Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-08-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Nathalie, that sounds like a really awesome pre-race warm up!

Thanks for the incentive ideas! I tried paying a professional last year, but once life got in the way I fell off the healthy habits (per usual). Got some great tips though so plan on incorporating them into my "this is 39" plan
I will look into the health coaching, as I think that is something that is included with my insurance. Or at least it used to be, they used to cold call me all the time (didn't love that).

Got in a 20 min Peloton ride this morning followed by a 10 minute core workout. Vball last night went well too, got in a solid hour and a half of play. My body is definitely feeling it and I love it.

I've also been super productive this week, which I always am when I travel because I actually make lists of all the things I need to do and stick with it (another thing I plan to incorporate into the "this is 39" plan).

I've been thinking about this and I think we need more information. From my perspective, there are two types of motivations, rewards and anti-rewards (or, if you want, punishments). Some of us are motivated by rewards, some of us are motivated by a desire to avoid punishments (okay, honestly all of us are motivated by both for different things and different degrees, but I'm trying to keep it simple). It sounds to me that you might not really be motivated by rewards, if you will give yourself the reward even without the accomplishment. Maybe you're more motivated by the anti-reward, and in that case, I propose we resurrect the WARM COORS LIGHT PENALTY!! Okay...no, not really. That's super gross and not exactly healthy drinking behavior.

I'm stupid consistent in my training and motivated by the very minor "accomplishment" of turning all my weekly workouts green in TrainingPeaks, but...but...here's the thing. When there comes a day I don't want to do a workout for some reason that doesn't have to do with scheduling or injury, I tell myself I have to take the time I would have spent doing the workout and do something else--something I don't like to do. I'd much rather spend an hour on a run at 4am than I would folding laundry, or the dishes...or, raking the yard for 6+ hours on a long ride weekend.

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-08-23 12:50 PM

2023-08-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Solid day for me today.  2400 in the pool (supposed to be 2500 but I miscounted a set...and yes I have watch that tells me how far I've cumulatively gone LOL), 30 min bike ride with 5' @ 100 % and 2 x 1' @ 125%, then some core work.  I'm liking this training for sprints thing. 

Hope everyone is having a good week and good, safe travels!

I just had a similar conversation with my wife. I got a new training plan for the HIMs I'm doing at the end of September and my wife said something about me going back to long workouts. When I told her the longest workout on that plan was 3:00, she may have suggested I find something else to do with my time, because she is used to me being busy now. :D
2023-08-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2350 in the pool this morning for me (I found Mike's missed 100!--and yes, I also have a watch that counts laps for me). We did a bunch of speed work, which was tough, but I managed.

One of the things I've been working on this year is to increase my strength by consistently strength training. I did body work stuff while I was in Egypt, for the most part, but now that I'm home I want to ramp up my strength training with a few sessions of personal training to learn the types of lifts I should do and how to do those lifts. This afternoon I'm going for my "fitness assessment". I have a feeling that I'm gonna boggle this kid's mind (usually the trainers are kinesiology students). Most of the people who utilize the personal training services at my gym (the student rec center) are the blue-haired set who seemingly just want someone to turn the treadmill on for them and count reps. When he called to schedule the appointment he asked me if I had any experience with fitness activities. I was in the middle of doing other stuff and was only half listening and I said yes, expecting him to ask followup questions, but he didn't. So...I'mma gonna show up today 10 days post 140.6 finish. :D
2023-08-23 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I propose we resurrect the WARM COORS LIGHT PENALTY!! .

OMG I was just thinking that a few minutes ago when writing about my screwing up my interval counting when I had a watch doing it for me. 

2023-08-24 2:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Solid day for me today.  2400 in the pool (supposed to be 2500 but I miscounted a set...and yes I have watch that tells me how far I've cumulatively gone LOL), 30 min bike ride with 5' @ 100 % and 2 x 1' @ 125%, then some core work.  I'm liking this training for sprints thing. 

Hope everyone is having a good week and good, safe travels!

My watch adds (or misses) laps randomly all the time in the pool, I don’t trust it.
2023-08-24 2:51 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

2350 in the pool this morning for me (I found Mike's missed 100!--and yes, I also have a watch that counts laps for me). We did a bunch of speed work, which was tough, but I managed.

One of the things I've been working on this year is to increase my strength by consistently strength training. I did body work stuff while I was in Egypt, for the most part, but now that I'm home I want to ramp up my strength training with a few sessions of personal training to learn the types of lifts I should do and how to do those lifts. This afternoon I'm going for my "fitness assessment". I have a feeling that I'm gonna boggle this kid's mind (usually the trainers are kinesiology students). Most of the people who utilize the personal training services at my gym (the student rec center) are the blue-haired set who seemingly just want someone to turn the treadmill on for them and count reps. When he called to schedule the appointment he asked me if I had any experience with fitness activities. I was in the middle of doing other stuff and was only half listening and I said yes, expecting him to ask followup questions, but he didn't. So...I'mma gonna show up today 10 days post 140.6 finish. :D

Let us know how it went, it will be fun reading

I need to ramp up my strength training too, I’ve been saying this for years, maybe I should get some professional advice to get me going.

I probably need some incentive/punishment idea too to get me to the effing gym though, I do hate it there…

I’ve tried group training many times, don’t like it so can’t make myself go.
Maybe a session with a PT once a week that I can’t get out of, may be costly though, I’d rather buy stuff….

Ideas welcome….

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-24 2:57 AM

2023-08-24 5:05 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Y’all…this fitness assessment was hilarious. Let me start by saying I get why they need to do this stuff and that I fully understand that some people have mobility issues that would inhibit some of these motions, and I’m not criticizing it entirely I just think it needs to be scalable. Having done the fitness test, I do not feel like I have any real assessment of my fitness.

Started with a bunch of range of motion activities. Touch your toes, hands behind your back, raise your arms, etc. then we did 5 squats and one push-up (should have been five, but this is the whole reason I’m here!! My upper body strength sucks!). Next was my favorite part…the treadmill test. 15’—every 3’ he would increase the incline or speed, or both and check my heart rate. Started at 1.7mph…2.7kph…I thought I was going to die of boredom. The incline was about 4.5%. HR was 97 at the start. Fast forward and HR goes to 92, then 90, then 87, then 84 with each increasing interval. The last interval was at 3.2mph and 14% incline. I almost reached Z2…made it up to 145bpm. The poor kid doing the test just kept saying I don’t understand. Your HR isn’t supposed to go down!

First session is next Tuesday, if I get released from jury duty on Monday.
2023-08-24 6:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Y’all…this fitness assessment was hilarious. Let me start by saying I get why they need to do this stuff and that I fully understand that some people have mobility issues that would inhibit some of these motions, and I’m not criticizing it entirely I just think it needs to be scalable. Having done the fitness test, I do not feel like I have any real assessment of my fitness.

Started with a bunch of range of motion activities. Touch your toes, hands behind your back, raise your arms, etc. then we did 5 squats and one push-up (should have been five, but this is the whole reason I’m here!! My upper body strength sucks!). Next was my favorite part…the treadmill test. 15’—every 3’ he would increase the incline or speed, or both and check my heart rate. Started at 1.7mph…2.7kph…I thought I was going to die of boredom. The incline was about 4.5%. HR was 97 at the start. Fast forward and HR goes to 92, then 90, then 87, then 84 with each increasing interval. The last interval was at 3.2mph and 14% incline. I almost reached Z2…made it up to 145bpm. The poor kid doing the test just kept saying I don’t understand. Your HR isn’t supposed to go down!

Why do you go there and not to someone better suited to to your needs/level of fitness? (other than making us laugh which is a very good reason)

750m swim for me this morning preceded by practice warm up and followed by run-to-T1-and-peel-wetsuit-off practice

I don’t usually warm up before a race but wanting to perform at my best, I will this time. Timed myself and warm up + putting wetsuit on plus a few swim strokes = 30 minutes, so I know when to start my warm up and where to go for it. This racing on my door step thing is great.

So after a proper warm up I should swim faster, no?

No

Swam the one lap of the course at 2:13 min per 100m, ie, same tempo as always. Still, I will warm up on race day, it makes sense.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-24 7:20 AM
2023-08-24 7:36 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Why do you go there and not to someone better suited to to your needs/level of fitness? (other than making us laugh which is a very good reason)

750m swim for me this morning preceded by practice warm up and followed by run-to-T1-and-peel-wetsuit-off practice

I don’t usually warm up before a race but wanting to perform at my best, I will this time. Timed myself and warm up + putting wetsuit on plus a few swim strokes = 30 minutes, so I know when to start my warm up and where to go for it. This racing on my door step thing is great.

So after a proper warm up I should swim faster, no?

No

Swam the one lap of the course at 2:13 min per 100m, ie, same tempo as always. Still, I will warm up on race day, it makes sense.

Honestly? I go there because there aren't many other options in town. Carbondale is a small town and nearly all of the resources are funneled into the university. Duplicates don't survive long. the only other big gym in town, which is actually located near my house, has changed ownership at least five times since we moved here (13 years ago)...it has been everything from a Gold's to an LA Fitness, to a Curves to what it is now--Lifetime fitness. Anyway, with each name change, more and more people move to the rec center with absolute horror stories about the cleanliness and maintenance of the other gym. So...kinda stuck. It is okay, in general, as the facility is super well equipped and has a 50mx25yd pool with diving well--not many regular gyms have that!

This was just the basic fitness test they require of everyone. I think the name is the issue. They shouldn't call it a fitness test, they should call it something like a minimum fitness assessment--can you do these minimum requirements to have personal training. I was thinking it was a test to see how/where to start the personal training sessions, but it is more of a test to ensure you have the mobility to do exercises and won't die on a treadmill. Probably just my expectations getting in the way.

Racing from your doorstep sounds great! I find that a swim warmup does nothing for my race speed. In general, my first 100 in the pool is my fastest of the day. Not sure if it is my excitement to be in the pool or if it is just that I'm fresh, or what, but almost always I can swim that first 100 about 5" faster than the main set, so I figure why waste that on warmup for a race?!?!?! (she says after swimming a 300ish yd warmup at MiTi)
2023-08-24 7:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Went for another slow, relatively short run this morning in the pre-dawn. My weather app said it was only 81 at 5am, but said it was drizzling. It wasn't drizzle, that was the humidity being registered. Soupy out there today! Anyway, 38' of running, followed by a 20' or so walk with the pup...the pup who had to be woken up from a deep sleep to go for this walk. :D
2023-08-24 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  your "fitness test" is hilarious, but like you said they're likely dealing with more sedentary people and they're trying to prevent people getting super sore or injured when starting an exercise program, or they're returning from injury; I've worked with a couple of different PTs around here where the goal was clearly "get Mike back to racing triathlons" and that makes a difference.  Right now on the advice of my health coach (I do actually listen once in a while ), I'm looking for a PT to do an assessment probably similar to what you're looking for:  deficiencies in movement, weakness, physical or muscle imbalances, etc.  It's not easy to find people that are good at that holistic approach, rather they're better at fixing a specific issue or rehabbing a specific body part.  Keep us up to date on your strength journey.

@Nathalie:  I'm feeling a great race in you this weekend - your vibe is just rolling right now and that's a good practice

Back in the gym again this morning for me...5K+ on the treadmill easy (though my easy is getting faster, sub-10 overall using 7/1 run/walk intervals - quite happy with that), then legs day (can't forget legs day!!!) and a short cool down swim to reinforce what I worked on yesterday and it helps my run recovery. 

Having gone through a transition / rest phase the last couple of weeks and seeing how my body responded, I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't taper enough for my Oly.  I feel like I could race a better Oly right now than three weeks ago.  Oh well.  I have five weeks until my sprint, so I'll do another week of base building, three weeks working on pacing/speed, then a short taper as I won't be as deep in a fatigue hole as in early August.  I also might find a run race to do during training.  There's one 8 days out (5K, so no problem with recovery) and it runs through the zoo (which is fun) but is REALLY hilly (which is not fun).  I'll probably decide that week. 

Almost the weekend folks...w00t!!!

2023-08-24 10:59 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Busy week here.

@Mike. Glad you found a race to get some revenge on. 2,400 doesn't bother me, it's not a 250m number but it is still nice and round. 200s, 300s, 400s all fit, it's acceptable. Gretchen's 2,350? AHHHHHH no no no.

@Gretchen. Your relaxed, rest, post 140.6 training is busier than most of us get during peak weeks. Kicking arse as usual. Nice job confusing the young fitness trainer. Isn't it nice when your fitness shows itself. All that work works

@Nathalie, your tandem bike guide effort for Friday is so cool. I've seen guides at a few running races around NZ and always been impressed. really, really cool you can help someone experience this crazy sport. Hope you enjoy it too. And of course good luck for your race. Past Nat is going down.

@Nicole. Nice to hear from you. I don't have anything specific to advise you to help for your motivation reward/punishment plans. Motivation comes from within and all that. But, I am also in the final year of my 30's, and I'm on a mission to end them fitter and healthier than I started them. So in some ways we're in a similar place.

You may well be different, but for me having an entry for a big event booked and paid for does wonders for my consistency. Both diet and training. It has to be something big, that kind of scares me. Something that I wont finish if I don't put in the work. I've tried half marathons, no good I can fake that, it has to be big. The pressure I put on myself, and the knowledge that friends and family all want me to succeed and I don't want to let them down, helps so much keeping the workouts rolling along. So that's why I'm entered in the Ironman this coming summer.

So, if I were to give any advice it would be to pick something big, Ironman, a solo ultra (probably good for you with your ragnar and trail runs) or something else that excites you. Something next summer so you have time to make those gains, tell everyone you're doing it. Invite your friends and family to come support you. and in 10 months be amazed at what you've achieved.

Of course we're all different. So what works for me may not for you.
2023-08-24 11:05 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Trip 1 done. Trip 2 confirmed, off tomorrow for 2-3 nights.

So far, cutback week has not gone to plan. I've done 3 easy zwifts and an hourish run during trip 1. Just been fitting in what I can, when I can. It was perfect weather for a run, so really enjoyable, but less than planned.

On top of the trips I have a huge backlog of work developing at the office. 3 of our pending jobs were ordered and became contracts this week. 1 is easy but for the other 2 I have a lot of design work to finish, and of course they are urgent. So another 3-4 days away on site is not ideal timing.

I'm going to do a longish zwift tonight watching the warriors, yes Nathalie it might just be our year, win tonight locks up a top 3 spot for the playoffs. And hopefully a run before flying tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everyone, I will try to check in properly soon.
2023-08-25 3:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN.i
@Mike, yeah maybe you did not taper enough for your oly. Maybe you should do another one next year, don’t let it be your last oly, you know you can do better.

(now you got me worried that maybe I have not tapered enough either and will crash and burn tomorrow, but that’s lizzard brain talking, right, nothing to worry about, is there, IS THERE? OMG I have not tapered enough and I am going to crash tomorrow!!)

@Andrew, I hate it when work gets in the way of training, hope you manage to get some proper sessions in. And go Warriors!!!

Re Incentive, this is a great idea, sign up for something big and let everyone know about it. Years ago (2010, the year I turned 40…) when I signed up for my first 10k, I asked friends, family and colleagues, to sponsor me and donate to charity in my name. A 10k was big for me at the time, the goal was to finish under one hour (failed). I kept sending emails to them, telling them about my training. A great way to stay accountable, while raising money for a good cause and feeling good about yourself for doing it.
Did it again a few years later when I signed up for my first sprint.

D-1. the weather, which was great all week has now turned wet. Woke up to torrential rain and the forecast for tomorrow is rain and 15C. Just like last time. No wind though, I guess that’s something.
Let’s hope the forecast is wrong (as it often is) and it won’t be so wet.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-08-25 6:59 AM
2023-08-25 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN.i

Hey, all.  Happy Friday (I guess it's now like early Saturday morning in Kiwiland).  Got in a Bikram session this morning and almost an hour on Zwift.  Legs are dead from legs day yesterday, as I expected. 

Headed to New York City to meet with some old friends which will involve appreciating some beers I'm sure.  Wife and I are planning on a long walk in/around Central Park Sunday morning so I'll get something in. 

Good luck, Nathalie...2021 Nat is toast!!!

2023-08-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck Nat!!

I swam 2600 yds this morning and then this evening probably did a workout’s worth of excited pacing around and celebrating. I got an email from USAT today letting me know I qualified for the World Championships in long course. August 2024 in Townsville, Australia! So very stoked!!

2023-08-25 11:56 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Good luck Nat!!

I swam 2600 yds this morning and then this evening probably did a workout’s worth of excited pacing around and celebrating. I got an email from USAT today letting me know I qualified for the World Championships in long course. August 2024 in Townsville, Australia! So very stoked!!

Wow! That is sooo cool! Congrats!
2023-08-26 7:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well, not only did I beat 2021 Nat but I also beat last week’s Nat (who did the 3 in 3 days). Unbelievable result. 2h50:44

Very happy. Icing on the cake, I won the race (we were only 2 women but she finished 5 minutes behind).

Race report (with details about what I ate for breakfast) to follow.

2023-08-26 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Well, not only did I beat 2021 Nat but I also beat last week’s Nat (who did the 3 in 3 days). Unbelievable result. 2h50:44 Very happy. Icing on the cake, I won the race (we were only 2 women but she finished 5 minutes behind). Race report (with details about what I ate for breakfast) to follow.

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Wow. 

2023-08-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5286590

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Congratulations Nat!!!! Fantastic job!
2023-08-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5286599

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ easy run this morning, followed by an hour of washing the tri and cyclocross bikes and trying to get the cyclocross ready for riding. Then 3500yds at the pool and now I’m ready for a nap.

2023-08-27 3:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

RR is up.

Feeling great today, still can’t believe that time.

Shame that was my last race, I want more! Well, still one 10k to go next week.

Happy Sunday everyone! (for those of you who have it in front of you)
2023-08-27 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Incredible effort, Nathalie.  And you actually wrote something useful in your RR this time. 

2023-08-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #5286601

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great job Nat!! As always, I’m in complete awe of your transition times. My wife asked if you swim in your shoes to get that T1 time! :D (keeps on mind her only experience with transition times are mine, which tend to be *ahem* leisurely)
2023-08-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #5286608

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
After a long talk with my wife, we’ve decided I’m doing worlds! I paid the deposit for Team USA and we booked an apartment in Townsville. Pretty stoked!

Also, the race is not a full, but is longer than a half. It is currently listed as a 3-4km swim, 120km bike, and 30km run. It plays to my strengths with swim and bike being a bigger proportion of the race than the run. Super happy too, because the race is on the last day of the festival and the closing ceremonies are that day. I was kinda bummed to miss them, but with the shorter race, probably will be able to hit it too, depending on the timing of both.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland