BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-02-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED

Good morning all!!

I hope that everyone's week is off to a great start!

2012-02-21 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4058043

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-02-21 9:28 AM

Good morning all!!

good morning! Man...I'm feeling a little more worked over than I should. This weekends running and swimming took a lot out of me. I was glad to have the weekend off and finally get some proper sleep so I made sure I got my workouts in to capitalize on that! Legs are pretty tired though. I did a circuit core/strength workout this morning and I've got computrainer tonight.

Thanks to the group for encouraging me to get back in the pool. My swims are getting back to where they were now and I found a friend to swim with on Monday's and Wednesday's to keep me going during the week as well as got back into masters classes on Saturday mornings!
2012-02-21 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4058043

User image

Regular
Maryland

Good morning all!!

Good morning!  Got to the Y at 5:30 am this morning and was happily surprised to find that my boot camp instructor was holding class, even though we are between sessions.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2012-02-21 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hey...just fishing here, but do any of you guys/girls have any longer power based bike workouts for the trainer. Like, 2+ hour stuff?

Edited by Meulen 2012-02-21 10:52 AM
2012-02-21 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hey guys will try to catch up this evening..Had an employee pass away over the weekend so trying to do some things around the workplace, and be there to support is family..Funeral today then I will catch up with what's been going on around here..

Hope everyone has a great week..

2012-02-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4058183

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2012-02-21 11:16 AM

Good morning all!!

Good morning!  Got to the Y at 5:30 am this morning and was happily surprised to find that my boot camp instructor was holding class, even though we are between sessions.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Good for you Vivian!

2012-02-21 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4058270

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-02-21 11:51 AM Hey...just fishing here, but do any of you guys/girls have any longer power based bike workouts for the trainer. Like, 2+ hour stuff?

The plan I am doing now is mostly steady state @ about 75% for the longer rides of 2 hours or more.  There was one that increaded 5% every 30 minutes starting at 70%, I think that was an hour and 45 minute workout, with a 10 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.  I know that there is some spinervals that are longer rides, I think I have one that is 3 plus hours, but I haven't tried it yet.

2012-02-21 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4058280

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2012-02-21 11:56 AM

Hey guys will try to catch up this evening..Had an employee pass away over the weekend so trying to do some things around the workplace, and be there to support is family..Funeral today then I will catch up with what's been going on around here..

Sorry to hear about that Tim! 

2012-02-21 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Got back last night from a long weekend at a friends "cabin" 3 hour drive from Anchorage to the middle of nowhere and then an hour snowmachine ride to the lake that their house is on. The definite highlight was seeing the northern lights for the first time- amazing!!!! The green curtains that move through the sky are mind blowing. no training as I just "punted it all and drank" Wink

Update on the boot - only wore it for short periods over the weekend and stuck with wearing my new insoles. Unfortunately the heel did not respond well and I have quite a bit of pain in the foot (especially in the evening).  Not sure what my future plans are- a large part of me just wants to give up on trying to heal it as it hasn't worked so far and just do what I want. Very tired of the "wait and see" approach.

2012-02-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4058469

User image

Expert
Illinois
robingray_260 - 2012-02-21 12:19 PM

Got back last night from a long weekend at a friends "cabin" 3 hour drive from Anchorage to the middle of nowhere and then an hour snowmachine ride to the lake that their house is on. The definite highlight was seeing the northern lights for the first time- amazing!!!! The green curtains that move through the sky are mind blowing. no training as I just "punted it all and drank" Wink

Update on the boot - only wore it for short periods over the weekend and stuck with wearing my new insoles. Unfortunately the heel did not respond well and I have quite a bit of pain in the foot (especially in the evening).  Not sure what my future plans are- a large part of me just wants to give up on trying to heal it as it hasn't worked so far and just do what I want. Very tired of the "wait and see" approach.

Sounds like a pretty decent time! I would love to see the northern lights, bet they are beautiful. 

Sorry about the continuing problems, seems like you have been fighting this for a long time. 

2012-02-22 1:07 AM
in reply to: #4058343

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-02-21 11:28 AM

Meulen - 2012-02-21 11:51 AM Hey...just fishing here, but do any of you guys/girls have any longer power based bike workouts for the trainer. Like, 2+ hour stuff?

The plan I am doing now is mostly steady state @ about 75% for the longer rides of 2 hours or more.  There was one that increaded 5% every 30 minutes starting at 70%, I think that was an hour and 45 minute workout, with a 10 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.  I know that there is some spinervals that are longer rides, I think I have one that is 3 plus hours, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have yet to test my power.  Haven't been able to fit it in with all my other training.

I heard of an interesting testing protocol:

w/u:  10  min

m/s:  30 min Power Test ... starting your watch 10 min into this set, so basically first 10 min of "Test" is counted as a warm up and the final 20 min is your actual reading.

That's it.  1 x 20 min Power Test.  Seemed reasonable.  I must test soon.  My power is so low.  I occasionally glance at my training sets to see my power... ::: hiding :::

2012-02-22 1:08 AM

User image

Regular
Denver
robingray_260 - 2012-02-21 12:19 PM

Gosh, that sounds amazing! ~Carla

2012-02-22 1:11 AM
in reply to: #4056322

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-02-20 8:14 AM
IceManScott - 2012-02-19 5:54 PM

Congrats Kath and Carla.  You rock.

Rest day Friday, two easy spins over the weekend, leading to a new FTP test on Tuesday.  Then start my runner club warm up program with group runs once a week on Wednesdays.  They push me.  K bells on Wednesday. 

No weight loss ...but that has been the pattern on paleo.  Two weeks nada, one week lots.  

Last week as a newspaperman coming up.  Weird.

Enjoy your last week as a newspaper man Ice!!  What's next?  Full time Ironman and motivational speaker? 

Sounds like a nice week of training ahead of you!

I think Iceman will be an eCoach!  We'll all sign up for the amazing Webinars that will include "Motivational Speaking/ Weight Loss Support/ and Triathlon Power Training!"  !!! ~Carla

2012-02-22 1:14 AM
in reply to: #4056565

User image

Regular
Denver
IceManScott - 2012-02-20 10:25 AM

Rest day Friday, two easy spins over the weekend, leading to a new FTP test on Tuesday.  Then start my runner club warm up program with group runs once a week on Wednesdays.  They push me.  K bells on Wednesday. 

No weight loss ...but that has been the pattern on paleo.  Two weeks nada, one week lots.  

Enjoy your last week as a newspaper man Ice!!  What's next?  Full time Ironman and motivational speaker? 

Unsure.  I am thinking about getting the International Triathlete Coaching Asso certification. Ever hear of it?  All online unlike USAT which requires a weekend of airline travel and hotel.  I'll do USAT someday when I can get in and afford it. I think I could help overweight people use triathlon to x-train. 

Might volunteer as a mentor for the beginner program our tri club does.

Writing for outdoor magazines will continue.   Might add some.  Might do a book on Fatman to IronMan. I've got fat, cancer, bikes, aging, 12 steps...all of the hot button stuff.  Might pay to have been a mess :D  

Applying for corporate positions and teaching.  That is all very positive.

OMG, I just read this post, but see my earlier post... almost echoed these sentiments exactly!  I think I'm on to something!!!! Goooo Iceman!~Carla

2012-02-22 2:58 AM
in reply to: #4055678

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-02-19 3:19 PM

Meulen - 2012-02-19 11:40 AM Gator. I'm not sure how many days per week you are running. But IMO its better to run shorter distances more often at first. For example, if you're running 3 miles 3x per week now it would probably help to run 2 miles 4x per week. Then, when you add mileage it usually seems easier. You can take 2 of those runs and start adding mileage to them. Eventually, what you should end up with is 2 short runs per week, a medium run (that can be used for hills/intervals or tempo), and a long run that you can add mileage to depending on your races. Just start slow and build little by little every week.

Very good advice!

Great stuff here as I am trying the "run more often" plan and am making it up as I go along. Thanks.

2012-02-22 3:06 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2012-02-21 11:19 AM

Robin, what life changes you have had in the past year!  I am sorry to hear that your foot is not getting better. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

2012-02-22 3:08 AM
in reply to: #4056565

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
IceManScott - 2012-02-20 9:25 AM

Unsure.  I am thinking about getting the International Triathlete Coaching Asso certification. Ever hear of it?  All online unlike USAT which requires a weekend of airline travel and hotel.  I'll do USAT someday when I can get in and afford it. I think I could help overweight people use triathlon to x-train. 

Might volunteer as a mentor for the beginner program our tri club does.

Writing for outdoor magazines will continue.   Might add some.  Might do a book on Fatman to IronMan. I've got fat, cancer, bikes, aging, 12 steps...all of the hot button stuff.  Might pay to have been a mess :D  

Applying for corporate positions and teaching.  That is all very positive.

These sound like great ideas!

2012-02-22 3:09 AM
in reply to: #4058280

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
shake-n-bake - 2012-02-21 9:56 AM

That has got to be quite a blow.  Sorry to hear that.

2012-02-22 3:19 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks for all the support regarding the 10 mile Snowman Stampede!  Carla did amazing and I was very happy for her. Not having run more then six miles since November, I did a lot of walking the last few miles but I am OK with that.  I was a bit little sore but was running on my treadmill the next day.  I have been running A LOT of days for me. I am hoping it is going to pay off. I don't have a set plan (ie.. how far, what pace) but I think I am on the right track. (I always welcome advice). Some days I do a strait run for a certain distance, other days like today I did a couple of miles and then did 8X.25 miles and increasing speed with a minute or so break in between. I am trying to break things up so I get the running in and not get bored. 

I am still without a formal training plan but should be receiving Fink's Ironfit book from the library soon. I am enjoying not HAVING to swim, bike and run but there is a little part of me that keeps saying "get to the pool. get to the pool".  I have all the stuff in the trunk of my car. I guess that is a start

2012-02-22 4:14 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-02-21 1:19 PM

Sounds like a fun weekend Robin!

Not sure what to tell you on the foot other than maybe a second opinion from another doctor?  It has to be frustrating!

2012-02-22 4:17 AM
in reply to: #4059765

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-02-22 2:07 AM
kenj - 2012-02-21 11:28 AM

I have yet to test my power.  Haven't been able to fit it in with all my other training.

I heard of an interesting testing protocol:

w/u:  10  min

m/s:  30 min Power Test ... starting your watch 10 min into this set, so basically first 10 min of "Test" is counted as a warm up and the final 20 min is your actual reading.

That's it.  1 x 20 min Power Test.  Seemed reasonable.  I must test soon.  My power is so low.  I occasionally glance at my training sets to see my power... ::: hiding :::

I haven't heard that protocol before, I had seen a similar one for measuring HR zones as the 10 minutes minimized the impact of the lag in the HR responding to the effort. 

Embrace your power numbers Carla, then work your tail off on improving them!  Tongue out

2012-02-22 4:18 AM
in reply to: #4059792

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2012-02-22 4:19 AM

Thanks for all the support regarding the 10 mile Snowman Stampede!  Carla did amazing and I was very happy for her. Not having run more then six miles since November, I did a lot of walking the last few miles but I am OK with that.  I was a bit little sore but was running on my treadmill the next day.  I have been running A LOT of days for me. I am hoping it is going to pay off. I don't have a set plan (ie.. how far, what pace) but I think I am on the right track. (I always welcome advice). Some days I do a strait run for a certain distance, other days like today I did a couple of miles and then did 8X.25 miles and increasing speed with a minute or so break in between. I am trying to break things up so I get the running in and not get bored. 

I am still without a formal training plan but should be receiving Fink's Ironfit book from the library soon. I am enjoying not HAVING to swim, bike and run but there is a little part of me that keeps saying "get to the pool. get to the pool".  I have all the stuff in the trunk of my car. I guess that is a start

For this time of year in your planned race schedule I think you ard doing the right thing.  Building the frequency and endurance for the run slowly will pay off!  The speed work is good in small doses, and mix it up some.  Do longer intervals a little slower one week, then shorter ones harder the next.  I would also suggest doing some high incline intervals one week instead of the "speed work".  Here is a good workout for incline from Dave Scott.  The article also has some other good advice on treadmill training.

Edited by kenj 2012-02-22 4:22 AM
2012-02-22 4:24 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It also looks like we may need to implement a curfew for the girls from CO! Cool

2012-02-22 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4059792

User image

Expert
Illinois
Kath2163 - 2012-02-22 3:19 AM

I really like this book and am somewhat following the intermediate plan, only using it for HIM. Great job on your 10 miler!

2012-02-22 5:58 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Our local Y is FINALLY offering some Adult Swim Lessons. I rearranged my lunch hour so that I could go and had first lesson yesterday. Coach is sort of the old school, college swim team type. It's a mixed bag of participants, mostly older women (yes I am including myself in that Demographic). Some of them did not want to get their hair wet. The coach watched me swim a lap and said that my arm position/catch and pull look great and he would not change anything (wow) but my kick was very inconsistent so we would be working on that. 

I learned to swim in 2008 and the instructor used Total Immersion practices. This did get me confident in the water but I hit a plateau and haven't progressed much. We really didn't kick at all, so I am kind of excited about the possibilities this class might open up. 

After 45 minutes of various kick drills, my legs are kind of feeling it today. 

Edited by abake 2012-02-22 8:19 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72