BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-08-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

Good luck ladies!

I'm doing a local sprint tri tomorrow. Last year this was my first tri so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do this time around. (like not hyperventilate 50m into the swim!)

2011-08-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3630319

User image

Expert

As far as the heat goes, listen to Ken. The half we did a couple of weeks ago was very hot and he did extremely well! Leading up to the race I did try to drink a little more than usual, and I also occasionally drank some NUUN for the electrolytes, which I normally only drink in races.

During the bike, I tried to drink more than usual, plus I dumped water over my head and back to try to cool off. I stuck the nipple of the bottle right in one of the vents on my helmet to try to keep my head cool. I think it helped, but I should have done it more.

I also wish I had more water in T2. I should have taken 2 water bottles, frozen them so they might still be a little cool, and left them in transition. I would have used one to drink, and one to pour over me. It was over a mile to the first aid station on the run, and I suffered until I got there.

During the run, I did pretty much what Ken did, and I was especially careful to drink at least 2 cups of water at each aid station. I also tried to visualize those pre dawn Winter runs, with temps in the single digits and some snow, which are my favorite running conditions, but I don't think that helped much

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Go out there, and kick some butt!!!

2011-08-05 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3629406

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-08-04 4:27 PM

Kathleen - Have you been using endurolytes or salt tabs/sticks in your training? If not be careful, there is a balance too much can be just as, if not more disasterous than too little. If you plan on drinking Gatorade or another sports drink with electrolytes that may be enough. What are you planning for nutrition? Eating on the bike? What has worked in training you know will take you from the bike to the run without tummy troubles? Now is not the time to try something new so stick with what works.

Don't be fooled by the pretty star - it is not a disk but a wheel cover - $100 from wheel builders and the custom sticker was even less. You could get something related to your college, home town, favorite team or something that inspires you. Honestly even the wheel cover is not something I would have bought but I inherited the white one when my husband got a black one when he bought his second hand power tap.

Who else is racing this weekend?

I have a sprint but it is one of my two A races this year. This will be my third year doing this sprint and I am really hoping for some good numbers. Last year I took a minute off the swim, 5 minutes off the bike and 3 minutes off the run. If I could do that again I would be VERY happy! My goal is to take 2:30 off the swim, 3:30 off the bike and :50 off my run pace (run is longer this year so time will be different).

Good advice on the nothing new on race day.  I made an assumption that she used them but was asking about adding them the day before which may not have been accurate.

Good luck and have fun tomorrow!  I look forward to hearing how you smashed your race goal!
2011-08-05 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3630319

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-08-05 10:07 AM

Good luck ladies!

I'm doing a local sprint tri tomorrow. Last year this was my first tri so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do this time around. (like not hyperventilate 50m into the swim!)

Good luck and have fun!  I am sure with your training you are going to have a great time compared to last years!
2011-08-05 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3624568

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-08-01 8:02 PM
July's totals:
Bike:14h 51m 10s  - 267.56 Mi
Run:13h 22m 16s  - 77.3 Mi
Swim:4h 41m 41s  - 14538 Yd
Strength:1h 30m

June's totals:
Bike:8h 42m  - 162.03 Mi
Run:9h 12m 29s  - 56.9 Mi
Swim:3h 30m 13s  - 11131.85 Yd

July totals step up with going into my Olympic to HIM bridge plan..Yesterday's long bike ride then trying to do a 15 minute brick run after that was very tough. I hope I get better at that over the next few weeks..

Here is a copy of my race report from this past weekend..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=199428

Tim, I have been meaning to comment that the link isn't working and I am wondering if you did not make your race report public.  I wanted to read and comment on your race.

Let me know if you need some help.
2011-08-05 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263662

Try this link for my race report..

Sorry for the problems.

Good Luck to all the ladies racing this weekend..I registered for another sprint on August 20th, probably last race before my HIM in September...

2011-08-05 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Hi everyone!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Work has been busy.  Life has been busy.  I keep running and biking and running and running.  I think I am going to squeeze a swim in tonight.  5 more weeks until my first Tri.  The clock is running down.  Six weeks until my HM.  I definitely feel like I bit off more than I can chew with that.  The increase in running was making my knee ache... but it's better now! 

2011-08-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3630392

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
amschrod - 2011-08-05 10:43 AM

As far as the heat goes, listen to Ken. The half we did a couple of weeks ago was very hot and he did extremely well! Leading up to the race I did try to drink a little more than usual, and I also occasionally drank some NUUN for the electrolytes, which I normally only drink in races.

During the bike, I tried to drink more than usual, plus I dumped water over my head and back to try to cool off. I stuck the nipple of the bottle right in one of the vents on my helmet to try to keep my head cool. I think it helped, but I should have done it more.

I also wish I had more water in T2. I should have taken 2 water bottles, frozen them so they might still be a little cool, and left them in transition. I would have used one to drink, and one to pour over me. It was over a mile to the first aid station on the run, and I suffered until I got there.

During the run, I did pretty much what Ken did, and I was especially careful to drink at least 2 cups of water at each aid station. I also tried to visualize those pre dawn Winter runs, with temps in the single digits and some snow, which are my favorite running conditions, but I don't think that helped much

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Go out there, and kick some butt!!!

Thanks Anthony for the kind words! Embarassed

I froze one of my bike bottles and one for T2 and they were both thawed before leaving T1!  The insulated bottle did stay cool for most of the ride though.  Should get a second one of those.    
2011-08-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3630721

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-08-05 1:22 PM

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263662

Try this link for my race report..

Sorry for the problems.

Good Luck to all the ladies racing this weekend..I registered for another sprint on August 20th, probably last race before my HIM in September...

Nice report Tim, I did get a chance to read it and comment in it! 
2011-08-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3630833

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-08-05 2:27 PM

Hi everyone!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Work has been busy.  Life has been busy.  I keep running and biking and running and running.  I think I am going to squeeze a swim in tonight.  5 more weeks until my first Tri.  The clock is running down.  Six weeks until my HM.  I definitely feel like I bit off more than I can chew with that.  The increase in running was making my knee ache... but it's better now! 

I hope your knee continues to improve and it allows you to train the way you need to with your upcoming races Sherri! 
2011-08-06 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi All.

Thanks for the well wishes and tips!  I have used Salt Stick capsules before and don't think I have had any negative effect from them so far.  Last year I think I took a total of four during the race. Two on the bike and two on the run (spread out).  I can drink Gatorade all day leading up to the race and still get dehydrated pretty quickly.  Here is my plan so far (nothing like waiting until the last minute huh?!)  I have three of my fuel belt bottles filled with 3x strength Infinit freezing in the freezer. I will have water in the fourth bottle. (Yes, it will take me that long to finish the run, walk, crawl).  I have a botte of Infinit in the freezer for the bike and as well as a bottle of water.  I have decided to put Nuun in my aero bottle. That is what I did last year and it seemed to work.  I eat Cliff bars on the bike mostly (always have) so really that is where I will get most of my calories at least for the first couple of hours. The last hour I might go with the Infinite or maybe just some shot blocks. I can only stand so much Infinit! The run is always a crap shoot with me. I don't think Infinit is the best thing for me but that is what I have for now and haven't come up with a better solution. I will have some other things available but truthfully, last year by the end, I could only stand some pretzels and ice.  I tried the Coke and swore I would never do that again.

It is supposed to be 93 tomorrow and there isn't a single bit of shade on the run. (by far the worst part of the course). It is  on dirt roads around the reservior which adds to the sun's reflection as well as the tease from the overwhelming desire to jump in when you aren't aloud to. 

Best of luck to those who are racing this weekend and thanks again.

Kathleen

2011-08-06 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Hey everyone! I wanted to post a quick report from this morning. I finished 7th overall and 1st in age group (M30-34). No ideas of splits as the times aren't posted yet. I'll let you know when the race report is up to read. Going to enjoy the rest of today and then off to a kiddie park tomorrow with the boys/family.

1:06:28

2011-08-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3632030

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-08-06 4:44 PM

Hey everyone! I wanted to post a quick report from this morning. I finished 7th overall and 1st in age group (M30-34). No ideas of splits as the times aren't posted yet. I'll let you know when the race report is up to read. Going to enjoy the rest of today and then off to a kiddie park tomorrow with the boys/family.

Sweet!! Nice race! 
2011-08-06 5:10 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Amazing time Trout!!

Well done!!

2011-08-07 7:00 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Trout - 2011-08-06 3:44 PM

Awesome job!

2011-08-07 7:04 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Come on racers, tell us how ya did!!!!!!!!

Don't keep yer cheering section waiting.

2011-08-07 7:07 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

The race went OK. I am disappointed in my run Frown It was hot but they did a great job doing their best to keep us cool. They actually had ice on the run course in Houston!!! They also gave us sponges soaked in cold water which were lovely. I started with a calf cramp I had to stop and strech out and just past 3 miles I hit a wall and walked for a very short time. The slow start had a huge impact on my average.

The good news is I had a good swim, took a minute off last year, my bike speed goal was 19 and I went 18.91 but like I said it fell apart on the run and I was a minute/mile slower than I wanted to be with a 12:52 avg.

Next race is an Oly with the same RD September 25, looking forward to it but need to beef up the training.

2011-08-07 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Trout - 2011-08-06 2:44 PM

WOW! Great job!!!!!!! We got some speedy folks in this group!
2011-08-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3632982

User image

Veteran
Arvada
KeriKadi - 2011-08-07 6:07 PM

The race went OK. I am disappointed in my run Frown It was hot but they did a great job doing their best to keep us cool. They actually had ice on the run course in Houston!!! They also gave us sponges soaked in cold water which were lovely. I started with a calf cramp I had to stop and strech out and just past 3 miles I hit a wall and walked for a very short time. The slow start had a huge impact on my average.

The good news is I had a good swim, took a minute off last year, my bike speed goal was 19 and I went 18.91 but like I said it fell apart on the run and I was a minute/mile slower than I wanted to be with a 12:52 avg.

Next race is an Oly with the same RD September 25, looking forward to it but need to beef up the training.

Doesn't sound like a bad race to me! Lot's of improvement that is awesome!
2011-08-07 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
So yea....that was hard. It was pretty toasty out there (95ish), but I feel like I did a really good job on managing nutrition/hydration and keeping cool, lots of ice, sponges and fluid. Although my sighting was not really that great I was pleased with my swim. Bike was going good then flat at mile 44...bummer! I had it mostly done when one of the "angles" showed up. Which was good, after he finished pumping it up I realized I had not looked for what caused it. He let the air out and went looking. Dug out several pieces of glass which probably came from a training ride. 15ish minutes later I was on my way. Kind of killed my bike average though. The run...well it was mostly a walk.. as I said not pretty 7:44 overall. Will let you know when I have a race report posted on my blog.
2011-08-07 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Trout - 2011-08-06 2:44 PM

Fantastic!!

2011-08-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3632982

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
KeriKadi - 2011-08-07 6:07 PM

Ice and sponges! They are a god send!

Keri, I know about disappointment with run times. Sorry to hear about yours. Do you think that the cramp was related to the heat? Congrats on the swim and bike improvements!

2011-08-07 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hi All,

Here is a mini race report that I sent to my coach.

Well, I finished without any crashes or need for IVS so that is good!
Unlike last year where we at least had some cloud cover on the bike, there
wasn't a cloud in the sky and the winds got crazy during the run. My swim
was a couple of minutes slower for some reason, my bike was one second
slower (that is because I didn't have my mountain bike shoes on and still
struggle with the Speedplays a bit) and my run/walk was a few seconds
faster. It really was a minute or two faster but I needed to visit the
port-a-potty. It was blistering hot!!!! I spent a lot of time at each aid
station getting water, ice, sponges etc. By the second loop I dumped my
Infinite and relied on water, ice chips, GU chomps a couple of Salt Sticks.
I walked the hills and did the best I could on the run. I must admit that
there were a few times where the thought "I can't do an ironman" started
creeping into my head but I immediately put an end to that. The wind on the
second loop of the run was really strong! My hat almost blew off and the
dirt from the parking area was blowing into our faces. Even walking into the
wind was like running uphill.  As soon as I was done I went right to the reservior and got in.

I purchased some arm coolers yesterday and
used them on the run. I was skeptical but they were GREAT!

Thanks for the support everyone! I hope you all had great weekends.

2011-08-07 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3633100

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Kath2163 - 2011-08-07 9:12 PM

Hi All,

Here is a mini race report that I sent to my coach.

Well, I finished without any crashes or need for IVS so that is good!
Unlike last year where we at least had some cloud cover on the bike, there
wasn't a cloud in the sky and the winds got crazy during the run. My swim
was a couple of minutes slower for some reason, my bike was one second
slower (that is because I didn't have my mountain bike shoes on and still
struggle with the Speedplays a bit) and my run/walk was a few seconds
faster. It really was a minute or two faster but I needed to visit the
port-a-potty. It was blistering hot!!!! I spent a lot of time at each aid
station getting water, ice, sponges etc. By the second loop I dumped my
Infinite and relied on water, ice chips, GU chomps a couple of Salt Sticks.
I walked the hills and did the best I could on the run. I must admit that
there were a few times where the thought "I can't do an ironman" started
creeping into my head but I immediately put an end to that. The wind on the
second loop of the run was really strong! My hat almost blew off and the
dirt from the parking area was blowing into our faces. Even walking into the
wind was like running uphill.  As soon as I was done I went right to the reservior and got in.

I purchased some arm coolers yesterday and
used them on the run. I was skeptical but they were GREAT!

Thanks for the support everyone! I hope you all had great weekends.

Great Job hanging in there and finishing...

2011-08-07 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3633078

User image

Veteran
Georgia

julta - 2011-08-07 9:02 PM So yea....that was hard. It was pretty toasty out there (95ish), but I feel like I did a really good job on managing nutrition/hydration and keeping cool, lots of ice, sponges and fluid. Although my sighting was not really that great I was pleased with my swim. Bike was going good then flat at mile 44...bummer! I had it mostly done when one of the "angles" showed up. Which was good, after he finished pumping it up I realized I had not looked for what caused it. He let the air out and went looking. Dug out several pieces of glass which probably came from a training ride. 15ish minutes later I was on my way. Kind of killed my bike average though. The run...well it was mostly a walk.. as I said not pretty 7:44 overall. Will let you know when I have a race report posted on my blog.

Way to go girl....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72