General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-19 8:26 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I just started eating Cream of Rice a few weeks ago before long rides, awesome!

Race morning is Cream of Rice, banana and a strong cup of coffee (tmi then a poop). At the starting line I take in a gel and some water...

Nothing new on race day :-)

2013-06-19 9:00 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I am pretty much in line with all of you on breakfast. Oats, fruit, coffee and sip some infinit (diluted) until race start.

What time are you all planning on getting to body marking etc? It opens really early but there isn't much to do once you're marked...
2013-06-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by cnsegura

I am pretty much in line with all of you on breakfast. Oats, fruit, coffee and sip some infinit (diluted) until race start.

What time are you all planning on getting to body marking etc? It opens really early but there isn't much to do once you're marked...

Hoping to be parked, maybe at NIC, by about 0500, walk over to getting marked, do that, then final check of bike etc, then just relax until it's time.
2013-06-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I know the wife and kids won't want to get up at 4 and drive over so I gotta figure out a cab ride or something to over there, but whatever I do I like to be early. Maybe 4:45 or 5 would be the latest. That way I can get the bike pumped up get the water filled up and do a system check to get ready. If it is too cold I can always put my wetsuit on. Hell at Boise last year I stood in that sucker for at least and hour.
2013-06-19 9:53 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by maverickbassets

I know the wife and kids won't want to get up at 4 and drive over so I gotta figure out a cab ride or something to over there, but whatever I do I like to be early. Maybe 4:45 or 5 would be the latest. That way I can get the bike pumped up get the water filled up and do a system check to get ready. If it is too cold I can always put my wetsuit on. Hell at Boise last year I stood in that sucker for at least and hour.

I am sure if I dug through the thread I could find where you are staying, instead I will just ask, where are you staying? Maybe someone could pick you up? I know I am coming over solo and have room, so depending on where you are at, I could do it.
2013-06-19 11:12 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by smithe68

I am sure if I dug through the thread I could find where you are staying, instead I will just ask, where are you staying? Maybe someone could pick you up? I know I am coming over solo and have room, so depending on where you are at, I could do it.

I as well could prolly pick you up on the way if smithe68 doesn't. I plan on being there in transition at about 5. I think it closes at 615. By the time you get there, get air in your tires, drop of special needs bags, take care of bodily duties, get your suit on, transition is closing then.

maverickbassets, i forgot you did that crappy boise 70.3 last year standing out in the cold. This year they dealt with heat and strong winds on the bike course I heard. I obviously didn't do it this year. let's just hope that this doesn't turn into what boise was last year.

2013-06-19 11:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I'm at the residence inn in Spokane Valley. I'm not too worried about getting over there. If someone on this thread is driving by and doesn't mind great, but if not I don't mind figuring it out. The last thing I want to do is make the morning before an Ironman anymore stress filled for them. At least I only need to worry about a one way trip. The family will get me back to the hotel. I'll know more by Friday. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of you folks at the drive and or swim on Friday. I missed the Boise get together, but I shouldn't miss anything here.
Chris
2013-06-19 11:46 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by spie34
Originally posted by maverickbassets Anyone know a decent bike shop in Spokane Valley where I can buy a water bottle? It seems I forgot one.
there is fitness fanatics off of trent, or you can wait till you get over to cda and there is a bike shop right off of Northwest Blvd in that strip mall area just off the freeway.
For just a bottle, I'd go to Dick's Sporting Goods at the Spokane Valley Mall, or maybe Sports Authority, also at the mall.  Otherwise, like spie34 mentioned, Fitness Fanatics at Pines and Trent and Vertical Earth at Riverstone in Coeur d'Alene are the best tri/bike shops around.
2013-06-20 12:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I'm at the residence inn in Spokane Valley. I'm not too worried about getting over there. If someone on this thread is driving by and doesn't mind great, but if not I don't mind figuring it out. The last thing I want to do is make the morning before an Ironman anymore stress filled for them. At least I only need to worry about a one way trip. The family will get me back to the hotel. I'll know more by Friday. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of you folks at the drive and or swim on Friday. I missed the Boise get together, but I shouldn't miss anything here.
Chris

I have to drive right by there, it's just of I90 at Sullivan, so it would add hardly any time at all for me. If you need the ride, just let me know and I will be there.

Edited by smithe68 2013-06-20 12:02 AM
2013-06-20 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Thanks a ton. I might take you up on that. I'll let you know on Friday. That is when my family will decide if they are coming down to the race or not. I think they want to, but the weather has them a little unsure.
2013-06-20 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

Thanks a ton. I might take you up on that. I'll let you know on Friday. That is when my family will decide if they are coming down to the race or not. I think they want to, but the weather has them a little unsure.

Speaking of the weather, if it does rain - would any of you change anything (as far as what you are wearing). Right now I don't think I'll add/change anything. Over that duration nothing is going to stay dry anyway and once you're wet your going to get cold too so I don't see the point of adding anything. Perhaps maybe dry socks for SN bags but that's it. Anyone plan anything different?

2013-06-20 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I will bring a very light/thin shell and throw that on if it's bad. I did a half IM about 5 weeks ago and it was freaking cold out but it kept my core reasonable which made a huge difference for me on the bike. My feet didn't stop being numb from the cold until about a mile into the run to give you an idea of what it was like, pretty sure it was in the mid 40's at the start of the race.
2013-06-20 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

No problem. I will be at the course tour at 1 tomorrow so just let me know then, I will be in a red Toyota RAV4.
2013-06-20 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
If anything I might throw on a shirt over my tri top and arm warmers. But I hesitate to do that because if it warms up I'll get too hot and I don't want to throw the shirt away. But another thought might be to go buy some long socks at the dollar store and cut a hole in them.

Socks for the bike: I am mixed on that. Wear wet soggy socks that won't really keep your feet warm, or don't, I can't decide on that one either.

thinking about wearing light cotton gloves on the bike now. They will get wet somewhat but as the temps warm up I won't need them so I throw them away at an aid station.

2013-06-20 12:27 PM

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by cnsegura

Speaking of the weather, if it does rain - would any of you change anything (as far as what you are wearing). Right now I don't think I'll add/change anything. Over that duration nothing is going to stay dry anyway and once you're wet your going to get cold too so I don't see the point of adding anything. Perhaps maybe dry socks for SN bags but that's it. Anyone plan anything different?

Yeah if it rains the whole time i wont mind giving myself some Yellow socks probably.. But as far as clothes, i only have a TRI top, I dont have any cycling jerseys, Maybe ill buy some swag today at the booths, but probably not because its over priced like crazy ><
2013-06-20 12:28 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Hey.....so.....
When are you all meeting on Friday for a visit and swim? Where?
Last I saw was 1 pm. Not sure where.

Any University of Idaho Alumni out there besides me?

2013-06-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by MRGIBBS  Any University of Idaho Alumni out there besides me?
Yup, right here!  Did you get one of the free jerseys?  They look cool, but I wore it around the house for a couple of hours and it was digging into my armpits - don' think I want to chance it, wish they had gotten them to us early enough to try on a long workout.
2013-06-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Go Vandals!. I am class of 1984. Will be picking it up Friday. U of I has a Tent on Independance point and will be giving them out. Probably wear it on the bike. If any chance of chaffing....not on the Marathon.

2013-06-20 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Local forecast holding pretty firm at 77 degrees, partly sunny, 10 percent chance of showers - winds ENE at 6mph (opposite direction as usual).
2013-06-20 1:28 PM

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Local forecast holding pretty firm at 77 degrees, partly sunny, 10 percent chance of showers - winds ENE at 6mph (opposite direction as usual).

Good deal, So the wind will be with us going up mica/past mica?
2013-06-20 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Just went for a wet bike ride and wore my swim socks and I loved it. (Thanks Trevor) If it is raining I might do that. Also maybe a layer on under my jersey. I guess I'll bring things I don't mind loosing and play it by ear.

I thought we were meeting by the park at some ball field at 1pm. If anyone knows a nearby address that would be great then my GPS could find it. Otherwise I'll go to City park and look for folks. I'll be in the black Tahoe with Michigan plates. Looking forward to putting some faces with names.

2013-06-20 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Just went for a wet bike ride and wore my swim socks and I loved it. (Thanks Trevor) If it is raining I might do that. Also maybe a layer on under my jersey. I guess I'll bring things I don't mind loosing and play it by ear.

I thought we were meeting by the park at some ball field at 1pm. If anyone knows a nearby address that would be great then my GPS could find it. Otherwise I'll go to City park and look for folks. I'll be in the black Tahoe with Michigan plates. Looking forward to putting some faces with names.

Put this in Google Maps and it will put you on the parking lot. Mullan Rd, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai, Idaho 83814
2013-06-20 2:37 PM

User image

Regular

Put this in Google Maps and it will put you on the parking lot. Mullan Rd, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai, Idaho 83814

I would suggest right across the street from the parking lot next to the ball field. That will be the entrance/exit for the bike.

So 1pm it is. Be nice to say we leave for the drive at 1:30? Give a chance for others to show up a touch late if they can't find us etc?
2013-06-20 2:38 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by MRGIBBS  Any University of Idaho Alumni out there besides me?
Yup, right here!  Did you get one of the free jerseys?  They look cool, but I wore it around the house for a couple of hours and it was digging into my armpits - don' think I want to chance it, wish they had gotten them to us early enough to try on a long workout.

Boise State here . Funny thing is I grew up less than an hour from Moscow but didn't go to school there.
2013-06-20 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dkahns51

Good deal, So the wind will be with us going up mica/past mica?

I would rather have a head wind going out on the big loop rather than a head wind coming back in. But 6mph winds if they are going to be that will not be much to tend with luckily .

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57