Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-03-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3403161

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
JoePetto - 2011-03-18 7:20 AM

I'm in need of some advice/reality check here.  Looking ahead, there's a race at end of week 7 I'd like to run at the 50Lite distance (Sw .8, B 40.4 run 8.8). However, that week is the single longest week based on hours and it would be foolish to train that hard and then race for over 4 hours on Saturday.  Week 6 (last week of Base 3) is also a recovery week.  I know that it makes no sense to swap weeks 6 and 7 because then I'd be hitting Week 5 (the 1st Build week) with a heavy training debt from the prior week. 

The other option is to bag the 50Lite and run the shorter sprint race.  But, having only run one Oly previously I'd like to get another longer distance race under the belt before my HIM "A" race seven weeks later.

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Stay with me here, I have a friend who is in contact with a tri coach for an IM this summer. The coach told my friend NOT to plan races during her build weeks, save them for the recovery weeks. Hope that helps. I know nothing but I respect the advice this coach provides. 

2011-03-18 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3403019

User image

Bronze member
akrenik - 2011-03-17 11:00 PM

DONE with the last long run before the big day!  Woot!  Had to ride 30 min then throw on my shoes and run 2 hours.  I have been dreading this workout.  I did it!  Yay! I am a slow runner, but for me my time was great!!  (I averaged 9:30min miles-I know that is hardly jogging for most of you, but for me that is fast. haha.)  Aside from a slight discomfort in my knees here or there, I felt strong. 

The only thing is after my long runs I feel really nauseous.  Does anyone else get that?  Any ideas how to keep my stomache from getting so upset?

Just one more big workout left in the plan...a 3 hour bike ride on Saturday.  I am leaving town to Vegas tomorrow and will bring my bike along.  Anyone know of a good place to ride out there?

Great job on your run! From another slow runner, I think your time is awesome . I would guess feeling nauseous has something to do with nutrition too. Have fun on your ride in Vegas!

2011-03-18 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3401390

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

popsracer - 2011-03-17 12:31 AM Well today was an interesting day. After a swim during lunch I was heading over to a meeting and felt some chest pain, got sweaty, dizzy. Was near the E/R so paced around for about 20 minutes trying to decide if I really needed to go in or not. Started to really feel lousy with an elevated heart rate, I'm usually 45 bpm resting and I was about 80, so I went in just to be on the safe side. Was probably a combination of chest wall muscle tightness and stress because with some relaxation type drugs my heart rate and blood pressure fell back down. Funny the alarms go off if below 50 bpm and I was back in the 40's so they sent me home. They ran an EKG and some lab tests to confirm my heart was fine. So I got a nice little drug induced rest through the afternoon. Doc saw no need to curtail my exercise so I got in an hour on the trainer when I got home. My wife thought I was nuts but I actually had my best session in a couple of weeks. I don't know, maybe I was still buzzed.

I am so glad you are ok! I am sure your wife really appreciates you being the type that KNOWS to err on the side of caution with thees types of things. So many people, especially guys, NEVER go to the doctor.

I also just read something about stress being partly responsible for well over 60% of all visits to doctors. It really can mess with our health.

2011-03-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3402544

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

fifetriguy - 2011-03-17 3:25 PM RPE v's HRM he plan provides a rpe v hr scale but is this % of MHR or is it using LT zones?

Use LT zones. Have you tested yet? If not, use this as a guide. Then read this to figure out how to easily calculate your zones here on BT.

2011-03-18 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

I'm in need of some advice/reality check here.  Looking ahead, there's a race at end of week 7 I'd like to run at the 50Lite distance (Sw .8, B 40.4 run 8.8). However, that week is the single longest week based on hours and it would be foolish to train that hard and then race for over 4 hours on Saturday.  Week 6 (last week of Base 3) is also a recovery week.  I know that it makes no sense to swap weeks 6 and 7 because then I'd be hitting Week 5 (the 1st Build week) with a heavy training debt from the prior week. 

The other option is to bag the 50Lite and run the shorter sprint race.  But, having only run one Oly previously I'd like to get another longer distance race under the belt before my HIM "A" race seven weeks later.

I totally understand your desire to have a longer race under your belt before your HIM. However, the MOST important thing is getting in the volume on that week as it is one of the most important weeks of the entire plan. Racing will either make you too tired for your training or will come at the expense of your training, which in the end will result in a possibly slower time for your HIM. The fact is that racing is not optimal until race day. Now, facts sometimes don't matter as much as your emotions and how you feel about the race, and that may mean that you do what suits you emotionally in order to feel confident on race day. But yes, I would prefer you not race at all. If you must race, do NOT go all out at race pace and DO NOT skip any of your training in that high volume week.

2011-03-18 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Well, I'll give you my 2 cents for what its worth. I would do the race but with a few very important caveats. First, I would not taper for the race. I might scale back a few of the latter week workouts or decrease intensity but most of the workload for the week should still be put in. Second, I would look at the race as a long HIM simulation but with below HIM race pace efforts. I would want to cross the finish line and still feel like I had something in the tank. Even though your next week would be recovery, you should not feel so depleted that half the week is hobbling around or healing. You need to feel refreshed after your recovery week and some people can take more than a week to recover from that long of an effort. If you cannot scale back your effort because you want to get a certain time or if you know your competitive instincts might kick in, I would not do the race.

2011-03-18 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Feeling encouraged today. completed the tri-simulation in week 8 and found my pace on the run. Not fast and I felt like I could keep it up for awhile. I would much rather be slow and consistant than running too fast and then having to walk most of the way! Bike is exciting, I found a few flats to ride and I cruised nicely at 21-23 mph. Figure if I plan for 20 at Gulf Coast (all flat) I should have plenty in the tank for the run!
Borrowed wet-suit does not fit right - gonna have to bite the bullet and either rent one or buy one. Any suggestions? I do not expect to use it much, and it would be a nice to have!

2011-03-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3403810

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
popsracer - 2011-03-18 1:36 PM

Well, I'll give you my 2 cents for what its worth. I would do the race but with a few very important caveats. First, I would not taper for the race. I might scale back a few of the latter week workouts or decrease intensity but most of the workload for the week should still be put in. Second, I would look at the race as a long HIM simulation but with below HIM race pace efforts. I would want to cross the finish line and still feel like I had something in the tank. Even though your next week would be recovery, you should not feel so depleted that half the week is hobbling around or healing. You need to feel refreshed after your recovery week and some people can take more than a week to recover from that long of an effort. If you cannot scale back your effort because you want to get a certain time or if you know your competitive instincts might kick in, I would not do the race.

Kinda came to a similar conclusion.  I may just try and sublimate the competitive juices and try and run the race as if it were a B or C level race.  The good part is that the race never sells out and I can register on race day if need be.

2011-03-18 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3403711

Expert
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-03-18 12:52 PM

I totally understand your desire to have a longer race under your belt before your HIM. However, the MOST important thing is getting in the volume on that week as it is one of the most important weeks of the entire plan. Racing will either make you too tired for your training or will come at the expense of your training, which in the end will result in a possibly slower time for your HIM. The fact is that racing is not optimal until race day. Now, facts sometimes don't matter as much as your emotions and how you feel about the race, and that may mean that you do what suits you emotionally in order to feel confident on race day. But yes, I would prefer you not race at all. If you must race, do NOT go all out at race pace and DO NOT skip any of your training in that high volume week.

I'd listen to what she says!

2011-03-19 8:57 PM

Hey All,

Just raced my first race of the year on Olympic in Lake Havasu City,AZ.  Course was solid. Water cold and choppy. Bike very technical and run was nice. Had a great race, just fitted it into the training plan. Negative split my run and felt great about that, I'm a Clydsedale Wink and beat the time I had set in my mind.  Next month my 1/2 Ironman in Tempe, Az the Marquee. 

So far feel great with the plan and know I'm doing good, fitness level wise.

2011-03-19 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Back in the plan. Am over the flu and the fatigue. 5 mile run this am then got to meet Dave Scott! Feeling super motivated and can't wait for tomorrows 2 hour ride. First one outside this year (2nd attempt!)

2011-03-19 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3405129

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-03-19 10:12 PM

Back in the plan. Am over the flu and the fatigue. 5 mile run this am then got to meet Dave Scott! Feeling super motivated and can't wait for tomorrows 2 hour ride. First one outside this year (2nd attempt!)

Way to go. Good luck on your ride tomorrow.
2011-03-20 2:57 AM

Expert

Well...I had a nice outdoor 73 mile ride today.  We were planning on doing an 80 mile loop, and I rode the first 44 and crushed them in about 2h even through rolling hills in the country.  Was hitting 35+ mph which I had never done before, pretty cool! 

We got to our halfway point and my friend had been complaining a lot--heat, hills, humidity, whatever...and had been riding 5-6mph slower and was catching up with me wherever we turned and I waited.  At halfway he said he didn't want to double back because of the hillls and heat and he didnt want to see the same thing over again.  So he mapped the shortest route back (28 more miles) not feeling so hot and did that.  What do you know...a highway with terrible pavement.  Really terrible riding and I was generally irritated, and on this terrible pavement I flatted and the constant vibration brought about all kinds of other bike problems in addition to a generally unenjoyable bunch of time.  

I was kind of in a bad mood but it was good to learn to not get what I want and to have some things go wrong.  Still kind of irritated that I didn't do the distance I wanted and that we had to do such crappy riding, but you can't win every one! I crushed the first half and felt so strong--definitely something to take away. Still my longest ride ever hope everyones training is going well!

2011-03-20 7:12 AM

User image

New user

Orange Park, FL (US Navy)

Hello everyone! I as well have signed up for my first 1/2 IM, Augusta 70.3 in Sept 2011. I also have three Sprints and 1 Olympic in between. I have used training plans (running) from many different sites, but this is my first from BT and my first Tri plan. I have been swimming, biking, and running, but not really with any direction. I am hoping that this plan with give me the direction that I am needing.

Jerry

2011-03-20 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

I did my longest ride on the trainer yesterday...  I was planning on a 50mile ride outside but it was overcast and the forecast called for rain so I decided to ride the trainer.  I rode for 3 hours...  Yep, you read it right, 3 freaking hours on the trainer!!!  It was actually fine though because it was accompanied by two dvds.  I don't think I was noodling either because the whole ride was on the biggest gear so I think I got a pretty good work out.  I weighed myself after the ride and I think I lost about 2 lbs so yeah I did sweat a lot.  I also took this chance to practice my nutrition.  My plan (I followed it) was to take a sip of gatorade and water every 15 mins and a pack (4 pieces) of shot blocks every hour.  I started the nutrition plan after 15mins on the bike.  I say it worked pretty good. My legs felt tired and wobbly after 3 hours but I wasn't exhausted or anything.  When I did TdPS century, I just drank gatorade and water as often as possible 'coz I didn't know how to do it yet. I ate at every SAG stop and drank more and I still bonked from mile 75-80 since it was my first ride over 50 miles!  Definitely a good learning experience.

Today was suppose to be a long run (1.5 hrs) but I'm afraid it would have to be done on the rolling belt...  I feel sorry for the LA marathoners who are now running in the rain...

By the way my next races would be HIM Rage in the Sage on April 16 and an IM at Full Vineman at July 30.

In all honesty, I'm starting to not follow the plan...  I followed the plan in preparation for my first international distance which I think I did good on considering I had a bike crash 2 weeks prior to the race and had stitches done to me.  What I have been doing since then is working out 6 days a week doing mostly two a day and mostly bricks.  I do something like swim 1 hour and follow it up with a 1 hour run or 1 hour ride.  It can also be 1 hour bike then a 1 hour run.  The bike rides are longer on my Friday's off and weekends. 

This plan really helped me a lot.  I think I lost close to 10 lbs since I started this plan and I'm still wolfing down food although I'm trying to eat healthier.  I know I'm stronger and can sustain a higher effort level because of this plan.  I surprised myself on Desert Tri (international distance) when I went 21.3 mph on a borrowed bike that I rode for the first time and still managed sub 8min miles on the run.  

FOLLOW THE PLAN AND DO MORE IF YOUR FITNESS LEVEL TELLS YOU TO!!!

2011-03-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3405493

Expert
arkmann - 2011-03-20 12:25 PM

I did my longest ride on the trainer yesterday...  I was planning on a 50mile ride outside but it was overcast and the forecast called for rain so I decided to ride the trainer.  I rode for 3 hours...  Yep, you read it right, 3 freaking hours on the trainer!!!  It was actually fine though because it was accompanied by two dvds.  I don't think I was noodling either because the whole ride was on the biggest gear so I think I got a pretty good work out.  I weighed myself after the ride and I think I lost about 2 lbs so yeah I did sweat a lot.  I also took this chance to practice my nutrition.  My plan (I followed it) was to take a sip of gatorade and water every 15 mins and a pack (4 pieces) of shot blocks every hour.  I started the nutrition plan after 15mins on the bike.  I say it worked pretty good. My legs felt tired and wobbly after 3 hours but I wasn't exhausted or anything.  When I did TdPS century, I just drank gatorade and water as often as possible 'coz I didn't know how to do it yet. I ate at every SAG stop and drank more and I still bonked from mile 75-80 since it was my first ride over 50 miles!  Definitely a good learning experience.

Today was suppose to be a long run (1.5 hrs) but I'm afraid it would have to be done on the rolling belt...  I feel sorry for the LA marathoners who are now running in the rain...

By the way my next races would be HIM Rage in the Sage on April 16 and an IM at Full Vineman at July 30.

In all honesty, I'm starting to not follow the plan...  I followed the plan in preparation for my first international distance which I think I did good on considering I had a bike crash 2 weeks prior to the race and had stitches done to me.  What I have been doing since then is working out 6 days a week doing mostly two a day and mostly bricks.  I do something like swim 1 hour and follow it up with a 1 hour run or 1 hour ride.  It can also be 1 hour bike then a 1 hour run.  The bike rides are longer on my Friday's off and weekends. 

This plan really helped me a lot.  I think I lost close to 10 lbs since I started this plan and I'm still wolfing down food although I'm trying to eat healthier.  I know I'm stronger and can sustain a higher effort level because of this plan.  I surprised myself on Desert Tri (international distance) when I went 21.3 mph on a borrowed bike that I rode for the first time and still managed sub 8min miles on the run.  

FOLLOW THE PLAN AND DO MORE IF YOUR FITNESS LEVEL TELLS YOU TO!!!

Nice work on the trainer.  I haven't quite ramped up to the point you are with volume, but after like 14 weeks of doing the plan pretty strictly I'm not really folloowing it either.  It has helped me so much but I am doing what my running coach suggests for running (doing a marathon after this and trying to base-build), which is like 4 days a week.  Then I am swimming when I have the time and try to get more than the total the plan suggests, and doing weekend outdoor rides and weekday spin classes.  Some weekday rides when I find the right time but I am averaging like 1.5x hours for every week.

The plan really has helped me SO much also.  I stuff my face but usually make decent choices (though not always) at meal time.  Nice work man and keep it up- we've enjoyed having you in here as part of this community!

2011-03-20 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3403699

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Thx Jessica.
2011-03-21 6:04 AM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Good Morning all, I have signed up for the Poconos HIM in October and am planning on doing the 20 week Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan. I just started reading this group discussion last night and have already found encouragement in some folks who have used this plan to successfully complete a HIM.  Also as a novice, it was greatly motivating to read there are others on this forum with less than 1 year tri experience who wanted to go for a HIM! Looking forward to following everyone and gathering tips along the way. 
2011-03-21 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL

12 weeks out from IMKs 70.3.  Been training on another plan, but need to ramp things up.  Gonna start with week 12 of this plan.

Planning to complete my second oly distance tri on May 22.  I want to improve on my time from last year, but I want to use it as a tune up for IMKs.

2011-03-21 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3405260

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Navychiefmm - 2011-03-20 7:12 AM

Hello everyone! I as well have signed up for my first 1/2 IM, Augusta 70.3 in Sept 2011. I also have three Sprints and 1 Olympic in between. I have used training plans (running) from many different sites, but this is my first from BT and my first Tri plan. I have been swimming, biking, and running, but not really with any direction. I am hoping that this plan with give me the direction that I am needing.

Jerry

Hi Jerry! Welcome to BT. When people switch to following a training plan, they usually see an amazing jump in fitness from the consistency. Enjoy this journey and keep us up-to-date on your progress!

2011-03-21 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3406221

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
NurseHeather - 2011-03-21 6:04 AM
Good Morning all, I have signed up for the Poconos HIM in October and am planning on doing the 20 week Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan. I just started reading this group discussion last night and have already found encouragement in some folks who have used this plan to successfully complete a HIM.  Also as a novice, it was greatly motivating to read there are others on this forum with less than 1 year tri experience who wanted to go for a HIM! Looking forward to following everyone and gathering tips along the way. 

Welcome to BT! We are looking forward to helping you reach your new goals!

2011-03-21 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3406379

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Gmax101098 - 2011-03-21 8:25 AM

12 weeks out from IMKs 70.3.  Been training on another plan, but need to ramp things up.  Gonna start with week 12 of this plan.

Planning to complete my second oly distance tri on May 22.  I want to improve on my time from last year, but I want to use it as a tune up for IMKs.

Hope this plan works out for you! I am so excited to see everyone getting close to their first races of the season!

2011-03-22 4:19 PM

User image

Bronze member

Did my 1000 TT in the pool today - 16 min 15 sec. Eh, I can do better. It was a solid effort but I have a chest cold which is making breathing more of a struggle than normal. Couldn't flip turn at all as it just left me feeling light headed and took half the lap to recover my breathing after the flip. Pace was fine, stroke felt good. I just finished thinking I can do better. I had a lot left in the tank for the last 400.

2011-03-22 5:54 PM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
The benefit of race prep and sims:Plan with the Scottish Duathlon champs on sun bike 40 mins run 20 mins brick planned to test posn on bike and ensure kit ok.  Actual puncture after 25 mins.  Spare tubed but pump goosed.  Called mate for run home.  Moral of this story DO that final race sim or brick folks!!!!!
2011-03-22 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3409167

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
trigal38 - 2011-03-22 4:19 PM

Did my 1000 TT in the pool today - 16 min 15 sec. Eh, I can do better. It was a solid effort but I have a chest cold which is making breathing more of a struggle than normal. Couldn't flip turn at all as it just left me feeling light headed and took half the lap to recover my breathing after the flip. Pace was fine, stroke felt good. I just finished thinking I can do better. I had a lot left in the tank for the last 400.

That's blazing fast and would put you in very good company around here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150