BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-08-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Hey!  How is everyone doing?  Any big plans for Labor Day weekend?

Nick-how was the H.O.T.  ????

Randy

2011-08-31 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Hi gang!  Half marathon training is going well. Though my training pace hasn't been great, my legs feel stronger than ever and I'm able to keep up with my plan pretty well. I have a nice easy 6-mile run planned for this weekend -- the challenge for me will be fitting Labor Day workouts in. We're going to Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary Weekend Festival in Wisconsin, and I plan on enjoying myself there! I seriously cannot wait for this festival, it's going to be 2 days of greatness!!!
2011-09-01 6:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-have fun at the festival.  Don't forget to hydrate appropriatley for all of your activities over the weekend!

Tried something different this afternoon.  Sufferfest cycling workout.  Kind of like a demented/intense Spinervals thing.  The website is www.thesufferfest.com  There are about 8-10 cycling workouts that you can download.  Each is about $12 and last from 45 min to 1.5 hours. Once you download one it is yours and you can burn it to a cd as well.   Lots of good cycling footage with intervals of various intensities.  All of the intervals are based on rate of perceived exertion (RPE) so  no need to have a HR monitor or powermeter.  I wanted to try something different so loaded "Local Hero".   It was alot of fun and I will definitely make it a regular workout. Quite a puddle of sweat on the floor in the garage when I finished.  So, if you do much training on a trainer you may want to check out the site-it gives a good description of each video.

Looks like we are in for a good bit of rain over the weekend. Oh well....we need it.

Randy 
2011-09-02 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Hey gang! 

Looking forward (ok, that may not be totally accurate).   Looking forward with anxious anticipation (thats better) to this weekend.  Here is my schedule:

Friday: 90 min swim

Saturday: 6 hour bike ride, 1 hour run

Sunday: 1 hour bike ride, 2 hour run

The rest of the weekend I will be exhausted on the couch : )    Have a great weekend, enjoy your activites.

Rob

2011-09-02 11:41 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Rob-sounds like you will be getting a solid weekend of training in.  Plenty of football on this weekend to keep that couch time interesting.

Looks like a really rainy weekend here given the tropical depression hanging around in the Gulf.  Might be stuck on the treadmill and rollers to get my workouts in.

Hope everyone has a safe weekend.

Randy
2011-09-02 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I'm back!!!! 8 mile run today.  Feel like a new person.  Sorry I flaked out for a month or so  
I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me do Ironman Florida next year.  We'll see how that works out.  For now, I have a half marathon in 6 weeks. 
Happy to see so much training going on with the group.  Even though the group had gotten pretty small.

Christy

2011-09-03 6:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Christy-welcome back! I'm sure you could do IMFL given the fact that you finished that brutal WVA course!  Any particular reason for IMFL?

Randy

2011-09-03 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3671691

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
slornow - 2011-09-03 6:11 AM

Christy-welcome back! I'm sure you could do IMFL given the fact that you finished that brutal WVA course!  Any particular reason for IMFL?

Randy

I've heard it's super flat  

2011-09-03 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Randy-Hope you're safe in the storm
2011-09-03 5:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-thanks.  Not really too bad other than alot of rain.  We've had 4 inches so far and more expected tomorrow.  Daughter had a cross country meet early this motning in the rain and now the plan is to cook a nice dinner and watch some more football.  Did an interval workout on the rollers this morning and will likely try to do the same tomorrow and maybe get a run in...if not outside then at the gym on the treadmill.

IMFL...are you wanting to do an "official" ironman race or just an ironman distance?  Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC is suppose to be very flat with a "with the current" wetsuit legal swim.  Usually about a week before IMFL.  Just an option if you are just looking for an iron distance race..closer to Baltimore.  I was thinking about doing it this year but way too much stuff going on this Fall with kid CC schedules and son's college search.  If I was looking for an official Ironman event I would do IMFL as well.  Flat and only 2.5-3 hours from here.

Enjoy the weekend.

Randy
2011-09-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3672147

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-09-03 5:15 PM Christy-thanks.  Not really too bad other than alot of rain.  We've had 4 inches so far and more expected tomorrow.  Daughter had a cross country meet early this motning in the rain and now the plan is to cook a nice dinner and watch some more football.  Did an interval workout on the rollers this morning and will likely try to do the same tomorrow and maybe get a run in...if not outside then at the gym on the treadmill.

IMFL...are you wanting to do an "official" ironman race or just an ironman distance?  Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC is suppose to be very flat with a "with the current" wetsuit legal swim.  Usually about a week before IMFL.  Just an option if you are just looking for an iron distance race..closer to Baltimore.  I was thinking about doing it this year but way too much stuff going on this Fall with kid CC schedules and son's college search.  If I was looking for an official Ironman event I would do IMFL as well.  Flat and only 2.5-3 hours from here.

Enjoy the weekend.

Randy

I thought about Beach to Battleship.  But...this might be my one and only Iron distance race.  That being said, something about having my name called out saying "you are an ironman" when I finish.  Cheesy...i know.  Can't help it.  If I can't get in, I might check out Beach to Battleship.

Good luck with the rain.  I hope your basement holds up better than ours does!

2011-09-04 10:46 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey everyone-was able to get a nice 50 minute run in this morning.  Kind of between the rain bands.  I got rained on over the last mile but it was kind of fun.  I like running in the rain...makes me feel "hardcore."

Christy-I can understand the allure of having your name called out at the finish of a WTC Ironman event.  If I ever do one I am going to assume it will be the only one I'll ever do as I don't know how I will hold up over the next few years.  I want to do one just to satisfy myself that I can do it.  Oh, not many folks down here have basements....dig too deep and you hit water.   

Randy     
2011-09-05 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Sorry I've been away from the group for the last week or so.

A brief race report from the H.O.T. (Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon)...

Pre-Race. Well leading up the race I felt great, however I surfed for close to 14-15 hours on Friday and Saturday the day before the race (Thanks Hurricane Irene!), while having to work on Saturday (being on my feet all day). I didn't exactly feel excited for the race for some unknown reason. I guess because I had kept telling myself it was a 'B' race, even though I can never follow that rule.

Anyway, I woke up Sunday at around 3:30am after tossing and turning all night. Felt rather tired, but rolled out of bed, took a quick shower, put my headphones on, and started drinking my coffee. Suddenly started to wake up. Unfortunately the drive was about an hour to the race site, but this was a good and a bad thing. I had time for my breakfast to digest, and get focused and awake for the race.

I got to the race site, got my transition area set up without a hitch and tried to get warmed up. I felt really lethargic and tight probably because of the lack of rest the day(s) before the race. I did my best to get warmed up, and I got my legs feeling good but my shoulders and back were extremely sore from surfing/paddling.

Swim: 1500m

This swim felt more like 4500m, had some problems with my shoulder (left) being really tight, and I was compensating with my right arm, which in turn caused me to constantly go off course. Did the swim in 32:xx, which in a freshwater swim with the slight chop, I really wasn't too upset about it. However, I know I could of done way better at the swim.

Bike: Not sure of my time, and for some reason racesmith won't load right now...Started off really solid on the bike course, which is a new course (as opposed to last years course apparently), but it was fun to do some slight turns, adding a bit more technical side to the bike course as opposed to my previous races.

Around mile 9 I got a flat....GRR, there goes my momentum.

Took me about 18 minutes to fix my flat. I know, I am horrible at fixing a flat. Got done with the two loop course, and felt exhausted since I tried to make up time lost. I definitely pushed it a bit too hard after the flat. My ego got in the way.

Run: Well, I was not expecting the run course to be as hilly, and with the heat/humidity I felt like I was climbing Mt. Everest. Had a bit of my a problem finding any semblance of running legs, but I kept my pace and really just grinded it out. Ended up finishing the run section with an 8:10 mile for the last two miles (which compared to the 9:40-10:30 miles I started out with I was happy). But I was happy I did not have any GI issues on the run like I did my last two races, so there was alot that came out of the less than perfect race. I am really excited leading in the last few weeks heading into Augusta.

Glad everyone is doing well....

2011-09-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3673907

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-great to have you back.  Stinks about the flat.  Having done that race last year I remember that the swim was "long", there were some bumpy stretches of road on the bike and that the run was uphill both ways.  Hopefully, you got the bad luck out of the way and things will go smoothly in Augusta.  Take care of those legs in the days leading up to the race.

The sun has finally returned to South Alabama

Randy

2011-09-06 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi guys - EPIC weekend in Wisconsin for Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary festival. I did manage to get in my 6-mile run on Saturday amidst the cornfields, but that was about the extent of my labor day workouts (unless you count dancing on the lawn and walking to and from the parking lots). Good think this week is a 'stepback' week... 6-hours of Pearl Jam in one weekend is probably about all my heart can take! It was seriously amazing. This is probably why I'm doing the Rock-n-Roll half - live music and running in one event is an ideal combination for me (even if the headliners are only Sugar Ray  

2011-09-06 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Savage8778 - 2011-09-05 6:59 PM

Hey all,

Pre-Race. Well leading up the race I felt great, however I surfed for close to 14-15 hours on Friday and Saturday the day before the race (Thanks Hurricane Irene!), while having to work on Saturday (being on my feet all day). I didn't exactly feel excited for the race for some unknown reason. I guess because I had kept telling myself it was a 'B' race, even though I can never follow that rule.

Anyway, I woke up Sunday at around 3:30am after tossing and turning all night. Felt rather tired, but rolled out of bed, took a quick shower, put my headphones on, and started drinking my coffee. Suddenly started to wake up. Unfortunately the drive was about an hour to the race site, but this was a good and a bad thing. I had time for my breakfast to digest, and get focused and awake for the race.

I got to the race site, got my transition area set up without a hitch and tried to get warmed up. I felt really lethargic and tight probably because of the lack of rest the day(s) before the race. I did my best to get warmed up, and I got my legs feeling good but my shoulders and back were extremely sore from surfing/paddling.

This swim felt more like 4500m, had some problems with my shoulder (left) being really tight, and I was compensating with my right arm, which in turn caused me to constantly go off course. Did the swim in 32:xx, which in a freshwater swim with the slight chop, I really wasn't too upset about it. However, I know I could of done way better at the swim.

Bike: Not sure of my time, and for some reason racesmith won't load right now...Started off really solid on the bike course, which is a new course (as opposed to last years course apparently), but it was fun to do some slight turns, adding a bit more technical side to the bike course as opposed to my previous races.

Took me about 18 minutes to fix my flat. I know, I am horrible at fixing a flat. Got done with the two loop course, and felt exhausted since I tried to make up time lost. I definitely pushed it a bit too hard after the flat. My ego got in the way.

Run: Well, I was not expecting the run course to be as hilly, and with the heat/humidity I felt like I was climbing Mt. Everest. Had a bit of my a problem finding any semblance of running legs, but I kept my pace and really just grinded it out. Ended up finishing the run section with an 8:10 mile for the last two miles (which compared to the 9:40-10:30 miles I started out with I was happy). But I was happy I did not have any GI issues on the run like I did my last two races, so there was alot that came out of the less than perfect race. I am really excited leading in the last few weeks heading into Augusta.

Wow, nice job finishing Nick. I'm not sure I could have gotten my head back in the game after that flat. 

What did you do different, nutrition-wise, to prevent the GI issues?

2011-09-07 2:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
We finally have some nice weather. Sunny skies and low 80's with low humidity. But...its hurricane season so who knows what to expect over the next few weeks.

I'm kind of taking it easy this week...cutting back on volume.  Sprint this Saturday and then.......?

Randy
2011-09-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3671474

User image

Veteran
Naples

christy - Wahoo! go for it!  Make sure u register early they fill up REALLY fast.  I wanted to Florida IM but was to late and it was full. Good luck in convincing husband, it does take ALOT of time to train. 

Edited by [email protected] 2011-09-08 8:12 AM
2011-09-08 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Nick - congrads on finishing.  Keep pumping!
2011-09-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3674852

User image

Veteran
Naples
nmladic - 2011-09-06 2:16 PM

Hi guys - EPIC weekend in Wisconsin for Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary festival. I did manage to get in my 6-mile run on Saturday amidst the cornfields, but that was about the extent of my labor day workouts (unless you count dancing on the lawn and walking to and from the parking lots). Good think this week is a 'stepback' week... 6-hours of Pearl Jam in one weekend is probably about all my heart can take! It was seriously amazing. This is probably why I'm doing the Rock-n-Roll half - live music and running in one event is an ideal combination for me (even if the headliners are only Sugar Ray  

Rock on!  wish I was there!

2011-09-08 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

I have to tell you about my swim on Monday.  Below is the picture.  if you look close enough you can see a little black dot bouncing in the waves, that's my head.  I swam for an hour and only went 20 feet!  It was the so fun!  But man did I get beat up by the waves and swallowed about 4 gallons of seawater.  Luckly the IM is in a lake and not the Gulf of Mexico! 

2011-09-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3677447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-09-08 8:11 AM

christy - Wahoo! go for it!  Make sure u register early they fill up REALLY fast.  I wanted to Florida IM but was to late and it was full. Good luck in convincing husband, it does take ALOT of time to train. 

Looks like next year isn't going to happen.  My husband asked if I could wait another year.  I guess I can't blame him, but it is pretty lame.

2011-09-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3677500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-09-08 8:31 AM

I have to tell you about my swim on Monday.  Below is the picture.  if you look close enough you can see a little black dot bouncing in the waves, that's my head.  I swam for an hour and only went 20 feet!  It was the so fun!  But man did I get beat up by the waves and swallowed about 4 gallons of seawater.  Luckly the IM is in a lake and not the Gulf of Mexico! 

That is crazy!!

2011-09-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3676584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-09-07 2:03 PM We finally have some nice weather. Sunny skies and low 80's with low humidity. But...its hurricane season so who knows what to expect over the next few weeks.

I'm kind of taking it easy this week...cutting back on volume.  Sprint this Saturday and then.......?

Randy

I think we got all your rain! It's flooding like crazy in Maryland.  Good luck this weekend.

2011-09-08 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Savage8778 - 2011-09-05 6:59 PM

Hey all,

Sounds like good practice for Augusta!  No matter what happens, you'll be ready.  Glad you got your GI issues figured out. 

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56