BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

*I would however encourage the purchase of the rollers for a really great drinking game

Curious if you've tried rollers? The effect would come before the cause.

2015-07-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

To anybody interested in trail running, the US Trail Running Conference is in Estes Park, CO (right next to Rocky Mountain National Park) on Oct. 7-10, 2015.  Estes Park is about 1.5 hours from Denver.

I think I might do the Denver Hot Chocolate with my SIL the first weekend of October. She's doing the 5k, I'll do the 15.

2015-07-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

*I would however encourage the purchase of the rollers for a really great drinking game

I've seen my friend try. That was enough

Now what I would love to see is my SIL ride her unicycle on them. I assume you can adjust the space between the rollers, correct?

2015-07-21 12:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

To anybody interested in trail running, the US Trail Running Conference is in Estes Park, CO (right next to Rocky Mountain National Park) on Oct. 7-10, 2015.  Estes Park is about 1.5 hours from Denver.

I think I might do the Denver Hot Chocolate with my SIL the first weekend of October. She's doing the 5k, I'll do the 15.

I've been thinking about doing that.  I'm also thinking about taking a little time off after finishing all my tris to let my hip heal adequately before I dive into HM training for Zion.  Haven't really decided yet.  Running doesn't seem to bother it as much as cycling so maybe I'd be okay.

2015-07-21 12:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

I've seen my friend try. That was enough

Now what I would love to see is my SIL ride her unicycle on them. I assume you can adjust the space between the rollers, correct?

The two in the back? I don't know. Some might, but it's not likely. It's the one up front that adjusts for various bike lengths. I don't know how one would stay up on a unicycle as there is no front to back movement. Just side to side. Or is that what you're going for? ( ) You can't really ride up and out of the rollers. They just spin faster unless one figures out how to jump some.

There are treadmill setups for this (seriously) that might work better. Some even have a safety suspension harness.

2015-07-21 12:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Showing her how it's done, huh?

2015-07-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

TJ's only doing the 15K for all the bling and the fancy jacket.

2015-07-21 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I actually got the nicer jacket on Yerdle because I'd done the 15k and my jacket sucked. I'm looking forward to the PPA jacket!!!!

2015-07-21 12:36 PM

User image

Seattle

I actually got the nicer jacket on Yerdle because I'd done the 15k and my jacket sucked. I'm looking forward to the PPA jacket!!!!

There's a PPA jacket? I need to read things.

2015-07-21 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Ref the rollers. I must admit, these rollers look nice http://www.insideride.com/although a bit pricey. I'm sure I read somewhere they offer an electrical resistance model too, I think.

I suppose it depends what you want them for. I imagine a good trainer would be more versatile for you. If you're looking at going down the zwift route then look at the electrically controlled resistance trainers. Wahoo has brought a cheaper version of its kickr, not sure of how it compares though.
2015-07-21 12:55 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref the rollers. I must admit, these rollers look nice http://www.insideride.com/although a bit pricey. I'm sure I read somewhere they offer an electrical resistance model too, I think. I suppose it depends what you want them for. I imagine a good trainer would be more versatile for you. If you're looking at going down the zwift route then look at the electrically controlled resistance trainers. Wahoo has brought a cheaper version of its kickr, not sure of how it compares though.

OK, so here is a quick roller update before I head into a 3 hour training class. 

Wow, that was an eye opener. Concentration and an ability to not twitch the handlebars are a must. We had them in a hallway in the LBS and I had a hand on the wall the entire time.  The flip side of this is that I could see that the supporting muscles would be involved to a big degree, which is a plus, if I could ever get fully comfortable on the darn things.  I'm going to do more research on what is available and peruse some Amazon reviews, which should be interesting on it's own.  

Salty, I have enough drinking games simply watching "The Bachelorette", I really don't need to add this torture device to the mix!

2015-07-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref the rollers. I must admit, these rollers look nice http://www.insideride.com/although a bit pricey. I'm sure I read somewhere they offer an electrical resistance model too, I think. I suppose it depends what you want them for. I imagine a good trainer would be more versatile for you. If you're looking at going down the zwift route then look at the electrically controlled resistance trainers. Wahoo has brought a cheaper version of its kickr, not sure of how it compares though.

OK, so here is a quick roller update before I head into a 3 hour training class. 

Wow, that was an eye opener. Concentration and an ability to not twitch the handlebars are a must. We had them in a hallway in the LBS and I had a hand on the wall the entire time.  The flip side of this is that I could see that the supporting muscles would be involved to a big degree, which is a plus, if I could ever get fully comfortable on the darn things.  I'm going to do more research on what is available and peruse some Amazon reviews, which should be interesting on it's own.  

Salty, I have enough drinking games simply watching "The Bachelorette", I really don't need to add this torture device to the mix!

I've  heard enough stories about people flying into the wall off rollers that I'll stick to my trainer.  With my luck, I'd end up in DH's smelly laundry basket, which is directly in front of me.  So far I haven't fallen off the trainer.  I wouldn't be surprised if it happens one of these days when I'm trying to get the dog's toy from her so I can keep her from attacking my foot with it by throwing  it.

DH and I are thinking of making TdF commentary references to "nasty" (pronounced "NAH-stee") into some sort of game.  I swear that word gets used even more than "massive" this Tour!  At this point, we're settling for looking at each other and laughing our azzes off.

2015-07-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Hehe. Yeah, it takes some practice to get used to. Doesn't seem like it at first, but you can. I haven't really looked in awhile, but the ones Darren linked are likely to still be very good. I have Kreitler, which are well built rollers, but don't offer some of the things the Inside Ride ones do. Like the bumpers and other things to help the bike stay on (though not stay upright). Or the adjustable resistance on the fly.

2015-07-21 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've  heard enough stories about people flying into the wall off rollers that I'll stick to my trainer.  With my luck, I'd end up in DH's smelly laundry basket, which is directly in front of me.  So far I haven't fallen off the trainer.  I wouldn't be surprised if it happens one of these days when I'm trying to get the dog's toy from her so I can keep her from attacking my foot with it by throwing  it.

DH and I are thinking of making TdF commentary references to "nasty" (pronounced "NAH-stee") into some sort of game.  I swear that word gets used even more than "massive" this Tour!  At this point, we're settling for looking at each other and laughing our azzes off.

I know!  We don't need any roller-related additions to the DL!!!

2015-07-21 1:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I've been meaning to try rollers.  I always thought I was a solid rider as far as form goes, but after riding with some CAT 2 guys I got "man we need to get you on some rollers" pretty often.

2015-07-21 2:05 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

Unless you're filming it

2015-07-21 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

You are in wave 1 (of course)

I am in wave 20 (of course)

I've seen the jacket on FB but not on the site (i think)

2015-07-21 2:53 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by jmkizer

Unless you're filming it

You could always try the treadmill.  Or not. (Some people actually did manage it, or almost anyway.)

2015-07-21 3:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Just looked at the website to see where I should park myself to cheer you on.  First of all, you two are total badazzes for doing that race.  Yikes.

Sorry, but I'm not going to hike 5 miles up that route before the race. Doesn't look like they'd let me anyway.  So your choices are to see me at the start or the finish.  What's your preference?

2015-07-21 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just looked at the website to see where I should park myself to cheer you on.  First of all, you two are total badazzes for doing that race.  Yikes.

Sorry, but I'm not going to hike 5 miles up that route before the race. Doesn't look like they'd let me anyway.  So your choices are to see me at the start or the finish.  What's your preference?

Salty may have other thoughts but here are mine...

It would be awesome to look forward to your enthusiasm at the end but it would also be wonderful before the start. So I'm going with whichever you prefer

2015-07-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

On a more somber but honored note... DS2 was just ordered to place the base flag at half mast.

2015-07-21 3:24 PM

User image

Seattle

It would be awesome to look forward to your enthusiasm at the end but it would also be wonderful before the start. So I'm going with whichever you prefer

Ultimately you should just pick where you would like most to spectate from. You would see both of us relatively close together in the beginning and that will spread out more towards the end depending on the difference in our finish times. So, how much time are you willing to spend up at 14K feet?

However,  I bet it is gorgeous up there and would be really cool to see people coming up. I imagine you can see a good portion of ones journey from up there since it's all above treeline from  about 11,950' (the a-frame) and this will be where people are moving quite slowly.

2015-07-21 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

On a more somber but honored note... DS2 was just ordered to place the base flag at half mast.

Thank him. And thank you as well.

2015-07-21 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ultimately you should just pick where you would like most to spectate from. You would see both of us relatively close together in the beginning and that will spread out more towards the end depending on the difference in our finish times. So, how much time are you willing to spend up at 14K feet?

However,  I bet it is gorgeous up there and would be really cool to see people coming up. I imagine you can see a good portion of ones journey from up there since it's all above treeline from  about 11,950' (the a-frame) and this will be where people are moving quite slowly.

DS1 and I went through Manitou yestderday to scope things out. It's been a while since we were there. Cute town! We tried to drive the course as far as we could and planned to try to check out where the trail starts but there were too many tourists milling about so we couldn't park anywhere nearby. So we just drove to the base of the mountain and I thought ohchitwhathaveidone

2015-07-21 4:17 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by msteiner

I've been meaning to try rollers.  I always thought I was a solid rider as far as form goes, but after riding with some CAT 2 guys I got "man we need to get you on some rollers" pretty often.

Could be them knowing you are a triathlete?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68404 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29149 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38646 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67872 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.