on its own call 911, we are well versed in SVT/a-fib/v-tach. If nothing else they might be able to capture they heart rhythm on their heart monitor for a cardiologist to see and get you on the path towards a final treatment plan. 

While I would definitely get this looked into I wouldn't sweat it too much along the way.  It is most likely SVT and as the cardiologist above stated it isn't life threatening.  Reasons why I would think SVT over V-tach are the rate.  V-tach is usually faster.  A-fib is irregular and will cause you to have an irregular rhythm at all times.  No don't be concerned is your heart rate is a little irregular as many athletes have irregular heart beats due to something called sinus arrhythmia, which is completely normal.  Bottom line, get it looked at but don't lose any sleep over it.

Good luck

Brent

2011-03-08 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Ben...this also sent by my cardiologist buddy:

What I would order - and maybe his priamry can do this is a:
Routine Stress Test (unless he is over 50 - then a Stress Echo)
21 day event monitor and have him wear it working out - push the button with symptoms.
Let me know if I can help out

2011-03-08 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3389395

User image

Champion
Both of you guys, get things taken care of and be safe. sometimes this stuff comes up, sucks, etc, but a small break/taking the right steps now can save a lot of issues down the road, whether its a minor strain to something or a much more serious issue.

We all like to think we are invinceable and can go through anything, but it sometimes pays off hugely in the end to be smart about things.

Got my first real ride in today, probably not the smartest move but a friend invited me to ride 3 hours today. I've been running with him and i think he enjoyed kicking my can up and down the road today. we ended upw ith 3:15 total and jsut over 60 miles. the last 6 were ROUGH. I knew going into it this was not the best plan, but oh well. Legs are pretty tired now, and i plan on just 45-70min rides for the next few days to just get my legs back under me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57