BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-12-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Good morning all!

A little late, but congrats on a great HM Allison!  Way to rock it!  As the expert now who has completed a HM, what tips can you give those of us with aspirations of greatness (and a first HM in May)? 

Yanti, I am sure your team will be a huge success.  I am jealous of those who will get to train with you!!  Good luck!

So, the past week the temperatures have taken a nose dive around here.  I think I have perfected my clothing for running in a variety of temperatures, but the only thing that I can't figure out is my feet!  I ran last night and had to stop before 3 miles because my feet were numb and my toes hurt so bad.  I had on wool socks but it clearly didn't help.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Brands of socks that are better?  Anyone wear 2 pairs of socks?  I am up for trying anything.  Oh, it was about 20°, and the rest of me was perfect, just my stupid feet were complaining!

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

2010-12-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3240932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
gadgetlaw - 2010-12-08 8:37 AM Good morning all!

A little late, but congrats on a great HM Allison!  Way to rock it!  As the expert now who has completed a HM, what tips can you give those of us with aspirations of greatness (and a first HM in May)? 

Yanti, I am sure your team will be a huge success.  I am jealous of those who will get to train with you!!  Good luck!

So, the past week the temperatures have taken a nose dive around here.  I think I have perfected my clothing for running in a variety of temperatures, but the only thing that I can't figure out is my feet!  I ran last night and had to stop before 3 miles because my feet were numb and my toes hurt so bad.  I had on wool socks but it clearly didn't help.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Brands of socks that are better?  Anyone wear 2 pairs of socks?  I am up for trying anything.  Oh, it was about 20°, and the rest of me was perfect, just my stupid feet were complaining!

Karen

I always have cold feet it seems even when I am just sitting in the house.  Here are some ideas although I won't guarantee any of them for sure haha.
1.  It is a good idea to wear wool socks as you did or some other wicking material so your feet do not get wet and stay wet and thus become cold.
2.  You could put hand warmers in your shoes for the start of your run (if they fit). I know Target has a cheap two-pack for $1. Put them on top of your feet if there is any room at all in your shoes. But this will probably make your shoe too tight but could do it briefly at beginning of run.
3.  You can wear double socks but just be careful of any running so you don't get blisters. Wear thin wicking sock on inside and thicker wool sock over it.
4.  Not cost effective but buy another pair of shoes without mesh? I am not sure how wet your winters are but you could get a pair of trail-running shoes if you can find a pair that properly fits.
5. Wear a hat...sounds stupid but hats help keep your entire body warm which hopefully will include your feet.
6. Jog in place for a bit inside first to warm yourself up and get your blood flowing.

I like Smartwool socks for winter.  Hope this helps some!
2010-12-10 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3244590

User image

Master
blackledge - 2010-12-10 1:33 PM

Karen

I always have cold feet it seems even when I am just sitting in the house.  Here are some ideas although I won't guarantee any of them for sure haha.
1.  It is a good idea to wear wool socks as you did or some other wicking material so your feet do not get wet and stay wet and thus become cold.
2.  You could put hand warmers in your shoes for the start of your run (if they fit). I know Target has a cheap two-pack for $1. Put them on top of your feet if there is any room at all in your shoes. But this will probably make your shoe too tight but could do it briefly at beginning of run.
3.  You can wear double socks but just be careful of any running so you don't get blisters. Wear thin wicking sock on inside and thicker wool sock over it.
4.  Not cost effective but buy another pair of shoes without mesh? I am not sure how wet your winters are but you could get a pair of trail-running shoes if you can find a pair that properly fits.
5. Wear a hat...sounds stupid but hats help keep your entire body warm which hopefully will include your feet.
6. Jog in place for a bit inside first to warm yourself up and get your blood flowing.

I like Smarwool socks, too.  They are super comfy.  I just got a new pair of socks that I love love love.  They are called feetures.  Got them at my local running store.  They are good and thick for colder weather and have a little support.  I thought my feet were numb from the cold on my last run, but it turns out that I had the shoelaces too tight.  I wasn't use to lacing up over the thicker socks, so I was cutting off the circulation on the top of my foot where the shoelaces hit.  Yes, I am blonde.
2010-12-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3244703

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
crews - 2010-12-10 3:49 PM
blackledge - 2010-12-10 1:33 PM

Karen

I like Smarwool socks, too.  They are super comfy.  I just got a new pair of socks that I love love love.  They are called feetures.  Got them at my local running store.  They are good and thick for colder weather and have a little support.  I thought my feet were numb from the cold on my last run, but it turns out that I had the shoelaces too tight.  I wasn't use to lacing up over the thicker socks, so I was cutting off the circulation on the top of my foot where the shoelaces hit.  Yes, I am blonde.

Thanks Ryan and Carla!  You know I just realized that I was wearing new shoes.  My old shoes have yankz in them, but I haven't put the new yankz in my new shoes yet, and they actually did feel a little odd as I was lacing them up!  And I am not blonde!  I will check out the Smartwool socks. 
I actually thought of toe warmers, but didn't know if they would fit in my shoes - of if they would be comfortable!  I think I will check out some trail runners.  I usually wear Asics and I see they have a couple choices - that is a really good idea.  Hopefully I will find something.  And I know what you are saying about constant cold feet, Ryan.  I always have 2 pairs of sock and really warm slippers on at home!

Tomorrow morning I am going to a running seminar put on by Jeff Galloway.  I am looking forward to learning some new things!  Anybody familiar with, or use, his run-walk method?  I do not right now, but I have been having some meniscus issues and thought it might be a good idea to check it out.  I am kinda excited to see what he has to say!

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2010-12-10 6:33 PM
2010-12-10 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I really want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who voted for the tri suit design.  And especially for saying that you actually did like it best.  Wink  I really appreciate it!  I have ordered my free stuff and will let you all know how it is when I get it.  I just had to share one of my favorite things that I ordered.  They will make me smile every time I put them on!! 
epixgear.com/garters-leg.htm

http://epixgear.com/garters-leg.htm

Karen

Okay, who can tell me why my links never seem to work.  It looked okay when I entered it, but when it posted, half the address was left out, and it didn't link to anything.  Argh, what am I doing wrong??  Okay, I kept trying and seem to have found a version that works, after many frustrating tries.  What is the secret??

Edited by gadgetlaw 2010-12-10 7:00 PM
2010-12-11 12:00 PM

User image

Melon Presser

**Des Plaines Half Marathon - March 27
Galena Tri (660yd swim, 17.4 bike, 4.3 run) - May 21
*Tour de Cure Century - June 12
Pleasant Prairie Oly - June 26
***Racine 70.3 - July 17
Chicago Tri Oly - August 28
Marathon - October-ish

Okay, lady! The brain has quit rattling, moved onto clunking, and has finally settled on a pattern which might be useful to you.

I’d suggest you train for 70.3 using Don Fink’s Be IronFit plan. It’s actually a 30-week IM training plan, BUT … it has an Oly at week ~ 18 and a HIM at week ~22 (PPO with Racine 3 weeks later would fit that very well into it). Furthermore, it’s one of the most time-efficient yet effective (meaning you’re not just training to survive it under the time limit) long-course training plans out there.

He actually has 3 levels of plan:

(1)    “Just Finish” is comparable to BT’s Beginner HIM. I think you are ready for, and looking for, something a little more focused.  

(2)    His “Intermediate” you’re looking at ave 8.5 hr/wk base phase then ave 11.5 hr/wk race phase (I think this would be a very good plan for you).

(3)    His “Competitive” (still appropriate for a first-timer at the distance) is same base, about 8.5 hr/wk, but the race phase goes up to ave 13 hr/wk.

For 22 weeks out, you’d be starting the plan on Feb. 13. That’s 6 weeks before HM. The plan’s swimming and biking average 6hr/wk TOTAL (and you’d ease up the last 2 weeks). Can you manage 6 hours of S/B in addition to your HM run training from Feb 13-Mar 13? [It’s not going to be much different if you are following a BT 20-week HIM plan, frankly, in terms of scheduling and time commitment].

I think the Century is a great idea 5 weeks out from HIM and excellent preparation, and as you said, you can control your pace. You could also decide to “Sprint” PP two weeks later if you’re more wiped out from Tour de Cure than you anticipate.

With just a little maintenance, you’d be in fine shape to do Chicago a few weeks after Racine 70.3. Also, 13mi is plenty of “long run” at that stage to build up to a marathon in October. (In fact, that COULD be your longest run, provided you do a few more, and provided you do a lot of volume during the week. Many ways to skin cats and run marathons. Maybe one day I’ll do both at the same time.) If Oly for Chicago looks like it’ll interfere too much with mary training, you could always do the sprint.

2010-12-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3244930

User image

Master
gadgetlaw - 2010-12-10 6:50 PM I really want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who voted for the tri suit design.  And especially for saying that you actually did like it best.  Wink  I really appreciate it!  I have ordered my free stuff and will let you all know how it is when I get it.  I just had to share one of my favorite things that I ordered.  They will make me smile every time I put them on!! 
epixgear.com/garters-leg.htm

http://epixgear.com/garters-leg.htm

Karen

Okay, who can tell me why my links never seem to work.  It looked okay when I entered it, but when it posted, half the address was left out, and it didn't link to anything.  Argh, what am I doing wrong??  Okay, I kept trying and seem to have found a version that works, after many frustrating tries.  What is the secret??

HAHA...Those are hilarious.  I'm thinking there may be some heads turning when you ride by.  Hope it doesn't cause any accidents.  How would a guy explain that wreck to his wife.......
2010-12-13 11:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser
By the way Carla ... I still love you, golf and all
2010-12-15 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3245246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Thank you for putting so much thought into my race plans Yanti!

I looked up the Don Fink book at my library because I wanted to thumb through it and make sure that's the plan I want to follow before buying the book but they don't have it.  In fact, none of the libraries in our co-op have it.  On the super-amazing plus side, google books has the entire thing available online!  I'm skimming it now and am hoping Santa will bring me a copy for Christmas.

I'm also considering doing a master's swim clinic.  I'd considered doing the team but the days/times don't work.  It's 2x/wk for four weeks which I'm hoping will iron out at least the biggest wrinkles in my technique, teach me how to do drills properly and get me under the 2:00/100yd plateau I'm stuck on.
2010-12-17 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all...just got caught up...good news is Allison's race schedule is almost identical to mine so I basically just got a months worth of thought in about 10 minutes.

Sorry I've been MIA...I just got an azz kicking "inspire" from Oriolepwr saying it simply was time for me to come back, so here I am.  

I've been having a hot, sweaty, intense fling with Tony Horton, and P90x but he knows I am going to drop him like a hot potato in February when I start training for Racine with Allison.  All in all, I am unsure if the P90x is going to help my triathlon, but I do see a huge potential benefit in overall wellness.  Things like balance, flexibility, coordination (not my strong point...I like to go forward, fast) are emphasized, along with strength.  I have been enjoying the mental and physical break and not getting fat from all the christmas cookies I have in the house.  And my biceps look pretty good, so there's the vanity angle...

Anyway, if anyone has any idea how to get notifications back, I am game...it keeps me involved to get those scooby snacks emails with your fabulous posts...

2010-12-17 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Click the link at the bottom of the thread page that says "Toggle Notification" and make sure it's checked.  If it is checked but you're not receiving them, uncheck it, save then go back and check it again.  If it's still not working go whine about it in the tech forum.

2010-12-17 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3252812

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Alison...I did the toggle about a gazillion times, but I am wondering if I missed the "save" piece...hmmm.

I did get your reply, so I remain hopeful.  I will head right over to the tech support forums and whine away if it doesn't work!!!

Thanks so much!  Q 
2010-12-21 10:25 AM

User image

Melon Presser
TIS THE SEASON ...

where the BT mods give me a heart attack because it looks like our mentor group disappeared aaaaaaaargh ... oh wait, we're right here, just relegated to the Geritol Mentoring forum now.

Lynn and I are doing this dealio again. While I hope this thread stays live, at least through finding out what RyRy did decide to name Baby Manatee Blackledge, you are all always welcome in the new thread, and I do hope Allison and RyRy (with crazy auntie appearances from Q) decide to host a flock of fledgling mana-whatever-you-want-to-call-your-tees too.
2010-12-21 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all,

I just wanted to show you all one of my early Christmas presents.  We had to put our cat of 15 years to sleep in September, and frankly I was heartbroken.  I finally decided it was time for a new feline friend, and this is who came home with us.  Her name is Higgins and they guess that she is almost a year old.   She is a sweetheart!

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2010-12-21 3:41 PM
2010-12-21 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3256709

User image

Master
Vista, CA

The photo isn't downloading for me.....and I'm a major animal person -- do you mind trying to post it again. Me love me some kitty love!

Yes, I'm still alive, just kinda taking a mental break from triathlon lately. I start my IM training in a few weeks, then the grrrrrr begins again.

2010-12-21 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay, I am feeling old because first I couldn't post a link last week, now I can't post a picture!  I can see it so I don't know what I did wrong!  How about this:

Karen

2010-12-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3256883

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Yeah!!!! You're not old -- maybe sometimes techincally challenged...join the club.

GREAT KITTY!! A Christmastime kitty. Congrats. What's the name?

Nevermind....Higgins. Got it. That was my grandmother's maiden name.

Edited by lmscozz 2010-12-21 7:49 PM
2010-12-22 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Higgins is a very cute kitty.  I have 2 dogs (weimaraners) and a kitty.  Funny story: DH gave the 2 dogs a bath last night.  I guess he was on a roll, b/c he washed the cat, too.  The thing looked like a drowned rat.  He was super fluffy and soft by this morning though.

Training stays on my mind, but I can't seem to get the rear end in motion.  Seems like there's always something to do...shop, party, bake, eat, blah blah blah.  It was 74 degrees here yesterday, so I did get in a short ride.  Supposed to snow Friday, so the warmth was short lived.

Is everyone ready for Christmas???
2010-12-22 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3256944

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2010-12-22 8:48 AM

Yeah!!!! You're not old -- maybe sometimes techincally challenged...join the club.

GREAT KITTY!! A Christmastime kitty. Congrats. What's the name?

Nevermind....Higgins. Got it. That was my grandmother's maiden name.

meeeeerow

a lovely looking kitty, merry christmas

my cats are growing on me. they're getting really big, that is. heh.
2010-12-22 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3257827

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-12-23 2:38 AM Higgins is a very cute kitty.  I have 2 dogs (weimaraners) and a kitty.  Funny story: DH gave the 2 dogs a bath last night.  I guess he was on a roll, b/c he washed the cat, too.  The thing looked like a drowned rat.  He was super fluffy and soft by this morning though.

Training stays on my mind, but I can't seem to get the rear end in motion.  Seems like there's always something to do...shop, party, bake, eat, blah blah blah.  It was 74 degrees here yesterday, so I did get in a short ride.  Supposed to snow Friday, so the warmth was short lived.

blech me neither. sure i'm still recovering and likely will be for a while but i MUST it is critical get out (or inside, whatever wherever) and move.

i've had to give up the idea of training ... you've got the idea right, 'short ride.' get in short stuff wherever whenever you can. it's amazing how a little motion can hold over fitness for a long time.
2010-12-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3257827

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Holy crud Carla, he washed the cat?  How did he manage to do that without major blood loss?  Amazing.  

2010-12-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3258840

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-12-23 9:23 PM Holy crud Carla, he washed the cat?  How did he manage to do that without major blood loss?  Amazing.  

i wish he'd wash my cats. they stink.
2010-12-23 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3257916

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-12-22 2:12 PM
crews - 2010-12-23 2:38 AM Higgins is a very cute kitty.  I have 2 dogs (weimaraners) and a kitty.  Funny story: DH gave the 2 dogs a bath last night.  I guess he was on a roll, b/c he washed the cat, too.  The thing looked like a drowned rat.  He was super fluffy and soft by this morning though.

blech me neither. sure i'm still recovering and likely will be for a while but i MUST it is critical get out (or inside, whatever wherever) and move.

i've had to give up the idea of training ... you've got the idea right, 'short ride.' get in short stuff wherever whenever you can. it's amazing how a little motion can hold over fitness for a long time.

I am on a s/b/r hiatus...frankly enjoying the time off...I think it will help me to come back with a vengeance when it's time to start up again...don't beat yourself up about it...plus even every day activities can make a difference...park farthest away and walk, carrying groceries, yard work, taking stairs vs. elevators, etc, etc... 
2010-12-23 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3258846

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-12-23 8:25 AM
quincyf - 2010-12-23 9:23 PM Holy crud Carla, he washed the cat?  How did he manage to do that without major blood loss?  Amazing.  

i wish he'd wash my cats. they stink.

"washing cats" sounds like a euphemism for something else... 
2010-12-23 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3258853

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-12-23 9:28 PM
TriAya - 2010-12-22 2:12 PM

I am on a s/b/r hiatus...frankly enjoying the time off...I think it will help me to come back with a vengeance when it's time to start up again...don't beat yourself up about it...plus even every day activities can make a difference...park farthest away and walk, carrying groceries, yard work, taking stairs vs. elevators, etc, etc... 

there are a lot of theories about why elite female endurance runners tend to do -really- well after they come back from having a child!

many factors come into play, many are possible, but a point of consensus is that a year or more off that rigor and volume of exercise does them a world of good both mentally, physically (both structurally and biochemically).

i think hiati um haiti nevermind hiatuses are actually incredibly important 1-of themselves, 2-if you do want to come back with a vengeance.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60