BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-02-05 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4609177

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
michgirlsk - 2013-02-05 10:03 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-02-05 7:59 AM
DirkP - 2013-02-05

I cannot see your pics.  I keep getting a pop up requiring a password from Mobberly. 

I have the same problem - I thought my computer had a virus this morning when I saw that pop-up. Whheeww... .I am relieved! 

LOL I didn't know why that was happening either!

I knew what it was as soon as I saw the "mobberly" attached to the address.  

2013-02-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4609451

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2013-02-05 12:10 PM

And Will, yes you are evil for being a heel striker.  Do you look a little like this when you run:

No he does not look like that.  Her is not nearly as offensive as the wildebeest in the picture.

2013-02-05 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4609901

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2013-02-05 3:48 PM

I mentioned Jordan's feet turning in during her push off the other day.

Here's the video.  We are going to try to correct his by strengthening the muscle that drives the big toe.

http://youtu.be/e6hDwVuzHdk

That's really interesting.....try strengthening hips also?  Looks like the leg sort of caves in towards the medial???

I expect you to start one of these clinics.

2013-02-05 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4609484

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:24 PM

Dirk:  I saw your FB post about rescuing your daughter from a flat tire.  I got to do a similar thing yesterday.

My daughter texted me from somewhere saying that her car began to overheat.  She added some distilled water I had given her just in case.  I asked her about the low coolant light and she said it came on about the same time it overheated so I suggested it wasn't just a little leak and she may need to park the car.

So a few minutes later I got a call asking if I can help.  I got on my white horse and rode to her rescue.  It's a good feeling to be able to help your daughter in a time of need.

Her radiator hose had popped off and I was able to fix it.  The spring clamp didn't look to have been repositioned properly (by me, no doubt).  So we then went out together and bought some antifreeze and distilled water and fixed her right up without much trouble.

Speaking of Jordan, let me brag on her for a bit.  She recently ran her first 40 mile week...but her weeks have been so close that she is on target for 160 for the month.  She has decided she wants to try her first marathon in April here in Nashville.   I'm looking forward to guiding her through the training....which won't look any different than what she does now except we will extend the long weekend runs little by little until mid April.

She also came to the gym last week for a workout with me on the particular areas she doesn't work through her usual workout routines.  We worked shoulders (comprehensively), upper and lower back, and biceps.  The next morning she sent me a text listing all the muscles that were sore...and ended with "Yay!"  That one word tells the whole story. 

Truth be told, I was actually pretty upset with her.  Lis had mentioned to her last weekend that her tire was low and she did nothing about it.................until last night........when it went flat!  So after my ART appointment, my swim, a late supper and an interrupted driveway shovel excursion, it was 8:15 when I found out he tire was flat.  It turned out to be no big deal and I had about 20 minutes of driving to allow my blood pressure to go down.  It was all good by the time I got to her and I somewhat scolded her for her lack of action.  Then, as I was changing her rear tire I looked to the front...............it had under 20 pounds of air in it.  I further lectured her that winter is the worst time to allow tires to get low and finished up the change and headed home.  She headed for a friends house and I haven't seen her since.  (She's at work right now.)

So for those of you not hooked up with me on FB  this is what met me at the computer where I sit for my breakfast...................

Congrats to Jordan for a huge accomplishment!  I remember the first time I hit 40 MPW.  It felt so HUGE!  With you providing her coaching she'll blow the marathon up!

2013-02-05 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4609486

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

wbayek - 2013-02-05 12:25 PM  As a competitive American, I admit it was tough since it was a truly life changing offer, but my wife had an amazing perspective on it and we're happy enough with our current lot.

And this, my friend, is what sets you apart from so many people.  Your commitment to your family is very obvious from all of the things I've seen from you on this site and FB.  Congratulations for being a fine man, father and husband!!!

BTW, We may be hiring for a couple of position as transmission line mechanics on my crew in the coming months.  How do you feel about about climbing 60-90 foot wood poles and working steel lattice towers or poles?  The only bad things I can think of is that your boss would be a TYRANT! and the weather here isn't much different than NH.

2013-02-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4609901

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-02-05 2:48 PM

I mentioned Jordan's feet turning in during her push off the other day.

Here's the video.  We are going to try to correct his by strengthening the muscle that drives the big toe.

http://youtu.be/e6hDwVuzHdk

Cool video! I'd love to see a follow up. I'm not surprised she is so hard working and motivated with a Dad like you!

2013-02-05 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

And for my final post of the evening.

In the last group several of us considered racing at Indianapolis for the Tri-Indy race.  This race is on Sunday, August 4 of this year.  They have 2 distances; a sprint and an olympic.  Both of them start nearly simultaneously and share the same course.  The swim is in a canal through downtown Indy with the bike and run through the city streets.  This is a rather large race with anywhere from 450-alomost 600 competing in the Oly.  I have never done the sprint but I know it has equal or greater numbers than the Oly.

Here is the link to Tri-Indy with all the info you may need if you consider doing this race.  The race doesn't really provide much of an early registration discount but currently the fee is $70 through May 31, then going up to $75 after that.  You can even register on race day fro $80 if you chose to do that.

Jeff and I discussed making it a head to head race between he and I, as well as seeing several of the group members showing up.  I am going to register soon and I thought I would throw it out for the rest of the group too.

Who's in???

2013-02-05 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Dirk...I may see a road trip on the horizon....What do you say Warren?  Of course, we will use the excuse that we had to sit in the car for so long to not kick your butts.

I finally got a good set of workouts in tonight.  Was able to pull of a short run, a decent bike and a tough swim.  Time for bed!

2013-02-05 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4610272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DirkP - 2013-02-05 8:16 PM

In the last group several of us considered racing at Indianapolis for the Tri-Indy race.  This race is on Sunday, August 4 of this year.  They have 2 distances; a sprint and an olympic.  Both of them start nearly simultaneously and share the same course.  The swim is in a canal through downtown Indy with the bike and run through the city streets.  This is a rather large race with anywhere from 450-alomost 600 competing in the Oly.  I have never done the sprint but I know it has equal or greater numbers than the Oly.

Here is the link to Tri-Indy with all the info you may need if you consider doing this race.  The race doesn't really provide much of an early registration discount but currently the fee is $70 through May 31, then going up to $75 after that.  You can even register on race day fro $80 if you chose to do that.

Jeff and I discussed making it a head to head race between he and I, as well as seeing several of the group members showing up.  I am going to register soon and I thought I would throw it out for the rest of the group too.

Who's in???

Sara and I were just talking about this race the other day, and I think you are going to have to thank Lisa for me. During the great buckeye last year Lisa talked about this race with Sara, and surprisingly Sara told me I should do this race! I guess she was intrigued about how she would be able watch quite a bit of the race! It's not often I get a gimme like that, normally I have to beg and plead to just do a small local 5k. Let alone travel for a race, anyway I'm in for the Oly!
2013-02-05 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4610384

User image

Expert
MI
Had a physical therapy session this morning. Tonight my hamstring tension is the worst it's been in a very long time. I thought PT was supposed to avoid this kind of thing? It's the whole reason I wanted to start PT in the first place- because I was starting to feel that tension and didn't want it to get to a worse place.
2013-02-05 11:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Sorry everyone!  Now I really am evil for posting pics from my email... ha!  I actually thought I had a virus too when I just logged on... ha!  

Anyway, I deleted the pics, but I think Dirk you will have to delete them from your quote as well... 

Okay, I've got the pics in my photos... basically, the heels have rubbed all the way off and the rest of the shoe still has good tread... so, am I a bad person?

2013-02-06 4:42 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I finally remembered to do my weigh in before work this morning.  I am down 1 more leaving me at 17 pounds.  I have 7 more to go but it's going slower than I would like.  Stupid junk food!!
2013-02-06 6:04 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
So I'm back up 2 lbs from when I did the juice fast.  I'm pleased with that though because it still puts me down overall 3 from 2 weeks ago.  Steady improvement.  I'm sticking to a better diet and psyched to have the exercise bug again.  It took me a long time to be motivate myself to the 2 workouts a day routine.  Woohoo!!!  I'm excited!
2013-02-06 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4610415

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

michgirlsk - 2013-02-05 10:33 PM Had a physical therapy session this morning. Tonight my hamstring tension is the worst it's been in a very long time. I thought PT was supposed to avoid this kind of thing? It's the whole reason I wanted to start PT in the first place- because I was starting to feel that tension and didn't want it to get to a worse place.

It's very easy to get frustrated when things aren't improving at the rate we want or expect.  Nothing makes me more upset than to put a bunch of effort in to try to make things better and not see any improvement.  All I can tell you is stick to it.  Keep up the work that the PT tells you to do and have faith.  You HAVE to be patient.  This is obviously going to take a while.  I can tell you that I did dedicated weekly PT for 6 months to get my plantar fascitis to go away.  This will get better.  Keep at it!

2013-02-06 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4610603

User image

Expert
MI
jgerbodegrant - 2013-02-06 7:14 AM

michgirlsk - 2013-02-05 10:33 PM Had a physical therapy session this morning. Tonight my hamstring tension is the worst it's been in a very long time. I thought PT was supposed to avoid this kind of thing? It's the whole reason I wanted to start PT in the first place- because I was starting to feel that tension and didn't want it to get to a worse place.

It's very easy to get frustrated when things aren't improving at the rate we want or expect.  Nothing makes me more upset than to put a bunch of effort in to try to make things better and not see any improvement.  All I can tell you is stick to it.  Keep up the work that the PT tells you to do and have faith.  You HAVE to be patient.  This is obviously going to take a while.  I can tell you that I did dedicated weekly PT for 6 months to get my plantar fascitis to go away.  This will get better.  Keep at it!

Thank you. I appreciate that.

2013-02-06 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4610603

User image

Bronze member
jgerbodegrant - 2013-02-06 6:14 AM

Great reply from Jonathan. Stick with it and you also may want to call your therapist. Did they tell it might feel worse before it gets better? I would just make sure you communicate because there might be something they can do for differently next time or something you can do to feel better throughout the day today.

2013-02-06 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4610228

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-02-05 7:41 PM
JeffY - 2013-02-05 12:24 PM

Dirk:  I saw your FB post about rescuing your daughter from a flat tire.  I got to do a similar thing yesterday.

My daughter texted me from somewhere saying that her car began to overheat.  She added some distilled water I had given her just in case.  I asked her about the low coolant light and she said it came on about the same time it overheated so I suggested it wasn't just a little leak and she may need to park the car.

So a few minutes later I got a call asking if I can help.  I got on my white horse and rode to her rescue.  It's a good feeling to be able to help your daughter in a time of need.

Her radiator hose had popped off and I was able to fix it.  The spring clamp didn't look to have been repositioned properly (by me, no doubt).  So we then went out together and bought some antifreeze and distilled water and fixed her right up without much trouble.

Speaking of Jordan, let me brag on her for a bit.  She recently ran her first 40 mile week...but her weeks have been so close that she is on target for 160 for the month.  She has decided she wants to try her first marathon in April here in Nashville.   I'm looking forward to guiding her through the training....which won't look any different than what she does now except we will extend the long weekend runs little by little until mid April.

She also came to the gym last week for a workout with me on the particular areas she doesn't work through her usual workout routines.  We worked shoulders (comprehensively), upper and lower back, and biceps.  The next morning she sent me a text listing all the muscles that were sore...and ended with "Yay!"  That one word tells the whole story. 

Truth be told, I was actually pretty upset with her.  Lis had mentioned to her last weekend that her tire was low and she did nothing about it.................until last night........when it went flat!  So after my ART appointment, my swim, a late supper and an interrupted driveway shovel excursion, it was 8:15 when I found out he tire was flat.  It turned out to be no big deal and I had about 20 minutes of driving to allow my blood pressure to go down.  It was all good by the time I got to her and I somewhat scolded her for her lack of action.  Then, as I was changing her rear tire I looked to the front...............it had under 20 pounds of air in it.  I further lectured her that winter is the worst time to allow tires to get low and finished up the change and headed home.  She headed for a friends house and I haven't seen her since.  (She's at work right now.)

So for those of you not hooked up with me on FB  this is what met me at the computer where I sit for my breakfast.................. 

Congrats to Jordan for a huge accomplishment!  I remember the first time I hit 40 MPW.  It felt so HUGE!  With you providing her coaching she'll blow the marathon up!

Dirk & Jeff-

I just want to say that I think you are both very awesome fathers! I am inspired to see others raising strong daughters! I grew up as an only girl in a traditional Croatian household surrounded my men (it was just me and my grandmother) and my responsibilities were VERY domestic, and nothing beyond that. I have been paving my own way since I was about 17 and got on a snowboard. I now have two daughters of my own and hope to raise them to be strong young ladies! I think you guys are awesome!

2013-02-06 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Who's in???

I just checked it out - According to handy dandy Google Maps, it will be a 12 hour drive for me and 765 miles. HHmmmm.... I don't know how my hubby would feel about this adventure. I think he would be all in if we can get grandma to keep the kids for the weekend and if he can golf while we are there. Any good golf courses around?

2013-02-06 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

WOW, I go home sick and not on the computer for a while and miss a lot!!!  Ya'll quit sending this sickness to me..no training today...

Samantha, several thoughts on therapy. Like Jonathon said, patience but also look at the therapist too, some are better for others or respond to others, just like medicine, what is good for 1 person is bad for another.  I've been to 5 massage people here in town and only 1 works for me.  I'm sure they are all good masseuses but just not for my needs.  

Dirk and Jeff, ya'll have lucky children and ya'll are lucky to have your children.  It is amazing how they can wrap us around their fingers...lol  and I learn so much from mine.

Jonathon, 2 w/o's a day, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!  You will find you love them afte a while!!

I'm going to have to pass on the tri-indy, that would be a major road trip for us...lol  but I'll be cheering for ya'll.  I can already see the tension building...lol

Jen, I know what you look like from behind...you left me like a bullet in the HM!!!  Remember what Pam told you..lol

Well the official results are in.  The 1st 1/2 of the HM was 1:06, the 2nd half was 1:00 so I almost cut a minute off my pace for the last half.

The marathon winners and check how close it was over 26.2 miles...  1st 2:23:22, 2nd 2:23:35 and 3rd 2:23:48

2013-02-06 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I tried to post last night and my internet connectivity just did not cooperate with me so I went to bed but was able to catch up a bit on the posts last night.

Man I have to say I hate, hate, hate, hate the first workout of each week of Jorge's plan. The 6x4's @20 MP are just killing me. Last night I did the first 3 and I did pretty well I was hanging in there staying close to my 20 MP but on the 4th one the wheels started coming off and the 5th I started to crash and burn. I was so mad after that I threw my hat off and went into a profaintly laced tirade for the next four minutes dropping many F bombs and cursing Jorge and his plan up and down. However I did nail that interval, I just put my head down and powered it out. It is so fustrating not to be able to complete the workout the way it should be done. This is the 3rd week in a row I have had my butt handed to me. I am so sick and tired of getting beat by this workout. I know I am capable of doing this that is the fustrating part. I guess I will have to wait until next week and try it again. Apologies for the rant I just had to vent on this one.

2013-02-06 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Tony, rant any time you want.  This is just like golf, frustrating but we keep coming back for more.  Look at how far you have comCongrats!!!

2013-02-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4610640

User image

Expert
MI
trigal38 - 2013-02-06 7:57 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2013-02-06 6:14 AM

Great reply from Jonathan. Stick with it and you also may want to call your therapist. Did they tell it might feel worse before it gets better? I would just make sure you communicate because there might be something they can do for differently next time or something you can do to feel better throughout the day today.

The evaluation was done by one PT (a guy), and my two sessions have been with another (a girl).  My sessions almost remind me of my previous failed experience... mostly what we're doing is stretching... I will definitely talk about it with the PT at my next session (Friday), but I guess my hesitance (if that's the right word?) is I don't want it to seem like I feel like I know more than her, obviously I don't.  But in my past experiences, I feel what's worked best is focusing on glutes and hip alignment... neither of which we've really done.  Also, in retrospect, I didn't really like one response I received to something I said... I said something like will be be working on realigning my hips, and the response was "if you think that's what will help, we can work on it"... it just seemed so passive... I also did mention to the second PT that we never finished up the eval, the first PT mentioned we would do treadmill work (due to the delayed start we did not have time), and I mentioned it to the second PT in our first session and she was like yeah we can do that... we still have not. 

It's like, I understand that stretching is important (she emphasizes this a lot)... but I don't feel like that's getting to the root of the issue.  And sometimes I feel if I do speak up it's like I'm undermining her knowledge or something... because personally I would like at least some significant time on glutes and hip position work... but I'm not the expert so I could be wrong in my thinking...

In terms of the "it may feel worse before it gets worse"... in the eval, he did say he would like to try to reaggravate a problem to help it, but the girl who I've been working with has not mentioned this at all... but I will send an e-mail to the office about this, thanks.

2013-02-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4610813

User image

Expert
MI
Wanted to start this as a new topic, but related to some my PT mentioned.. Do you guys find it necessary to warm up for an easy run??  She tells me to be sure to warm up before every run.  I have mentioned to her most of my runs are not that fast (which now I feel that was a poor choice of words- I should have said not very strenuous), but she still tells me to stretch before running.  I have said I don't like stretching cold muscles, and her response is that the stretching is to help warm them up.  It honestly just seems xxx (not sure what the word is) to warmup for a 30 minute easy-effort run??  If it's at an easy effort, wouldn't that serve as a warm up in itself??
2013-02-06 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4610843

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

michgirlsk - 2013-02-06 9:52 AM Wanted to start this as a new topic, but related to some my PT mentioned.. Do you guys find it necessary to warm up for an easy run??  She tells me to be sure to warm up before every run.  I have mentioned to her most of my runs are not that fast (which now I feel that was a poor choice of words- I should have said not very strenuous), but she still tells me to stretch before running.  I have said I don't like stretching cold muscles, and her response is that the stretching is to help warm them up.  It honestly just seems xxx (not sure what the word is) to warmup for a 30 minute easy-effort run??  If it's at an easy effort, wouldn't that serve as a warm up in itself??

The first thing I do after letting the dog out is to work my abs to warm my body up.  Then I have a light rolling session with the foam roller.  Next I do a light stretching for my IT band, quads, calves etc.  Once they are lightly stetched and warmed up then I stretch more aggressively the same areas.  Then I run, short 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, do this 2 times to get my legs warmed up before I start my run.  I just found some very aggressive IT band stretches I like on youtube.

When biking, I just spin for about 5 minutes before I start biking hard.

I hope this helps and you get things worked out!

2013-02-06 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Who's in???

Dirk I would love nothing more than to head out to Indy and race with you guys but I think I will probably have to defer this year. With the two trips to Syracuse and Wisconsin I don't think I can swing it however I will have my sights set on doing a race with you guys in 2014 if you are up for it whether it's Indy or some over race that I can do with you guys. No IM's for 2014 for me, getting back to marathoning and going to do as many short Tri races as I can and I'll probably do one HIM somewhere. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119