BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-09-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3595769

El Paso
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Anyone,

I remember that Ernesto posted a very detail pre-race nutrition and race nutrition schedule for a half or a Oly, I printed that post but now I dont seem to find it.

My first tri Oly is this Sunday and would love to get some advise regarding nutrition between now and end-race. My goal in the race is first not to die, then if posible finish it and get the experience benefit for a big race next year, no time to beet nor meet just to finish strong.

Thank you guys  

2011-09-23 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3696578

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Alfredo,

Hope you're healing well and you will be strong for your race this weekend.  That rooster pic is hilarious.

As for me, I have been flat out exhausted this week, very unusual for me.  I have lots of outside stress, so I took Wednesday and Thursday completely off of training and got lots of sleep.  Hopefully that's what my body needed me to do.  I'm going to go for a swim today and then bike and run over the weekend.

2011-09-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3698077

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie,

"It's what you do when you don't feel like doing anything that makes the difference" -- and sometimes that means resting, especially if your race is in two days.

Good luck Sunday!
2011-09-23 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3698077

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
jdiis - 2011-09-23 2:25 PM

Alfredo,

Hope you're healing well and you will be strong for your race this weekend.  That rooster pic is hilarious.

As for me, I have been flat out exhausted this week, very unusual for me.  I have lots of outside stress, so I took Wednesday and Thursday completely off of training and got lots of sleep.  Hopefully that's what my body needed me to do.  I'm going to go for a swim today and then bike and run over the weekend.

Good luck in your first Olympic Jackie!

2011-09-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
I have one more week until my race guys.  And I need it to rest.  Thanks for the well wishes.
2011-09-24 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3698628

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jdiis - 2011-09-23 10:31 PM

I have one more week until my race guys.  And I need it to rest.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Sorry Jackie. Your race list has you doing an olympic in Houston tomorrow (and another one a week after that!) The last part should have been a clue for me.

2011-09-24 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend!  I just finished my last 20 mile long run and felt good through most of it, so I'm looking forward to Chicago now in 2 weeks!

Ernesto and friends, quick question (which might be a really dumb one, but here it goes), I just found out there is a 1/2 Ironman triathlon in Guatemala on Oct 30th and I will be finishing the Chicago Marathon on Oct 9th.  This is going to be a neat one, although really tough, because it takes place in the northern jungles of Guatemala and it ends in front of the main temple of the Mayan City of Tikal.  Do you think I could recover from the Marathon and ramp up some biking in the 2-3 weeks in between to make it in decent shape?

2011-09-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3698909

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-09-24 1:00 PM

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend!  I just finished my last 20 mile long run and felt good through most of it, so I'm looking forward to Chicago now in 2 weeks!

Ernesto and friends, quick question (which might be a really dumb one, but here it goes), I just found out there is a 1/2 Ironman triathlon in Guatemala on Oct 30th and I will be finishing the Chicago Marathon on Oct 9th.  This is going to be a neat one, although really tough, because it takes place in the northern jungles of Guatemala and it ends in front of the main temple of the Mayan City of Tikal.  Do you think I could recover from the Marathon and ramp up some biking in the 2-3 weeks in between to make it in decent shape?

Nope, not a good idea. Full Marys and full IMs require a LONG recovery. You will not enjoy and the worst part is you'll be risking injury.  
2011-09-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3698957

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-09-24 1:06 PM

Nope, not a good idea. Full Marys and full IMs require a LONG recovery. You will not enjoy and the worst part is you'll be risking injury.  

Ernesto, the need for a longer recovery after the full Mary makes sense, especially since it's my first one and I'm not feeling as hot right now after today's 20 Mi. long run.  That's why its so good to have you as a Mentor!  How is your training going and are you back on your bike after your recent Century ride attempt? Saludos!

2011-09-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3699187

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-09-24 9:09 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-24 1:06 PM

Ernesto, the need for a longer recovery after the full Mary makes sense, especially since it's my first one and I'm not feeling as hot right now after today's 20 Mi. long run.  That's why its so good to have you as a Mentor!  How is your training going and are you back on your bike after your recent Century ride attempt? Saludos!

No riding yet, I'm probably getting on the bike Monday after work. I've been thinking about your incredibly long runs, maybe putting three (am I right?) 20 milers is a bit excessive. I know what you're pursuing, a big base and adaptation to long efforts, but many (all as a matter of fact) running coaches will tell you that ONE eighteen or twenty miler is all you need. Make sure that between now and the 9th you don't put any long runs whatsoever, choose recovery over stress now.
2011-09-24 11:57 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Not much action trainingwise here this weekend, but I joined a running club in Southport, 45 min bike ride from home. So it will be bike-run-bike on Sunday now. Oh, the annual fee is $5.- ! Bargain.

The main reason for that was to be able to put a team together for my next challenge - 96k trail run, which is a team event and all 4 members have to get to the finish line to be counted. The event replicates the original Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea which was a fierce battleground during WWII and where Aussie diggers in extreme tropical conditions stopped Japanese invasion of Australia.

Another reason was to meet some new faces of course and encourage each other.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

2011-09-25 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3699263

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-09-24 11:57 PM

Not much action trainingwise here this weekend, but I joined a running club in Southport, 45 min bike ride from home. So it will be bike-run-bike on Sunday now. Oh, the annual fee is $5.- ! Bargain.

The main reason for that was to be able to put a team together for my next challenge - 96k trail run, which is a team event and all 4 members have to get to the finish line to be counted. The event replicates the original Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea which was a fierce battleground during WWII and where Aussie diggers in extreme tropical conditions stopped Japanese invasion of Australia.

Any triathlons on sight Mark?
2011-09-25 8:50 PM

OK need some help with night before and morning of DIET i see the sponser of this race (i just got packett info) is  "Carabas and they are doing a carb up dinner special for the tri participants. I  never carb up ? is this the thing to do  dont really like carbs as a rule . I DO not like pasta or bread really. But if i need carbs i will do something . also in the morning worried about eating something that will make me need to go!!!! during the race. is this a stupid worry

2011-09-25 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3699231

User image

Expert
Guatemala

ernestov - 2011-09-24 9:47 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-24 1:06 PM \
No riding yet, I'm probably getting on the bike Monday after work. I've been thinking about your incredibly long runs, maybe putting three (am I right?) 20 milers is a bit excessive. I know what you're pursuing, a big base and adaptation to long efforts, but many (all as a matter of fact) running coaches will tell you that ONE eighteen or twenty miler is all you need. Make sure that between now and the 9th you don't put any long runs whatsoever, choose recovery over stress now.

Ernesto, I ended up doing 4 weekly 20 mile long runs in a row along with a combination of interval and tempo runs during the week (with the last long one being yesterday's run).  This was based on a plan put together by a local coach who many of the friends that are going to the Chicago use (we are about a 100 Guatemalan's that are going to run in Chicago). 

From now on, according to the coach, I lower significantly the volume and focus more on intensity during this week and then ease down on the week of the race.  On the positive side, I believe I have been able to recover well from each of the long runs and don't feel drained during the week.  

Should I be taking it easy for the time remaining (13 days) and do you have any specific nutrition recommendations leading to the race?  Thanks!  

2011-09-26 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3699857

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
ernestov - 2011-09-25 8:27 PM
markz - 2011-09-24 11:57 PM

Any triathlons on sight Mark?

There's one Oly, 2hr drive from here (Noosa) I'd like to do, but it's so hard to get in. It is 3rd biggest in the world (after London and Chicago). Other than that - nothing in sight right now. However, few of the running club members do triathlons, maybe they will show me the way.

2011-09-26 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3699883

User image

Master
Dallas
bbreezer1 - 2011-09-25 8:50 PM

OK need some help with night before and morning of DIET i see the sponser of this race (i just got packett info) is  "Carabas and they are doing a carb up dinner special for the tri participants. I  never carb up ? is this the thing to do  dont really like carbs as a rule . I DO not like pasta or bread really. But if i need carbs i will do something . also in the morning worried about eating something that will make me need to go!!!! during the race. is this a stupid worry

It is not a bad idea to do a carbo load, but if you are sensitive to pasta (GI distress, diahrrea, etc.) don't go there. The best way to prepare for a new distance is to be very well hydrated (I drink about three big Gatorades the day before) and to do a decent high carb dinner but not excessive.

2011-09-26 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3699905

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-09-25 9:13 PM

ernestov - 2011-09-24 9:47 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-24 1:06 PM \

Ernesto, I ended up doing 4 weekly 20 mile long runs in a row along with a combination of interval and tempo runs during the week (with the last long one being yesterday's run).  This was based on a plan put together by a local coach who many of the friends that are going to the Chicago use (we are about a 100 Guatemalan's that are going to run in Chicago). 

From now on, according to the coach, I lower significantly the volume and focus more on intensity during this week and then ease down on the week of the race.  On the positive side, I believe I have been able to recover well from each of the long runs and don't feel drained during the week.  

Should I be taking it easy for the time remaining (13 days) and do you have any specific nutrition recommendations leading to the race?  Thanks!  

Eat well, good quality carbs (vegetables) that you have so fresh in your country, good protein (mostly at night) and good fats. Some folks do a weeklong carbo load, which is not a good idea since you can only store about 300 grams of carbs in your muscles and maybe 200 grams (at the very most) in your liver. Rely on your course nutrition for fast carbs (and whatever it is you've been training with as well).
2011-09-26 11:21 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Ok. Thinking beyond Sunday for a second. (Why not?)

One of our best local amateur bikers/triathletes is setting up a cycling class at the local bike shop where I bought my bike. Her name is Leah Prudhomme. She came in third among women at the local TriStar 111k, beating out several pros. (She couldn't get the prize money since she doesn't have a pro card). The store provides the trainers and you bring in your own bike. The classes are about $15 a shot (or a little less if you sign up for 8). She also teaches cycling classes at my gym (which would be free for me), but those are on stationary bikes.

So here's the question: The first class is on October 5 (in the evening), which is three days after my marathon on Sunday. Too soon? I need to decide now so I can sign up before the class fills up.

Edited by older2533 2011-09-26 1:12 PM
2011-09-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3700483

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-09-26 11:21 AM Ok. Thinking beyond Sunday for a second. (Why not?) One of our best local amateur bikers/triathletes is setting up a cycling class at the local bike shop where I bought my bike. Her name is Leah Prudhomme. She came in third among women at the local TriStar 111k, beating out several pros. (She couldn't get the prize money since she doesn't have a pro card). The store provides the trainers and you bring in your own bike. The classes are about $15 a shot (or a little less if you sign up for 8). She also teaches cycling classes at my gym (which would be free for me), but those are on stationary bikes. So here's the question: The first class is on October 5 (in the evening), which is three days after my marathon on Sunday. Too soon? I need to decide now so I can sign up before the class fills up.
Do it! You don't have to kill yourself the first few classes, just easy spin your way back into bike fitness and use it as an active recovery from the marathon.

Actually, timing is perfect. The biggest recommendation after a marathon or Ironman is to start light exercise soon after the race so your muscles don't "cement" from the stress. Make sure you take it easy though...

2011-09-26 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Exhaustion

OK, I need advice.  I am flat out exhausted.  My body aches like the flu, but I really think it's muscular.  I just want to go home and sleep.

I don't really think I've changed anything nutrition wise.  Yesterday's bike ride had the last 6 or 7 miles with a direct headwind of 20 MPH.  I didn't stay up particularly late over the last week.  I even took a few naps.

I understand that I can't really build much fitness in the next 6 days.  What should I do?

2011-09-26 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3701223

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Exhaustion
jdiis - 2011-09-26 5:43 PM

OK, I need advice.  I am flat out exhausted.  My body aches like the flu, but I really think it's muscular.  I just want to go home and sleep.

I don't really think I've changed anything nutrition wise.  Yesterday's bike ride had the last 6 or 7 miles with a direct headwind of 20 MPH.  I didn't stay up particularly late over the last week.  I even took a few naps.

I understand that I can't really build much fitness in the next 6 days.  What should I do?

Q: What should I do?

A: Nothing.

That is, REST. Just don't exercise between now and Sunday if you don't feel up to it.

My guess is that if you are anything like me, you probably do have a virus, but it doesn't really matter. Either you are overtrained or you have a virus, and either way the correct thing to do is the same. Rest. (And overtraining makes you more susceptible to viruses).

BTW, I felt exactly like this just before my olympic in June. I rested, and felt a lot better by the race. And then for the next three weeks I never let my heart rate get above 180-age.

2011-09-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3701223

User image

Master
Dallas

Simple, rest.
2011-09-26 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3701395

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-09-26 8:46 PM

Q: What should I do? A: Nothing. That is, REST. Just don't exercise between now and Sunday if you don't feel up to it. My guess is that if you are anything like me, you probably do have a virus, but it doesn't really matter. Either you are overtrained or you have a virus, and either way the correct thing to do is the same. Rest. (And overtraining makes you more susceptible to viruses). BTW, I felt exactly like this just before my olympic in June. I rested, and felt a lot better by the race. And then for the next three weeks I never let my heart rate get above 180-age.
Chris,

As you probably know the registration for the 2012 Boston Marathon is closed. The standard (minimum to submit an application) for your AG was 3:35'00, however the slowest slot was allocated to 3:33'46" (then again, for your AG). I don't want to whip out the old crystal ball again but I'm pretty sure you can beat that time with a stick and get your entry for the 2013 Superbowl of runners.

Edited by ernestov 2011-09-26 10:03 PM
2011-09-26 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3701489

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-09-26 10:02 PM
Chris,

As you probably know the registration for the 2012 Boston Marathon is closed. The standard (minimum to submit an application) for your AG was 3:35'00, however the slowest slot was allocated to 3:33'46" (then again, for your AG). I don't want to whip out the old crystal ball again but I'm pretty sure you can beat that time with a stick and get your entry for the 2013 Superbowl of runners.

Well, God giveth and God taketh away. (or at least the organization that runs the Boston Marathon giveth and taketh away).

That is, BQ times are not based on the age you are when you run the qualifying race, but the age you are on the date for the race you are qualifying for. I'm 48 now. For the already closed 2012 race, I will be 49, but for the 2013 I will be 50 and I get an extra 5 minutes for being 50. On the other hand, they are lowering all BQ times by 5 minutes between 2012 and 2013. So my official BQ time for 2012 was 3:30 and for 2013 it is still 3:30 since the effect of my turning 50 cancels out the effect them tightening the standards.

For 2012, before the tightening, you needed to beat your BQ by 1:14 to actually get in. Next year, I'm guessing that simply getting your BQ will do it, since the BQ's for all age groups are lower. So yes, I will be looking at my Garmin and trying to get in by 3:30.
2011-09-26 11:06 PM

thanks for the advice Ernesto will hydrate the day before and tri the carb thing in moderation!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84