BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-03-25 3:00 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Jamie and Nate, I'm so bummed for you!

MTBChick: I'm trying to find a chunk of time on the computer to do my race report before I forget the details. Spring break means fighting over it with the kids, haha!

So, I just talked to a local coach to help me do well in Maui. He's coached many of the local triathletes. Recently his wife and our mutual friend, to finished IMNZ. My friend finished in 13ish hours, and his wife in 15. I think he can get me a decent finish at Worlds! It's such an investment to get there that I want to do it right. It's goes down October 27th. Plenty of time to prep.

Currently in recovery doing nothing but lounging, eating, and napping. Actually played a full 90 minutes of soccer yesterday because I didn't have the heart to take the day off. Thankfully it didn't feel horrible and we won.

Happy new week of training!

2013-03-25 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Hi all! 

A question for the more experienced riders out there. I have been working on my base fitness for awhile now, doing 95% of my rides and runs in the Zone 2 heart rate zone. I have been using 141 as my cycling heart rate and up until now, I've been able to hit that heart rate and maintain it for a decently long time.

On Saturday, I hit a point where I just could not hit 141. The speed at which I normally kept to keep 141 was no longer enough, I had to pedal harder and/or faster. "This is great", I thought, "now I can go faster at the same HR". BUT I realized quickly that my legs won't let me go faster. They tire out too fast and won't let me stay at my Z2 HR limit of 141.

So my question is: How do I get my legs to catch up with my cardiovascular system? My plan calls for Z2 rides, but I'm riding low Z2 (130s) and sometimes dipping into Z1 (120) because my legs refuse to go!

Thanks for any help!

2013-03-25 1:59 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-it happens to all of us at some point....accumulated leg fatigue.  We train, train, train and at some point the legs reach a point where they are not able to keep up. Doesn't usually last long as the body adapts quickly and becomes stronger.  Right now the limiting factor in almost all of my run/bike workouts is leg fatigue. "Aerobically" I feel good in terms of my breathing and how hard it is but the legs tell me otherwise.  A couple of days of active recovery or leg rest will help and its amazing how much better the legs feel after a good taper leading into a race.  

I know you are training for IM long term. Are all of your bike workouts Z1/Z2?

Edited by slornow 2013-03-25 2:04 PM
2013-03-25 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Randy,I'm using the book "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink and have just completed the 2nd week of the "build phase" which has been slowly integrating Z4 and tempo work. Previous to that I did 10 weeks of "base phase" which was all Z1 and Z2. In the following weeks, there will be more Z4 work. The book seems to be taking me through a gradual increase of training time and intensity which seems to be working well.
2013-03-25 3:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nate-that's a good book. I have it and know many people that have had great success in doing IM following one of the plans in the book. Adding intensity on the bike will also cause accumulated leg fatigue but ultimately the harder efforts will build endurance and fatigue resistance. You are on the right track...its just taking your legs a little while to catch up  
2013-03-25 5:19 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nate-

If it makes you feel any better, there are many times where I feel like I don't have the leg strength to push the kind of power that my coach wants. Some days I do better than others. I have found that different cadences can make a huge difference in how my legs feel. There are times that I do really well with a lower cadence, just grinding along. Other times I need to spin faster and push less.

The bike has been a source of great frustration to me. It is such a slow process to get stronger on the bike and it definitely is not a linear progression of improvement. I have had to take a leap of faith and just try to do all of the workouts assigned to me in the hopes that one day my body will catch up to my desire.

2013-03-26 8:54 AM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

Blanda – I was really looking forward to see how you did. I knew you were gonna crush it. Glad to see you’re going to try to go to Maui. It’s an opportunity of a life time.

Nate/Jamie – Man, that stinks about your race cancellation. You guys still have plenty of season left to show your stuff!

Rene  - Sorry to hear your injury is going to require surgery. Try not to overdo it post-operatively in your attempts to return to sports.

Well, I’m back from my first cruise and I’m suffering a little post-vacation depression. It was so nice to just chill out, do some great diving, eat good food, and spend time with my wife and two boys. I was able to keep up the run and bike training but the swimming pools were too small. I got in a 1600yd swim this morning and will incorporate some swimming everyday this week to try to catch up.  The good news is that my trainer bike average is now around 20mph (I started at 14mph last summer). I hope the trainer pace translates to actual road riding.

2013-03-26 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Blanda-Nicely done! Way to crush those prerace jitters. I really hope you can make it to Muai.

Rene-That sucks. I'm so sorry you have to have surgery. Take care of yourself.

So, The last week has been sporadic. I think the IT band thing and the limping set off the back again so I've been working out as much as possible but trying to keep things easy. I'm going to attempt another longish run on sunday and see if it acts up again but it hopefully will be better. I'll be really glad when my HM is done next month and I can change my focus to getting my body healthier for all the training I want to do. The good news it-it really was better than last time this happened. I'll just keep looking at the bright side.

2013-03-26 7:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey everyone-been on the road all day today. Was able to get a good bike workout in tonight. Included 5X10 minutes at a pretty stout intensity. It was weird in that there were times when the interval seemed almost easy and other times when it was HARD and I wondered if I would be able to get through the 10 minutes.

First race of the season is Saturday. Starting to get anxious. Hopefully, all the Winter work will translate into improvements across the board. Anyone else racing this weekend?  

2013-03-26 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4675814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
No race for me this weekend, Randy. Any particular goals for this one?
2013-03-27 5:03 AM
in reply to: #4675814

User image

Master

How'd the race go, Randy?

Hey, guys. Been vegging out since spring break started. Blech. Feel like a slug. Too many brownies!

Logged my race for once. Here you go if you're interested:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=482255&posts=1&start=1

Coach is going to put a plan together to get me going. First race to gauge my progress is an Olympic distance race in July.

Happy mid week!

2013-03-27 6:09 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Holy cow! Have I ever been busy the last couple days.

Took an unscheduled day off on Monday and barely squeezed my workouts in yesterday.

Starting to "feel it" again in the pool. Had a really nice swim this morning. It is so much more fun when it isn't such a struggle.

2013-03-27 8:13 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jamie-only specific goal for the race on Saturday is to be top three in my AG so I can earn points toward 2014 team qualification. I have never done the race before and will not get to scout the bike course before hand as I will not get to Tallahassee until 1:00-2:00am Saturday morning. UGH! The bike course is suppose to be hilly so that is always hard to plan for. I'll just try to build my effort through the bike and keep my power as even as possible without burning too much energy on the hills. The run is half on trails so I don't expect a really fast run time.  This is the first race of the season on our team schedule so a bunch of my teammates will be racing as well. Should be fun....after its done.  
2013-03-27 9:53 AM

User image

Expert

Will be rooting for you Randy!

Finally starting to get a sense that "spring" is approaching in Michigan.  I so look forward to my first outdoor ride of the season.  Just got done with a trainer ride, 90 min with 8 all out 4 minute intervals.  My legs feel pretty cooked right now.  Jim

2013-03-27 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4676208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

slornow - 2013-03-27 9:13 AM Jamie-only specific goal for the race on Saturday is to be top three in my AG so I can earn points toward 2014 team qualification. I have never done the race before and will not get to scout the bike course before hand as I will not get to Tallahassee until 1:00-2:00am Saturday morning. UGH! The bike course is suppose to be hilly so that is always hard to plan for. I'll just try to build my effort through the bike and keep my power as even as possible without burning too much energy on the hills. The run is half on trails so I don't expect a really fast run time.  This is the first race of the season on our team schedule so a bunch of my teammates will be racing as well. Should be fun....after its done.  

Can I ask how you plan for a race like this? Do you research who raced last year, or those who got on the podium? Or, do you just go out there and give it your all and hope that beats the rest? Do you keep an eye out for your category as you're racing?

2013-03-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4676208

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Sounds like a fun race, Randy! Good luck, we'll be cheering for you!

2013-03-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4676433

User image

Veteran
Denton
WoodrowCall - 2013-03-27 10:10 AM

Can I ask how you plan for a race like this? Do you research who raced last year, or those who got on the podium? Or, do you just go out there and give it your all and hope that beats the rest? Do you keep an eye out for your category as you're racing?

Jamie, here is what I do ... (I LOVE DATA) ... 

For every local race I take the race results and import them into an excel spreadsheet. I look at swim, t1, bike, t2 and the run data to see where I am at compared to my competition. I have done this with all my triathlons and highlighted all the triathletes that I have previously competed against. I also keep a spreadsheet with all my races to compare where I started and where I am now. So when I go to a local race that I have done before I know the top people in my group (unless there is a fast newbie :-)

2013-03-27 10:58 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-I'm a bit ashamed to admit but I always look at results from prior years before doing a race.  Gives me an idea of how I might stack up by seeing how other racers I know did. Anything can happen come race day so you just never know. For most of the local races I know most of the faster guys in my age groups and the guys in the surrounding age groups. Of course, you never know when a guy from Vermont is down visiting the Gulf and smashes everyone. The race this weekend is in Tallahassee. I don't know many of the guys from over that way so there could be some surprises but I recognize many of the names in the 50-54 AG. Best I can hope for is 2nd in AG since one of the really fast guys on my team is 53 and a beast. Can't wait till he ages up!

2013-03-27 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4676534

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
d3term1ned - 2013-03-27 11:57 AM

WoodrowCall - 2013-03-27 10:10 AM

Jamie, here is what I do ... (I LOVE DATA) ... 

For every local race I take the race results and import them into an excel spreadsheet. I look at swim, t1, bike, t2 and the run data to see where I am at compared to my competition. I have done this with all my triathlons and highlighted all the triathletes that I have previously competed against. I also keep a spreadsheet with all my races to compare where I started and where I am now. So when I go to a local race that I have done before I know the top people in my group (unless there is a fast newbie :-)

Now that is funny.

I show up on race morning, set up my stuff and go race.

I never have any idea who is racing. Occasionally I will see folks that I recognize on race morning.

My goal is always to go as hard as I can so it doesn't really matter who I'm racing against. I'm not going to hold back if I think I am the fastest guy and I hope that no matter who is there I am going to be at my physiologic limit so I can't just "go faster" because racer X is here today.

There is one local guy in my age group, exactly the same age as me, (one month apart) who is blazingly fast....... national caliber fast. He is a super nice guy and he races everything local. I have made it one of my triathlon goals to one day catch him. When I started racing he was so far ahead of me that I would never even see him. I'm getting closer all the time. Most races I finish second, sometimes third, to him anymore, but he is so fast that he often gets moved up to the overall winner/podium which works out well for me
2013-03-27 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael, Randy, Jason-Thanks for the different perspectives on race prep. I usually look at last year's results to get an idea of how guys in my category fared, but that's about it. Good luck this weekend, Randy!
2013-03-28 6:25 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Today is Rene's knee surgery. Let's all send her well wishes/good thoughts for a great outcome.

Swam again this morning (surprise). When I had my touch up lesson on Sunday the coach mentioned that I was barely kicking anymore. I have never had much of a kick but she said whatever kick I used to have was gone and that it wasn't good. So, this morning I concentrated on a relaxed kick throughout every set. I also concentrated on 'kick timing.' Trying to make it so when I was initiating my pull I was kicking down with my opposite foot to generate more kinisthetic linking of my body to my pull. I am happy to say that I felt really good in the water doing this. I was able to hold :41-:42/50 which isn't blinding fast but a little better than I can usually hold for a big set, on what felt like less effort. The less effort is especially nice because usually when I kick more it feels like more work, not less.

Anyways, thought I would share.

2013-03-28 6:27 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
ps. I don't really know what kinisthetic linking means, but it sounded good when I was typing it.
2013-03-28 8:07 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

kinisthetic linking-oh yeah, had to have that replaced on my car a couple of months ago. Keeps the gizmo linked to the thingy to make car go vroom vroom!

Short run today at lunch and pretty soild bike workout on tap this evening. Getting a little bit of a taper before the race Saturday but not too much. Galveston 70.3 the following weekend is more of my "A" race.

Tomorrow will not be the ideal way to spend the day/night before the a race. Up around 4:30am to do easy 30-40 minutes on the bike. Travel about 100 miles for 2 court hearings scheduled at 9:00 and 9:15am. Then I have a couple of appointments up that way. Probably get home 2-3:00pm. Then its my daughter's Senior Prom. Go to where they are having dinner for pictures at 5:30-6:00pm. Then be at the prom location at 8:00pm for Senior call outs.....all the Senior girls are announced arriving with their dates (Its a small school). First dance is father/daughter. Hopefully, be done there by 8:30-9:00pm. Then one of my teammates, who also has a senior daughter, and I will drive to Tallahassee 3.5 hours away plus we lose an hour heading into eastern time. So, get over there to hotel 1-2:00am Sat. morning. Get a couple of hours of sleep and get to race venue by 5:30-6:00 to pick up race stuff. Race starts at 7:30am......after all of that we will drive home.  I didn't realize prom and race were same weekend but don't want to miss either one.  Sunday will be a rest day!  

2013-03-28 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4677533

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

My half marathon PR, a time I never would have thought I could run, came on a post-call day after a night where I got less than two hours of sleep. Not ideal, but it worked on that day.

You may just surprise yourself on Saturday.
2013-03-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4677567

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason-I remember that from last year. Quite a race. I don't ever sleep well before a race anyway so it is not a big deal. With it being a sprint I'm not worried. Now if it was before an IM....thats a different story!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66