BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-10-12 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Dennis, I like your plan.  Except for the switching from miled to kilometers.  Huh?  But hey if you find it ads to the amusement, more power to you.  Sounds like you are really enjoying (is that the right word?) the trainer.  Did you ever figure out the source of your bike squeak?

Steve, glad your legs are feeling good!  Have heard really good things re: Jorge's cycling plan, so I'll be interested to get your take on it. 

Samantha, you out there in the wilderness somewhere facilitating?

I'm really not slacking off, just shifting the mix.  This is the part of the year that I LOVE being outside.  I dreamed about it all through the miserably hot summer we had.  Been loosely following that 1/2 mary plan that throws in a little faster stuff (1600's alternated w/ 800 easy, and a few strides so far), and holding up well.  I think part of my run slowness is just that I only know one gear, so hoping to shake that up a little bit.  Goal in addition to the 1/2 mary's themselves is to hit 1,000 miles running this yr...very achievable.  Also doing a little core, hip, and glute strengthening/stretching/rolling a few times a week as insurance.  Giving myself permission to just have fun on my bike and not worry about speed.  Went on a ladies only ride last night that was slow, but we did some short sprints that were FUN!  Swimming is a tough sell right now (see LOVE being outside), so hitting the pool a couple times a week for 2Kish yards is probably about it. 

2011-10-12 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Carol - I think we were writing at the same time, I am like you with the weather. I am trying to get what I need to continue being outside because I prefer it. Though the cold in my head and chest is not helpful. No woods for me at the moment. Next week I am teaching a three day course on facilitation, which will be good and interesting.

Your training sounds like it is going really well. Do you like getting out with the ladies only groups?

2011-10-12 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Steve, opinion time. I have $3,000 to spend. Do I go for a Cecelia P2 with the money and that's it our the Felt B16 and a power meter. I don'think paying he extra $700 on a better bike will help as much as training with a power meter? What's your thoughts?

Edited by dhwebb 2011-10-12 7:02 PM
2011-10-12 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I mentioned to my boss today that I was looking for a swim coach.  He knew somebody, called them on the spot and they said sure they would help me.  It's freakin' Olympian.  I have to see if this will work out co-ordinating it.  It's going to be really embarrassing I'm afraid.

And here's the bike I'm looking at.  A 2011 Felt B16.  It's a closeout buy and already $400 off.  They ran a deal a few months back buy a tri bike, get a $400 gift card.  I'm working to get that deal added to it.  They have a Slice 5 also for around the same price, but I really like the Felt and it seemed to fit me better when I tried them.  The only thing I think I will need done is the crank replaced with a compact or I'm going to have to up the weights at the gym a lot.

2011-10-13 5:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Carol you asked about the squeak. After taking it into the shop, we decided it was one of 3 things: the crank crying and whimpering from all the force I put on it when hammering down or it could have been not real and just an excuse to go bike shopping or most likely, a dry chain. Yes, my chain needed oil. I was embarrassed. Rode an hour and heard nothing.
2011-10-13 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Samantha!  Sorry about your cold, and hope you feel better soon . So you are facilitating the facilitators....sounds like a way to have a positive impact on a lot of people.  I did enjoy the women's only ride, and meeting a few folks there.  The only rides I've done are out of a pretty high end bike shop with a lot of really good cyclists...yes almost all guys.  I'm generally OK w/ that, but it was nice for once to be one of the stronger riders in a group, and to see some others on bikes that I would not have to take out a loan for.  I'm not all that into comparisons/competition, but have to admit I get a little weary of being last all the time.

Dennis, glad you are getting a new bike!  No advice I can offer, just happy to see that you are getting to upgrade.  As for the swim coach, if I hear of someone who starts taking tri swims by storm using the butterfly, I'll know it's you .  Yes, 2nd to Michael Phelps would be a bit intimidating, but if he's a good teacher, then worth getting through that!  Glad a little oil fixed your chain.  I continue to feel like a doofus when it comes to bike maintenance too.  Opted not to leave my bike at the shop as now I'm wondering if it's coming from where my shoe connects w/ the pedal.  Does only seem to happen when I'm exerting a fair amount of force. 

OK, so I sent out one resume for a VERY small piece of direct contract accounting work earlier this week.  First time dipping my toes back in the water, and I seem to have gotten the gig.  So now my head is spinning with whether I should consider officially hanging out my shingle.  I think I'll go for a run now. 

2011-10-13 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran

Dennis- what a crazy hook-up for you to get. I would be scared if I were you, but man the potential is huge if he is a good coach. Keep us posted for sure. I am definitely drooling over your potential bike purchase. My centurian is in great condition and I am not in a hurry to replace it, but I look forward to a new bike with more than 12 gears. I hope you are able to swing the extra $400 card.

Carol- I know what you mean about enjoying not being last. I have that a lot in the outdoor field because I am not as strong as most people, especially the guys. Triathlons are not any different, so hanging with people who are my equals or have room to grow is pretty reassuring. Plus, I really enjoy working with people to encourage them to get to where I am. That is what I do in my job. I teach people to teach and lead others -- really sweet gig!

2011-10-13 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I bit the bullet and got a bike.  Just not the one I thought I would  After plenty of measuring, riding, comparing and driving to different shops I decided on the Look 576 Rival.  Can't wait to get out on Saturday and ride.  I also went ahead and ordered a powertap wheel from wheelbuilder.com since they were having a sale.

2011-10-13 9:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Carol, once you get up to 25 to 35 miles per week I would say you could start hitting some intensity.  I like the idea of 1 mile repeats... but they can be at 5k pace... so I am thinking 8:45 mpm.  You won't hit it the first time out, or the second, but I think you can get there.  Try to do 9:30 the first week, then 9:20 second week and just work it down.  Speedwork is hard....

Lastnight I did a 30 min TT on the trainer,... soooo much fun.  So I have hr info for the next 3 weeks until I do another one.  I could feel it on my run today, slight loss of umphta. 

Those are all good bikes Dennis.  I am not good enough to need a power tap yet.  I find it hard to justify the $$ as I suck so much on the bike.  Jeorges plan includes a lot of intensity.  So hopefully it helps out.  I am giving up my winter mary to work on the bike, so I hope it pays off for next year.

2011-10-13 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Wooohooo!!  Beautiful bike Dennis!  I think you are the first in our group to get a new bike.  Congrats and may you have many happy rides together!

Went on a group ride w/ a new group tonight and had 3, yes that's right, THREE flats.  In between had a brake rubbing so got some extra resistance to deal with.  Ugh!!  Thankfully was with a nice mechanic from the bike shop so all was good.  Couldn't find the source of the problem until we got it back to the shop.  Turned out to be an itty bitty piece of wire or staple or something.  I used the cotton ball the second time, and it must have pushed back through so didn't catch. 

2011-10-13 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I'd be so upset over 3 flats.  Had to be frustrating.  I guess you were down to patching for sure.  Did you have to borrow some CO2 I guess?

I'm not so great on the bike myself.  I'm hoping the $$$ will help improve that.  So many people I know say once you learn to train and race with power, the returns are huge.  I've ordered the book Training and Racing with a Power Meter in hopes for some guidance on all the new acronyms you get.  As somebody said, use the PowerTap correctly or you just spend $1,000 on a CatEye that shows and extra number.  I'm confident that with a winter on the trainer with the tap it will help.

I did ride the new bike on the trainer tonight for an hour.  Followed up by a very short run.  Going for a group ride on Saturday though to get it out on the road.

Have a great weekend everybody.

2011-10-14 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, I have a feeling you are going to love the power meter.  Know you gravitate towards things analytical, so geek out!!! 

Samantha, I forgot to mention that your workouts are looking good!  Have you run much before this year?  Your pace looks good.

Yeah, I had one tube and two CO2 cartridges in my pack, and bike shop guy took care of the rest.  He also changed my tube out before we left the shop as I had broken off part of the valve pumping up my tires (this should have tipped me off that it might be an "interesting" ride).

Steve, thanks for the running advice!  I'm at about 25 mpw now (more depending on if I run or ride in the morning), and also had a few weeks w/ that running volume in Aug/Sept timeframe.  Did the mile repeat thing earlier this week (alternating 1600 hard, 800 easy) and hit 9:17, 9:20, 8:59, 9:12, so I think I'm pretty much in line w/ what you are saying.  Have done a few shorter interval type things as well -- short fartlek run, a few acc strides -- but trying to be careful with those and make sure I'm warmed up, not overstriding, etc.  Saving any hill work for later, but feeling stronger on the hills on my routes already.  Yes, the repeats are harder, but I'm enjoying doing some different things in hopes of getting faster.  Planning to hook up w/ the local running group this weekend for my long run (10-11, did 9 last week). 

2011-10-14 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I like that 8:59 in there, was your HR near LT when you did that one or was it lower?  You can use your HR to identify your effort level.  You can run mile repeats as fast as LT or 5k pace.  I see a sub 9:00 pace in your future.  

I feel so gimp.  Adding the bike back in with intensity and the TT has left me spent on yes 4!  hours of training so far this week.  My gosh that should be a moderate workout day....  Oh well, it is all part of the dance.  I can tell from my run today (40-45 seconds slower than pace of the previous runs) that I have already built fatigue.  It will come back, it just feels like I am doing so little.  Fitness leaves so much faster than it returns.

Ok for winter clothing.. the main  thing is to have a windproof layer for pants and upper body with a hood that ties or snaps/velcros tighter.  I use a baseball cap to keep the hood from obstrcting my vision when it is raining or snowing.  Next, a pair of cheap gloves (windproof if it is really cold), wool socks (the ones that still whick) and a head/neck/face cover thing, very thin so you can stuff it in a pocket when you warm up.  At Wallmart this will run you $30, but you will probably have to go online for the head covering and wool socks.  I have done 20 miles in slush with wool socks, they own.  So winterizing yourself costs meh $60 to $80.  You can get outer shells with hoods that zip into a small pocket at your neck and if you get pockets on the jacket make sure they zip.  You will need to throw stuff in them (gloves etc.) that you don't want to fall out.  Or have stuff in there (food) that you want for later.   

Edited by Baowolf 2011-10-14 5:00 PM
2011-10-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3724627

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Baowolf - 2011-10-14 4:57 PM

I like that 8:59 in there, was your HR near LT when you did that one or was it lower?

(hmmmm....hard to say since I haven't done the test .  That rep was a bit downhill so HR was actually a little higher on the previous rep. avg 172, max 177.  I have a 10K next weekend and a 5K on 11/5 so should give a better idea)

I see a sub 9:00 pace in your future.  

(Hope you're right)

Fitness leaves so much faster than it returns.

(Yep, one of those things I would change if I was in charge.)

At Wallmart this will run you $30.

(LIKE!!!)

Spectacular weather today, and had a really nice bike ride.  Thought about going 40, but opted for the short route (27 miles) since tomorrow is long run.  It will likely be a while until I need any of the winter stuff here.  Still reveling in the fact that it's not 100+ degrees!!

2011-10-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3724976

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Needed arm warmers this morning but that's it.  Was really nice.  Went out and did 56 on the new bike at 17.3 MPH.  Awesome. that's pretty much a whole MPH increase.  You can buy speed people.  I wonder how fast that $10,000 Trek at the LBS would be?

I rode about 9 to the group ride, then about 12 with the group (who was going somewhere I didn't care to), a guy and I broke off and did probably 25 together before going our separate ways and I headed home.  I was only in the bars for 15% of the ride when I wasn't alone and 80% while alone.  My neck hurts.  Gotta get used to that.

Overall I had a terrific morning.  Taking it easy the rest of the day.  Going to read some training material.  Tomorrow will be a medium run and more reading.  Still having too much fun.

2011-10-15 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Oh yeah.  Steve, I recall you saying you wanted a Timex GPS watch, well Active.com sent me an email for a deal on the Timex GPS watch for $165.  Great deal.  Here is the link if you're interested

2011-10-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3725000

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
dhwebb - 2011-10-15 11:39 AM

Needed arm warmers this morning but that's it.  Was really nice.  Went out and did 56 on the new bike at 17.3 MPH.  Awesome. that's pretty much a whole MPH increase.  You can buy speed people.  I wonder how fast that $10,000 Trek at the LBS would be?

I rode about 9 to the group ride, then about 12 with the group (who was going somewhere I didn't care to), a guy and I broke off and did probably 25 together before going our separate ways and I headed home.  I was only in the bars for 15% of the ride when I wasn't alone and 80% while alone.  My neck hurts.  Gotta get used to that.

Overall I had a terrific morning.  Taking it easy the rest of the day.  Going to read some training material.  Tomorrow will be a medium run and more reading.  Still having too much fun.

Really nice ride Dennis!  Seems to me you've been working on the engine all spring/summer, so nope...not gonna tag it all to the bike.  Loved that last sentence

It's been a spectacular weekend here weather wise.  Went out to the local running club this morning to run 10-11 miles before church.  Ran with another gal close to my pace doing 12, so I couldn't desert her at mile 11.  Anyway, 12.1 miles in 2:10, having conversation the whole way and would not have had a problem continuing on.  Slowed down/walked occasionally mainly because my running buddy needed to.  Definitely think I have a little faster in me, but wise to keep it real and enjoyed the company.  My (undertrained) 1/2 mary pr is 2:32, so I definitely have hope of besting that and am still 7 weeks out from White Rock 1/2 .   

MTA -- read a quote today that I like: " The club was open to everyone but required a long and often tiresome apprenticeship.  We shared a willingness to appear ridiculous and to pass through pain in search of ancient joys." (Benjamin Cheever).

Edited by squirt 2011-10-16 4:19 PM
2011-10-16 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

That is a nice price, but I can't justify it as my Garmin still works after 3 years.  I will wait for it to die and the probably switch over. 

So 10 mile run is long now.. 8(.  Oh well I ran at 155 hr steady run at 8:11 ish pace for the 10 miles today.  Taking a day off (well moved 2000 pounds of dirt) from running/biking helped.  Going to try to get all my bike rides in this week on the drainer.  Have to go. 

Glad you are liking the bike... problem is we bike harder when we have a new bike... we see how things stand speed wize in a month 8). 

Very nice run Carol.  You are running longer than me for your long!  I think i will top out at 13 ish for the winter. At least i got my run in before the rain came.  A lovely 50F this morning. 

2011-10-16 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

My 4 and 5 year old ran their first race today, 100 yd. dash.  The local running club put on a kids running class this fall.  1 hour for 4 Saturdays with the race on the 5th weekend.  Both of mine are in the <5 AG and had the 100 yd. race.  Next year my boy will upgrade to the 1/2 mile.  Mandatory pic with finisher's medal.

2011-10-17 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, very cute kiddo's you have!  Looks like they are having fun with it.  Did they decide to do the race on their own, or was it something you suggested to them?  No doubt what you are doing is an example that will stick with them through their lives.

Steve, I'm guessing you have a couple more yrs until the Garmin dies.  I'm sure there will be some fancy new gizmo's waiting for you then.  Glad the weather is cooperating nicely with your runs!

Swim, taking care of sick husband, taking father in law to oral surgeon, and a trip to costco for me today.  Does going to costco count as cross training? 

2011-10-17 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3727395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
I asked in a suggestive way if they wanted to run. I love Costco. Cross train by putting left foot on basket, push off with right and ride down the aisles like it's a scooter. I'm 34 and always do this.

2011-10-18 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis,  Wish I had read that before I went to Costco.  Would have been a lot more fun, and quite a workout by the time my cart was loaded up.  And way to go dad on encouraging your kids!

Steve, can I ask for your help once again (and Dennis feel free to chime in as well)?  Have a 10K on Saturday and am not sure what pace to target.  This morning's workout (in significantly cooler temps) was quite springy for me: total of 8.75 miles, including 5 X 1600 w/ 800 easy jog recoveries.  Hit 9:08, 8:56, 8:46, 8:55, and 8:46 with HR not in the stratosphere (log has details).  So this has me thinking of trying to come in around 57 minutes (9:12/mile), which is not coincidentally what it would have taken to get 1st in my AG last year.  My last 10K on 9/17/2011 was 58:28 (9:25/mile) in warmer more humid conditions.  What to do you think, is 57 minutes doable or am I just high on endorphins from this morning's run?  Most of my steady runs lately have been at "easy" pace, so I'm not sure if I'm translating the 1600 speeds properly to what I can maintain over 10K without any recovery.   

2011-10-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3728840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Ok you asked for my .02 so here they are.

I used the Daniels Formula from this website to calculate your temperature adjusted race time.  According to the 9/17 race report the temperature for your race was 75.  After inputting that into the page, it predicts that at 60 and below, you would have ran 57:15.  Your more fit now than then so you can definitely meet your goals.  So get out there, run hard, don't stop, and bring home the gold with a 55:59.  Yes, sub 56.

Predicted 10 km Finish Times by Temperature
TemperatureTimemin/kmmin/mile
60F/16C or below57:15.05:43.59:12.8
65F/18C57:37.15:45.79:16.4
70F/21C58:01.55:48.19:20.3
75F/24C58:28.05:50.89:24.6
80F/27C58:56.75:53.79:29.2
85F/29C59:27.65:56.89:34.2
90F/32C1:00:00.76:00.19:39.5
95F/35C1:00:35.96:03.69:45.1
100F/38C1:01:13.46:07.39:51.2

2011-10-18 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Dennis!  I should have known you would have a link .  And thanks for the encouragement to think fast(er).  If I'm feeling springy and we have IRC on Saturday I just might.  Gotta love the fall here in the south!  How's the new baby bike? 
2011-10-18 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carol, I would put you in the 55:48 to 57:00 range.  You should be able to hold a 9 ish mpm pace.  Your longer runs will enable you to not fade at the end.  Start not slow, but not flat out, strong start, flatten your pace out at 9 mpm for mile 1, ease up a few seconds per mile pace 9:00, 8:58, 8:56, 8:55, 8:53 over the next 4 miles and then all ya have in ya for the last 1.2 miles. You may go 9:00, 8:58, 8:56, 9:00 9:05, 9:10, but I think you can hold the first line.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61