BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2012-02-21 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4058563

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

Also, fun fact! Ann (stampinann) not only both live in the Seattle area, but we work in the SAME building! Caaaa-raaaa-Z!

That is a crazy coincidence! Training buddy in the building Smile

2012-02-21 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4058898

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2012-02-21 2:57 PM
jogo - 2012-02-21 3:39 PM

Ok Mentor group, MENTOR me!!

I ditched my coach.  I have less than 10 weeks.  Just jump into a Higdon Novice/Intermediate program?  I have loosely done his programs before (sort of combined them).  The other option is Runners World smart coach.  The only thing I don't like about that is, it puts the 20 miler 2 weeks out from race day.  I've always my last 20 3 weeks out.  I like that they give you goal paces to run at though. 

Just think, come 4/29, you won't have to hear me moan and groan about this anymore. 

Yes, pick a plan and jump in.  Trust the plan.  If you like Higdon, go for it!  Lots of people have used it successfully and you will too!

X2

I know you are resistant to a plan but they really do exist for a reason. I think you can follow it "loosely" if it makes you feel better. I really suggest trying to find the joy in running. Give each run a purpose. 

I didn't begin to really, really fall in love with running until I became consistent. Once I got over that hump and made running a regular part of my life things got brighter. 

For hill runs you don't need to find some crappy difficult hill and do repeats. This can simply be finding a loop (maybe on a trail? Or maybe  a hilly neighborhood you haven't been to?) and getting some hills on your legs.

You also don't need to keep a certain pace. If the goal of your run is tempo, do what feels like tempo that day. Chasing arbitrary numbers is more than likely going to get you hurt and in the end it's just that, chasing arbitrary numbers. You can only run what you can run. 

You do need to hold yourself accountable. You need to find a way to do this. Relying on others simply isn't sustainable. Try to make your goals attainable, motivating and FUN. Maybe you need to find a friend or two to run with for the long runs. 

Sorry for the wordy response but those are all things that have helped me keep on keepin' on. 

2012-02-21 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4058498

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
TriAya - 2012-02-21 12:30 PM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

Training is going great; at least I'm able to put some solid volume and several key long workouts (yes, I really did do 6 hours on a trainer) in before taper for the IM.

However, I seem to be minus a tooth -- I feel like I'm right back in that second-grade really awkward stage -- and plus an infection and recovering from having it and some bone dug out of my gum. The antibiotics are being none too kind to my energy levels or GI tract, either.

I look STOOPID ... I'll have to post a picture when it's not *quite* as gross/red/puffy/big black stitches, so you all can recommend some kind of appropriate matching outfit, like a jester or pirate.

Oh Miss Yanti, I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth!  Ummm, yeah antibiotics are always a bad thing for the GI tract.  I feel your your pain.

As far as the pirate or jester themed outfits, I would go for the jester.  Good excuse to squirt the public with water or gatordade as you pass them by on your bike or run.  Wink  

2012-02-21 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4059313

User image

Seattle
cggale - 2012-02-21 5:21 PM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

Training is going great; at least I'm able to put some solid volume and several key long workouts (yes, I really did do 6 hours on a trainer) in before taper for the IM.

However, I seem to be minus a tooth -- I feel like I'm right back in that second-grade really awkward stage -- and plus an infection and recovering from having it and some bone dug out of my gum. The antibiotics are being none too kind to my energy levels or GI tract, either.

I look STOOPID ... I'll have to post a picture when it's not *quite* as gross/red/puffy/big black stitches, so you all can recommend some kind of appropriate matching outfit, like a jester or pirate.

Oh Miss Yanti, I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth!  Ummm, yeah antibiotics are always a bad thing for the GI tract.  I feel your your pain.

As far as the pirate or jester themed outfits, I would go for the jester.  Good excuse to squirt the public with water or gatordade as you pass them by on your bike or run.  Wink  

Oh boy, I was so self absorbed today that I missed that last sentence Yanti wrote. I am on board for both a jester and pirate. I will tell you guys, I used to be obsessed with jesters when I first learned of the Middle Ages (I was/am a strange kid

2012-02-21 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Seattle
Also, I thought I would leave this here: 
2012-02-21 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4059385

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Asalzwed - 2012-02-21 7:24 PMAlso, I thought I would leave this here: 
Oh my gosh, I think I just had Meg Ryan in the diner moment.

2012-02-22 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4059313

User image

Coastal Carolina
cggale - 2012-02-21 6:21 PM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

I'm sorry to hear about your pain Ms. Yanti, get better!!

Also depending on the type of antibiotics they can be really rough on joints and ligaments, after surgery 2 years ago I was told no heavy exercise due to possibility of injuring tendons/ligaments.

Quick trainer ride today with weights and swimming tonight and a 3 hour ride outside tomorrow, weather is going to be perfect in the mid 70's

2012-02-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4060630

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2012-02-23 1:36 AM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

Also depending on the type of antibiotics they can be really rough on joints and ligaments, after surgery 2 years ago I was told no heavy exercise due to possibility of injuring tendons/ligaments.

Quick trainer ride today with weights and swimming tonight and a 3 hour ride outside tomorrow, weather is going to be perfect in the mid 70's

Ooh! Sounds fabulous!

The fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin, etc.) are what can really do you in ... gee thankfully I've already been through two rounds of those ...

Currently on clindamycin, which instead is murder on your GI tract. Hey, race weight, here I come!

2012-02-22 11:53 AM

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to hear about the tooth Yanti. Doesn't sound like fun.  Glad to see you looking chipper as always though.  I caught a bug once that did unmentionable things to my GI system and ended up losing 20lbs in one week! Race weight indeed.

As for me. Blech.  Hit. A. Wall.  Went out for an "easy" short run and just stopped at the halfway point.  I had nothing left.  Just ended up walking home. 

2012-02-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4060681

User image

Melon Presser
wushunut - 2012-02-23 1:53 AM

Sorry to hear about the tooth Yanti. Doesn't sound like fun.  Glad to see you looking chipper as always though.  I caught a bug once that did unmentionable things to my GI system and ended up losing 20lbs in one week! Race weight indeed.

As for me. Blech.  Hit. A. Wall.  Went out for an "easy" short run and just stopped at the halfway point.  I had nothing left.  Just ended up walking home. 

Sometimes, that just happens. Hey, at least you went out and gave it a good shot!

Particularly stressed, hungry, tired?

2012-02-22 12:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

Probably just tired.  Had a hard run on Monday which led to a swim that seemed tougher than usual yesterday.  Coupled with staying up unitl 1:30am working (deadlines!) and getting up at 5am probably means I might be a little fatigued.  Maybe?

2012-02-22 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4060831

User image

Melon Presser
wushunut - 2012-02-23 2:40 AM

Probably just tired.  Had a hard run on Monday which led to a swim that seemed tougher than usual yesterday.  Coupled with staying up unitl 1:30am working (deadlines!) and getting up at 5am probably means I might be a little fatigued.  Maybe?

Y'think???

2012-02-22 3:59 PM

Extreme Veteran

Screw the wall.  I'm juiced up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXdQgMxDp3A

Edit. Boo...no youtube embedding.

Edited by wushunut 2012-02-22 4:01 PM
2012-02-22 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4060640

User image

Coastal Carolina
TriAya - 2012-02-22 12:39 PM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

Ooh! Sounds fabulous!

The fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin, etc.) are what can really do you in ... gee thankfully I've already been through two rounds of those ...

Currently on clindamycin, which instead is murder on your GI tract. Hey, race weight, here I come!

Always finding the bright side I like that

2012-02-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4061394

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Tripopo - 2012-02-22 6:09 PM
TriAya - 2012-02-22 12:39 PM

Speaking of dirty ...

I'm kind of a mess!

Ooh! Sounds fabulous!

Always finding the bright side I like that

Oh joy. I started cipro on Monday and today got switched to avelox. I can't express how excited, NOT, I am to be on the tendon-rupturing antibiotic. I was even reading that it can happen months after finishing a course.
2012-02-23 10:12 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Really sorry to hear that, Jo. Prayers for your health and that you don't get "floxed."

It might do you good to dial things back a bit while you recuperate ... yeah, I'm not, either, but I felt compelled to at least offer the right advice

To be fair, I'm dialing back on the intensity, especially with running.

I just finished a 7+ hour trainer ride simulating the Ironman course (a fraction over 112mi, and gear shifts resembling the slight rises and a few hills on the course). It would have been more convenient to set the trainer up in the bathroom, but then my DVD player wouldn't have had anyplace to go.

I'm in great shape, not dehydrated, legs pretty stiff but not sore or painful, and my stomach is shredded, but no worse than before, so there's that.

2012-02-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4062262

User image

Coastal Carolina
TriAya - 2012-02-23 11:12 AM

I just finished a 7+ hour trainer ride simulating the Ironman course (a fraction over 112mi, and gear shifts resembling the slight rises and a few hills on the course).

Trainer Godess.

Got a 40 mile ride in outside in 2:20, road construction on one road actually had me going faster than the vehicles trying to get around, the construction workers told me I could ride in the shutdown area of the road except for where they were re-paving, bike vs steam roller doesn't normally go to the cyclist Laughing.  Massive headwind which became a tailwind for the ride back thankfully.

1st time on that road it is 55mph with half newly paved and the other half fairly cracked asphalt, didn't feel in danger on that road, as long as I am gone before the high school kids get out, but was wondering at what point do y'all decide "not that road"?

2012-02-23 4:35 PM

User image

Seattle

I am in a volume building phase and just surpassed 200 miles yesterday. I'l probably reach  250-60-ish by the end of the month. 

Everything is holding up well. The biggest thing I have had to change is my diet. At almost 10 miles a day I have to eat an extra 1000 calories-ish. Needless to say, there is a jar of PB at my desk with a knife in it...

2012-02-23 4:41 PM

Extreme Veteran

Good Lord! 7 hours on the trainer? 10 miles a day?  I feel like such a slacker.

I did nothing today. Nada. Zilch. Kaput.

I think I needed it too.  I can't even fathom going 7 hours on a trainer or running that kind of volume.  I think I would just fall apart.

2012-02-23 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4063375

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-02-23 4:35 PM

I am in a volume building phase and just surpassed 200 miles yesterday. I'l probably reach  250-60-ish by the end of the month. 

Everything is holding up well. The biggest thing I have had to change is my diet. At almost 10 miles a day I have to eat an extra 1000 calories-ish. Needless to say, there is a jar of PB at my desk with a knife in it...

Holy crap! 

2012-02-23 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4063066

User image

Seattle
Tripopo - 2012-02-23 2:31 PM
TriAya - 2012-02-23 11:12 AM

I just finished a 7+ hour trainer ride simulating the Ironman course (a fraction over 112mi, and gear shifts resembling the slight rises and a few hills on the course).

Trainer Godess.

Got a 40 mile ride in outside in 2:20, road construction on one road actually had me going faster than the vehicles trying to get around, the construction workers told me I could ride in the shutdown area of the road except for where they were re-paving, bike vs steam roller doesn't normally go to the cyclist Laughing.  Massive headwind which became a tailwind for the ride back thankfully.

1st time on that road it is 55mph with half newly paved and the other half fairly cracked asphalt, didn't feel in danger on that road, as long as I am gone before the high school kids get out, but was wondering at what point do y'all decide "not that road"?

I dunno, there are so many decent places to ride and cycling is so dangerous already I try and err on the side of safety.

2012-02-24 6:33 AM

User image

Expert

OK I'm back!  Had an absolutely amazing time out west.  I snowboarded to my heart's content and feel refreshed and ready to get back into training.  I don't feel like I lost fitness as snowboarding was  great exercise and I believe excellent for my core strength.  I have fallen way behind on swim and bike but managed to keep up running.  IM Texas is now less than 3 mos away and I really need to get moving.   I have lots of catching up to do on posts as well.  Just have to get through this weekend at work and then I have a few days off and will certainly get in a long ride and a few swims.  Miss you guys!!!

2012-02-24 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Anybody else racing this weekend?  I've got a Spartan race tomorrow - 8 miles of trail, obstacles and a bit of swimming without goggles but with shoes.  It's going to be a blast.

2012-02-24 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4063997

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
amd723 - 2012-02-24 8:18 AM

Anybody else racing this weekend?  I've got a Spartan race tomorrow - 8 miles of trail, obstacles and a bit of swimming without goggles but with shoes.  It's going to be a blast.

Good luck!  Have fun!  We want pictures!

2012-02-24 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4063953

User image

Melon Presser
jimmyb - 2012-02-24 8:33 PM

OK I'm back!  Had an absolutely amazing time out west.  I snowboarded to my heart's content and feel refreshed and ready to get back into training.  I don't feel like I lost fitness as snowboarding was  great exercise and I believe excellent for my core strength.  I have fallen way behind on swim and bike but managed to keep up running.  IM Texas is now less than 3 mos away and I really need to get moving.   I have lots of catching up to do on posts as well.  Just have to get through this weekend at work and then I have a few days off and will certainly get in a long ride and a few swims.  Miss you guys!!!

Welcome back!

Nah, you haven't lost any fitness ... and if worst comes to worst, gee, I happen to have a Worst Case Scenario IM Training plan all cooked up already!

You'll be great ... you're used to this drill.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69