BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-02-04 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

Hey Junkies -

Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello. It's been a couple of very difficult months. Financial issues then had to put my 13 y/o dog down Friday. Anyway, I'm still training...just got caught up logging all of my workouts into BT. Plan on being a lot more active on this board from here on out.

Anyway - I've had some issues running - my left/hip area hurts only when I run, so I've been going light and slow on the running. Getting some MF release massage, and visit to orthopedist today. He said my quads/glutes were super tight and recommended intensive stretching (6-8 times a day until the issue resolves itself), and to keep running slow short distances. Ugh. Still struggling with losing weight, but now that most of my life stressors are easing up I hope that'll be an easier goal as I tend to emotional eating.

Hope everyone's training is going great!

2013-02-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4607471

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-02-04 9:32 AM
trigal38 - 2013-02-02 9:44 AM

He shook his head when I was asking him these questions and said "Nope, your problems are all your feet".

I do know that I over pronate, have really weak toes (sounds weird but true) and a lot of flex/motion in my ankles.  I have flat feet with low arches and a large bunion (gross) on my left foot which is also the same side that has that cyst. I have now told you way more than you wanted to know.

I've been in many different kinds of motion control and stability shoes and even have 3 pair of custom orthotics and one pair of over the counter orthotics. I've had foot issues with all of them. My most favorite shoes are my Saucony Pro Peregrine which are a low drop trail shoe without a lot of extra features and I wear them with NO orthotics. I really hate to type this and jinx myself but I have not rolled my ankles since I've been wearing these shoes on the trails (about a year).

Dina, I wonder if you might not be able to improve your feet?  I've been learning a lot about the lower leg muscles and tendons this year.   It's these muscles that are situated under the calf that control the motion of the foot.

The 3 muscles to note are:

Tibialis posterior  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibialis_posterior_muscle
flexor digitorum longus  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexor_digitorum_longus_muscle
flexor hallucus longus  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexor_hallucis_longus_muscle

The tibialis posterior is the muscle that allows you to roll your foot to the outside, which means it's the muscle that counter acts pronation.  I've never heard anyone talk about this before, but pronation should be curable.  I was a moderately severe pronator when I began running in high school.  I thought pronation led to my injuries (of which I had many) so my OCD kicked in and I became obsessive about not pronating.  I did this by HOLDING my feet neutral with each step I took as I ran.  A few years later I no longer pronated even without thinking about it.  It was just that my Tibialis posterior muscle wasn't active enough during my stride, and it 'learned' to change.  There are strengthening exercises for this muscle.

Also, the flexor digitorum longus is the muscle that allows you to push down with your 4 small toes.  The flexor hallucus longus is the muscle that allows you to push down with your big toe.

Both of these are used when transitioning from a flat foot to the ball of the foot as you run.  You said you have weak toes, so you probably have weak flexor longus muscles and you can work on that too.

In fact, I recently took some video of Jordan running from behind and noticed that her foot was turning in at toe off.  We did some diagnostic testing and found out that she has a strong digitorum and a weak hallucus...so she toes off her little toes rather than her big toe.  So we are working on strengthening that.

And trail shoes are so important for trail running!  I used to turn my ankle about every mile on the trails when I used my big training shoes.  In fact, racing flats are a better idea off road than trainers.  The important feature being that you are closer to the ground. 

Good trail shoes get you closer to the ground.  They trade off some cushioning, but it's a necessary trade off and trail surfaces don't need as much cushion as you need for pavement anyway.  Your Sauconys look like good trail shoes.

Jeff thanks for your info. I have the trail shoes because of your advice from last spring and I will be the first one to say you were right on the money.

I have some isometric exercises for my feet that the Muscle Activation Therapist gave me last year but I'll be honest and admit I probably only do them once or twice a week. It was recommended that I do them 2-3 times a day. Your story gives me a little hope that maybe if I actually stick with them I can make a change in my feet so this will be my new goal. For the exercises I lay on my back with my legs bent at the knees, contract/squeeze my toes, point one foot to the ceiling and press the toes of the other foot into the heel. The other exercise is the same position but instead of pressing into the heel I press into the ball of the opposite foot. I am supposed to do these exercises at 30% exertion, hold for 6", rest for 5", repeat 6 times each foot. Not sure how easy those are to picture from my descriptions!

But I'll welcome any other suggestions you have. It sounds like you know what I'm dealing with. My little toes, especially pinky toes are pretty useless. When I had the MAT therapy he spent lots of time working just on my toes and that pinky toe kind of hurt.

2013-02-04 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Karl congrats on finishing the HM, that's a great time. I'm also glad to hear that your ITB did not slow you down and seems to be getting better for you. How did Pam do in the marathon?

Warren I hope things workout with the acquisition. I know Oracle took over Sun several years ago and I work with some people who were on that account as they were outsourcing their network to us. Well that did not last long they took it back. I really hope they do give you and your team an opportunity there.

Trinia good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear about your dog and all the other things that have been make things tough for you. I hope the strecthing helps and your able to get back to doing some longer runs.

I've completed nine weeks of Jorge's winter cycling plan and am still here to talk about it. It's nice to get over the halfway mark and it certainly hasn't been easy but I am definitely feeling and seeing results from that. This is the last week of the unstructured swim and run workouts. I will start the IronFit 30 week intermediate plan for the swim and run next week while continuing Jorge's cycling plan. That will truly get me started on training for IMWI. After 3 subpar weeks I finally got a decent week in last week and hope to keep it going this week.

2013-02-04 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4608317

User image

Bronze member
kickitinok - 2013-02-04 4:24 PM

Hey Junkies -

Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello. It's been a couple of very difficult months. Financial issues then had to put my 13 y/o dog down Friday. Anyway, I'm still training...just got caught up logging all of my workouts into BT. Plan on being a lot more active on this board from here on out.

Anyway - I've had some issues running - my left/hip area hurts only when I run, so I've been going light and slow on the running. Getting some MF release massage, and visit to orthopedist today. He said my quads/glutes were super tight and recommended intensive stretching (6-8 times a day until the issue resolves itself), and to keep running slow short distances. Ugh. Still struggling with losing weight, but now that most of my life stressors are easing up I hope that'll be an easier goal as I tend to emotional eating.

Good to hear from you and glad you are back!

I know just how you feel having to put your dog down. I had to do the same in December. I still miss her every day even with the new puppy. Of course that might be why I miss her every day....

I'm running slow and short too and have been for about a year now. Sometimes it feels like I'm not making any progress but I just tell myself at least I am still running. This slog is still better than nothing so keep at it! I fought my way through many potential injuries running this way for the last year and I am finally feeling like I am at a place I can actually start to build from - maybe. .

2013-02-04 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Tony, Jorges plan and HIM training...well have you heard the saying if it doesn't kill you it is good for you...lol  just saying...  Keep us informed and good luck.  All the Junkies have confidence in you and are pulling fo you!!!

Pam did real good on her marathon.  It was a PR for her...she is not fast but she is like the energizer bunny...goes and goes and goes..... and she was talking the whole 26.2...lol

Trina, so sorry about the dog and finances.  Hey good luck with the weight loss.  I'm assuming the dr gave you lots of stretches to do.  Good Luck

2013-02-04 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

After seeing the others, I decided to post a couple pics of my running sneaks.  Hmmmm... I'm guessing I might be a heel striker.  Is this okay?  Or am I a bad person?

edit- took off pics

Edited by pistuo 2013-02-05 11:21 PM

2013-02-05 4:21 AM
in reply to: #4608368

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
trigal38 - 2013-02-04 6:05 PM
kickitinok - 2013-02-04 4:24 PM

Hey Junkies -

Good to hear from you and glad you are back!

I know just how you feel having to put your dog down. I had to do the same in December. I still miss her every day even with the new puppy. Of course that might be why I miss her every day....

I'm running slow and short too and have been for about a year now. Sometimes it feels like I'm not making any progress but I just tell myself at least I am still running. This slog is still better than nothing so keep at it! I fought my way through many potential injuries running this way for the last year and I am finally feeling like I am at a place I can actually start to build from - maybe. .

I'm sorry about your companion as well and hope that your hip pain isn't serious. Glad to see you back on here!

2013-02-05 4:26 AM
in reply to: #4608349

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
strikyr - 2013-02-04 5:54 PM

Karl congrats on finishing the HM, that's a great time. I'm also glad to hear that your ITB did not slow you down and seems to be getting better for you. How did Pam do in the marathon?

Warren I hope things workout with the acquisition. I know Oracle took over Sun several years ago and I work with some people who were on that account as they were outsourcing their network to us. Well that did not last long they took it back. I really hope they do give you and your team an opportunity there.

Trinia good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear about your dog and all the other things that have been make things tough for you. I hope the strecthing helps and your able to get back to doing some longer runs.

I've completed nine weeks of Jorge's winter cycling plan and am still here to talk about it. It's nice to get over the halfway mark and it certainly hasn't been easy but I am definitely feeling and seeing results from that. This is the last week of the unstructured swim and run workouts. I will start the IronFit 30 week intermediate plan for the swim and run next week while continuing Jorge's cycling plan. That will truly get me started on training for IMWI. After 3 subpar weeks I finally got a decent week in last week and hope to keep it going this week.

Tony-

Congrats on pushins through your subpar 3 weeks (which sounds a little to me like a writer's block). I am hoping the grass looks a little greener. I will be watching and following your training this Spring in an effort to begin thinking about how I will train at this time next year for the HIM.  

2013-02-05 4:40 AM
in reply to: #4608754

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
pistuo - 2013-02-04 11:26 PM

After seeing the others, I decided to post a couple pics of my running sneaks.  Hmmmm... I'm guessing I might be a heel striker.  Is this okay?  Or am I a bad person?

I cannot see your pics.  I keep getting a pop up requiring a password from Mobberly. 

Edited by DirkP 2013-02-06 4:26 AM
2013-02-05 5:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Karl and Jen:congratulations on your HM great times for both of you!

Trina: Iam sorry about your dog, and the rest of your struggles.

Tony: nice work with your biking and soon the IM training

Waren: I will pray all goes well for you with the new company.

Will I also keep getting a pop up on your picture..
2013-02-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4608892

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-02-05 5:40 AM
pistuo - 2013-02-04 11:26 PM

After seeing the others, I decided to post a couple pics of my running sneaks.  Hmmmm... I'm gue

ssing I might be a heel striker.  Is this okay?  Or am I a bad person?

I cannot see your pics.  I keep getting a pop up requiring a password from Mobberly. 

I have the same problem - I thought my computer had a virus this morning when I saw that pop-up. Whheeww... .I am relieved! 

2013-02-05 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
It is still popping up on mine...lol
2013-02-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4608975

User image

Expert
MI
jenbmosley - 2013-02-05 7:59 AM
DirkP - 2013-02-05

I have the same problem - I thought my computer had a virus this morning when I saw that pop-up. Whheeww... .I am relieved! 

LOL I didn't know why that was happening either!

2013-02-05 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Will, try putting your shoe pictures on your BT photo album.  It worked pretty good for me.  I'm getting that popup, too.
2013-02-05 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4608103

User image

NH

jenbmosley - 2013-02-04 3:18 PM

Warren- I hope the Oracle takeover fares well for you. I'm not too familiar with Oracle's rap sheet - I have studied General Electric extensively and a few others. Does Oracle have a long history of takeover's?

Apparently Oracle has done 91 acquisitions since 2007, so yeah, they do a crazy amount of takeovers.  One of the reasons I took my current job was that the founders of Acme seemed to have little to no interest in selling the company (we were already public and crazy profitable).  But life is all about change, so thanks all for your prayers and well wishes.  If this door closes I'll trust another one will open.

And Will, yes you are evil for being a heel striker.  Do you look a little like this when you run:

(heel-striker-sml.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
heel-striker-sml.jpg (27KB - 1 downloads)
2013-02-05 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4609451

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Warren, it's possible that the changes you fear won't happen for quite a while.  If they do happen, then you can make a name for yourself within Oracle!  You and Ellison can vacation together. 

Or move to the Nashville area for a job and we can train together all the time.  !!

2013-02-05 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Dirk:  I saw your FB post about rescuing your daughter from a flat tire.  I got to do a similar thing yesterday.

My daughter texted me from somewhere saying that her car began to overheat.  She added some distilled water I had given her just in case.  I asked her about the low coolant light and she said it came on about the same time it overheated so I suggested it wasn't just a little leak and she may need to park the car.

So a few minutes later I got a call asking if I can help.  I got on my white horse and rode to her rescue.  It's a good feeling to be able to help your daughter in a time of need.

Her radiator hose had popped off and I was able to fix it.  The spring clamp didn't look to have been repositioned properly (by me, no doubt).  So we then went out together and bought some antifreeze and distilled water and fixed her right up without much trouble.

Speaking of Jordan, let me brag on her for a bit.  She recently ran her first 40 mile week...but her weeks have been so close that she is on target for 160 for the month.  She has decided she wants to try her first marathon in April here in Nashville.   I'm looking forward to guiding her through the training....which won't look any different than what she does now except we will extend the long weekend runs little by little until mid April.

She also came to the gym last week for a workout with me on the particular areas she doesn't work through her usual workout routines.  We worked shoulders (comprehensively), upper and lower back, and biceps.  The next morning she sent me a text listing all the muscles that were sore...and ended with "Yay!"  That one word tells the whole story. 

2013-02-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4609470

User image

NH
JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:16 PM

Warren, it's possible that the changes you fear won't happen for quite a while.  If they do happen, then you can make a name for yourself within Oracle!  You and Ellison can vacation together. 

Or move to the Nashville area for a job and we can train together all the time.  !!

It's funny you say that Jeff.  I've wanted to move south for a long time (I hate winter, despite being from New Hampshire), and my wife's first comment when I told her was "maybe this can be our chance to get out of here.  Everything is on the table."  So be careful what offers you make!

At the end of the day, I decided two years ago after my last company was bought and the new company offered me a place "at the big people's table", that what they expected in return wasn't something I wanted to give. I am happy being a good employee and manager but not donating my life to any company., regardless of the perks.  As a competitive American, I admit it was tough since it was a truly life changing offer, but my wife had an amazing perspective on it and we're happy enough with our current lot.

2013-02-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4608754

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Will, can you edit your post and delete the images?  Otherwise every time any of us refresh this page we get challenged for the login credentials.

2013-02-05 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Yea Warren good luck...again.  I know change can be difficult.

Jeff, so glad you were able to help your daughter w/ her car and her training.  It is nice having a dad w/ so much experience and if you are not careful, you'll learn more from her than you ever imagined!  Yes, the gym gives total fitness, not just run fitness and that will help her thru life...I loved the yah!!!  By the way, are you going to run the marathon with her?

2013-02-05 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4609484

User image

NH

JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:24 PM

Speaking of Jordan, let me brag on her for a bit.  She recently ran her first 40 mile week...but her weeks have been so close that she is on target for 160 for the month.  She has decided she wants to try her first marathon in April here in Nashville.   I'm looking forward to guiding her through the training....which won't look any different than what she does now except we will extend the long weekend runs little by little until mid April.

She also came to the gym last week for a workout with me on the particular areas she doesn't work through her usual workout routines.  We worked shoulders (comprehensively), upper and lower back, and biceps.  The next morning she sent me a text listing all the muscles that were sore...and ended with "Yay!"  That one word tells the whole story. 

Pure awesomeness.  Thanks for sharing.

2013-02-05 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I mentioned Jordan's feet turning in during her push off the other day.

Here's the video.  We are going to try to correct his by strengthening the muscle that drives the big toe.

http://youtu.be/e6hDwVuzHdk

2013-02-05 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4609901

User image

Elite
far northern CA
JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:48 PM

Here's the video.  We are going to try to correct his by strengthening the muscle that drives the big toe.

I looked at it!  Wow!  I've run behind people like that and it makes me dizzy to watch.  I hope she can "fix" it.

2013-02-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4609916

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
RunningYogini - 2013-02-05 3:57 PM
JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:48 PM

I looked at it!  Wow!  I've run behind people like that and it makes me dizzy to watch.  I hope she can "fix" it.

I couldn't see it till the video was in slow motion. What are the long term consequences for someone running like this?

I kind of want to record myself running to see what I look like from behind. I'm sure I look amazing. Hahahahahahaha...

2013-02-05 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4609921

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jenbmosley - 2013-02-05 3:02 PM

... What are the long term consequences for someone running like this?

I kind of want to record myself running to see what I look like from behind. I'm sure I look amazing. Hahahahahahaha...

I don't think there are any consequences for her to worry about.  The foot turns in as she finishes toeing off so it's only crooked while it's in the air unweighted.  You will notice that for the toe to turn in like that requires that the knee turn in too so she probably knocks her knees together as she recovers her leg back to the front, but by the time she puts weight back on it, she's lined up again.

The only downside is that she is missing a lot of potential power available from a strong push off. (as far as I can see).

As for uploading your own video, it's a good idea.  Do it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119