BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-07-27 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3615490

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
robingray_260 - 2011-07-26 1:47 PM

triple post - urrggh!

I thought you were just shamelessly padding your post count! Smile

2011-07-28 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3617242

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Bricks – what your philosophy on them?

I’ve read in a few different places that doing them is OK but you make better gains by training separately. But I was reflecting on my last race (a sprint) and though that some specific brick training for that race could have made a difference.

Any thoughts or comments on brick training.

2011-07-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3618914

User image

Regular
Maryland
RE:  bricks - I've done 3 so far and I can say that I'm glad that I know now what it's like to run right after biking.  What I've learned is that I need to baby my knee a little right out of the bike to give my muscles a chance to get used to the new motion of running.  The first time I did a brick, I pushed too hard and I suffered for a long time afterwards.
2011-07-28 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Regular
Maryland

Newbie question:

What do you all pack into your Tri bag?  I've heard so much about not wasting space and trying to pack light.  Should I bring an extra towel to dry off my feet after the swim or is this a waste of space?

Sorry, just starting to ponder the details. Undecided

2011-07-28 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
acv - 2011-07-28 11:44 AM

I’ve read in a few different places that doing them is OK but you make better gains by training separately. But I was reflecting on my last race (a sprint) and though that some specific brick training for that race could have made a difference.

Bricks are great tools, even if its just a 10 minute run after a bike just to get your legs under you.  I try to get at least one good brick work out in, it is easy with our club because every Wednesday night we have a run-bike-run as a training session.

2011-07-28 4:14 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-07-28 12:44 PM

Both concepts are correct for you are reading.  There is certainly a place and value in brick training.  Doing a short run after a bike once or twice a week is a good way to get used to running off the bike, plus it gives another run or 2 a week that you wouldn't have gotten in other wise.

But as far as seperating them goes, there are usually harder bike workouts and harder run workouts mixed in with recovery efforts in both sports.  You wouldn't want to back the hard bike and hard run together on consecutive days.  You should try and do your quality runs and quality cycling days when you have only had recovery efforts or even a rest day the day before.

Good question!

2011-07-28 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3619448

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-07-28 3:45 PM

Newbie question:

What do you all pack into your Tri bag?  I've heard so much about not wasting space and trying to pack light.  Should I bring an extra towel to dry off my feet after the swim or is this a waste of space?

Don't be sorry, that is what the mentor program is all about!

For oly or sprints I try to keep it as simple as possible.  Helmet, sun glasses  and shoes for the bike, and shoes and a visor or hat for the run.  For longer races like HIM I would also have socks for the run.  For an IM, I pack for all possible situations, but since in an IM you don't have a transition in the traditional sense, it really doesn't matter what is packed.

I will generally have a towel to set transition up on and an extra one.  Typically to wipe the feet off after the swim and the run to transition.  After the bike I might wipe off my face if it is hot and sweaty out.  Plus for the longer races it helps to dry the feet off to put socks on.

Really, the simpler you keep it the better.  You should also tie transition practice in with the bricks we have been discussing.  Set up a transition before heading off on the bike and when you come back in do the transition as you would during the race and head out for a short run.  This way you know what you need and how to organize it so that you know where everything is on race day.
2011-07-29 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
great, thanks for the feedback
2011-07-29 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
great, thanks for the feedback
2011-07-29 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Bricks.  Yes. 

As for the bag, I'm the guy who takes everything.  Two helmets (can't race without one and often someone forgets and what if my strap breaks?), shoes for both, wetsuit, socks for longer runs, towels (Lord, yes, I feel so much better after a fast wipre down), tire pump, nutrition, hydration.  I hire two men to carry it.

Training has been time consuming. 3 to 4 hours on WEEKDAYS with 6 plus on the weekends. Long bikes followed by runs. Long runs midweek isolated from the long bikes. Bikes are a mix of long plus short intense VO2.  Swims 2- 3X, mostly VO2 stuff with longer ones mixed in.  A 2.4 miler is coming.  Yoga and rollers routinely.  Sleeping 7 to 9 hours if I can get it, naps on the weekend.  Kinda crazy.  Will be happy for a rest in September.  

This weekend is a century plus ride for charity and a run Saturday, plus a 2 hour intense ride and longer run Sunday.  Might try to swim if I can find an hour. have to devote time to the Mrs. too.  Today is a rest day and date night, Cowboys and Aliens and dinner.

2011-07-29 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Viyoung - 2011-07-28 2:45 PM

Newbie question:

For sprints and olympic I keep it as simple as possible,  I have a small mat that I lay out my stuff on and do it the same way every time and practice that way.  Mine is something like bike shoes with number belt,  gatorade bottle and gel, then my running shoes and socks with my visor.  Sometimes I put an extra tube of aquaphor on there.  My helmet and sunglasses are on my aero bars.  I like to have a towel there in case of sand or feet wet or anything to wipe off with, but not a big towel I have an old gatorade sideline towel that works great.  Just remember these are all suggestions you need to try things and find what your magic solution is and remember to HAVE FUN!!!!

2011-07-29 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Going to do a sprint in my hometown tomorrow for their first annual event..Wanted to show support since I'm. A triathlete.Not much of a taper this week because of the HIM training so I'm not sure how I will do.Going to take it easy today then use the race as training then do what additional time my plan calls for after that...hope everyone is doing well..As far a transistion keep it simple because the more you have the more you have to stress over..do some mock swim to t1 then bike to t2 to see how you do practice this in training and it will help and make your raceday more enjoyable..
2011-07-29 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Newbie question:

If you want to PM your email address and I can send you a nicely formatted checklist I did in word.

My transition setup is minimal. I have what I use and that's it. I did really well in in my last race during transition 7th in T1 and 34th in T2 so I keep it simple and it works. And no I didn't wipe my feet off but you need to feel comfortable. I'll admit to being a little fanatical about transition.Embarassed

But my bag has a lot of stuff. Like Ice I pack doubles of most things and triples of a few things - googles being one of the things I have multiples of. Drop your googles and step on them right before a race - no problem grab another pair from your bag. Oh and I started packing a headlamp (which might not be on my checklist yet) last year I had to setup my transition area in the dark at my last race of the season.

2011-07-29 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Friendly or not….

So depending on my route or activity I come across the same people. This morning I passed 2 people I usually see. On my bike ride around 5:45 I passed a woman jogging on the other side of the road and she gave me a big wave and smile and I returned the gesture. Then around 7:00 I passed another women jogging near my house but  I can barely get her to acknowledge my existence and we are about 5’ away from each other – I usually pass her jogging not riding but the reaction is the same…...

Pass any “regulars” out there and are people more friendly in different parts of the country?

2011-07-29 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3620240

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-07-29 8:57 AM

Bricks.  Yes. 

As for the bag, I'm the guy who takes everything.  Two helmets (can't race without one and often someone forgets and what if my strap breaks?), shoes for both, wetsuit, socks for longer runs, towels (Lord, yes, I feel so much better after a fast wipre down), tire pump, nutrition, hydration.  I hire two men to carry it.

Training has been time consuming. 3 to 4 hours on WEEKDAYS with 6 plus on the weekends. Long bikes followed by runs. Long runs midweek isolated from the long bikes. Bikes are a mix of long plus short intense VO2.  Swims 2- 3X, mostly VO2 stuff with longer ones mixed in.  A 2.4 miler is coming.  Yoga and rollers routinely.  Sleeping 7 to 9 hours if I can get it, naps on the weekend.  Kinda crazy.  Will be happy for a rest in September.  

This weekend is a century plus ride for charity and a run Saturday, plus a 2 hour intense ride and longer run Sunday.  Might try to swim if I can find an hour. have to devote time to the Mrs. too.  Today is a rest day and date night, Cowboys and Aliens and dinner.

Have a great ride tomorrow Ice!

How did you like the movie?
2011-07-29 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3620547

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-07-29 11:22 AM

Newbie question:

If you want to PM your email address and I can send you a nicely formatted checklist I did in word.

My transition setup is minimal. I have what I use and that's it. I did really well in in my last race during transition 7th in T1 and 34th in T2 so I keep it simple and it works. And no I didn't wipe my feet off but you need to feel comfortable. I'll admit to being a little fanatical about transition.Embarassed

But my bag has a lot of stuff. Like Ice I pack doubles of most things and triples of a few things - googles being one of the things I have multiples of. Drop your googles and step on them right before a race - no problem grab another pair from your bag. Oh and I started packing a headlamp (which might not be on my checklist yet) last year I had to setup my transition area in the dark at my last race of the season.

That is a good idea, especially for September or even late August races where the sun isn't quite as high in the sky at the early starts we do.

2011-07-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3621175

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-07-29 4:27 PM

Friendly or not….

So depending on my route or activity I come across the same people. This morning I passed 2 people I usually see. On my bike ride around 5:45 I passed a woman jogging on the other side of the road and she gave me a big wave and smile and I returned the gesture. Then around 7:00 I passed another women jogging near my house but  I can barely get her to acknowledge my existence and we are about 5’ away from each other – I usually pass her jogging not riding but the reaction is the same…...

Pass any “regulars” out there and are people more friendly in different parts of the country?

I think it depends more on the person as I get some that are very friendly and others that aren't at all.  And I run all over the country.  Probably the least friendliest place though was Washington DC.  But that whole city (and our country) is basically run by a bunch of over achieving 20 somethings that don't trust anyone.
2011-07-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3621206

User image

Expert

Bricks-I think they are very important when you are newer to get used to the feeling of running off the bike. Don't even have to be long, just long enough for your legs to feel back to normal if that's all you have time for. For me, running off the bike gets easier every year, and now I actually have a little spring in my step instead of that heavy jello-y feeling that I used to get. I brick now just to fit a little more running into my schedule. Did a brick today and ran probably 30 seconds/mile faster than if I had done a stand alone run.

Transition bag-Definitely as simple as possible. I do have a towel in transition, but I only use it to wipe sand or dirt off my feet if necessary. A headlamp is very helpful in late season races.

Friendly People. In my neighborhood I usually only see people walking their dogs, and they are friendly. Once I get away from any houses I moo at the cows and neigh at the horses, but they just look at me and don't respond.

Have a great race, Tim!

Enjoy the weekend, everybody!

2011-07-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3620444

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-07-29 10:41 AM Going to do a sprint in my hometown tomorrow for their first annual event..Wanted to show support since I'm. A triathlete.Not much of a taper this week because of the HIM training so I'm not sure how I will do.Going to take it easy today then use the race as training then do what additional time my plan calls for after that...hope everyone is doing well..As far a transistion keep it simple because the more you have the more you have to stress over..do some mock swim to t1 then bike to t2 to see how you do practice this in training and it will help and make your raceday more enjoyable..

I hope the race went well today!
2011-07-30 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3621795

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Good Afternoon friends.. I will post a rr later but I had a good race today, 400 meter swim,12 mile bike, 5k run was the first annual event distances.. 1:10:26 was my time 33rd overall and 8th out of 24 in age group.. needed to be about three minutes faster for  a podium finish but I doubt many of the athletes are training for a HIM(lol) The swim was first come first serve so I started towards the back, my bike leg was great I passed 100 plus people and I never got passed. My run was decent. Overall felt good going to rest up then get my run workout in this afternoon..Thanks for the support..
2011-07-30 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3621800

User image

Regular

shake-n-bake - 2011-07-30 12:23 PM Good Afternoon friends.. I will post a rr later but I had a good race today, 400 meter swim,12 mile bike, 5k run was the first annual event distances.. 1:10:26 was my time 33rd overall and 8th out of 24 in age group.. needed to be about three minutes faster for  a podium finish but I doubt many of the athletes are training for a HIM(lol) The swim was first come first serve so I started towards the back, my bike leg was great I passed 100 plus people and I never got passed. My run was decent. Overall felt good going to rest up then get my run workout in this afternoon..Thanks for the support..

Nice race today!!

2011-07-31 3:08 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

shake-n-bake - 2011-07-30 11:23 AM Good Afternoon friends.. I will post a rr later but I had a good race today, 400 meter swim,12 mile bike, 5k run was the first annual event distances.. 1:10:26 was my time 33rd overall and 8th out of 24 in age group.. needed to be about three minutes faster for  a podium finish but I doubt many of the athletes are training for a HIM(lol) The swim was first come first serve so I started towards the back, my bike leg was great I passed 100 plus people and I never got passed. My run was decent. Overall felt good going to rest up then get my run workout in this afternoon..Thanks for the support..

Congratulations on a good race!

2011-07-31 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
shake-n-bake - 2011-07-30 11:23 AM

Good Afternoon friends.. I will post a rr later but I had a good race today, 400 meter swim,12 mile bike, 5k run was the first annual event distances.. 1:10:26 was my time 33rd overall and 8th out of 24 in age group.. needed to be about three minutes faster for  a podium finish but I doubt many of the athletes are training for a HIM(lol) The swim was first come first serve so I started towards the back, my bike leg was great I passed 100 plus people and I never got passed. My run was decent. Overall felt good going to rest up then get my run workout in this afternoon..Thanks for the support..

NICE!!!
2011-08-01 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Nice race Shake n Bake!
2011-08-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3619622

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-07-28 4:14 PM
acv - 2011-07-28 12:44 PM

Both concepts are correct for you are reading.  There is certainly a place and value in brick training.  Doing a short run after a bike once or twice a week is a good way to get used to running off the bike, plus it gives another run or 2 a week that you wouldn't have gotten in other wise.

But as far as seperating them goes, there are usually harder bike workouts and harder run workouts mixed in with recovery efforts in both sports.  You wouldn't want to back the hard bike and hard run together on consecutive days.  You should try and do your quality runs and quality cycling days when you have only had recovery efforts or even a rest day the day before.

Good question!

Great advice! When I do a brick it's a short run after a good bike ride but if I was planning a brick the bike would not be a 'hammer fest' and I would not bike before my hard or long run.

I know for me it's hard to regulate my pace and HR off the bike. I tend to start off too fast and have a hard time settling in with a comfortable pace. I did a brick yesterday and while it was the longest ride I've done in a while I kept my cadence up and my power just a little bit lower knowing I'd be running. It also helps me to increase my running cadence off the bike so my HR doesn't get too high.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72