BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-07-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Jennifer,
Conditioning is going to be absolutely no problem for you.  I would argue that you've put in enough work to comfortably complete an Olympic race and probably even complete a HIM.  Since this is your first race since last year, just go at a comfortable pace.  Once you're done with the bike portion, you're going to realize you got plenty left in the tank and you'll be able to get more aggressive on the run.  You're going to finish w/o a problem... guaranteed!

2010-07-19 9:14 AM

User image

NH
Jennifer, trust your training.  You are a completely different triathlete than last year.  You are very prepared and will continue to kill these races.  And I agree with Aaron to go over your bike the day before and make sure everything is ok.  Otherwise, it's good to have some jitters, keeps us sharp!

Aaron, are you coming up to the region at all before the Timberman?  I'm actually on vacation the two weeks prior to the event so I'll be riding those routes a lot - if you're up there maybe we can do a ride together so you can exercise those demons prior top race day; or you can come over to the camp and do some waterskiiing!
2010-07-19 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Jennifer -

Fear of failure can do two things.

1.  Paralyze you to never try anything you might fail at.  
2.  Motivate you to take action to avoid failure.

It looks like you have chosen option #2.  Your training is fantastic.  That is no problem.  What else can cause you to "fail"?  The only thing I can think of is equipment failure.   So, what actions can you take to prevent or reduce the chances of losing your chain again?  You could take your bike to the LBS for a tune up. (especially that front derailleur)  That might make you feel a little more secure.

I always get prerace jitters.  I think it helps to have a routine.  Equipment checklists, equipment maintenance (tune up at LBS) , rituals (wake up at 3 a.m.- hot bath- short walk- cook breakfast for my wife), music (I like to make playlists on iTunes for my iPod), meals..............

Looking forward to that race report that says you've settled the score with that course.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-07-19 2:53 PM
2010-07-19 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Warren - That's great news about the biking time!  So, what's the new goal time?Laughing
2010-07-20 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2989465

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-07-19 10:39 AM Warren - That's great news about the biking time!  So, what's the new goal time?Laughing

Haha, that's exactly what Leigh (my trainer) said!  I actually did my other time trial loop this morning, and hit another huge PR.  I had slowly dropped my time down on that loop to a PR of 42:00 (20.0 MPH) last time out.  This morning I covered the distance in 39:46 (21.2 MPH).  I've definitely broken some sort of plateau I guess.  Maybe there's hope for us MOP guys!

Now the trick is to keep it up.  And get my running out of the gutter.  And learn to swim!  That's what makes this interesting.
2010-07-20 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2987813

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-07-17 6:14 PM Hello all - Next Saturday is the year anniversary of my first attempt at a tri. I DNF'ed (due to equipment failure on the bike), and while I am MUCH better trained (although - at the time, I thought I was pretty well trained) - I am still pretty nervous. It is a local, small sprint (the bike route goes right past our street), so I can wake up about an hour before the race and still make it. It will be filled with a lot of people that I know (about 65 participated last year), and a lot of friends will be at the finish line. The hard thing is now I am thinking about the possibility I may not finish it again and it's got me all worked up. How do you deal with pre-race jitters? Any advice on calming me down would be appreciated!

Jennifer,

Taper girl!!  You are a training machine!  You are SO READY for Hope!  As you wrote in your logs there isn't anything else in regards to training that will help your race this weekend, but you also said you might have a cold coming on so I think you need to listen to your body and get some REST & RELAXATION (taper)!!

I suggest you do some stretching, relax and BREATH!!  You have done all the work, the race is just the victory lap.  Go look at your logs and think about all the biking, running, swimming, cross training, early morning, late nights, long runs, all those days in which while others were watching TV or sleeping YOU were hitting the pavement.  YOU are SO READY.    Use some image visualization of you swimming, biking and running successfully, visualize your bike working perfectly and gears changing just as fast as you touch those levers, but most of all visualize yourself crossing that finish line feeling strong, tired, proud and happy that your race couldn't have gone better...because THAT will happen.  Smile

Good luck Jenn, you are going to KILL IT!

2010-07-21 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2993212

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
RunRene - 2010-07-20 5:08 PM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-07-17 6:14 PM Hello all - Next Saturday is the year anniversary of my first attempt at a tri. I DNF'ed (due to equipment failure on the bike), and while I am MUCH better trained (although - at the time, I thought I was pretty well trained) - I am still pretty nervous. It is a local, small sprint (the bike route goes right past our street), so I can wake up about an hour before the race and still make it. It will be filled with a lot of people that I know (about 65 participated last year), and a lot of friends will be at the finish line. The hard thing is now I am thinking about the possibility I may not finish it again and it's got me all worked up. How do you deal with pre-race jitters? Any advice on calming me down would be appreciated!

Jennifer,

Taper girl!!  You are a training machine!  You are SO READY for Hope!  As you wrote in your logs there isn't anything else in regards to training that will help your race this weekend, but you also said you might have a cold coming on so I think you need to listen to your body and get some REST & RELAXATION (taper)!!

I suggest you do some stretching, relax and BREATH!!  You have done all the work, the race is just the victory lap.  Go look at your logs and think about all the biking, running, swimming, cross training, early morning, late nights, long runs, all those days in which while others were watching TV or sleeping YOU were hitting the pavement.  YOU are SO READY.    Use some image visualization of you swimming, biking and running successfully, visualize your bike working perfectly and gears changing just as fast as you touch those levers, but most of all visualize yourself crossing that finish line feeling strong, tired, proud and happy that your race couldn't have gone better...because THAT will happen.  Smile

Wow, Rene... you've got ME all motivated!  I just did 2 laps around the office water cooler!
2010-07-21 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2993990

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-07-20 7:57 PM
RunRene - 2010-07-20 5:08 PM

Jennifer,

Wow, Rene... you've got ME all motivated!  I just did 2 laps around the office water cooler!

Wow! That's awesome...I think I should hire you to give me a pep talk before every race! Thanks guys for all the positive words. I have checked and rechecked the bike - I'll do the bike loop once more (probably on Thursday), and am going to do the swim with a friend today (they just put the buoys up in the lake). Last Saturday as I was finishing the dry run, I pictured what the finish line would be like...the last 1/2 mile of the run is down a gradual hill. I plan on leaving it all out there!

Have a great weekend all - Don't forget Bob's got something exciting coming up soon!
2010-07-21 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2993990

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-07-20 4:57 PM

LOL!!!!!
2010-07-21 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Warren - congrats on your PRs, awesome breakthroughs!

Jenn - I couldn't say it better than Rene, just reread his post!!!  Your going to smash this race!  Good luck!

I set my garmin to stop timer for runs (don't usually stop much though).  I currently count stopped time with bike, but probably will set autostop for bike, because when I stopped it manually, I would forget to turn it back on.  I don't count stopped time in swim times.

Canada was sooo cool, it got up to 80 and they were all complaining how hot it was.  I'm back in the oven of Virginia heat/humidity, but headed to Ohio for family reunion this weekend.

Hope you all are having a great week.  Work is very busy as one of my direct reports resigned this week and travels have the time passing by fast.  Can you believe it's almost August and Bob is tapering for Calgary 70.3!!  Good luck!
2010-07-22 5:51 AM
in reply to: #2989358

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-07-19 10:14 AM Jennifer, trust your training.  You are a completely different triathlete than last year.  You are very prepared and will continue to kill these races.  And I agree with Aaron to go over your bike the day before and make sure everything is ok.  Otherwise, it's good to have some jitters, keeps us sharp!

Aaron, are you coming up to the region at all before the Timberman?  I'm actually on vacation the two weeks prior to the event so I'll be riding those routes a lot - if you're up there maybe we can do a ride together so you can exercise those demons prior top race day; or you can come over to the camp and do some waterskiiing!

Right now planning on arriving Friday and volunteering for the race Saturday.

2010-07-22 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2989458

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-07-19 10:37 AM Jennifer -

Fear of failure can do two things.

1.  Paralyze you to never try anything you might fail at.  
2.  Motivate you to take action to avoid failure.

It looks like you have chosen option #2.  Your training is fantastic.  That is no problem.  What else can cause you to "fail"?  The only thing I can think of is equipment failure.   So, what actions can you take to prevent or reduce the chances of losing your chain again?  You could take your bike to the LBS for a tune up. (especially that front derailleur)  That might make you feel a little more secure.

I always get prerace jitters.  I think it helps to have a routine.  Equipment checklists, equipment maintenance (tune up at LBS) , rituals (wake up at 3 a.m.- hot bath- short walk- cook breakfast for my wife), music (I like to make playlists on iTunes for my iPod), meals..............

Looking forward to that race report that says you've settled the score with that course.

I agree fantastic training. You are ready, like Ray said get the biked checked out, otherwise nothing to worry about. I almost wish I had some rituals but do not.

2010-07-22 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Well, my wife put the kabashh on an extra 10 hour drive through Lake Placid on our return trip from Ohio to Virginia (which is already a 10 hour drive) for me to sign up for IMLP.  However, on a positive note she said for me to sign up for IMCDA!  It looks like I will be joining Aaron! 

Although at this time with my hip, I don't have the confidence back for signing up for this, but I may do just do it and hope I can return to full training load by time needed for this journey and I don't know how long this "authorization" might last so better take it while I can get it.

How about Rene joining just too, right in your back yard?!?  Other takers?

And I picked these two because they appear to be the coolest IM events (no more FLA humidity for this distance).  Also, LP seems like the ultimate IM and in my time zone, so it made sense if I could only make it on site, I would prefer that one.  Maybe next time...

Edited by mdfahy 2010-07-22 9:39 AM
2010-07-22 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I might take a crack at IMLP next year.  I've heard it's one of the more challenging bike courses, but it's usually cooler (weather-wise) than other venues.
2010-07-22 1:55 PM

User image

NH
Lake Placid seems like the IM of choice for a ton of New Englanders.  It's a good time of year for most people and it's close.  The weather can be anything, though typically fairly cool (70s).

I think the bike has some rolling hills but it's not a St. George or anything like that, and the swim has a cable marking the path so it can be a fast swim if crowded near the line.

What are the pros/cons of IMDOT races?  I seem to like the smaller less commercial races, so I'm leaning toward a non-IM race as my 140.6 if I do one.
2010-07-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2997229

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-07-21 7:37 PM Well, my wife put the kabashh on an extra 10 hour drive through Lake Placid on our return trip from Ohio to Virginia (which is already a 10 hour drive) for me to sign up for IMLP.  However, on a positive note she said for me to sign up for IMCDA!  It looks like I will be joining Aaron! 

Although at this time with my hip, I don't have the confidence back for signing up for this, but I may do just do it and hope I can return to full training load by time needed for this journey and I don't know how long this "authorization" might last so better take it while I can get it.

How about Rene joining just too, right in your back yard?!?  Other takers?

FYI, I paid my $612!!  I am locked in for IMCDA!!!!!!  Smile  I registered a week or two ago.  My wife was VERY hesitant to give me the green light, but she did!  You and Aaron joining me??

2010-07-22 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Awesome Rene!  I had a sneaking suspicion IMCDA might be in your future.

Unless I can convince my wife to let me drive to IMLP this weekend, I'm signing up for IMCDA. 

Bill - are you going to IMLP this weekend to sign up?  I heard it will sell out during the onsite registration day this coming Monday. 

I'll probably be signed up for one or the other this coming Monday, looking like IMCDA at this point.
2010-07-23 12:01 AM
in reply to: #2998995

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-07-22 5:52 AM Awesome Rene!  I had a sneaking suspicion IMCDA might be in your future.

Unless I can convince my wife to let me drive to IMLP this weekend, I'm signing up for IMCDA. 

Bill - are you going to IMLP this weekend to sign up?  I heard it will sell out during the onsite registration day this coming Monday. 

I'll probably be signed up for one or the other this coming Monday, looking like IMCDA at this point.

Cool!  Let us know what you decide!
2010-07-23 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2999330

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
RunRene - 2010-07-22 1:01 PM
mdfahy - 2010-07-22 5:52 AM Awesome Rene!  I had a sneaking suspicion IMCDA might be in your future.

Cool!  Let us know what you decide!

This is great! You all have a plan for 2011! Great news all around...Matt - I'd say take advantage of that window while you can...

I have been considering IMLP for 2012 (don't think I have enough of a base before then)...I have a friend competing on Sunday, so I will get the details from her...it's a LOT of people. I have been thinking about B2B - but again, not until 2012. Hmmm....maybe I can convince the family to do a vacation in Canada?

It really makes me smile to see you all joining together. Great job. Now get out there and train.
2010-07-23 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I contacted IMCDA for registration status and they replied to me today with this:  General entry for the 2011 Ford Ironman Coeur d'Alene is slightly more than 75% full.

Looks like I will sign up for IMCDA this coming Monday.  Trip to LP this weekend was shot down again last night, but she told me to sign up for IMCDA (she referred to it that race in Idaho potato)!! :-)  Will let you all know when it's official!

Jennifer - go ROCK the HOPE TRI!!  I know you will!!

Bob - stay focused on taper, flexibility, and race plan visualization...you have the fitness, time to focus on executing the plan!! 

Have a great weekend all!
2010-07-23 10:17 AM

User image

NH
2011 looks like the IM year for a lot of us.  That will be cool to watch as it develops.  Ray and Aaron can dole out advice on the iron distance training. 

Like Jennifer, I'm also holding off until 2012 - partially because I want another year to build my base and partially because I'll be moving up an age group in 2012!

IMLP, IMAZ, or B2B are my current thoughts.  What's the IM vs. non-IM arguments for everyone?  I kind of like smaller events and venues, and fall is a good time for me, so B2B has some appeal, but IMLP would be interesting since I know a lot of people who do it.

2010-07-23 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I'm so tempted to join you guys but I think I need to see how next week goes first. Thanks for the good thoughts.

I have a tentative plan if all goes well to try to sign up for IMAZ 2011 since that's pretty close and hopefully I can get in. The biggest decision factor for me is if I can make the step up. I don't want to take a shot at it and miss the target.
2010-07-23 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Warren - I saw your flat coke thread in Iron Distance talk.  It's great at the end of a looooong training session.  You can feel as soon as it hits your system.  It's like crack, amazing.  I've also heard that Chris Lieto uses Red Bull at the end of his long bike sessions as a pick-me-up to get him to the end.   Next time you are out on a 5-6 hour day or longer, try a little at the end.
2010-07-23 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

You said maybe Aaron and Ray can give some IM training advise.  All I've got right now is to make sure your wives know what they have actually agreed to.  I don't think mine quite understood what 13-19 hours a week really meant.  It affects your social life, your household chore productivity, grocery bill................................

As to "how to train" - I guess I'll know which mistakes I made in 65 days.  If I lived in a perfect world I would have tried an IM my third year back instead of my first, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-07-23 2:21 PM
2010-07-24 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
No official race results posted yet (it is a small, local race)...95 people participated (we had 65 last year), it was raining at the start and was just misting by the run. I finished! Woot! My time (according to my watch) was 1:41:38. Last year during my dry runs, I was finishing almost 20 minutes longer, so I'm very pleased with the result. The swim was a melee, the bike was slippery (due to the rain and some seriously rough roads), but the run felt good. It's really nice racing with a bunch of your neighbors.

Race Report here...thanks for all the positive thoughts and words - they really did help motivate me to push, push, push.

(and about the Significant Other maybe not being as aware of the overall impact of training time for IM on the household...I think that will be one of my biggest challenges...its a significant chunk of time.)

Edited by itsallrelative_Maine 2010-07-24 7:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76