BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-02-23 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3256949

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
Hey everybody - sorry for being AWOL.
it has been six years since I was this slammed with work.
Of course six years ago was the last time we went through accreditation.
At that time I could not believe the amount of time and committed focus the visit would require; this time around I was much more mentally prepared.
In the past 20 days I did manage to get 3 workouts in.
Until two days ago I was on 2~4 hours of sleep max per night for 2.5 weeks, with four all-nighters thrown in.
This evening I am finally starting to feel recovered; I have managed to get good sleep for the past two nights, and I got a good 3 hour nap yesterday that seemed to be the ticket to finally resetting the ol' clock.

It was all worth it - we do not get the official word until July, but by all accounts it seems that we will receive an "exemplary and distinctive" accreditation recommendation from the team. Those are extremely rare in our biz. Neat.

I haven't been home for 3 weeks - and when I got back in town this afternoon my lovely wife surprised me with a long weekend trip to Mexico - so I have been scrambling around getting packed up this evening. We will be flying out early in the morning and coming back on Monday.

So - February has shaped up to be one crazy month here - sounds like it is similar for a lot of you as well. Safe travels to everyone else vacationing - and safe training to everyone else - I look forward to catching up with the group next week - and getting back on the training horse for real.

until then - the best to you all!

Oh - yeah my current favorite things? Endurolytes, Desoto 400 mile bibs, Nike Frees, Aquasphere Kayennes, Desoto First Wave 2 piece, Clean Ride White Lightening. I am sure there are others...

2011-02-24 12:53 AM

Denmark
Good morning all. On the gear subject i really like my garmins, I have had a forerunner 305 for a while, and just got a edge 500 for christmas, and I really like both. I also really like my new adamo saddle, it is so great.

I am currently looking for a rear hydration setup, I have looked at the xlab setup, it seems nice. Does anyone have experience with this? Or any other setup that you would recommend?
2011-02-24 3:47 AM
in reply to: #3368480

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
KathyG - 2011-02-23 10:46 AM I need a new bike helmet. Any suggestions?

My Giro I've used since 2007 and the roc loc (adjustable fit part) was broken flying home from IMFL. I figure with 15K+ miles using it probably good idea to get a new one instead of replacing the broken piece.

Helmets need to be fitted. and a good fit is essential.  Kathy if a Giro was working for you I would starts with that. 

I wear Giro they have fit me the best.  I also replace mine every 4-5 years or if I EVER drop it.  I have all ready had a few concussions in my life so I can’t afford another.  Ever see someone do a REAL helmet inspection?  They will slightly squeeze it.  This will show small cracks around the edge that can compromise the integrity.  If your helment is cracked replacement and think twice about throwing it in the back of the car.

Take it from me and my 27 years of riding and racing bikes.  I have seen 1st hand head injures without helmets and with damaged helmets.  It is NOT pretty.  The following is some really good info.

When Should I Replace My Helmet?

2011-02-24 6:12 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Randy,Since you didn't define a time line limit. I am going way back to when I first started racing bikes in the early 80's. This choice for is me is my all time most significant piece of equipment."Clipless pedals"I feel qualified judging this because I raced both toe cage and clipless pedals. Toe cages were the standard, but were tricky. The strap had to be tight enough to allow you to pull through the pedal strokes, but loose enough for comfort. Then always remembering to loosen the straps before stopping. Clipless pedals are just to easy and simplified now.
2011-02-24 7:18 AM

User image

Rusty so glad that work thing is done and huge congratulations on success.I got to do an hour open water swim!!!! on gulf side down here in FL. Just amazing. I really have to pause and take stock of the fact that 2 1/2 years ago I did not know how to swim and was afraid of the ocean.Fred I am excited for you to marvel at the look on your kids faces at disney... Priceless
2011-02-24 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3369839

User image

Champion
MA
tasr - 2011-02-24 4:47 AM
KathyG - 2011-02-23 10:46 AM I need a new bike helmet. Any suggestions?

My Giro I've used since 2007 and the roc loc (adjustable fit part) was broken flying home from IMFL. I figure with 15K+ miles using it probably good idea to get a new one instead of replacing the broken piece.

Helmets need to be fitted. and a good fit is essential.  Kathy if a Giro was working for you I would starts with that. 

I wear Giro they have fit me the best.  I also replace mine every 4-5 years or if I EVER drop it.  I have all ready had a few concussions in my life so I can’t afford another.  Ever see someone do a REAL helmet inspection?  They will slightly squeeze it.  This will show small cracks around the edge that can compromise the integrity.  If your helment is cracked replacement and think twice about throwing it in the back of the car.

Take it from me and my 27 years of riding and racing bikes.  I have seen 1st hand head injures without helmets and with damaged helmets.  It is NOT pretty.  The following is some really good info.

When Should I Replace My Helmet?

Thanks James!

I know my helmet has been through a lot with traveling, riding, loading in and out of the car so it makes sense to replace it.

2011-02-24 10:48 AM

User image

Master
These are a few of my favorite things:
Computrainer
Power Meter
Kiwami Tri suit
Cobb V Max saddle
I-Pod (downloaded with different playlists for various training days)
My coach
Infinit
Trigger Point Therapy lower leg kit and Grid
Zoot Recovery Tights
Epsom Salts and 10 pound bags of ice

Edited by Catwoman 2011-02-24 10:56 AM
2011-02-24 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3370054

User image

Master
Baltimore
Almost forgot - smart wool PhD cycle socks. Greatest socks ever. Got 2 pair on bonktown, wore them once, then went back for 4 more.
2011-02-24 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I feel like I have been away forever!  Work has been extremely busy, and dealing with people and their problems all day is wearing. Casey is starting to sleep a bit more which is great but with that he even has more energy!  He is a smart one and I have taught him some commands already but at dawn and dusk he becomes like the wolves and gets a bit crazy.
My training has taken the back seat (especially the swimming) but I am trying to get as much in as I can. 
In terms of equipment etc, I do like my Garmin, and my Adamo saddle!  I just purchased a pair of tri shoes (bike) (had a $50.00 gift certificate to a bike shop and $50.00 gift card that needed spending) but haven't decided on the pedals yet. Once I get them set up and get used to them, they might be added to the list.
I hope everyone is doing well. I was sorry to read the sad news.
Kathy, I hope things are better.

2011-02-25 1:52 AM

User image

Expert
So around Christmas I was doing our budget and stressing a bit about finances. I just wasn't getting the level of overtime that I had become accustom to after 17 years at my TV station. Then all of the sudden I'm getting slammed with overtime again. I'm happy about the money but it has put a dent in my training.

I've been reading Be Iron Fit and it really focuses on being time efficient in your training. I have been trying to make the most of the training opportunities that I have. This week I will have over 10 hours of training and I will do my first 56 mile ride.

I haven't had a day off of work in a couple of weeks now but I'm holding up pretty well. My wife got really sick last week and thankfully, I haven't gotten sick.

I'm still having a little soreness in my left knee but it's not necessarily painful so I'm just going to keep pushing forward with training on it. It hasn't gotten worse or better and it doesn't give out on me. I think it might have something to do with the big increase in watts that I have been doing on the bike but I don't know. I think after my HIM in April I'm going to take some time off and heal up.

I hope everyone is having a great week.
2011-02-25 8:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-02-25 8:55 AM

2011-02-25 8:56 AM

2011-02-25 8:59 AM

2011-02-26 1:07 AM
in reply to: #3372103

Expert
Fred Doucette - 2011-02-25 7:55 AM Oh and Todd be careful with that knee

So the soreness has become pain and I'll be off to our tri clubs sports medicine doctor on Monday. I'm hoping over the weekend that at least the pain will go away. This is my first real injury and it's about 6 weeks out from my HIM.

I'm still confident that I can get things back on track. I'm so bummed that my weekend is shot. I had great plans of my first 56 mile bike ride and a little run. Oh well, I'm taking it in stride. I just hope that it's nothing serious and I can get back to training rather soon.

I have had friends that have dealt with injuries so I have seen how people deal with them. I can't really do anything except what Dr Sherman suggests. He is an excellent soft tissue doctor and is used by almost everyone here in Phoenix. He has a reputation of getting people back on the road quickly and safely.
2011-02-26 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3373313

Master
phxphotog - 2011-02-26 1:07 AM

Fred Doucette - 2011-02-25 7:55 AM Oh and Todd be careful with that knee

So the soreness has become pain and I'll be off to our tri clubs sports medicine doctor on Monday. I'm hoping over the weekend that at least the pain will go away. This is my first real injury and it's about 6 weeks out from my HIM.

I'm still confident that I can get things back on track. I'm so bummed that my weekend is shot. I had great plans of my first 56 mile bike ride and a little run. Oh well, I'm taking it in stride. I just hope that it's nothing serious and I can get back to training rather soon.

I have had friends that have dealt with injuries so I have seen how people deal with them. I can't really do anything except what Dr Sherman suggests. He is an excellent soft tissue doctor and is used by almost everyone here in Phoenix. He has a reputation of getting people back on the road quickly and safely.

Smart move to take care of your knee. It is hard now but you'll be glad later. I try to focus on the non-training aspects of triathlon when I'm injured. Now is a good time to research nutrition, dial in your bike set up, focus on sports psychology & mental imagery, and enjoy time with your family and friends. I would also HIGHLY recommend aqua jogging if the Dr. says it is okay. The majority of my training in December was aqua jogging and swimming following surgery. The aqua jogging does pay off and it is not as boring as it seems.
Patience will pay off

2011-02-26 7:07 PM

Champion
MA
Drove from near Panama City Beach FL (with lots of IMFL memories) to Texas today. Checked into a hotel, and found a empty probably bankrupt subdivision to run in.

Knee is holding up well. I figured out how to work on knee extensions while in the car.

I'm having a lot of fun with my BT friends.
2011-02-27 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3373846

2011-02-27 10:25 AM

2011-02-27 7:47 PM

Master
Where did everyone go? Busy training or vacationing?

Kathy, what part of Texas were you in? Were you over by the ship channel? It's kind of sketchy over there..lol

Fred, what has been your kids favorite part of Disney?

Last week was a great training week. Things feel like they're finally starting to come together.

I've been called for jury duty tomorrow. Something that I'm not really looking forward to. I'm used to eating and drinking every 2-3 hours during the day. Hopefully they will give us frequent breaks! We never sit at work either. I have a feeling it is going to be a long day.

Don't forget to post your February numbers tomorrow!

Edited by Catwoman 2011-02-27 7:51 PM
2011-02-27 7:58 PM

Master
South Alabama

Hello all-I was out Friday and Saturday as my daughter's HS soccer team was playing out of town.  Got a swim and run in Friday morning but nothing Saturday.  Today was good- 50 mile ride with some hard intervals followed by a 3 mile brick run.  It was warm, 75 degrees, and windy here.  Heading out of town again next weekend so hope I can keep up with training.

Randy 

2011-02-27 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3374701

Master
Lexington, KY
Catwoman - 2011-02-27 8:47 PM Where did everyone go?

Swallowed up by work!  Should be a little better this week for me.

Good luck with jury duty.  I did that a few years ago.  It was kind of interesting, but I'm not exactly itching to go back. 
2011-02-27 11:36 PM

Expert
So I've been icing and heating my knee for about 3 days now and it healing up fine. I just swam on Sunday (2400 yds) and did an hour spin and 2000 yd swim today. My knee felt great on the spin bike and I had plenty of power. It isn't even bothering me anymore.

Now the real investigation is going to be why is it getting hurt while running. Shoes, stride, torn ligament? I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth going to my sports medicine doctor or just go get fitted for some new shoes.

I can't continue to deal with this for the next six weeks. At some point I'm going to have to run more than 3 miles and that's when it tends to get sore. Besides the knee I'm feeling pretty good about my training. I improvised my training when my knee got hurt and still tried to get some volume in. Hopefully this week I'll get back to some sort of volume at about 9-10 hours. I really would lke to get my 56 mile bike ride in next weekend also. The swim is starting to come back also.

P.S. The Oscars sucked this year.
2011-02-28 9:52 AM

Master
4 hour break before I have to report back to jury duty. Just enough time for my run and a nap.

Edited by Catwoman 2011-02-28 9:53 AM
2011-02-28 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
London
Hey, guys.

How's it all going? Sorry I've not been posting but between life being hectic and to be honest it's been depressing being injured and not training. Anyway knee issue has been diagnosed and starting treatment / rehab so things are looking up. In the mean time swimming has been coming on well. Today's session was pretty darn tough all round but well worth it though my body may not agree in the morning! lol

phxphotog - sounds like you might have irritated something in the knee as it's a lot like my injury was originally. Definitely get it assessed asap as at the very least it's better knowing than not.

As its the last day of Feb - how did everyone's month go?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76