BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2863326

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!

dharris13 - 2010-05-17 12:08 PM
phxphotog - . I'm not a very patient person and I want things NOW and that's just not going to happen in triathlons.

Yeah i can definetely understand your sentiment. Good things are worth waiting for

Very good comment and so true! 

2010-05-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2863337

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Kath2163 - 2010-05-17 12:11 PM
dharris13 - 2010-05-17 10:08 AM
phxphotog - . I'm not a very patient person and I want things NOW and that's just not going to happen in triathlons.

Yeah i can definetely understand your sentiment. Good things are worth waiting for

So true!

On the flip side... if you are patient and just train consistently and smartly, a breakthrough is not uncommon in this sport.  I felt "stalled" for a long time with my weight and times in endurance sport...

Then I switched up my training to a much smarter protocol and for a while it didn't feel like I was making any progress at all.  I trusted in the science and didn't go hard to prove anything to myself in training.  And then on race day I told my body to go harder/faster and it did.  I'm in the middle of crushing PRs in every distance I race, but it is on the heels of months of training that at times felt conservative.  My blog title was "the discipline to go slow" for a while because every workout was an exercise in holding back... which just felt so wrong from the "I want it now" perspective which deceives you into thinking you need to kill it in every workout.

Anyway - have the patience that is so unnatural... learn to believe in it... and then there will come a day where NOW you have it, and you'll wonder how it happened.
2010-05-17 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2863335

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

dharris13 - 2010-05-17 12:10 PM Whats on tap for training today?

I did my longest swim to date this morning. It was a 4550 continuous swim. Later i will be doing a 90 min ride.

Great job on the swim!! Enjoy the ride!!!

Just a short run for me, I have been having some arch pain (I think maybe PF?) during my runs the last couple of weeks.  I went to the local running store to see if they could help.  We are trying some Super Feet inserts so I wanted to try them on the treadmill to see if they helped.  Zero pain so I'll try them again Wednesday on a longer run. 

Happy training everyone!!!

2010-05-17 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2863508

Expert
kenj - 2010-05-17 1:10 PM

dharris13 - 2010-05-17 12:10 PM Whats on tap for training today?

I did my longest swim to date this morning. It was a 4550 continuous swim. Later i will be doing a 90 min ride.

Great job on the swim!! Enjoy the ride!!!

Just a short run for me, I have been having some arch pain (I think maybe PF?) during my runs the last couple of weeks.  I went to the local running store to see if they could help.  We are trying some Super Feet inserts so I wanted to try them on the treadmill to see if they helped.  Zero pain so I'll try them again Wednesday on a longer run. 

Happy training everyone!!!

Thanks. Keep us posted on how those work out for you. Zero pain is a great start!!
2010-05-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2863504

Expert
JoshKaptur - 2010-05-17 1:09 PM
Kath2163 - 2010-05-17 12:11 PM
dharris13 - 2010-05-17 10:08 AM

So true!

On the flip side... if you are patient and just train consistently and smartly, a breakthrough is not uncommon in this sport.  I felt "stalled" for a long time with my weight and times in endurance sport...

Then I switched up my training to a much smarter protocol and for a while it didn't feel like I was making any progress at all.  I trusted in the science and didn't go hard to prove anything to myself in training.  And then on race day I told my body to go harder/faster and it did.  I'm in the middle of crushing PRs in every distance I race, but it is on the heels of months of training that at times felt conservative.  My blog title was "the discipline to go slow" for a while because every workout was an exercise in holding back... which just felt so wrong from the "I want it now" perspective which deceives you into thinking you need to kill it in every workout.

Anyway - have the patience that is so unnatural... learn to believe in it... and then there will come a day where NOW you have it, and you'll wonder how it happened.

Great post Josh. Thanks for some insight. we all know how well ur training has been working!!

2010-05-17 4:12 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
So I thought I had my nutrition all sorted out when it came to training and racing (pre-race nutrition, not during race... always working on that).  Then I tried to run that 5.3mile leg of the Colfax Marathon relay and ran into a situation I've encountered during training.  My nutrition seems to be solid/sound during long endurance efforts of training and racing, I feel like I can go forever at those lower effort levels.

But lately when I've been trying to push the pace and do a shorter workout (or in this instance the relay leg) I've been starting to have my upper stomach cramp up.  The same thing happened a week or two ago during one of my usual Tuesday night runs with a group. I tried to push the pace, get a little speed work in, and my stomach decided it didn't want to let it happen.  Both, during the training and race I pushed anyway, but I know it slowed me down compared to what I should be able to do.  I know 6:56 pace for 5.3miles during the relay is respectable, but I was aiming for 6:45, maybe even 6:40 with the last mile being closer to low 6s.  I did get the last half mile to be a 6:11 pace, but that was after I suffered through the first 4 miles.  After 4 miles the pain seemed to subside away a bit and I was able to "get back to normal" for that last 1.3miles.

At first I'd think it could have been from pre-race nerves.  I was MUCH more nervous about this race than other races I run.  I blame that on the fact that this time I didn't want to disappoint my teammates, where normally it's a solo effort.  That team thing really adds a lot of anxiety to not want to let them down.  But since it has also happened recently during a training run, I'm hesitant to think that's the sole cause... perhaps I was also nervous with the training run since it was getting close to the race and I wanted to be sure I could run that fast still?

So I'm trying to figure out what it could be... was it something I ate that morning?  Was it really just nerves? was it a lack of calorie and nutrition intake the week leading up to those days? I do feel I've been struggling to get the nutrition my body requires as I continue to increase my workload.  I seem to be living life at a higher level of fatigue the last few weeks than I have been over the last few months.  Is it nutrition or is it that I'm approaching a point of over-training and need to take it easier for a week or two and maybe drop back to my levels of training I was at two months ago?

I hate when a race doesn't go completely as planned and you're left with knowledge you don't know how to interpret and learn from.  The information and data is in front of me, yet I am struggling to make a decision on how to correct it.

Anyway... just thought I'd throw that out there.... maybe others have had similar situations in the past and could offer guidance towards what approach to take... even if it's what approach NOT to take.

2010-05-17 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2863508

2010-05-17 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2863504

2010-05-17 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2861997

2010-05-17 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2863335

2010-05-17 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2862136

2010-05-17 5:20 PM

2010-05-17 6:29 PM

Expert
Suns - Lakers are on tonight at 6pm so I'll have to schedule my workout around that. You know, priorities.

Probably going to run tonight and try to keep the mileage around 12-15 miles a week. I could totally feel the difference at yesterdays race that I had been run focused for the last three weeks. Even though my stomach revolted, my legs and breathing seemed decent.

My goal for the 1/2 IM is 10 min miles so it should take me just over 2 hours for the 1/2 marathon. I still have 22 weeks until SOMA so my goal might be off either way. I have 2 weeks until my 20 week training program starts.

Dylan...great swim today. Should make IM day seem easy.
2010-05-17 9:22 PM

Master
Dunedin
Jeepers! You guys have been chatty!!  I don't know where to begin on commenting on your posts!
2010-05-17 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2864271

Master
Millersville, MD
PennState - 2010-05-17 6:14 PM

yes x2 excellent post. Josh you would be an excellent mentor imho. You should really consider doing a group in the future

Aw shucks.

Truth be told... I'm VERY prone to paying what I call "stupid tax" when it comes to these things.  I've learned a lot from my mistakes and from really getting self-aware of what was happening.  But I still have a TON to learn about endurance sports training... I struggle so much with how to do all 3 sports when 90% of what I know is from a pure running background.  Tons of variables to consider.

That's why, for now, I'm happy to be a mentee who throws in a bit of perspective at times.  There's something to be said for proving you've got it, and then sticking around and having it for a while, before you put yourself out there as a resource.  I'm just coming into my own after years of faltering... and trying to remember that it only takes one stupid move to derail that train.  And historically, I'm prone to full scale meltdowns when the train derails... massive weight loss and conversion to total couch potato.  But I think... I really do... that this time I've got the fever.

Speaking of which.... more cowbell please.

disclaimier - sorry for the seemingly self-absorbed rambling.  I put it out there because I think that self-awareness is one of the hardest parts about being a self-coached long course triathlete.  We're so good at lying to ourselves about what we're capable of, where we are, how we feel, etc.

2010-05-17 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2864805

Pro
Canandaigua NY

JoshKaptur - 2010-05-17 11:19 PM
PennState - 2010-05-17 6:14 PM

yes x2 excellent post. Josh you would be an excellent mentor imho. You should really consider doing a group in the future

Aw shucks.

Truth be told... I'm VERY prone to paying what I call "stupid tax" when it comes to these things.  I've learned a lot from my mistakes and from really getting self-aware of what was happening.  But I still have a TON to learn about endurance sports training... I struggle so much with how to do all 3 sports when 90% of what I know is from a pure running background.  Tons of variables to consider.

That's why, for now, I'm happy to be a mentee who throws in a bit of perspective at times.  There's something to be said for proving you've got it, and then sticking around and having it for a while, before you put yourself out there as a resource.  I'm just coming into my own after years of faltering... and trying to remember that it only takes one stupid move to derail that train.  And historically, I'm prone to full scale meltdowns when the train derails... massive weight loss and conversion to total couch potato.  But I think... I really do... that this time I've got the fever.

Speaking of which.... more cowbell please.

disclaimier - sorry for the seemingly self-absorbed rambling.  I put it out there because I think that self-awareness is one of the hardest parts about being a self-coached long course triathlete.  We're so good at lying to ourselves about what we're capable of, where we are, how we feel, etc.

Having been both a mentor and mentee, I am enjoying learning from more experienced triathletes than me!! The conversations have been great!!

2010-05-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2864805

Expert
JoshKaptur -  We're so good at lying to ourselves about what we're capable of, where we are, how we feel, etc.

Couldnt agree more
2010-05-18 10:59 AM

Master
Dunedin
So, I'm recovering (recovered?) from weirdo groin/ab hurty issues.  I have an oly distance race this weekend and I'm super stoked to just get my feet wet and enjoy the day.  Don't worry, my goal is to do NOTHING stupid!

So, with JUST two months to go to Lake Placid and I've had minimal training of any sort over the last 4 weeks...where should my concerns be?

The swimming will not be an issue.  I'm thinking that I should focus as best I can on biking and transitioning to the run with runs and swims supporting my training.  I really learned my lesson.  I want to finish this race so I'm not going to unnecessarily freak out any more about pace & volume.  Besides, I'll have a better race day showing up not injured than having forced myself through long training sessions.

2010-05-18 12:41 PM

2010-05-18 6:34 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
Agree with Fred given your comfort at the swim.  The worst thing you could do right now is re-injure yourself by trying to make up for lost time.  Instead, you've got 45ish days where consistent and conservative training can really boost your fitness.  Especially on the run, I'd urge caution.  Don't even think about doing any crazy long runs as if you were prepping for a stand alone marathon.  Far better to get that extra mileage via extra EASY runs, not extra miles on your existing runs.  The recovery costs will be super low but the fitness gains will still come.  That will also leave you able to get in quality bike sessions.

Just as an example - I've been running 40-50 miles a week fairly consistently all year, and my planned long run is right around 16 miles.  You will make plenty of running fitness gains, even at much smaller mileage, with frequent easy runs and one medium-longish run per week.

2010-05-18 7:17 PM

2010-05-18 7:57 PM

2010-05-18 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2867015

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

PennState - 2010-05-18 7:17 PM How was everyone's training today?

Had a great ride tonight.  I was able to stay with the local A group ride the whole way tonight.  I think coming off a bit of a recovery week really makes a difference.  I guess it was kind of like a mini taper.  I can see how the taper for a HIM or IM will really add some strength and performance back into the legs.  Gives me some more confidence for my HIM and IM this year.

I still have to remind myself not to push the biking to hard, or at least only push once a week or so.  I also have to remember that I am also running and swimming and the majority of the bikers I am riding with concentrate on the bike only.   Tough to keep the things in perspective when the testosterone is flowing. 

On a side note I am getting a lot out of this Mentor group, thanks for all the great perspective and information from everyone.

2010-05-18 9:26 PM

Master
Dunedin
No training.  I set my alarm for 6:30pm instead of a.m., but managed to wake up in time for work.  Went to a Toastmasters meeting during lunch instead of a workout and then after work the weather was so God-awful that my husband and I spent time with family instead.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121