Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-09-09 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3677163

El Paso
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
ernestov - 2011-09-07 9:43 PM

Gang,

My triathlon team has a challenge during the month of November, it is called 30X30X30 (it means 30 runs in 30 days, at least 30 minutes long). I believe this would be a good alternative to the "who can bag the most 5Ks". Running frequency in the winter is KEY to speed adaptation, the trick is not to make the runs much longer than thirty minutes so to keep cycling and swimming (if any) going. Avoiding burnout is necessary, so speedwork and long runs don't come in the picture that much.

Who's in? Speed is not a tie breaker, only duration. This way the field is leveled. I'd like to extend the challenge here, the winner gets an aluminum foil medal and bragging rights.

Also, the winter months are crucial for building bike speed. For those of you enduring harsh conditions out there the indoor trainer is PERFECT for this, because sessions are meant to be kept short and hard. Chris, this is your golden opportunity to get fast before the next season begins. Starting May you can start riding outdoors and putting longer stuff in.

Hey! like Jen Im still here, work and school are CRAZY!!  Im still training not in any particular way, just take what ever you guys discuss in the forum, I have my Olympic in about 3 weeks, no goal  just not to finish last, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I volunteer in a sprint that took place here en EP, it was a very cool experience made friends with another couple that are doing the same Oly, thats gonna help the nerves..

I know that the Oly is not an Ironman nor a half but at least I would be able to call my self a Tri dude.

Well im in for the November challange,  Congrats to all in your races and acomplishments!!

2011-09-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3679697

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
ernestov - 2011-09-09 3:06 PM
jenputnam - 2011-09-09 10:58 AM

Hey gang-

Well I'm still here.  Moving to CO has been a real transition.  I have been so overwhelmed with trying to be a team Mom for my son's football team, volunteer at the schools and train, cook and be at practices it's hard to check in.  

So about that...  HELP!!!!!!  I have been here since July and my training really locked in about 2 weeks ago as far and all 3 sports, I train 2 times a day on Tues wed Thurs.  Off on Mondays.  Before that I was just getting out there and running and going on the trainer with the spinervals.  

I added 5 points to MAF because it's been a year (although not as hard core as now).  It seems this week I haven't been able to run slow enough to keep my heart rate there.  I know I have all these hills but I had to walk the entire way back yesterday and today to keep it in range.  Also yesterday's run was 47degrees and today's was the same but the sun was out so it felt warm.  Do I just keep pushing in hopes to one day be able to run?  I am going to the track again on Sunday in hopes to see what's going on but this is depressing.  

Chris, Gabe and Barry- I know I'm late but great races all of you!!!!!!!

Jen,

Allow yourself to train above MAF for a while to get the muscular fitness in, the cardiovascular fitness is something you can work on later. The track is a good way to stay at more even HR, even if it is above the aerobic numbers.

It's a good time for you to shoot for consistency. The only way to get fit is by showing up, even the most perfect workout means nothing if it's the only one in the week. Since you're not going to be racing for a while, try and build your base and don't worry a lot about HR for now. Later on different story...

Thanks for the kudos Jen and thanks for asking the question. I'm much at the same point. So Ernesto,

I've started running 5 to six days a week 5 or 6 miles at a time. My MAF is 135 and I've been running at about 143-146. Following your advise to Jen should I just keep in this direction for the winter base building? By the way, I'm in for the November challenge also.

2011-09-09 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ernesto.  

So run "slow" the keep heart rate low or run at a comfortable steady pace.  Heart rate is relative here now.  I live at an elevation of 6890 ft!!  If I leave my home and turn left, I climb and additional 200-400ft depending on my wrkout.  If I turn right it's down hill for a mile then I turn onto the trail.  The trail is great but the first 2-3 miles you are uphill at what averages out to a 5% incline.  I'll post a pick from the side you come out on.  Actually I post a few of the view this weekend.  Nothing like running a trail and seeing a deer eating 10ft in front of you!!!

2011-09-09 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
This challenge sounds like a great idea, but I think I will have to give it a miss this time. I have been battling some chronic inflammation for the last few months now that shows its annoying side after every run. My toe joints are killing me! Funny, the length of the run doesn't have much to do with it, but after every run till the end of the day and even with less intensity the next day, the joints are really painful. Specially in the left foot. Sorry, I feel like I need to sort it out, it is not pleasant as it is.
2011-09-10 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I've missed some posts.  What is the Challenge?
2011-09-10 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Jen,

Just scroll up to the top of this page and read it.

2011-09-10 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Garmin died today, burial services to be held tomorrow. Tried calling a "medium" to retrieve my file from the other world but nothing...
I had the best ride in ages, took off with roadies, pulled like an animal, loved it, attacked the hills, loved it too. Grrrrrrr!! I need the file. I need a new GPS!

2011-09-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3680500

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-09-10 6:04 PM

Garmin died today, burial services to be held tomorrow. Tried calling a "medium" to retrieve my file from the other world but nothing...
I had the best ride in ages, took off with roadies, pulled like an animal, loved it, attacked the hills, loved it too. Grrrrrrr!! I need the file. I need a new GPS!

Oh, I would hate that. Sure the roadies didn't sabotage it. You know how they hate triathletes!

Amazon has 305's for $138. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B...

But enough about you, let's talk about me.

My marathon is three weeks from tomorrow, and I have a question, but here's the setup. My running program has me doing the following from here on in. MP means Marathon pace goal (which for me is 7:50). MP+60 means 60 seconds slower than MP. MP-10 means 10 seconds faster.

Week 3: 56 miles
Sunday, 16 miles at MP+60
Monday, 6 easy miles
Tuesday, 3x2 miles at MP-10, total of 9 miles with warmup, jogs in between, and cooldown.
Wednesday, OFF
Thursday, 10 miles at MP
Friday, 6 easy miles
Saturday, 9 easy miles

Week 2: 51 miles
Sunday, 10 miles at MP+60
Monday, 8 easy miles
Tuesday, 3x2 miles at MP-10, total of 9 miles with warmup, jogs in between, and cooldown.
Wednesday, OFF
Thursday, 10 miles at MP
Friday, 7 easy miles
Saturday, 7 easy miles

Week 1: 34 miles
Sunday, 8 easy miles
Monday, 6 easy miles
Tuesday, 5 easy miles
Wednesday, OFF
Thursday, 6 easy miles
Friday, 6 easy miles
Saturday, 3 easy miles

Week 0:
Sunday: RACE

Here's the dilemma. I've done 3 long runs so far (15 or 16 miles) on the Sundays of weeks 5, 7 and 9. I'm scheduled for the last one tomorrow. But my doctor wants me to not run until I've had one more treatment - Monday at 5 pm. (BTW, whatever he did seems to have worked. Ankles feel a million times better). I'm going to take his advice and not run until then. But that means I miss one of my four long runs.

So how should I adjust my schedule? Should I just jump back into the schedule on monday night and skip the last long run, or substitute one of the other runs for a 16 miler. And if so, when.

Edited by older2533 2011-09-10 8:36 PM
2011-09-10 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hey E, sorry for your Garmin loss, but glad you are moving forward and looking at replacing her with another one already Wink

This was a high volume running week for me with total mileage of 54 miles, and the highlight was today's long training run of 4 hours and 24 miles.  I'm now certain that I can finish the marathon and the big question will be if I can achieve my time goal.  

Mark, I had to make sure I could go longer than 32K after you scared me about the bad Chicago neighborhoods around the 32K distance!

Ernesto and friends, in regards to the  30 day Nov. challenge, wouldn't it be more fun to have to complete a daily workout over 30 min each day (Swim, Bike, Run, strength training, either oudoor or indoor), especially since we are a tri group!  I'm not sure I'm going to be up for running everyday after all the mileage I'm building up right now!

2011-09-10 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3680600

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-09-10 8:15 PM

Ernesto and friends, in regards to the  30 day Nov. challenge, wouldn't it be more fun to have to complete a daily workout over 30 min each day (Swim, Bike, Run, strength training, either oudoor or indoor), especially since we are a tri group!  I'm not sure I'm going to be up for running everyday after all the mileage I'm building up right now!

HEAR, HEAR!
2011-09-10 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Chris, listen to the doc and put the run in wherever Ernesto says.  I too went to the sports doc this week for a sharp stabbing pain running down my right hamstring when I sit or drive for more than about 2 hours.  I've had it for several months and just thought it was from a mountain bike injury.   I start some physical therapy and that deep tissue massage stuff next week.  They tell me I can still do my workouts, but we'll have to see.

Jen, go easy on yourself.  You moved across the country to a higher altitude and you have a husband with a new job and kids in a new school.  Do what you can when you can and don't stress about it.

Mark, sorry about the pain in the foot.  You are smart to take care of it first.

Alfredo, my OLY is in 3 weeks also.  Can I be a tri-dudette?

Gabe, we all knew you could finish the marathon.  Glad you finally figured it out :-) BTW, anytime I even think about skipping a planned workout, I remember your signature line.  I don't want to be beaten because I didn't train like I should have.  So thank you for that.

Ernesto, sorry about the Garmin.  It's amazing how addicted we become to that thing.  If you need to analyze something, feel free to look at my workouts.  Glad you are enjoying the new bike.

And lastly, I agree with Gabe and Chris.  Let's do 30 days, 30 min, 30 tri-related workouts for our November challenge.  I'm in for that one.  Can we vote to overrule our fearless leader or is this a dictatorship?

2011-09-10 8:39 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie : My post was poorly worded and I've edited based on your comment. I am definitely going to follow my docs advice and am not running until I see him again on Monday. My question is what then. I will have missed my last 16 miler by then. So I want to know whether to try to make it up or not. Thanks for helping me clear up my confusing first attempt at asking the question.
2011-09-10 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3680591

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-09-10 8:06 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-10 6:04 PM Garmin died today, burial services to be held tomorrow. Tried calling a "medium" to retrieve my file from the other world but nothing...

Oh, I would hate that. Sure the roadies didn't sabotage it. You know how they hate triathletes! Amazon has 305's for $138. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B... But enough about you, let's talk about me. My marathon is three weeks from tomorrow, and I have a question, but here's the setup. My running program has me doing the following from here on in. MP means Marathon pace goal (which for me is 7:50). MP+60 means 60 seconds slower than MP. MP-10 means 10 seconds faster. Week 3: 56 miles Sunday, 16 miles at MP+60 Monday, 6 easy miles Tuesday, 3x2 miles at MP-10, total of 9 miles with warmup, jogs in between, and cooldown. Wednesday, OFF Thursday, 10 miles at MP Friday, 6 easy miles Saturday, 9 easy miles Week 2: 51 miles Sunday, 10 miles at MP+60 Monday, 8 easy miles Tuesday, 3x2 miles at MP-10, total of 9 miles with warmup, jogs in between, and cooldown. Wednesday, OFF Thursday, 10 miles at MP Friday, 7 easy miles Saturday, 7 easy miles Week 1: 34 miles Sunday, 8 easy miles Monday, 6 easy miles Tuesday, 5 easy miles Wednesday, OFF Thursday, 6 easy miles Friday, 6 easy miles Saturday, 3 easy miles Week 0: Sunday: RACE Here's the dilemma. I've done 3 long runs so far (15 or 16 miles) on the Sundays of weeks 5, 7 and 9. I'm scheduled for the last one tomorrow. But my doctor wants me to not run until I've had one more treatment - Monday at 5 pm. (BTW, whatever he did seems to have worked. Ankles feel a million times better). I'm going to take his advice and not run until then. But that means I miss one of my four long runs. So how should I adjust my schedule? Should I just jump back into the schedule on monday night and skip the last long run, or substitute one of the other runs for a 16 miler. And if so, when.
Skipping a long run is no big deal in YOUR case, your mileage base is there and any alteration of the schedule this close wouldn't be my advice.

Just relax my friend, because the taper madness is about to set in...

One other thing my friend, your Tuesday workout is very intense, make sure your injury is 100 percent healed. A nice warm up would be great.

2011-09-10 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

About the challenge, it is fine to switch it to multisport if you want. The question is: what will break a tie?

Another thing for Jen, Aki, Mark or any of you if you are battling some sort of setback due to time constraints, injury, etc. DO NOT DESPAIR, we endurance freaks are very addicted to exercising and it is easy to feel depressed and/or frustrated when unable to workout at all or even when our schedule is altered/reduced.

I experienced this myself about two to three weeks ago, training next to zero. This last week I've been able to get back in a routine and I have forgotten everything so fast...Today I had one of the strongest rides of my life, and two weeks ago I was drowning in self pity.

2011-09-10 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3680718

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Thanks Ernesto.  

I am happy that I am now on a very structured schedule.  Knowing that running above the MAF target takes stress of me mentally.  The temp fluctuations are insane.  It was 42 degrees yesterday morning and I ran once the temp was up to 48.  I went to the pool to swim and it was 69. and the sun was blazing.  I don't have cold gear but that is on my shopping list.  

I did want to share my Anniversary gift from my husband.  Definitely not traditional.  It was a brand new "Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro" trainer with the winter training kit.  I am so excited!!!!!!

As for the Challenge. I'm in!!!!  

2011-09-11 1:21 PM

User image

Master

I had a very interesting run yesterday - a day of firsts.  I paced a good friend on his last 16.67 mile loop of a 50 mile ultramarathon (Run Woodstock in Hell Michigan).  The firsts for me were my first trail run, 1st time running over 15 miles, first time running in mud above my ankles at times, and first time pacing someone.  It had rained about 12 hours straight before I got there and Hell is an accurate word to describe the trail conditions.  It was a hilly run and some of the hills were so slippery you had to pull yourself up by going sapling to sapling.

My friend completed the run in 10:55...our last loop was in 3:37.  That last loop pace was faster than his total average and I like to think that my pacing and motivation had something to do with it.  He did all the hard work and I had a blast.  I was somewhat amazed by the amount of fluids I put down - somewhere between 80 and 96 ounces.  Combination of water with electrolytes (my mix) and then gatorade when my own mix ran out.

The best thing is that my knee held up fine and doesn't feel anything but a bit sore today - no pain.  Still plan on seeing doctor.

What folks say about the ultramarathon community is correct - what a great supportive group of people.  Everyone out there was first class!  Not sure I am convinced to ever try an Ultra Marathon.  I was ready to do a second loop, no way I would have wanted to do three loops.

2011-09-11 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3681071

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-09-11 1:21 PM

I had a very interesting run yesterday - a day of firsts.  I paced a good friend on his last 16.67 mile loop of a 50 mile ultramarathon (Run Woodstock in Hell Michigan).  The firsts for me were my first trail run, 1st time running over 15 miles, first time running in mud above my ankles at times, and first time pacing someone.  It had rained about 12 hours straight before I got there and Hell is an accurate word to describe the trail conditions.  It was a hilly run and some of the hills were so slippery you had to pull yourself up by going sapling to sapling.

My friend completed the run in 10:55...our last loop was in 3:37.  That last loop pace was faster than his total average and I like to think that my pacing and motivation had something to do with it.  He did all the hard work and I had a blast.  I was somewhat amazed by the amount of fluids I put down - somewhere between 80 and 96 ounces.  Combination of water with electrolytes (my mix) and then gatorade when my own mix ran out.

The best thing is that my knee held up fine and doesn't feel anything but a bit sore today - no pain.  Still plan on seeing doctor.

What folks say about the ultramarathon community is correct - what a great supportive group of people.  Everyone out there was first class!  Not sure I am convinced to ever try an Ultra Marathon.  I was ready to do a second loop, no way I would have wanted to do three loops.

Very cool. I'm worried that ultras might be like crack, however. You get hooked.
2011-09-11 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3681200

User image

Master
older2533 - 2011-09-11 3:37 PM
dangremond - 2011-09-11 1:21 PM

Very cool. I'm worried that ultras might be like crack, however. You get hooked.

Not sure about the crack comparison. My friend at the end was never doing another one...but I guess we all know that is a lie.  I definitely would like to try one...but really feel that  need to build a solid base over 2 to 3 years before even considering it.  I actually think the bad weather and hills probably saved him by forcing him to walk more and run slower.  My understanding is that is the key...

2011-09-11 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Now this is funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q

Hey! my Garmin came back to life (at least long enough to get the files). Have a nice week y'all!

2011-09-12 3:18 AM
in reply to: #3681713

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
ernestov - 2011-09-11 10:09 PM

Now this is funny!

Hey! my Garmin came back to life (at least long enough to get the files). Have a nice week y'all!

LOL, I've seen it before, but it is still brilliant! I guess one would have to do both to rise above the joke... hmmm.

2011-09-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3681713

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Now this is funny!

Oh, that is funny. This one was shown as being related. I love the part at the beginning about pool running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MvFbORKEk&feature=related

Edited by older2533 2011-09-12 7:50 AM

2011-09-12 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3681806

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-09-12 3:18 AM

Now this is funny!

LOL, I've seen it before, but it is still brilliant! I guess one would have to do both to rise above the joke... hmmm.

I almost died laughing during the part where he says he cut off his testicles so he could run uphill faster! Laughing
2011-09-12 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3680616

El Paso
jdiis - 2011-09-10 8:32 PM

Chris, listen to the doc and put the run in wherever Ernesto says.  I too went to the sports doc this week for a sharp stabbing pain running down my right hamstring when I sit or drive for more than about 2 hours.  I've had it for several months and just thought it was from a mountain bike injury.   I start some physical therapy and that deep tissue massage stuff next week.  They tell me I can still do my workouts, but we'll have to see.

Jen, go easy on yourself.  You moved across the country to a higher altitude and you have a husband with a new job and kids in a new school.  Do what you can when you can and don't stress about it.

Mark, sorry about the pain in the foot.  You are smart to take care of it first.

Alfredo, my OLY is in 3 weeks also.  Can I be a tri-dudette?

Gabe, we all knew you could finish the marathon.  Glad you finally figured it out :-) BTW, anytime I even think about skipping a planned workout, I remember your signature line.  I don't want to be beaten because I didn't train like I should have.  So thank you for that.

Ernesto, sorry about the Garmin.  It's amazing how addicted we become to that thing.  If you need to analyze something, feel free to look at my workouts.  Glad you are enjoying the new bike.

And lastly, I agree with Gabe and Chris.  Let's do 30 days, 30 min, 30 tri-related workouts for our November challenge.  I'm in for that one.  Can we vote to overrule our fearless leader or is this a dictatorship?

Yes Ms. Jakie, you ALREADY Are a TRI-DUDETTE.. with podium finishes!  Woowooo

2011-09-12 7:16 PM

Just back from cruise! drank way too much ate too much but did work out on ship twice (4 day cruise) snorkeld and played life guard in bahamas! Did do a body comp analysis  in fitness center (about an hour test) and was pleased with the results! Now to get rid of this cruise weight (tri i 3 weeks)

2011-09-14 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Choice of Rides

Ernesto, (or anyone else)

You told me to ride at least one long ride each week.  Last weekend I rode 23 miles with a 1500 foot elevation gain.  I have the chance to ride that ride again or I could ride a 35 to 40 mile ride with probably 1000 foot gain.  Which would you recommend?  I would choose the hilly ride because I think I need more practice on the hills and they make me stronger on the flat.  But whatever you say always seems to work for my benefit.

Edited by jdiis 2011-09-14 5:52 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84