General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-06-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Originally posted by BernardDogs We're 51 days out by my count. Who's ready to put some goals down on record? I'll start: Swim: Feeling good about my swim right now. I've already got the endurance and anticipate a small bump in speed. I'll narrow this down a bit more once I have some OWS data, but for now I'll list 75 minutes. T1: This will be longer for me than T2. 7 minutes Bike: I have not seen the improvements I'd like to see, but I'm feeling good about feeling the pace that will be manageable to allow me to really show up ready for the run. 6:50:00 (this is my most ambitious of the times I'm listing) T2: Gonna change my socks. 5 minutes Run: Sub 4. 3:55 That puts me at a 12:12:00 We'll call it a 12:15:00 'A' goal.

Wow, BernardDogs -- you are going to make me commit in public.  Here goes:

Context: In 2012 I did my first Ironman on the same course.  My experience at Lake Placid was simply out of this world -- everything was amazing and wonderful.  I was like a schoolboy with a crush on the whole dang freaking experience.  Every minute of it.  My time ended up about five minutes slower than my "B" goal.  I had main goal of getting to the final arch with a smile and then a "Not Really Possible A Goal" followed by a "Really Good Day B Goal" and a "Something Went Wrong, But Not Horribly Wrong C Goal." These were each about an hour apart.

I went 53:09 in Mirror Lake followed by a 5:17 T1.  Then I rode nearly even splits to a 6:01:10 followed by a 2:53 T2.  I covered the run in 4:42:32 (which was my best marathon time by 25 minutes.)  All in all, I was 11:45:01 and exuberant.

Now don't laugh.  I'm a year older and recovery is that much harder.  My four kids have more activities and the home schedule is crazier than ever.  Nonetheless, these are my goals:

A -- Crazy Over the Moon Awesome Race -- 51:00, 4:30, 5:28:00, 2:00, 3:43:00 for a grand total of 10:08:30.

B -- A Really, Really Strong Day Without Mistakes -- 52:30, 5:00, 5:40:00, 2:30, 3:56:00 for a total of 10:36:00

C -- Getting It Done, Hopefully With a Smile -- 11:44:59 by swimming under 55, riding under 6:00:00 and running under 4:30:00. 

Realistically, it is such a long day and so many variables come into play I don't have a prediction but I will be thrilled to get under 11 hours.  Now, I beg of you, when we meet up for a swim with all the other BT folks on Saturday at Mirror Lake, you don't laugh in my face for having such outrageous goals compared to my skills/abilities.  (Good for you for getting this conversation going...it is motivating to put things down in writing.)

2013-06-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Originally posted by klassman Now, I beg of you, when we meet up for a swim with all the other BT folks on Saturday at Mirror Lake, you don't laugh in my face for having such outrageous goals compared to my skills/abilities.  (Good for you for getting this conversation going...it is motivating to put things down in writing.)

No laughing. We're all on our own journeys together. I think it's an important part of the vision to start putting reality to the training we've done. I started training thinking sub 12 was going to be realistic. When I really write it down, though. I need to cut myself some slack on where my biking has arrived.

It's important to acknowledge what you're training is telling you and plan your race accordingly rather than shoot for some number. Let's share what our training is telling us.
2013-06-07 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
My goals have pretty much gone out the window with my leg injury issues I've had all through training, so my first priority is making it through the oval. Aside from that, I'm hoping for a 1h15m swim, 10m T1, 7h20m bike, 5m T2, and whatever I might be graced with for the parade....I mean run.
2013-06-07 3:45 PM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
A while back, I saw a few of you discussing programming your Garmin Edge computers for the course, to tell you elevation, turns, etc.

I ordered an Edge 800 the other day on a really sweet deal, but then second guessed the size and also ordered a 500. The 500 is more in line with what I was looking for, but the 800 was actually cheaper. So not I have 2 sitting here trying to decide which one to keep.

But aside from that, both tell me that I can load a course on it to get elevation, turns, distance to finish, etc, etc. How do I do that? Do I map it out myself, or do I need to find a file that someone else has of the actual course?

And knowing size is an issue for my bike, will I ever really miss the map function of the 800 if I go with the 500?
2013-06-07 10:02 PM

User image

Regular
My goals. This will be my first. So finish will work.
Swim 1:15
T1 10
Bike 7:00
T2 8
Run 5:52
I will not be able to ride the course before the race. So is there a detail report that breaks down the bike course?
2013-06-08 6:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Originally posted by deadman

I will not be able to ride the course before the race. So is there a detail report that breaks down the bike course?

Deadman ... here is the best source on the course I've been able to find:
http://www.runtri.com/2007/07/ironman-usa-lake-placid-2008-everythi...

I just came in from a 2 mile ride and I nailed it!! We've had non-stop rain here, and I figured it was light enough today that I could go for my 90 miler that I cut short last week. Figured I'd get some wet riding practice in along the way. My route has a significant descent as I leave town with a traffic light right at the bottom. I'm about halfway down the hill and the light goes yellow, so I need to come to a stop in about 100m from 30mph ... on wet roads.

I started fish tailing and I'm pretty sure the car stopped and ready to travel through the light doesn't know I'm coming. Let of the brakes and reapply ... fish tailing again. The roads are just too wet. One more ease off and one more application and I am able to come to a stop at the end of another fish tail.

The good news is that I'm really proud of the fact that I stayed cool and managed the stop in very slick conditions. It feels good to know I can handle the bike like that. In some ways, it was kind of fun. The bummer is that I was rattled to the point that I decided to bail (again) on the long ride -- I had to cut this ride to 45 last week when thunderstorms came through. This was not the most extreme descent I would have faced. So I'll run instead today ... and hope for the break in the rain that's supposed to arrive for tomorrow to get back out there for the 90 miler.

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-06-08 6:53 AM

2013-06-08 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Deadman ... here is the best source on the course I've been able to find:
http://www.runtri.com/2007/07/ironman-usa-lake-placid-2008-everythi...

The author, Raymand Brit, also wrote a decent book about IMLP. I picked it up used, well worth the $5. I've read it numerous times over the past year.

I just came in from a 2 mile ride and I nailed it!!

Nice job! Glad you stayed upright!
2013-06-08 7:06 PM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Originally posted by cobratodd

Quassy really kicked my butt today, many times during the event I said to myself "What were you thinking signing up for a full IM?!". It was pretty discouraging, and I hope I get over it - I can't imagine doubling that distance - I need to learn so much - I struggle with pacing - I blew myself up on the hills and really suffered on the last 10 miles of the ride and first 5 miles of the run before I felt like I was back in the Zone. I swear the Pro's are inhuman - aliens, machines!!!!

OK Todd...
I did not do Quassy this year but I've done it the previous 2 yrs. The first time it took me completely by surprise. It was the hardest thing I had ever done! I was crying at the end- can you even imagine? It was just so hard and I was really down on myself for my sucky performance.
Last year I went back to finish this unfinished business. I was able to take 45 minutes off of my time from the year before but it still kicked my . That course. Kudos to you! It's a great prep for the suffering of IM and you will be ready for it- sooo ready for it!
See ya out there!
2013-06-09 5:49 PM
in reply to: alicia123

User image

New user
My zip tie bottle cages on the aero and behind the seat worked great on race day at Quassy. The bike shorts over tri shorts idea someone brought up also worked great. Just have to remember to remove the bike shorts at T2 next time. Lost about 30 seconds going back to drop the shorts.

Decided to give my bike a wash today. Never realized how much easier it is to wash the bike on car rack. I was able to remove the wheels and really give the frame a nice scrub! Just remember to set the hose to mist.

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice long weekend workouts. I wind up riding the Revolution Rumble (NJ) yesterday. Didn't register just rode the 65 mile course. I didn't use their support so I guess it's okay.

Today's 2 hour run was interesting. 10 minutes into it I found myself starving. For the next 20 minutes I kept saying to myself that the hunger will go away once the body gets gear. By 30 minutes, I was kicking myself for not bringing a gel. Almost gave up but I wind up finishing the 2 hr run.

I think this weekend is a redemption weekend for many of us who did Quassy last weekend.
2013-06-09 5:55 PM

User image

New user
You can probably find the LP course on the Garmin connect website. I found the Quassy course and uploaded it to my 305. I didn't really use it much. You can also check the DC rainmaker blog for a tutorial.

I just upgraded my GPS unit also and decided on the 910xt. It was on sale for 299 a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't pull the trigger and wind up paying 100 more. My 305 can only stay on for 5 hrs tops so the bike course is out of questions. The swim metrics seems cool. I was deciding between the 510 and the 910xt.

Originally posted by erincs

A while back, I saw a few of you discussing programming your Garmin Edge computers for the course, to tell you elevation, turns, etc.

I ordered an Edge 800 the other day on a really sweet deal, but then second guessed the size and also ordered a 500. The 500 is more in line with what I was looking for, but the 800 was actually cheaper. So not I have 2 sitting here trying to decide which one to keep.

But aside from that, both tell me that I can load a course on it to get elevation, turns, distance to finish, etc, etc. How do I do that? Do I map it out myself, or do I need to find a file that someone else has of the actual course?

And knowing size is an issue for my bike, will I ever really miss the map function of the 800 if I go with the 500?
2013-06-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: peterliu88

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by peterliu88

You can probably find the LP course on the Garmin connect website. I found the Quassy course and uploaded it to my 305. I didn't really use it much. You can also check the DC rainmaker blog for a tutorial.

I just upgraded my GPS unit also and decided on the 910xt. It was on sale for 299 a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't pull the trigger and wind up paying 100 more. My 305 can only stay on for 5 hrs tops so the bike course is out of questions. The swim metrics seems cool. I was deciding between the 510 and the 910xt.

Originally posted by erincs

Thanks, Peter. I never thought of searching Garmin connect. I actually have a garmin connect file of the course (because I have a 910XT as well), but my elevation is broken so I guess my own file won't work. And yes, I love the 910 but also wanted to go with something bike specific so I don't always have to wear the watch.

2013-06-10 12:01 PM
in reply to: deadman

Melbourne Beach
My goal is to finish standing up and before the bars close.

Need some advise from the LPIM pros. I know we discussed this issue but now I need to make a decision. Remember I am from Florida and want to actually run the last leg of the race. Last time I ran/walked (for various reasons) LPIM I used a 53/39 with a 12/27.

- Option 1 - I was thinking of a compact with a 12/28 - 31.8 gear inch setup - but have to buy a new crank and cassette - $400 to 500
- Option 2 - New derailleur and 12/36 mountain bike cassette - 28.4 gear inch setup - $170 to 180.

Anybody ever seen this last option in practice? As soon as this race is over, I am back to my standard gearing so I want to limit the expense but want some granny gears. I am not worried about spinning out - I am 215 lbs and deploy air brakes while riding to Keene.
2013-06-10 3:04 PM
in reply to: rummy

User image

Hey all,

I'm a little late to the game here, but was planning on Lake Placid for my first IM next year. How hard is it to get in if you register early? Do all the slots get chewed up within a day? Thanks!
2013-06-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Originally posted by klassman

Originally posted by BernardDogs We're 51 days out
by my count. Who's ready to put some goals down on record? I'll
start: Swim: Feeling good about my swim right now. I've already
got the endurance and anticipate a small bump in speed. I'll
narrow this down a bit more once I have some OWS data, but for now
I'll list 75 minutes. T1: This will be longer for me than T2. 7
minutes Bike: I have not seen the improvements I'd like to see,
but I'm feeling good about feeling the pace that will be
manageable to allow me to really show up ready for the run.
6:50:00 (this is my most ambitious of the times I'm listing) T2:
Gonna change my socks. 5 minutes Run: Sub 4. 3:55 That puts me at
a 12:12:00 We'll call it a 12:15:00 'A' goal.

A -- Crazy Over the Moon Awesome Race -- 51:00, 4:30, 5:28:00,
2:00, 3:43:00 for a grand total of 10:08:30.

B -- A Really, Really Strong Day Without Mistakes -- 52:30, 5:00,
5:40:00, 2:30, 3:56:00 for a total of 10:36:00

C -- Getting It Done, Hopefully With a Smile -- 11:44:59 by
swimming under 55, riding under 6:00:00 and running under 4:30:00.

Realistically, it is such a long day and so many variables come
into play I don't have a prediction but I will be thrilled to get
under 11 hours. Now, I beg of you, when we meet up for a swim with
all the other BT folks on Saturday at Mirror Lake, you don't laugh
in my face for having such outrageous goals compared to my
skills/abilities. (Good for you for getting this conversation
going...it is motivating to put things down in writing.)

BD - I'll play...

klass - I like how you've done the ABC.  I've actually done the same with mine so it's reassuring to see someone else doing it.

I can't use my LP12 race for any type of comparision because of my injury going into it.  So this is stricly based off desire and
what I think I can do.

A -- Perfect day -- I want sub 10.
Swim: 1:00-1:05
T1 - 5:00
Bike - 5:20
T2 - 2:30 (putting on socks)
Run - 3:30
Total: 9:57:30

B -- Really good day but problems some where along the line.
Swim: 1:10
T1 - 6:00
Bike - 5:45
T2 - 4:00 (putting on socks)
Run - 3:40
Total: 10:45

C -- Slwoing down and enjoying my day after a flat and some
nutrition problems lol
Swim: 1:20
T1 - 6:00
Bike - 6:00
T2 - 4:00 (putting on socks)
Run - 4:20
Total: 11:50

D -- umm.....the world is falling apart and the zombies are attacking.
Swim: Finish
T1: Finish
Bike: Finish
T2: Finish
Run: Finish
Total: Finish...and yet still and Ironman at the end.

There we go...my fate is set in stone!
2013-06-10 8:47 PM

User image

New user
I was wondering if I needed to swap for a compact crank too. I ended up getting a 12-30 Ultegra cassette and swapping out the 11 and 12 cogs from my Sram 11-28. Now I have a standard crank with a 11-30 on the back and love the fact I still have my fast gear for the descents and didn't compromise my standard crank. The 30 seems big enough for me when I used it at Quassy. I realize I may be giving up a little bit of fine tuning in the middle but I think the range is worth it for me. The best part is that all I had to do was a link in my chain and it works with my Ultegra derailleur just fine.
2013-06-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: cornick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Big confidence builder again today...got in 107 miles on the bike and followed it up with 6 miles at goal pace +:30. Felt great. Mowed the lawn when I got home...

My goals:

Finish (my first IM) If things go south, I need to keep this in mind. Very few people will comprehend the difference between a 16 hour IM and a 12 hour IM (well, people not on this forum).

assuming things are going well...this is how I would love to see the race unfold:

Swim: 1:15
Bike: 5:50-6:10
Run: 3:30-3:40

Total: 11:00ish

2013-06-11 3:53 AM
in reply to: runninirish

User image

Lebanon
Raced Eagleman on Sunday and came in at 5:38:00 for a 19:00 PR. Came out of it with sore quads and a sunburn and a couple of blisters. Felt pretty good overall and with a good feel of what I need to get done over the next 6 weeks to have a good day at LP. 6 weeks of hard training ahead.

Goals

First Ironman and will probably not get to swim, bike or run the course before race day.

High goal

12:30:00

Mid Goal

13:30:00

Still Happy goal

Before midnight

2013-06-11 5:01 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by rummy

My goal is to finish standing up and before the bars close.

Need some advise from the LPIM pros. I know we discussed this issue but now I need to make a decision. Remember I am from Florida and want to actually run the last leg of the race. Last time I ran/walked (for various reasons) LPIM I used a 53/39 with a 12/27.

- Option 1 - I was thinking of a compact with a 12/28 - 31.8 gear inch setup - but have to buy a new crank and cassette - $400 to 500
- Option 2 - New derailleur and 12/36 mountain bike cassette - 28.4 gear inch setup - $170 to 180.

Anybody ever seen this last option in practice? As soon as this race is over, I am back to my standard gearing so I want to limit the expense but want some granny gears. I am not worried about spinning out - I am 215 lbs and deploy air brakes while riding to Keene.

Cant remember the gearing but the guy next to me at the camp ground last year said he used a mountain bike cassette when he did " the silverman" in Nevada years ago.
2013-06-12 9:24 AM

User image

After last years epic nutrition meltdown I just want to drop time! 4 weeks out from raceday I will be spending a week and a half driving a Uhaul out to Phoenix from Ohio and then back. I have a co-driver so the plan is for me to wake up early and get at least a couple hour head start on my bike for them to come pick me up when they catch up. I should be getting a huge bike week that way but no swimming and I will try to get as much running as possible in triple digit heat as I can.

Goals for a great day
Swim=1:00
T1=5-10 min
Bike=6:00
T2=2 min
Run=3:30
Total=10:30ish

Goals for a good day
Swim=1:05(i have my swim locked in right now)
T1=5-10 min
Bike=6:30
T2= 2 min
Run=4:00
Total=11:45ish

Goals to beat last year at least
Swim=1:20
T1=10 min
Bike=7:00
T2=2 min
Run=4:30
Total=12:50ish

Last years time was 13:50 which include a potty break every mile during the run(overhydrated) and stopping for 20 min on the bike to eat everything in sight because i was soooooo tired and had no energy from not enough calories... Let's just say i learned my lessons.
2013-06-12 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey guys!

I have been so busy with work and training the past month or so that I am just getting back to reading the forums on BT instead of in my email and WOW it changed!!! It took me a minute to figure out how to get here to comment - but I like the new look!

I see you are talking about goals for the race...I did IMLP in 2011 and finished in 15 hours 4 minutes...that was about 30 pounds and lots of miles ago...So primarily I want to do better than that...But specifically my goals are:

Plan A, Pie in the sky, perfect nailing nutrition kind of day:
Swim: 1:30ish
Bike 6:30ish
Run 4:30ish
so - Sub 14 - I have done all those distances in less than those times individually, but not sure about putting them together on game day.

Plan B: Maybe more realistic goal)
Swim: 1:35 (pretty sure I will be between 1:30-1:35 here)
Bike: 7h
Run: 5h
Sub - 15

Plan C - get my a$$ across the line before midnight.

We will see. The thing that worries me the most about IM is the threat of mechanical problems on the bike. Which is just part of biking and I can deal with but it stresses me out anyway - the best part of the bike is handing it to the volunteer for 2 reasons 1) you are rid of that FREAKING bike and 2) mechanical stuff done.

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2013-06-12 11:19 AM
2013-06-12 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by cobratodd

Quassy really kicked my butt today, many times during the event I said to myself "What were you thinking signing up for a full IM?!". It was pretty discouraging, and I hope I get over it - I can't imagine doubling that distance - I need to learn so much - I struggle with pacing - I blew myself up on the hills and really suffered on the last 10 miles of the ride and first 5 miles of the run before I felt like I was back in the Zone. I swear the Pro's are inhuman - aliens, machines!!!!

Hey Cobratodd-

I didn't do it this year but I heard it was CRAZY hot, my friend Jen did it and was 45 minutes slower than the previous year...that is a tough race, I remember the year I did it was the year I did IMLP and I thought, "Thank god I don't have to do 2 laps of THAT."

That run is just hellish at the front.

SO anyway, my point is, that race freaked me out about IMLP too. But if you can try to view it as a building block for IMLP, try to not let it discourage you. It is just a very tough race, a great prep for IMLP, and think of all the great stuff you figured out that you need to watch when you are doing IMLP! (ie pacing. Nutrition, etc)

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2013-06-12 11:29 AM

2013-06-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
It got quiet in here all of a sudden. Is it because everyone is studying up on the Athelete Guide that was just posted?

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/be807a7efdc44f88b20bff81b2e46eb7/im%...

2013-06-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: dossheepos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Skipped local olympic this morning due to weather (hadn't registered, so no $$ lost). Got in the pool for 4k, rode the mt. bike (in the rain) for 1:10 and then got an hour run in. Probably a better workout than the triathlon...but I was looking forward to the open water swim and just going through the motions of a race. Probably won't get another race in until July 28th! Won't be long now, folks!
2013-06-15 6:35 PM
in reply to: runninirish

User image

New user
I did a century today and was thinking what do everyone like to look at on their Garmin? Anyone suggestions or insight?

I have these pages for the bike:

time, distance, time of day - to see how long before i have to go home
speed, grade, elevation gain - to train with hills
speed, cadence, hr - to try to maintain cadence while keeping my heart from exploding

I have these pages for the run:

pace, cadence, hr
time, pace, distance
2013-06-16 5:20 AM
in reply to: Tracker09

Regular
Originally posted by Tracker09

I was wondering if I needed to swap for a compact crank too. I ended up getting a 12-30 Ultegra cassette and swapping out the 11 and 12 cogs from my Sram 11-28. Now I have a standard crank with a 11-30 on the back and love the fact I still have my fast gear for the descents and didn't compromise my standard crank. The 30 seems big enough for me when I used it at Quassy. I realize I may be giving up a little bit of fine tuning in the middle but I think the range is worth it for me. The best part is that all I had to do was a link in my chain and it works with my Ultegra derailleur just fine.

I personally don't like the compact. I am finding I give too much away in the slight downhills; if I had to do it over again, I would get an intermediate compact (I think 50-39 or so rather than my 48-36? maybe).

Goals - Realistic:

S 1:30

B 6:45

R 5:00

Trans :15

Total: 13:30-14 (It depends on the weather and the marathon at this point)

Quassy I just broke 7, with a hot day and really slow marathon on a BRUTAL (but beautiful) course. Normally would double that time and add a half hour, but I think my Quassy time was on the slow side for my fitness. I would be very happy with anything below 14; 15:20 was my first full IM time so likely to get a PR!

BTW, am finally thru my post-Quassy rough point... always happens to me post race, plus had some traveling/work/house stuff to deal with. But now I am ready for the final push! Stay healthy! JC
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59