BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-07-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4324203

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!

wrkinprogress - 2012-07-22 3:20 PM OMG, that sounds like a BRILLIANT day in Waco! Congrats to you all for such a fab race! So pleased to hear it, and I trust the post-race shenanigans will be suitably (in)appropriate! The HIM here went well, on a GORGEOUS summer day (for once: it's been raining in Antwerp for weeks!). Finished smiling, uninjured, and apparently negative-split the run to finish in 6:36:36. Not too bad for a first HIM, I figure! Scarfed dinner and a Belgian waffle when I got back to the hotel, and had a bit of the (tasty) wine I got in my swag bag (gotta love European races!). Must now crash, though, as tomorrow I travel back to the UK: will post race report when I get back & have better wifi. Hope all MMMers had a fabulous weekend! Alex

Congrats on a nice race!!  Wine in the swag bag...yes!

2012-07-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, way to go Alex on an outstanding first HIM! And that's my kind of swag. The transition towel I got in Waco is pretty cool, but I can't drink it! Speaking of Waco, it was so fun to see, ride, and race with my BT buddies. Got to take a couple of nice rides through the countryside- today with Hilde, Tammy Tucker and her husband Gerard, which was fun. And getting my first ever AG podium was pretty special! Will probably be my last, too- my AG in Phoenix is killer! Hilde's husband Ron put out an amazing spread for us- from bison steaks to BBQ that would put any roadhouse to shame, breakfast casserole and pecan pie, it was unbelievable! I'm definitely leaving with a souvenir pound or two. Brad and Wilson left this morning on the long drive back to Indy, and I'm about to board a flight back home to Phoenix. Thanks again, Hilde, for all the hospitality. I'm privileged to know such a friendly, nutty and twisted bunch of folks!
2012-07-24 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

OK, I take ridiculously bad race photos, so for laughs I had to go look them up. These could have been worse- I'm NEVER looking at the camera (squirrel!), but at least I'm smiling when I cross the finish line (that's a Thank heaven it's over smile). To make myself feel better, I looked up my MMMer teammates, and I'm happy to say, I'm not the ONLY one who looks goofy in their race photos. Connie (crburt) came out the best- she has a BAMF race-face on for most of it, but the look on her face at the finish is more like "I'm gonna punch somebody in the neck."

We only get one of Tammy Tucker- apparently she was in stealth mode for the whole race, trying to sneak up on the competition. Hilde, too- just two of her, also with a grim race-face. But Brad, well, we got lots of Brad. Did Hilde mention he wasn't having such a good day? Were you really crying, dude? It's ok, it's just a race, you'll put this all behind you someday.

Hope you're all recovered- I have a sore shin, so no running for a couple of days, but otherwise good. Have a great week, everybody.

2012-07-24 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

Awesome...I get to post on page 69!!!! very nice!!!  So, I'm home safe and sound after 4000 mile plane trip from england to Dallas and a 1010 mile drive from Dallas to Indy!!! whew!!!  Wow, we had an amazing weekend at the MMMer meet up at Hilde's house for the TriWaco event.... It was so so so cool to meeting Tammy Tucker, Connie for the first time and reunite with the superstar's Tammy Turtle and Hilde.  Of course Brad was there too -- but we hang out all the time...but he was a really good little spoon when we shared the twin bed together... warm and snuggly..how lovely that was!! LMAO.

Hilde and her husband Ron were amazing hosts - They have an awesome house and yard -- perfect for entertaining and creating new memories.  I loved spending time with everyone and laughing like crazy for a few days.  We had to enact the Vegas Rule again cuz there was some crazy stuff go down in Temple Texas..... Some of it was WOW!!!! All I can say is that these people are not right... way WRONG.... I was so corrupted and shocked by the crazy $hit.... 

Ron cooked his a$$ off the whole weekend and made amazing grub... Tammy already mentioned it, but the BBQ was the best I've ever had.. seriously.  Brad and I were in a meat coma for hours.... I think I ate a few pounds of smoked meat - it may never leave my digestive system... Everything was just awesome... It's so much fun to hang out with like minded people and talk about all kinds of stuff... I'm very fortunate to call these folks my friends cuz they FUC@#$%#$%KING ROCK!!!

I shot some video with my iPad at the TriWaco event... and quickly put it together and you can view it here... nothing special as far as editing -- I just wanted to get it published timely... (and I know there is one clip of Tucker that is a repeat... eeek!)  I did it all on my iPad so not the most sophisticated editing. haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJM4D6cbmRU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If I can carve out some time I may add some captioning to identify the crazies.  It was cool to watch those guys run the event... but I was so jealous and moderately pissed that I couldn't do it with them... that sucked... but it was fun cheering them on and being a part of the event... It was also cool to see Turtle win some serious bling and Hilde added more to her collection.. haha... 

Okay, I will just sum it up by saying -- You guys were all great -- Thanks for the memories and the great weekend!!

2012-07-25 6:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Great racing everyone! Thanks for the video. I enjoyed seeing you guys in action.
2012-07-25 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for your rendition of the weekend Wilson. Especially enjoyed the vid of watching everyone in action. Looks like it was a "FUN" (we'll never know all) kind of weekend!

2012-07-25 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
The Waco video was great!  Thanks for posting.  Looks like everyone had a great time and raced hard.  It was especially neat to get video of folks swimming!
2012-07-25 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4329256

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Great job with the video Wilson!!  Like that you went back and put in the names, very pro looking!!  Hard job trying to get video of 5 people in one race! 

Really great weekend, I had to take yesterday to recover, ha ha!  Back to training today....

2012-07-26 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Thanks for posting the video, Wilson!  LOVED it!!  You all looked great!    When will we all see the video of the late night drunken craziness??
2012-07-26 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4331650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
kpringle - 2012-07-26 11:45 AMThanks for posting the video, Wilson!  LOVED it!!  You all looked great!    When will we all see the video of the late night drunken craziness??
glad you guys liked the video. I didn't intend to do that....it just happened. The drunken video does exist, but is under top secret clearance. The sad thing is that the secret video was shot and they were sober! But still...the naughty archives are piling up.. Haha. You must attend next year to really take in the debauchery of MMMers. Haha... Let's just say that "turtle" has a whole new meaning....rotflmao!
2012-07-30 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I discovered a nice little app for those who need a change up in training.  It's called Nike Training Club.  I have only followed one of the stretching routines so far at home.  Plan to bring in iPad to gyms and follow one of the other workouts this week.

I had a good ride on Saturday and good run on Sunday.  But my legs, feet, and ankles just ached all day Sunday.  So last night I spent some time on the foam roller.  Felt much better today.  Also wore the boot for the 'ever so slight' twinges of PF.

2012-07-30 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4336761

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Hmmm, seems like the "twinges" are going around!  We've hit that point of the season where we've been doing a lot of consistent training, gotten some races under our belts, and the body is asking for some rest...  not a bad idea to give into it if your plan can afford it.  A day or two can do wonders to both your body and your mind!!
2012-07-31 4:58 AM

Extreme Veteran

Ok I'm finally back training. I went over the run time alloted today - using what the custom plan gives me for running time plus walking breaks to work on endurance - but I'm still a bit iffy on the bike. Would it be worth going back to last week or even the week before's distances (I sort of fudged them too) before progressing? If so would I better off doing the mini-sprint rather than the sprint in November?

edited to add I just found out that the tri is a week later than what I thought it was.

Distances are:

Sprint - 500m swim, 16k bike, 5k run

Mini - 200m swim, 8k bike, 2k run

As I said the bike is still what I'm worried about, but my plan would be if I did do the mini to do the last sprint in the series which is 17 weeks later with distances of

750m swim, 20k bike and 5k run

What's everyone think?

Edited by suzielea 2012-07-31 8:22 AM
2012-07-31 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4338564

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Suzie, my vote would be for the mini Sprint, I just don't think you will be ready for the regular Sprint distances... just my opinion, feel free to prove me wrong!  You've had a lot of setbacks and even though November is still a good ways off, I would train for the Sprint, but DO the mini... as far as the bike, maybe try for this week's distance, if it's too hard, go back a couple of weeks and pick it up there...
2012-07-31 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4338774

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Hilde, that's sort of what I was thinking - especailly since I still haven't got any open water swimming in, and I'd like to be able to run the run.

Thanks for the bike suggestion too - I'm thinking I'll try for the short distance I was meant to do today (3.7 miles I think) and go from there - may end up going by time for the bike if that doesn't work - the silly thing won't go under 8mph and I'm at about 6mph so it's a big enough difference to impact majorly on the mileage increase

2012-07-31 9:43 AM

User image

New user
KY

OK, I'm thinking the MMM'ers will find this funny.  DH and I posted it on our Ironman Augusta facebook site and it was immediately erased.  Party poopers!

2012-07-31 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4338960

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
erinrockrun - 2012-07-31 10:43 AM

OK, I'm thinking the MMM'ers will find this funny.  DH and I posted it on our Ironman Augusta facebook site and it was immediately erased.  Party poopers!

that is so WRONG!!  it looks so real!  hahaha! 

2012-07-31 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4339111

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I have seen this pic before, and it still cracks me up!! 
2012-08-02 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran

Nice photo!  My husband thinks it's pretty funny and wanted me to email it to him.

I'm "racing" tomorrow evening for the first time this year.  It's due to be hot and humid, possible thunderstorms.  I'm hoping that being wet from the swim will keep me cool a bit.  My previous race, last September was early in the AM. 

This race is .5 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 5K run.  I think its somewhat hilly, but not too bad.  I don't think that there are waves.  It's a small locally run race.  I plan to start the swim on the outer side near the front and we'll see how it goes.  I'm dreading the constant passing on the bike and the alone feeling on the run, but I'll stick it out and do my best.  I hope to break 2 hours (17min for swim, 5 min T1, 45 for bike, 5 min for T2, 45 min for run=1:57)  This should put me about 5-10 from DFL depending on who shows up.

2012-08-02 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4343972

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think afternoon races in the summer should be outlawed!!  It's just not good for the athletes!  Andrea, I'm sure the bike won't feel too bad, but I bet you are hot by the time the run comes around.  No matter what happens, you get a HTFU award for finishing!
2012-08-03 5:11 AM
in reply to: #4343972

Extreme Veteran

Andrea - good luck with the tri. I have the same feeling with the bike but as long as you keep going you'll do fine.

And talking of bikes -  I finally got back on the darn thing again - 1.84 mile bike ride after school which I left early because I couldn't face a second 2 hours of sociology about globalisation. Didn't quite get what I wanted for the ride - was aiming for a minimum of 3.4 but at least I got on the thing again and have a new baseline. I do however feel like I'm doin a 1 step forward 2 steps back with the bike sometimes though.

So any advice on how to build on this in preparation for my tri in November? I'm definitely leaning towards the mini, with a new goal of RUNNING the run section after getting what I think may have been 2x1k intervals in last night. First was definite (I checked the distance) but I'm not sure of the second because I didn't get a proper look at where I started and finished and therefore couldn't get a proper distance check.

2012-08-03 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4344823

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Suzie, you have a plan, right? Just follow it or do your own thing and just swim bike and run, at least 2x each every week, 3x per week on each if you can fit it in. Work on building volume so that you know you can do MORE than the race day distance of each. I like to make sure I can exercise continuously for my guess on how long it will take me to finish the race, for example, if I think it will take me 90 minutes I'll be sure that I can bike or run or combo for that long.
2012-08-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4345284

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Hilde. Looked at the times for the last couple of weeks and I may go for them instead of the distance. Current bike speed would put me on the bike for about an hour in the mini with the swim and run at either end so I'm pretty sure I can get back up to there. Only issue is that they don't have maps on the site yet so I can't see where it is to find out if there are any hills, which right now are my major killer

Anyway I'll keep you posted on what I do. The running is going great and I'm pretty sure the swim will be fine, its just the bike I'm worried about but if I build slowly I'm guessing I should be fine right?

2012-08-03 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Race complete.  I think overall I beat my goal, but I'm not sure.  I'll wait for official results. 

Swim was long, but fine.  Amazing amount of weeds got in my shirt and bra, luckily I didn't notice until I took a shower. 

The bike started with some hills.  I had to walk a portion of it, my heart was just hammering and although I probably could have toughed it out I was afraid that I'd blow the rest of the race.  I had pretty much convinced myself to DNF at that point in the bike.  I figured, I'd just stop when I got back to transition.  Luckily the bike course improved after that and I didn't consider stopping after that. 

Run was hilly.  I walked a good amount.  It was also short, I think.  3 miles rather than 5K.  I got a side/front stitch with .5 left.  That stunk, but I think I had a stitch my whole run in Sept, so it's an improvement.

In conclusion, I need to add hills to my rides and runs...  I'll do a real race report when I have splits, etc.  I did not finish last, so that's something, even though once again I ended up in the final wave (female >=40).

2012-08-04 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4346420

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on finishing and not coming last Andrea. Especially after the thoghts of DNFing.

Good luck with the hills. Any idea when your next race will be?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61