BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-25 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4673532

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 10:31 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:30 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 2:16 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:07 PM
bcraht - 2013-03-26 1:52 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 9:17 AM

So, as you said, doing the run/walk is a pacing strategy. Does this mean it's something you want to practice throughout all of your different workouts or is it something you more just want to use in a longer run/race?

I guess I really don't know much about it other than when it's used as a longer distance race strategy (IE walking through the water stations.)

Maybe someone can point me to something that discusses the philosophy?

This  is from Galloways website.  I guess I am just a little bit at a loss of where to go/start.  Other than when I first started running, I have never been away from running this long (so that I feel like I am starting completely from the beginning).  I did a program through the Running Room for my first (well, only) marathon, and they do run 10/walk 1 min for all runs (their take on run/walk).  I took a bit of time off after the mary, then when I went back to training, I sort of 'forgot' about the walk breaks and ran only.  That worked fine.  Now coming back from injury, my PT wanted me to start back with run/walk just to ease in.  She is fine with going to full runs ultimately, but I did pretty well with run walk so am considering going back to it.  I dunno.  

I would like someone to send me to the website www.kirstenscomingbackfrominjuryrunprogram.com

So start back with run/walk. Do whatever kind of a ratio lets you do the whole distance/time easy, doing the run part easy and the walk part easy to moderate. The exact ratio really isn't important (unless you are truly doing a Galloway plan for a specific race to the T, which you're not).

This part I do agree with Jeff on, though; if you're going to do a run/walk ratio that can be broken down to a shorter-run but equivalent whole-minute ratio, then do the shorter-run one.

For example: rather than 10:2, do 5:1. (I don't think I saw any of those in your examples though).

His programs just seem SO minimal. 

I get what he is saying about the walk breaks/ratios. And that is totally fine. But I don't think he is setting anyone up for success. If he spent more time having you actually run, I doubt you would need as much walking. I dunno ... I don't like it at all. If you are not ready to commit to the demand of marathon training time, don't do a marathon. 

Kirsten, I am not speaking to you. Just to his marathon plan. So don't get me wrong.

You need to do what you need to do in order to stay healthy and progressively ramp up your volume.

WAIDAMINIT Kirsten is training for a marathon?! I thought she was just trying to get back into running?

The thing about Galloway plans--I think I've said this before--that if you're using them to train for especially the longer races like HM or mary, they are a COMPREHENSIVE PLAN and absolutely the only way to (safely) get there with as minimal as his training is, is to do them with the *very* generous run/walk ratios and long-run paces (that get progressively SLOWER) that he recommends.

No, she's not but I don't think I can speak to a program (any part of one) that I disagree with so much. I think it's awful. 

No she's not! 

So, Salty, do you disagree with the run:walk ratios?  Or the run:walk philosophy? 

2013-03-25 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4673535

User image

Master
melbo55 - 2013-03-25 10:33 AM

What a beautiful spring day! The sun is shining, the birds are singing, buds are popping ... oh wait, here's what really happened:

it really is like that here.  Blue sky, sun shiny, saw my first cherry blossoms this am kinda day.  Sorry....

2013-03-25 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4673532

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 2:31 AM

No, she's not but I don't think I can speak to a program (any part of one) that I disagree with so much. I think it's awful. 

Well, run-walk is just a pacing strategy, as I said. Galloway certainly didn't invent it; he just happened to popularize it because it's (necessarily) a critical part of his running programs.

It's a less-critical but oft-mentioned part of many running programs.

2013-03-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4673574

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2013-03-25 12:49 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 10:31 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:30 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 2:16 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:07 PM
bcraht - 2013-03-26 1:52 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 9:17 AM

So, as you said, doing the run/walk is a pacing strategy. Does this mean it's something you want to practice throughout all of your different workouts or is it something you more just want to use in a longer run/race?

I guess I really don't know much about it other than when it's used as a longer distance race strategy (IE walking through the water stations.)

Maybe someone can point me to something that discusses the philosophy?

This  is from Galloways website.  I guess I am just a little bit at a loss of where to go/start.  Other than when I first started running, I have never been away from running this long (so that I feel like I am starting completely from the beginning).  I did a program through the Running Room for my first (well, only) marathon, and they do run 10/walk 1 min for all runs (their take on run/walk).  I took a bit of time off after the mary, then when I went back to training, I sort of 'forgot' about the walk breaks and ran only.  That worked fine.  Now coming back from injury, my PT wanted me to start back with run/walk just to ease in.  She is fine with going to full runs ultimately, but I did pretty well with run walk so am considering going back to it.  I dunno.  

I would like someone to send me to the website www.kirstenscomingbackfrominjuryrunprogram.com

So start back with run/walk. Do whatever kind of a ratio lets you do the whole distance/time easy, doing the run part easy and the walk part easy to moderate. The exact ratio really isn't important (unless you are truly doing a Galloway plan for a specific race to the T, which you're not).

This part I do agree with Jeff on, though; if you're going to do a run/walk ratio that can be broken down to a shorter-run but equivalent whole-minute ratio, then do the shorter-run one.

For example: rather than 10:2, do 5:1. (I don't think I saw any of those in your examples though).

His programs just seem SO minimal. 

I get what he is saying about the walk breaks/ratios. And that is totally fine. But I don't think he is setting anyone up for success. If he spent more time having you actually run, I doubt you would need as much walking. I dunno ... I don't like it at all. If you are not ready to commit to the demand of marathon training time, don't do a marathon. 

Kirsten, I am not speaking to you. Just to his marathon plan. So don't get me wrong.

You need to do what you need to do in order to stay healthy and progressively ramp up your volume.

WAIDAMINIT Kirsten is training for a marathon?! I thought she was just trying to get back into running?

The thing about Galloway plans--I think I've said this before--that if you're using them to train for especially the longer races like HM or mary, they are a COMPREHENSIVE PLAN and absolutely the only way to (safely) get there with as minimal as his training is, is to do them with the *very* generous run/walk ratios and long-run paces (that get progressively SLOWER) that he recommends.

No she's not! 

So, Salty, do you disagree with the run:walk ratios?  Or the run:walk philosophy? 

I just think he doesn't have anywhere near the volume required. I don't think that's relevant to you because you seem to be only following the run/walk but I would like to see a different program that uses the run/walk than his. If run/walk is faster for "nearly everyone" as he says, I'd like to see a solid plan. 

I really can't speak to run/walk in general. I just don't know enough about it. It sounds like Yanti can better guide you.

In terms of endurance events, what does concern me a little is the psychological aspect of it. I feel like it would be really hard to resist the urge to stop when things get tough.

2013-03-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4673528

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2013-03-26 2:29 AM

JANYNE IS A ROCK STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get to try the Clover coffee because of a snowstorm in Denver Yell

I didn't get to run this weekend because of a snowstorm in Denver Yell

I am in a lousy taper-PMS mood Yell

I would love some yummy Indonesian coffee Frown

I leave for O'side in 3 days Undecided

My MIL is a saint

All's well that ends well

And that is a super pic! I also liked the pics of your homemade goodies.

2013-03-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4673583

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:52 PM

Well, run-walk is just a pacing strategy, as I said. Galloway certainly didn't invent it; he just happened to popularize it because it's (necessarily) a critical part of his running programs.

So, is it a pacing strategy meant to use for all training runs within a program?

2013-03-25 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all, I just wanted to share this vid that is going to be on our local PBS station. Its a behind the scenes tour of parts of our zoo. I am not in it until the end when the host gets freaked out after being "nearly bitten" by one of my salamanders (even then, its just me laughing at him. ---they cut out my little informative talk about Cali Tiger Salamanders). Anyway, please enjoy! Smile

http://vids.kvie.org/video/2354864727

(you might have to highlight then click the address above--I still haven't quite mastered the linkey-poo thing...)

2013-03-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4673586

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 2:54 AM

I just think he doesn't have anywhere near the volume required. I don't think that's relevant to you because you seem to be only following the run/walk but I would like to see a different program that uses the run/walk than his. If run/walk is faster for "nearly everyone" as he says, I'd like to see a solid plan. 

I really can't speak to run/walk in general. I just don't know enough about it. It sounds like Yanti can better guide you.

In terms of endurance events, what does concern me a little is the psychological aspect of it. I feel like it would be really hard to resist the urge to stop when things get tough.

I *love* Jeff as a person (yes, he personally answers my e-mails, enduranceho just like Jo here), but I have mixed feelings about his programs. A lot of what he says REALLY needs to be qualified, such as "nearly everyone" means "nearly everyone who'd actually be trying this program."

There's no other program I know of that can get true beginners, say, off the couch to safely train for and finish a marathon in 6 months. I've personally seen a few thousand and peer-coached a few hundred to do so. Where it goes VERY, VERY wrong is if you don't follow the entire program to a T and when in the slightest doubt adjust downward. Essentially, you just cannot push in any way, or miss any runs, and expect not to get injured.

I hate to put it quite this way, but a marathon--if you're willing to go slowly enough and there's essentially no time limit, like with Honolulu--just isn't that big a deal. "Marching" or essentially taking long brisk walks is a very popular worldwide sport (especially in Europe) and a lot of folks do around marathon-length marches without much training, or training consisting of taking brisk walks, sometimes even long ones or long hikes, but nothing close to the distance.

If you want to mostly run a marathon, or are doing one with a time limit, or have some kind of time goal in mind, then it starts to be a very big deal.

Then again, Jeff does have programs for time goals (not for first timers, not even really for 2nd timers) and I've seen a few people do very well with them. That is, anyone I know who has tried them. Very few people actually try them, and they are quite different both to his "regular" running programs as well as to other marathon-for-time programs.

2013-03-25 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4673592

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 2:57 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:52 PM

So, is it a pacing strategy meant to use for all training runs within a program?

Depends on the program and who's using it for what purpose. For example, Hal Higdon says it's a (need to look up his exact language) perfectly viable strategy, especially for beginners. If I'm not mistaken (I might be), Pfitzinger also mentions run-walk as a good strategy for those returning from injury. If it wasn't him, it was some other well-known and widely-used marathon programmer.

In terms of execution (not training), a lot of coaches will recommend it to try to get through an IM marathon (maybe even HIM half) if your run training has been sub-optimal. They might do so for a stand-alone marathon, but the stakes tend to be a lot lower with those (there's always another marathon, you don't have to sign up for them ages in advance, travel costs, etc.) so most wise people would advise (and take such advice) to give it a miss.

2013-03-25 1:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser
GAAAAAH my diatribes on run/walk are preventing me from doing really important things like finishing my race report and looking at Kate's video! (which I am doing in order to procrastinate doing *REALLY* important things like organizing all my dad's paperwork--a few reams of it--for meeting a potential family lawyer tomorrow). That's just the first meeting of the day. There are three more.
2013-03-25 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4673586

User image

Master
Asalzwed

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=3972

Just curious what you think of the 4:30 program on the above website?

**I am just interested in your thoughts, good or bad.  I always learn something from hearing others opinions.  I have no emotional attachment to the training program!

2013-03-25 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4673444

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:50 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-25 11:39 AM

Running Question...

I am now following my "planned training" and have been swimming / biking / and running.  Had a great week of training - and am running further than my plan calls for (comfortably) and cycling a bit more also.  No worries there.  

I want to run my final pure running race (The Eugene 1/2 marathon) on 4/28/13.  This race finishes at Hayward Field (home of the Olympic Trials) on the University of Oregon Campus.  Since I bleed Yellow & Green, I've been looking forward to this race for a while. I plan to try and PR this race.  

I have put together the following RUN training plan.  I will be doing this along side my bike and swimming workouts that are scheduled in my "planned" workouts.  I need to know if this is plan I put together is crazy (builds to fast), or doable... Thanks for your help.  

Week of:MonTuesWedThursFriSatSundayTotal Miles

3/18/20132.54.66 4.12 6.4 17.68
3/25/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 825
4/1/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 926
4/8/20134 (recovery)6 2 (speed)6 1028
4/15/20135 (recovery)6 3 (speed)5 1231
4/22/20133 (recovery)4 32 Race Day12

Hmmm, I don't know that I would "plan" for a PR with only 6 weeks to train, also while balancing tri training. Not to say it won't happen but that's just not a lot of time. What have you been doing since the HM? I'd be more inclined to run 6 days a week, too. But, there is the push and pull of triathlon training here.

I also find the most success in HMs to have long runs in the 15-18 mile range. But I don't think you have time to build to those kind of distances.

I have a lot of teammates doing that race so I am very familiar with their training programs. 

*You know that the strides are just tacked on to the end of a workout, too, right? (I see you have them thrown in there)

*What do you mean by "speed"?

My first concern would be the tightness in your calf that caused issues in your last race.  I would then take a look at what your ultimate objective is and work backwards from there, trying to keep injury free and not overdo any one thing, keeping all training in line with one another.  Use races as measuring tools between now and the final objective. If you keep moving forward patiently, you will reach your ultimate result.

I have found when I try to reach too many objectives at the same time, I end up injured and frustrated. Neither is fun.

2013-03-25 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4673626

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2013-03-25 1:19 PM
Asalzwed

**I am just interested in your thoughts, good or bad.  I always learn something from hearing others opinions.  I have no emotional attachment to the training program!

Yep! See, that is much more of a plan that I would expect to see for an athlete like you.

And I like that progression from tempo, to hills, to fartlek and lots of race pace as the race nears. This is a nice plan.

Any weaknesses I see in the plan are covered by the "first-timer" aspect. Also, my brain is going back and forth in Ks and Miles but I think it's just fine. 

2013-03-25 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4673651

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2013-03-25 1:34 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:50 PM
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-25 11:39 AM

Running Question...

I am now following my "planned training" and have been swimming / biking / and running.  Had a great week of training - and am running further than my plan calls for (comfortably) and cycling a bit more also.  No worries there.  

I want to run my final pure running race (The Eugene 1/2 marathon) on 4/28/13.  This race finishes at Hayward Field (home of the Olympic Trials) on the University of Oregon Campus.  Since I bleed Yellow & Green, I've been looking forward to this race for a while. I plan to try and PR this race.  

I have put together the following RUN training plan.  I will be doing this along side my bike and swimming workouts that are scheduled in my "planned" workouts.  I need to know if this is plan I put together is crazy (builds to fast), or doable... Thanks for your help.  

Week of:MonTuesWedThursFriSatSundayTotal Miles

3/18/20132.54.66 4.12 6.4 17.68
3/25/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 825
4/1/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 926
4/8/20134 (recovery)6 2 (speed)6 1028
4/15/20135 (recovery)6 3 (speed)5 1231
4/22/20133 (recovery)4 32 Race Day12

Hmmm, I don't know that I would "plan" for a PR with only 6 weeks to train, also while balancing tri training. Not to say it won't happen but that's just not a lot of time. What have you been doing since the HM? I'd be more inclined to run 6 days a week, too. But, there is the push and pull of triathlon training here.

I also find the most success in HMs to have long runs in the 15-18 mile range. But I don't think you have time to build to those kind of distances.

I have a lot of teammates doing that race so I am very familiar with their training programs. 

*You know that the strides are just tacked on to the end of a workout, too, right? (I see you have them thrown in there)

*What do you mean by "speed"?

My first concern would be the tightness in your calf that caused issues in your last race.  I would then take a look at what your ultimate objective is and work backwards from there, trying to keep injury free and not overdo any one thing, keeping all training in line with one another.  Use races as measuring tools between now and the final objective. If you keep moving forward patiently, you will reach your ultimate result.

I have found when I try to reach too many objectives at the same time, I end up injured and frustrated. Neither is fun.

And the wise man speaks again. Great points! 

2013-03-25 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4673622

User image

Seattle

TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:17 PM GAAAAAH my diatribes on run/walk are preventing me from doing really important things like finishing my race report and looking at Kate's video! (which I am doing in order to procrastinate doing *REALLY* important things like organizing all my dad's paperwork--a few reams of it--for meeting a potential family lawyer tomorrow). That's just the first meeting of the day. There are three more.

I read this as diabetes and got all sorts of confused. 

2013-03-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4673656

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:37 PM

TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:17 PM GAAAAAH my diatribes on run/walk are preventing me from doing really important things like finishing my race report and looking at Kate's video! (which I am doing in order to procrastinate doing *REALLY* important things like organizing all my dad's paperwork--a few reams of it--for meeting a potential family lawyer tomorrow). That's just the first meeting of the day. There are three more.

I read this as diabetes and got all sorts of confused. 

Me TOO!!!!!!!!!

2013-03-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4673528

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
rrrunner - 2013-03-25 1:29 PM

I leave for O'side in 3 days Undecided

My MIL is a saint

Awesome and Awesomer!!!!!!

2013-03-25 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4673026

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Richardsdrr - 2013-03-25 7:51 AM http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Iu6Oi5MUAcM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch... of the swim. Certainly looks like a cluster f... Around those buoys. As if people were getting swept into each other.

It's like people are swimming in both (all) directions -- how can they not run into each other.

I could never swim in that. I get a little seasick just watching the footage. I have a very weak stomach or weak inner ear or something.

2013-03-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4673622

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TriAya - 2013-03-25 2:17 PM GAAAAAH my diatribes on run/walk are preventing me from doing really important things like finishing my race report and looking at Kate's video! (which I am doing in order to procrastinate doing *REALLY* important things like organizing all my dad's paperwork--a few reams of it--for meeting a potential family lawyer tomorrow). That's just the first meeting of the day. There are three more.

Someone needs to focus

in reply to: #4673682

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 1:47 PM

Richardsdrr - 2013-03-25 7:51 AM http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Iu6Oi5MUAcM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch... of the swim. Certainly looks like a cluster f... Around those buoys. As if people were getting swept into each other.

It's like people are swimming in both (all) directions -- how can they not run into each other.

I could never swim in that. I get a little seasick just watching the footage. I have a very weak stomach or weak inner ear or something.

That looks difficult for sure but looks like a TON of fun. I love swimming in the ocean. Maybe that is the surf part of me. 

in reply to: #4673652

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 3:35 AM
Asalzwed

Yep! See, that is much more of a plan that I would expect to see for an athlete like you.

And I like that progression from tempo, to hills, to fartlek and lots of race pace as the race nears. This is a nice plan.

Any weaknesses I see in the plan are covered by the "first-timer" aspect. Also, my brain is going back and forth in Ks and Miles but I think it's just fine. 

What she said. I didn't look at it but if she says it's fine, it's fine.

WTF is my brother sending me a text NOW? At 2am?

2013-03-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4673689

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:48 PM
Asalzwed

Uh that really does seem like the best time to reach you.

2013-03-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4673686

User image

Melon Presser
cdban66 - 2013-03-26 3:48 AM

TriAya - 2013-03-25 2:17 PM GAAAAAH my diatribes on run/walk are preventing me from doing really important things like finishing my race report and looking at Kate's video! (which I am doing in order to procrastinate doing *REALLY* important things like organizing all my dad's paperwork--a few reams of it--for meeting a potential family lawyer tomorrow). That's just the first meeting of the day. There are three more.

Someone needs to focus

Huh. Funny, THAT'S what my brother was texting me about.

2013-03-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4673691

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 3:49 AM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 1:48 PM
Asalzwed

Uh that really does seem like the best time to reach you.

I'm going to eat another Pop Tart and chew on that.

2013-03-25 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85