BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed

Originally posted by jarvy01 On a positive note, my kids have their first swim meet on Thursday . We get event schedule tomorrow. After watching yesterday's time trials, I think my son is going to get stuck with fly. LOL. Seeing the 6 years olds swim their hearts out is so cute. 25 yards is like a mile to them. My daughter is picking it up. I'm one proud mama! Swimming is a difficult sport for young ones.

My kids started swim lessons yesterday.  They put the parents behind one way glass.  Pretty smart if you ask me

2013-06-18 6:31 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by jarvy01 On a positive note, my kids have their first swim meet on Thursday . We get event schedule tomorrow. After watching yesterday's time trials, I think my son is going to get stuck with fly. LOL. Seeing the 6 years olds swim their hearts out is so cute. 25 yards is like a mile to them. My daughter is picking it up. I'm one proud mama! Swimming is a difficult sport for young ones.

My kids started swim lessons yesterday.  They put the parents behind one way glass.  Pretty smart if you ask me

They did that for Fred and Gordon's lesson. They swam together (3 and 4). I think if they would have seen me, they would have wanted to stop the lesson.
2013-06-18 9:29 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jarvy01

They did that for Fred and Gordon's lesson. They swam together (3 and 4). I think if they would have seen me, they would have wanted to stop the lesson.
Mine aren't to swim meet territory yet (they're 4), but they're in lessons at the Y and love it. I have visions of them both on the corner of the Wheaties box showing their gold medals so I don't have to work anymore. A little ahead of myself, perhaps?
2013-06-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by Kuma

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by Kuma 70s and low 80s and sunny here - a perfect day to be outside.  I had a wonderful 4-hour ride on some of my favorite hilly roads near Frederick and Thurmont, MD.  One hill in particular that always kicks my butt - I rode it stronger than I have ever before.  Then made it back in time for the Father's Day presentation at my kids' school, followed by a nap.  Writing this while our grill for tonight's dinner gets ready.  I'm planning a swim for tomorrow morning, but it has been a great weekend so far...
Matt - I used to work at a camp right next to Camp David in the Catoctin Natl Park..and fished Hunting Creek quite frequently. I know Thrumont and that area well. Sounds like a great ride and a great day.

I love that area.  We went camping in Catoctin Nat'l Park just a couple weeks ago.  If the commute to work in DC weren't so brutal, I'd like to live there.  Park Central, the road past the entrance to Camp David, is one of my regular routes, as are Harp Hill (that's the one from yesterday), Gambrill Park/Shookstown, Highland School, Catoctin Hollow Road, and Hamburg.  The descent down Foxville-Deerfield Rd. to 550 and into Thurmont is a wonderful reward for all that climbing.  Did you ride those roads when you were there?  I'm curious - what camp was it?  

It is/was called Camp Greentop. It is a camp for children/adults with physical and developmental disabilities. I did it for 4 summers beginning the summer before my junior in college and while I was doing my Master's. Never biked it...would run it in the AM. Very impressive that you ride/rode those hills. Those must be exhausting to do. I bet the descent is awesome.Did you know that Thurmont is (was) one of the KKK hot beds in MD?
Yeesh! I didn't realize that. I'll have to make sure I know who the neighbors are before I ever make any decisions to move up there. Wouldn't care for that. I do love the scenery there, though. As I recall, Greentop is on the side of the mountain that I descend, so I usually pass it at about 35 mph with a big grin on my face. We'll have to get you down here so you can take a ride down memory lane!
2013-06-18 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Still a heck of a result for an Olympic! And you have been doing a lot.

I had an awesome swim today. First time I have done 3000 in about 2 years and enjoyed it. I thought of you Jen! Most swims I dread and count the laps til I will be done
2013-06-18 9:49 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Muncie swim waves are posted (and I just found out I am near last in this weekends and Muncie's) .... Can anyone help me think more positively and give me any possible benefit to being in a later wave?

I am with everyone doing new races or distances this year ... I am seem to go through a range of emotions from excited, to doubt, to terrified, to just wanting it to be over.

2013-06-19 6:23 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by carrie639

Muncie swim waves are posted (and I just found out I am near last in this weekends and Muncie's) .... Can anyone help me think more positively and give me any possible benefit to being in a later wave?

I am with everyone doing new races or distances this year ... I am seem to go through a range of emotions from excited, to doubt, to terrified, to just wanting it to be over.

I'm always in one of the last waves. I believe I'm second to last wave at IMMT. You can always focus on the all the people you'll pass on the bike and run!!!!
2013-06-19 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
1:30 run this morning. Groin and hip held up ok but I was slooooow. It was beautiful outside this morning and pollen is low. I'm really digging the Saucony Mirages.

I've let my strength training totally slide over the last 3 months. I did so well this past fall and winter, and I felt stronger and fitter while committing to the program. Next year I won't let this happen. What do you all do for strength training in season? KBs? TRX? Traditional weights?
2013-06-19 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

OMG I forgot about all these little stages that infants go through.  Apparently there is a 4 month wakeful period that Quinn may be going through early.  KILLING ME!!

I have an hour twenty on the trainer later.

2013-06-19 8:12 AM

User image

Expert

OMG I forgot about all these little stages that infants go through.  Apparently there is a 4 month wakeful period that Quinn may be going through early.  KILLING ME!!

Blake still gets up twice a night to feed so I'm perpetually tired. I feel your pain.
2013-06-19 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I remember those days like they were yesterday and am so glad they are behind us. I remember that sleep deprived feeling and feel for you.

2013-06-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Sorry guys I have been missing....I am tired, exhausted, ecstatic, anxious, and any other emotional state you can think of. Work + taper + upcoming race day is a roller coaster!
2013-06-19 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by carrie639

I'm always in one of the last waves. I believe I'm second to last wave at IMMT. You can always focus on the all the people you'll pass on the bike and run!!!!

Unfortunately at Muncie there are very few benefits to being in a late wave. The day heats up significantly and there's lots of traffic. Each wave is its own race and you just need to focus on the race you'r in and not worry about everyone else's.
2013-06-19 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I went to see Neil Gaiman in Brooklyn last night so I'm working on 3.5 hours of sleep and RDing a race tonight. I feel you.
2013-06-19 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Swimming is not tough for little ones -- ridiculously long swim meets are.
2013-06-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Dude tell me about it.  I have friends that have under 10 meets until 11 at night.  WTF?

2013-06-19 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by kaburns1214

Dude tell me about it.  I have friends that have under 10 meets until 11 at night.  WTF?

Meet starts at 5:30 p.m. (be at pool by 4:30) and will last up to 3.5 hours. Kevin will take the little boys home around 7:15. My kids have a sick amount of energy so they'll be fine......I'll be dying. LOL
2013-06-19 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I do think lap swimming is difficult for kids 6-9 years old (obviously not all of them). I'm comparing this to sports like soccer, basketball, t ball, tennis, etc. My kids have tried just about every sport out there and swimming is by far the most challenging. I think it's because it takes a while to build endurance in the water. They are still learning concepts like proper breathing, balance, etc. The 6 year olds don't even swim fly or breast yet because most of them don't have the coordination to do them. The 6 year old rock stars swimming fly are swimming in 8U or 10U...not 6U.
2013-06-19 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
I am infantile too - I typically wake at least once a night to feed.

Am solo this week - My S.O is at Disney for a week with her daughters and my daughter is with her mother for the week. This has its benefits and drawbacks too. Aside from missing them, I have to wake an hour or so earlier (4A) to walk and feed the dogs, take care of the chickens, take care of the Gecko, water the flowers, and take care of the cats - all before I begin training.

The benefits - I get to watch the Bruins game with a good beer in my boxers if I wish and I do not have to remove my sweaty HR Strap from the table.

While I remain slow with the swim...my running feels good. Did 4x1 mile repeats with an avg pace of around 6:45. 1AM feedings seem to help.

I am having a hard time keeping track of who is racing this weekend and in the upcoming weeks. Could someone post race schedules if it is available?
2013-06-19 11:37 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Regular

So vacation plans are finally settled and we're going to be in Kona for the first two weeks of July!  (Milestone birthday for my sweetie this year, so we wanted to do something special.)  I've decided to enter a swim event there called the King's Swim.  It is a 1.2 mile swim in the ocean that finishes at the same place as the Ironman swim, I think.  I'm getting excited!  The water there is supposed to be really warm so no wetsuit.  Any particular advice for the event?  Any other things I should not miss while visiting Ironman Mecca? (I'm also planning to rent a bike and ride the course some). 

2013-06-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

So vacation plans are finally settled and we're going to be in Kona for the first two weeks of July!  (Milestone birthday for my sweetie this year, so we wanted to do something special.)  I've decided to enter a swim event there called the King's Swim.  It is a 1.2 mile swim in the ocean that finishes at the same place as the Ironman swim, I think.  I'm getting excited!  The water there is supposed to be really warm so no wetsuit.  Any particular advice for the event?  Any other things I should not miss while visiting Ironman Mecca? (I'm also planning to rent a bike and ride the course some). 

Lava Java, or so I've heard.

2013-06-19 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I have a good friend who has been there the last 2 years.  I'll pick his brain.

2013-06-19 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

So here's Toby's response on Kona:

Hmmmmmm…good question…so he needs to rent a bike from Bike Works.  They have two locations depending on where he is staying.  But the rent the Specialized transition.  So he needs to rent a bike and ride the course.  There is only one highway on the damn island.  So he cant/wont get lost. 

http://bikeworkskona.com/ 

Non-Tri Stuf…..A bay and Hapuna Bay are great beaches for hanging out or families….He needs to see Volcano National Park and maybe the Macadamia Nut factory (if that sounds cool to him) I went zip lining in Hawai (Ha-V 

The Town of Kona  has some cool shops to look at and has The Kona Inn. It is a great spot for food/drinks.  Best Mai Thai’s on the island.  There is also a place called Hugo’s in Kona, cool spot for food and drinks

2013-06-19 4:36 PM

User image

Regular

So here's Toby's response on Kona:

Hmmmmmm…good question…so he needs to rent a bike from Bike Works.  They have two locations depending on where he is staying.  But the rent the Specialized transition.  So he needs to rent a bike and ride the course.  There is only one highway on the damn island.  So he cant/wont get lost. 

http://bikeworkskona.com/ 

Non-Tri Stuf…..A bay and Hapuna Bay are great beaches for hanging out or families….He needs to see Volcano National Park and maybe the Macadamia Nut factory (if that sounds cool to him) I went zip lining in Hawai (Ha-V 

The Town of Kona  has some cool shops to look at and has The Kona Inn. It is a great spot for food/drinks.  Best Mai Thai’s on the island.  There is also a place called Hugo’s in Kona, cool spot for food and drinks

Awesome!  Thanks!

2013-06-19 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scott, Larkin, and Carrie are racing this weekend. Right? I'm doing a local sprint this Sunday. The bike course goes close to my house, so the kids can ride their bikes out to the main road and wave to me . I had really good splits at this race last year and I'm just looking to better last year's time by a bit (1:15 last year). It's supposed to be 90 with t storms. Hope the storms don't roll in until after my race or Lake Erie will be rough.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86