BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-02-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4612283

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

KWDreamun - 2013-02-07 7:22 AM 2 days in a row w/ no exercise...dad gum cold has kicked my butt!

Stay the course.  You'll get back quickly once your body is healthy.  If it's not too bad, and not in your lungs, might be ok to try something easy if you fee like it.

2013-02-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4611458

User image

NH
strikyr - 2013-02-06 2:12 PM

Warren I was actually thinking about doing Timberman possibly for next year. I would like to do at least one HIM next year and do something that isn't exactly local. Timberman is definitely on my list.

If you sign up for Timberman, let me know.  Our cottage is about 3 miles from the start - it's TINY, but we may be able to house you for cheap if you're on your own!  I'll be doing the 70.3 as a Make-A-Wish racer, and I may end up doing the sprint on Saturday as a swim relayer for a Make-A-Wish team with my brother-in-law and another dad with a Wish kid.  It would be a blast to see another junkie on my "home" course!

2013-02-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4612014

User image

NH
trigal38 - 2013-02-06 9:20 PM

Tri Indy is a no go for me and I'm one of the close Junkies! We have a family reunion in St. Lou that weekend and my mother told me about in December so I can't use the old "Oops I already have a race scheduled" excuse . Actually I really like my family and missed seeing all my cousins and their kids during the holidays (we used to all get together every Christmas) so I really don't want to miss this.

No training for me. Gracie and I went to the city to visit my sister and the new baby. First time we got to see her in person. I know all babies are tiny but at barely 5 lbs Violet is the tiniest baby I have ever seen! I was afraid to hold her!

Speaking of Patience, I tweaked my knee on Sunday when I decided it was a good idea to do my longest run in over a year on a concrete multipurpose path that is almost entirely hills then spend an hour on my knees cleaning my floors. I'm smart like that. Now I have a lovely stabbing pain in the center of my knee. The good news is my feet held up well!

Family first Dina.  That's great that you got to see your sister's baby at such a young age.

I hope the knee pain is just a one off, probably more related to the length of the run and lack of post race recovery procedures more than the surface.  But I love that you found the positive in the feet!

2013-02-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4612283

User image

Elite
far northern CA

KWDreamun - 2013-02-07 4:22 AM 2 days in a row w/ no exercise...dad gum cold has kicked my butt!

Oh geez!  This one really got you!  Take care of yourself so you can get back to it strong.

2013-02-07 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4612469

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2013-02-07 8:23 AM

Warren I was actually thinking about doing Timberman possibly for next year. I would like to do at least one HIM next year and do something that isn't exactly local. Timberman is definitely on my list.

If you sign up for Timberman, let me know.  Our cottage is about 3 miles from the start - it's TINY, but we may be able to house you for cheap if you're on your own!  I'll be doing the 70.3 as a Make-A-Wish racer, and I may end up doing the sprint on Saturday as a swim relayer for a Make-A-Wish team with my brother-in-law and another dad with a Wish kid.  It would be a blast to see another junkie on my "home" course!

Warren, that sounds awesome!  I might ask you to invite me to stay with you for Timberman some year (not this year though).  It would be pretty awesome to load up my transition bag and ride the bike to the race.

2013-02-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4612014

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2013-02-06 8:20 PM

Tri Indy is a no go for me and I'm one of the close Junkies! We have a family reunion in St. Lou that weekend and my mother told me about in December so I can't use the old "Oops I already have a race scheduled" excuse . Actually I really like my family and missed seeing all my cousins and their kids during the holidays (we used to all get together every Christmas) so I really don't want to miss this.

I can see a lot of ways to 'help' you here.  Tell me the venue and I'll come up with a way to get the party bumped....I'll be the secret service calling on behalf of the President..something about him wanting to stay there...  Or something about that family reunion...they are crazy militia people who are members of a cult and marry their cousins and are plotting to attack churches.... 

No training for me. Gracie and I went to the city to visit my sister and the new baby. First time we got to see her in person. I know all babies are tiny but at barely 5 lbs Violet is the tiniest baby I have ever seen! I was afraid to hold her!

You should have run to the city to see your sister and baby.    Just kidding.  Hey, I was a 5lb baby.  I was premature.  Or it was the pack a day smoking my Mom did...

Speaking of Patience, I tweaked my knee on Sunday when I decided it was a good idea to do my longest run in over a year on a concrete multipurpose path that is almost entirely hills then spend an hour on my knees cleaning my floors. I'm smart like that. Now I have a lovely stabbing pain in the center of my knee. The good news is my feet held up well!

Sounds like an irritation/inflammation under the kneecap.  I have the same thing right now (mild).  Running down hills is especially hard in this regard.  If you have more hilly runs coming up in the near future, turn around and run backwards down the hills.

Next time you need to clean the floors like that, can you do it standing? 

2013-02-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4612618

User image

NH
JeffY - 2013-02-07 10:25 AM

You should have run to the city to see your sister and baby.    Just kidding.  Hey, I was a 5lb baby.  I was premature.  Or it was the pack a day smoking my Mom did...

Wow, there's hope for me - I have something in common with Jeff!  I was a super premie, and back in the day when the medical technology wasn't as good at rescuing babies born so early.  I was just under 2 pounds, and they told my mom to enjoy me as the doctors were pretty certain I wouldn't make it.  I think I'm her favorite of the 6 of us to this day due to that bond.

2013-02-07 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4612618

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

I can see a lot of ways to 'help' you here.  Tell me the venue and I'll come up with a way to get the party bumped....I'll be the secret service calling on behalf of the President..something about him wanting to stay there...  Or something about that family reunion...they are crazy militia people who are members of a cult and marry their cousins and are plotting to attack churches.... 

Sounds like an irritation/inflammation under the kneecap.  I have the same thing right now (mild).  Running down hills is especially hard in this regard.  If you have more hilly runs coming up in the near future, turn around and run backwards down the hills.

Next time you need to clean the floors like that, can you do it standing? 

LOL.. LOL... people in the cubicle/office next to me are probably wondering why I am laughing right now... Jeff - you are hilarious. Perhaps you can 'help' me justify why I NEED to come to tri INDY to my family.

My oldest munchkin was a 5lb peanut - we both got very sick, but she was a sturdy 5lbs and had been growing ever since.

Glad to see someone else has lost their smart marbles on a running path somehwere!

2013-02-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4612406

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
strikyr - 2013-02-07 7:51 AM

Karl sorry to hear about the cold. Take care of yourself and feel better soon so you can get back to working out.

Looks like a big storm is headed our way in the northeast. They are talking about up to 16 inches of snow in my area and even more up north. The forecast is changing by the minute though so we'll see what happens but we are going to get something come Friday night into Saturday. I may get a big workout having to shovel all that snow. I can't say I am looking forward to that.

Make the most of the storm and go out for a run at the height of the blizzard.  Preferrably at night.  For some reason during a blizzard it's never dark.  During the middle of the night it's bright enough to read by.

Some of my fondest memories are of running in blizzards.  From horizontal snow stinging the eyes such that I had to wear shop goggles, to running in merrel snow boots because the powder was 16" deep in the streets...Ah, the good old days.

But what was even more fun was going out on xc skis.  The plows would come by and leave a nice clean layer of packed snow behind...the side streets would maintain a layer of hard packed snow all winter long.  This was perfect for xc skiing on.  I could go right in the middle of the streets and book it for miles through the neighborhoods!

2013-02-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4612636

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
JeffY - 2013-02-07 10:31 AM

Karl sorry to hear about the cold. Take care of yourself and feel better soon so you can get back to working out.

Looks like a big storm is headed our way in the northeast. They are talking about up to 16 inches of snow in my area and even more up north. The forecast is changing by the minute though so we'll see what happens but we are going to get something come Friday night into Saturday. I may get a big workout having to shovel all that snow. I can't say I am looking forward to that.

Make the most of the storm and go out for a run at the height of the blizzard.  Preferrably at night.  For some reason during a blizzard it's never dark.  During the middle of the night it's bright enough to read by.

Some of my fondest memories are of running in blizzards.  From horizontal snow stinging the eyes such that I had to wear shop goggles, to running in merrel snow boots because the powder was 16" deep in the streets...Ah, the good old days.

But what was even more fun was going out on xc skis.  The plows would come by and leave a nice clean layer of packed snow behind...the side streets would maintain a layer of hard packed snow all winter long.  This was perfect for xc skiing on.  I could go right in the middle of the streets and book it for miles through the neighborhoods!

OMG... gonna have a stitch in my side... almost spit out my coffee as I read this excellent training recommendation. While you are runnig in the blizzard you should also consider wearing all white.

2013-02-07 9:37 AM

User image

NH

This is awesome.  I am SOOO looking forward to running Sat. morning.  We're scheduled to get 20+ inches, so this will be a great "run".  Might do it snow shoes though.  Can't wait to see the Garmin data on that one!

2013-02-07 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4612651

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2013-02-07 9:37 AM

This is awesome.  I am SOOO looking forward to running Sat. morning.  We're scheduled to get 20+ inches, so this will be a great "run".  Might do it snow shoes though.  Can't wait to see the Garmin data on that one!

Don't get caught up with the data.....In the old days I just ran a certain distance without much thought to pacing.  If I had to guess, I probably did 11 minute miles in these conditions because there was no footing.  And that was while in 16:00-17:00 5k shape.

So if we see 15 or 16 minute miles, that's cool.

And to Jen...you can wear white if you want.   That would be cool!  I do remember once that the snowplows were coming down the highway and were unable to see me.  Since no one dared to be on the road I was running down the middle of the highway.  It was on me to get out of the way!

2013-02-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4612627

User image

Elite
far northern CA
wbayek - 2013-02-07 7:30 AM

Wow, there's hope for me - I have something in common with Jeff!  I was a super premie, and back in the day when the medical technology wasn't as good at rescuing babies born so early.  I was just under 2 pounds, and they told my mom to enjoy me as the doctors were pretty certain I wouldn't make it.  I think I'm her favorite of the 6 of us to this day due to that bond.

Whoa!  2 pounds!  How early were you!

Lots of tiny baby talk here.  My son was a moose at a little over 9 pounds!  Natural birth.  No meds.  Five hour labor.  Yep!  I'm a tough one! Tongue out

2013-02-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4612607

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JeffY - 2013-02-07 10:21 AM
wbayek - 2013-02-07 8:23 AM

Warren, that sounds awesome!  I might ask you to invite me to stay with you for Timberman some year (not this year though).  It would be pretty awesome to load up my transition bag and ride the bike to the race.

Warren thanks as Jeff said that would be very awesome to do be able to that. Maybe we get some of the Junkies do something on the east coast one of these years. I also would never put it past Jeff to do something crazy like riding up to Timberman, that is just crazy talk!

2013-02-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4612873

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

With Dina having irritation under her kneecap, and me too (I think my painful heels have me favoring one leg so the other knee is sore) I thought I would post a little bit about an exercise I think that ALL runners should be doing as a preventive measure even if your kneecaps feel great.

The most effective way to strengthen the Vastus Medialis (VMO) is with leg extensions.  Drs and physical therapists will say that this exercise is bad for your knee and will prescribe different AND LESS EFFECTIVE means to strengthen the VMO.  The truth is that leg extensions done by bodybuilders, powerlifters, men with a gung-ho attitude...can lead to injury.  If the weight being done is moderate there is no problems with this exercise.

http://youtu.be/MyJFML59TIw

The VMO is the teardrop shaped muscle on the inside of the lower thigh that shares the tendon attachment to the kneecap.  Since 2 thigh muscles share this attachment (the other is the Vastus Lateralis), if one of them is underpowered the knee cap is pulled sideways.  Distance runners and even cyclists will usually have a VMO that is underdeveloped relative to the VLO.

So do this at least one time each week.  If you want tips on the right weight, limiting range of motion, the finer points of the technique...just ask.

2013-02-07 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jeff I am looking forward to getting a run in the snow this weekend but I may pass on the Friday night blizzard run. The potential 60 mph wind gusts just don't sound appealing to me however I do have a short bike workout on Friday evening scheduled maybe I'll make it a short bike/run brick. I agree there is something very cool about running in the snow at night.

2013-02-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I've been doing leg extensions twice per week since I hurt my foot.  I've been gaining a lot more strength.  I don't have problems with my knees.  Even after I get back to running and hard cycling, I'll keep doing these strength workouts.  It only takes about 15 minutes to get a decent leg workout.  That's nothing!
2013-02-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4612915

User image

Elite
far northern CA
strikyr - 2013-02-07 9:33 AM

Jeff I am looking forward to getting a run in the snow this weekend but I may pass on the Friday night blizzard run. The potential 60 mph wind gusts just don't sound appealing to me however I do have a short bike workout on Friday evening scheduled maybe I'll make it a short bike/run brick. I agree there is something very cool about running in the snow at night.

Good luck with the nasty weather.

2013-02-07 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
The swim gods have undermined me again this week. I was supposed to go out and get a lunch time swim in today and tomorrow however my van decided it did not want to start for me. The battery died so I'll have to wait to get a jump this evening when my wife gets home. I knew it was coming and it is probably time to have the battery replaced but as usual something has happened the last 3 or 4 weeks where I just have not been able to get to the pool for my 3 swim sessions which is a real bummer. I'll try and get in there tomorrow and then try it again next week.
2013-02-07 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I think the swim gods are after me too.  Got in the pool yesterday and just couldnt generage the power I normally do, I was missing every split.  Cut the workout short and by the time I got to my car the right side of my back was hurting alot, even hurts to breathe.  I'm not sure exactly what I did but I sure strained something.
2013-02-07 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

David and Tony, sorry ya'll have not swim and i haven't either and it looks like next week  is out too.

Jeff, when I USED to go to the gym and work legs...oh I miss the days..... anyway I would do leg extensions every leg say but I would also add that when you are doing them do a set with toes pointed out as the video shows then do a set with the toes pointed towards eatch other at about  45 degree point the another set with the toes pointed out.  i would do 2 sets each for a total of 6.  Also I would never go heavy and keep the weight very controlled, not bouncing at the bottom and if you are feeling really strong, stop and flex it at the top for a count of 2. ..lol Ya'll please do not do sets of 4 or 6 reps...

2013-02-07 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4613105

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-02-07 1:21 PM

David and Tony, sorry ya'll have not swim and i haven't either and it looks like next week  is out too.

Jeff, when I USED to go to the gym and work legs...oh I miss the days..... anyway I would do leg extensions every leg say but I would also add that when you are doing them do a set with toes pointed out as the video shows then do a set with the toes pointed towards eatch other at about  45 degree point the another set with the toes pointed out.  i would do 2 sets each for a total of 6.  Also I would never go heavy and keep the weight very controlled, not bouncing at the bottom and if you are feeling really strong, stop and flex it at the top for a count of 2. ..lol Ya'll please do not do sets of 4 or 6 reps...

Karl, I think you meant up, out, in?

For DINA only, just do them with the toes pointed out slightly...that direction focuses more on the VMO muscle.  Don't do toes in for now because you don't need your VLO even stronger at this point or it will continue to pull the kneecap that way.

For everyone not feeling 'runners knee' at this point, do all those directions.

2013-02-07 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Jeff, yes that is what I meant... up...
2013-02-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4612432

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jenbmosley - 2013-02-07 9:07 AM

I really do appreciate this point. Just this morning I had two folks tell me that they just can't recover the way they used to and it's because they are getting older. They are both in their early 40's and one didn't get active until her late 30's. I asked her if she ever pushed her body like this in her early 20's or early 30's - her reply was no. I couldn't help but pass this infomration along to her.

Umm?  Excuse me!  And what is wrong with being in your early 40's?  I am not old!  Warren and Jeff are old.  Very old!  I am quite young at 43. 

I can't really say if I recover any better now or at a younger age because I didn't beat myself up like I do now.  When I was in my late 20's and early 30's I power lifted but I don't think I trashed myself the way I do today.

2013-02-07 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4613461

User image

NH
DirkP - 2013-02-07 6:12 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-02-07 9:07 AM

I really do appreciate this point. Just this morning I had two folks tell me that they just can't recover the way they used to and it's because they are getting older. They are both in their early 40's and one didn't get active until her late 30's. I asked her if she ever pushed her body like this in her early 20's or early 30's - her reply was no. I couldn't help but pass this infomration along to her.

Umm?  Excuse me!  And what is wrong with being in your early 40's?  I am not old!  Warren and Jeff are old.  Very old!  I am quite young at 43. 

I can't really say if I recover any better now or at a younger age because I didn't beat myself up like I do now.  When I was in my late 20's and early 30's I power lifted but I don't think I trashed myself the way I do today.

I'll take old, but not very old!  It's the miles anyway.  I can say that I pushed myself in my earlier years.  In college I would play hockey 2-4 hours a day, including getting hit and hitting people, lived on a diet of Cap'n crunch, PB&J sandwiches and Kraft's mac and cheese, drank bad keg beer, slept 5 hours a night, and felt fine and could do it every day for months on end.  And I somehow even managed to graduate with a  computer science degree, a pretty high GPA and two minors!

In all seriousness, I think I don't push myself anywhere near as hard as I could and I'm pretty certain I could recover from a lot more work than I currently do.  There are a lot of reasons for that, the least noble of which is I leave myself an out if I don't train to the max.  There's some free 50 cent amateur psychology for ya!

Another thing the master runner said was that the master runner just can't make the same mistakes you can make when you are younger.  Luckily, we are wiser.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119