BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-08-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

Bob/Rene again awesome jobs.

2010-08-04 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Race report is up. Thanks for all the support. This is a great group.

Rene, awesome race! As always, I'm hugely impressed by your athletic prowess.
2010-08-04 8:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
AWESOME, AWESOME RACES BOB AND RENE!!!  You guys ROCK!!
2010-08-04 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
hi everyone.

well, the summer is winding down for the family so that means I can get into a training schedule again and spend some more time on the group page as well. I've kept up somewhat to see how everyones training is going and to see what races you were all doing and how you did. it's neat to read how everyone did this summer. Very inspiring!

so I started training officially this week - but I've been running now for 4-5 weeks again and riding throughout the summer. This weekend while in Denver for vacation, i decided I'd run a 1/2 marathon in October to do something I've never done and never thought I could do (or want to for that matter!).  So, if the questions i ask at times are beginnerish since all of you have done a 1/2, I apologize - you have just inspired me to try new things and push harder on the things I already do.

enjoy the rest of your summer and vacations.
2010-08-05 8:59 AM

User image

NH
Good to see you back Jeremy, and that you're having a fun summer.  I think the half marathon is a great distance - manageable training but still a big accomplishment.  My only advice is step up the running volume and speed very gradually.  Staying healthy running is a lot harder than biking or swimming.  I love the quotes on this site - run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

I need to see a video of your transitions Rene, I can't even get my wetsuit off in 1:58!  And to get through that quickly in a half is nuts.

When is everyone's next race?  I have Timberman sprint in a few weeks, hopefully I'll see Aaron since he's doing the half the next day.  I'm off for two weeks vacation tomorrow, and the vacation ends with Timberman (our camp is only a few miles from the race site).  I'll be riding the course or parts of it over the next two weeks, so I'm looking forward to that.
2010-08-05 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

My next event is the Hotter 'n Hell 100.  Doesn't that sound fun?  It's tentatively on my schedule.  I'm trying to talk my wife into a road trip.

2010-08-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3024945

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-08-05 10:47 AM

My next event is the Hotter 'n Hell 100.  Doesn't that sound fun?  It's tentatively on my schedule.  I'm trying to talk my wife into a road trip.

Based on your training temps, that Hotter 'n Hell would probably be a cool day for you.
2010-08-05 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Jeremy - glad you're back! Putting a running race on the schedule really forced me to focus on my running - which I don't think I would have done without a compelling need.

The "Hotter 'n Hell" sounds awful - but you've definitely trained for it!

My next race is Labor Day - the Maine Sport Tri (Oly) - it's a local race, starting about 6 miles from our house. It's a short swim, so I'm not too nervous, yet.

We're leaving Saturday for a week on Cape Cod - I really am looking forward to some time away from work - but curious to see how I'll fit in OWS in the waters where they have reported shark sitings. Maybe *that* will make me swim faster.

Have a great time this weekend all, and Warren - enjoy your two weeks,
2010-08-06 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Hello everyone!  I'm back from vacation.  We had a great time in Williamsburg.  Spent most of the time in Busch Gardens and Water Country USA.  The day we went to Colonial Williamsburg, it was so freaking hot that it was kind of a bust.  Kids (and my wife and I) were just WILTING!  And, although it is neat to see it, it has become a bit commercialized.  My 10yo daughter said, "Every house we go into is just a store selling stuff."  I said, "that's how they keep this town up and running and how they make money." She responded with, "Isn't that why we paid 25 bucks to get in?"  Out of the mouths of babes...

Bob, Rene... awesome races.  Everyone's putting up such impressive times.  I haven't done a lick of exercise in several days, so you've all got me motivated (except for walking what felt like 100 miles each day at the parks).  I'm picking up my new bike today, so maybe a long ride tomorrow.
2010-08-06 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3025030

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-08-05 10:11 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-08-05 10:47 AM

Based on your training temps, that Hotter 'n Hell would probably be a cool day for you.

Yeah, no kidding, I thought Ray's done that race a couple times already, probably a walk in the park for you now!
2010-08-06 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Welcome back Jeremy, the summer sure does go by fast. 

Bill - I know what you mean about Williamsburg's commercialization, it sure can dissappoint you if your expecting a nice historical experience.  Glad to hear you went to the water park, we had some hot days last week.

I'm headed down to the OBX tomorrow for a couple days at the beach.  I hope to get a little OWS in. 

I picked up Be Irion Fit book as another reference for my IMCDA training planning and it has some IM plans that have the rest day on Monday versus Friday like the BT plans.  One plan is before the big bike/run workouts on the weekend to obviously be rested  before them, the other is after those worked to recover from them. 

Question: What are the groups thoughts on the rest day before/after the big bike and big run workouts as those appear to be the key workouts for IM training?

2010-08-07 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3028615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
mdfahy - 2010-08-06 7:36 PM
Question: What are the groups thoughts on the rest day before/after the big bike and big run workouts as those appear to be the key workouts for IM training?

This is something I am trying to figure out myself.  I think the answer is going to be completely individual. 

The first part of my plan had me resting on Fri then recently it switched to Mon.  I was more tired and run down feeling with the rest day on Monday.  I think the rest day on Mon was a waste anyways for me.  My legs are what needed the rest.  Doing just a swim on Mondays was enough "rest" for me.    I then decided to switch back to resting on Fridays before the big weekend and I feel much more refreshed even though I upped my volume.  I just couldn't do an 80+ mile bike ride on less than fresh legs.  Maybe if this wasn't my first year back in the saddle things would be different.  Who knows?

Another thing to consider when picking a plan is the timing of the long run.  Some plans have it on Thursdays and others have it on Sundays.  I just switched to a Thursday long run and I feel like it is working better for me.  I just wasn't conditioned enough to do back-to-back long workouts.  Unfortunately, I just read an article that said I should be doing them on Sundays until I get in better shape.  http://www.qt2systems.com/Thoughts/failure.htm Bah!

Maybe ya'll will have different results seeing as you have done an HIM the previous year and have a bigger base to build off of.  Again, I wish I could have been on a 2-3 IM plan, but it just wasn't in the cards this go around.

In summary:  If you find a 2000-3000 yard swim easy, I'd rest on Fridays, and just swim on Mondays.  Plus having a rest day planned on Fri also gives you a built in date night once a week with your spouse.
2010-08-07 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Matt,

I asked this questions earlier in the group as well - Aaron mentioned similar points as Ray does. you may be able to find it towards the front. But for the two years I've done my sprints, my rest day always came on a Monday after longer workouts (longer being relative to my sprint plan) but this year, I just threw in my rest day when I felt I needed it.

But, I do like what Ray said about making a long run on Thursday, resting on Friday and then having the weekend for the long bike. I may implement that into my plan this fall and see how that works. For me, a long run during my sprint training is 6 miles, but with the next two months having a run focus, this may help me so I can get in some longer bike rides on Sunday mornings.

Have a great weekend.
2010-08-07 6:19 PM

User image

NH
I really like having a rest day after the long run - or at most a swim so the legs get a rest.  And then the long bike can be done on fresher legs as well.  I've read and heard too much about the value of not doing back to back long ride/run days, unless your schedule really requires it. 

I guess that pretty much agrees with what Ray and Aaron are saying.  My bikes aren't 80 miles though, and my runs are only 10, so that really may not play the same as IM training.  I would really tend to agree that this may be totally individual though.

Edited by wbayek 2010-08-10 8:38 AM
2010-08-09 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

Well, I won't be racing this weekend after all.  I have some family stuff that needs to be taken care of on Sunday, so I'm going to look for another race to do in the next couple of weeks.  Aaron, that's awesome that you might be doing the Syracuse HIM.  I'm looking forward to that race, big time. Time to get back into my training.  I took almost a full week off, but it felt like I was either walking or swimming most of the week.

2010-08-10 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

2010-08-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3035813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
That's a good article on nutrition Matt.  Thanks.  I may need to read it a few times to let everything soak in. 

After reading that, I'm not sure I want to do the ride anymore.  Actually, I think that only 20% finish, because that's all that try.  There are several other distances offered that day.  Most opt for the 100K.  Well, most people from my club anyways.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-08-13 10:28 AM
2010-08-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3028956

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-08-07 8:26 AM
mdfahy - 2010-08-06 7:36 PM

This is something I am trying to figure out myself.  I think the answer is going to be completely individual. 

The first part of my plan had me resting on Fri then recently it switched to Mon.  I was more tired and run down feeling with the rest day on Monday.  I think the rest day on Mon was a waste anyways for me.  My legs are what needed the rest.  Doing just a swim on Mondays was enough "rest" for me.    I then decided to switch back to resting on Fridays before the big weekend and I feel much more refreshed even though I upped my volume.  I just couldn't do an 80+ mile bike ride on less than fresh legs.  Maybe if this wasn't my first year back in the saddle things would be different.  Who knows?

Another thing to consider when picking a plan is the timing of the long run.  Some plans have it on Thursdays and others have it on Sundays.  I just switched to a Thursday long run and I feel like it is working better for me.  I just wasn't conditioned enough to do back-to-back long workouts.  Unfortunately, I just read an article that said I should be doing them on Sundays until I get in better shape.  http://www.qt2systems.com/Thoughts/failure.htm Bah!

Maybe ya'll will have different results seeing as you have done an HIM the previous year and have a bigger base to build off of.  Again, I wish I could have been on a 2-3 IM plan, but it just wasn't in the cards this go around.

In summary:  If you find a 2000-3000 yard swim easy, I'd rest on Fridays, and just swim on Mondays.  Plus having a rest day planned on Fri also gives you a built in date night once a week with your spouse.

I like the rest day prior. If I do not do something the day after I find that I am more stiff / tight / and find it harder the day after the rest day to get moving. Good idea to test.

2010-08-13 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Just finished my race report for Troika...a little late, but better late than never.  :-)

http://rene-guerrero.blogspot.com/2010/08/troika-race-report.html
2010-08-14 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3043290

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-08-13 10:05 PM Just finished my race report for Troika...a little late, but better late than never.  :-)

That's an incredible first half iron race Rene.  Maybe you did push the bike too hard, but if I could hit speeds like that for a 56 mile ride I'd push it too just to see what it feels like!
2010-08-15 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Rene - fantastic race report...seeing my family on the course really makes the day for me...and really - you shouldn't complain about your T1 - it was still REALLY fast! Great job! Now, when's that IMCDA again?

2010-08-16 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3043945

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-08-14 3:37 AM
RunRene - 2010-08-13 10:05 PM Just finished my race report for Troika...a little late, but better late than never.  :-)

That's an incredible first half iron race Rene.  Maybe you did push the bike too hard, but if I could hit speeds like that for a 56 mile ride I'd push it too just to see what it feels like!

LOL!!  Thanks bud!  It is amazing what adrenaline can do for you in a race.Laughing
2010-08-16 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3044595

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-08-14 11:54 PM Rene - fantastic race report...seeing my family on the course really makes the day for me...and really - you shouldn't complain about your T1 - it was still REALLY fast! Great job! Now, when's that IMCDA again?

Thanks, Jen! IMCDA is far enough that I have time to figure out my training plan and nutrition.  I am currently using Cytomax, but I may have to switch to Heed or Perpetuem.

Thinking of doing a marathon late October!
2010-08-18 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
So am I crazy? This season's not even barely started yet for me...but I just found out that the Mount Desert Island Marathon registration for 2011 opens Oct 18. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic marathons, and has great reviews. Could I be ready for a marathon by fall of 2011? At that point (in my grand plan, injuries aside), I will have completed at least one HIM and would be gearing up for a full IM in 2012. Do you all think that is a reasonable amount of time to get the base in or should I push it off for another year?
2010-08-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3050100

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-08-17 8:13 PM So am I crazy? This season's not even barely started yet for me...but I just found out that the Mount Desert Island Marathon registration for 2011 opens Oct 18. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic marathons, and has great reviews. Could I be ready for a marathon by fall of 2011? At that point (in my grand plan, injuries aside), I will have completed at least one HIM and would be gearing up for a full IM in 2012. Do you all think that is a reasonable amount of time to get the base in or should I push it off for another year?

The race being Oct 2011?!!  Absolutely!  A lot of it depends on when your other races are in 2011.   With the amount of time you train you could certainly be ready.  I would wait to sign up unless it is known to sell out or something.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76