BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-18 8:28 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Ok gang. Totally non tri related but I am going to put it out there that I am picking Michigan State to win the National Championship.

It is going to be a very good year to be a Spartan. Rose Bowl victory and then a National Championship (I hope )

Sending in my bracket to the billion dollar bracket contest if I can figure out how to do it.

2014-03-18 8:29 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Chris my wife and I will be married 40 years this August. Want to know the secret to our longevity? I figured out 39 years ago who was TOWKA.

That's amazing! Congrats!!

MY NEW BIKE IS HERE MY NEW BIKE IS HERE!! But it's still in the box LOL. It needs to be built up and I need to find 2 hours to go and get it when it's ready. YAY!!!!!
2014-03-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Ok gang. Totally non tri related but I am going to put it out there that I am picking Michigan State to win the National Championship.

It is going to be a very good year to be a Spartan. Rose Bowl victory and then a National Championship (I hope )

Sending in my bracket to the billion dollar bracket contest if I can figure out how to do it.

Jason I like their chances depending on which team shows up. When they are playing well they can beat anyone. But I have seen a few really bad games by them. Since I have no horse in this race I will send my good thoughts to Sparty.
2014-03-19 6:37 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jason I like their chances depending on which team shows up. When they are playing well they can beat anyone. But I have seen a few really bad games by them. Since I have no horse in this race I will send my good thoughts to Sparty.

Thanks for the support. I never really get too tied up in whether my team wins or loses but it sure is fun when a team that you have some affinity to gets on a roll. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the good Spartans show up for the tournament. This senior class has some unfinished business.

I did a short swim last night, really concentrating on form and felt great in the water. One of the guys that is frequently at the pool when I am even commented that I was looking smooth and comfortable. I am going to take my daughter to the rec center tonight and do my swim workout in the same lane with her. It should be really motivating trying to keep up with my 11 year old. If she really wants to turn on the rockets, I can't even stay close. Hopefully showing up her dad will be motivation for her to get in a good workout as well.
2014-03-19 7:18 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I can't wait until my son is old enough to hand me my butt on a silver platter in something athletic. He's only 2, so I have a few years to go. Honestly if he started swimming now though he'd probably have me in a year or two.

Had one of those days yesterday at work that just makes you want to explode. Went home, wife made turkey tacos for dinner which are my favorite, my son helped her bake cookies and I just had this super peaceful run to cap the night off, even though it was around 20F out. Amazing what being out in the dark with no noise except your feet hitting the pavement and your breathing bouncing can do for your soul.
2014-03-19 7:20 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Chris my wife and I will be married 40 years this August. Want to know the secret to our longevity? I figured out 39 years ago who was TOWKA.

That's amazing! Congrats!!

MY NEW BIKE IS HERE MY NEW BIKE IS HERE!! But it's still in the box LOL. It needs to be built up and I need to find 2 hours to go and get it when it's ready. YAY!!!!!

Any updates on the bike? Can't wait to hear more about it.

2014-03-19 7:27 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by jonD81

I can't wait until my son is old enough to hand me my butt on a silver platter in something athletic. He's only 2, so I have a few years to go. Honestly if he started swimming now though he'd probably have me in a year or two.

It is funny, my son is not an athlete. He just does not enjoy athletic things. He is coordinated and strong and could not have less interest in sports. A great kid with a lot af fantastic qualities but athletic endeavors aren't one of them. When you have a son most of us imagine throwing a ball with them or teaching them soccer or sharing sports with them. This has never really happened with my son. I told my wife one day how different being a parent to my son is than what I expected it to be. I had to get over my issues and embrace what he is interested in. It was a growth moment for me Of course now I have this daughter that swims like a fish. Never expected that either. She certainly did not get it from me (or my wife).
2014-03-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I can't pick it up until next week (my schedule) so he said he'd have it ready for Monday.

The cage is just a plastic thing I'm putting on there for now for training and OMG the reflectors have to go!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-03-19 9:37 AM

(IMG_20140319_093257_534.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140319_093257_534.jpg (1013KB - 3 downloads)
2014-03-19 9:41 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I can't pick it up until next week (my schedule) so he said he'd have it ready for Monday.

The cage is just a plastic thing I'm putting on there for now for training and OMG the reflectors have to go!!

Pretty.
2014-03-19 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Looks very pretty-and fast!

I have less fortunate news-it seems I've come up lame I ran Sunday and felt great, but yesterday I had a pain on the outside of my foot that got worse when I ran 4 miles yesterday. It wasn't excruciating, but it was definitely there. My PT girlfriend diagnosed peroneal tendonitis, which isn't disastrous. I think I ran in my current pair of shoes too long and my ankle was rolling a little too much. On the plus side, it doesn't seem serious, and I was planning on easing up on training over the next few days since I have a Sprint Tri this Sunday. I'm heading out today to my LRS to get some new shoes, and will continue to bike and swim, just ease up on running for a few day and see how it goes.
2014-03-19 11:40 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
What an awesome looking bike. Very jealous. Enjoy the heck out if it. Maybe we'll even get some warm enough weather so you can take it outside before too long.

Jamie, that stinks about your foot but hopefully a new pair of shoes and toning back the training a bit will help it out. I know any time I get new shoes it's like a whole new world.

2014-03-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Master
Beautiful bike!!!
2014-03-19 12:56 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

That's awesome! I want one too. Major bike envy.
2014-03-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by slornow

OK gang, here is a question for the group. Looking ahead, what is the one goal you would like to achieve this season? The most important thing on your goal list? It may be finishing your first triathlon, beating your previous PR in an event, a specific finishing time in an event....etc?  

I have several goals, as do most of you, but right now I would have to say my A++ goal would be to qualify for Team USA at USAT AG Nationals. The 2015 World Championships will be in Chicago in 2015 and I think that would be a great experience. 

So, lets put it out there....the season is right around the corner! Don't be shy.   

That is a great question.  I guess, first and foremost, is stay healthy enough to train all three sports plus the related strength training, all year long.  Assuming I get that accomplished (or at least through June), my main goal is to qualify for AGNs.  I'm probably going to need to go sub-2:30, maybe sub-2:25 to do it at my target race.

2014-03-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, kids.  I just spent 5 days enjoying 80 degree weather in Orlando while we got 6 inches of snow here Monday morning.  HA!!  (just had to say it). 

Jason, I like MSU's chances as long as they stay as healthy as possible, which has been a real problem for them this year.  They seem to be a lot of people's "dark horse" pick.  I'm all over the place with my picks right now...more thought on that one required (and probably a beer or two...).

Chris- funny story about the wife and coaching...I have a TOWKA in my house too.  :-)

Training is coming along...the vacation cut a couple of planned sessions but I don't think I'll miss them.  I start Masters Friday, which should be interesting.

2014-03-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-that is a great looking bike. Get all this work crap out of the way and ride that bike!

Jamie-hope things improve quickly. I developed peroneal tendonitis in January. Kind of on the outside upper part of the right calf. I had just taken some time off due to a knee issue and I head out running and the calf thing pops up. Probably was changing my gait when I was running with the sore knee. I took a week off from running and it was fine.

Beautiful here today. I was on the road but got home early enough to get in a ride and run.

NCAA-I have always been a huge college basketball fan and a big UNC fan since I was about 5. I don't think they have a chance this year and I have not kept up with things like I usually do. I think it is wide open this year. Tom Izzo always does a great job of getting his team playing their best this time of year. I'm going to pick Florida. Not exactly out on a limb but they have a veteran team and a good coach. As a true UNC fan my real desire is for anyone other than Duke to win!

2014-03-19 6:00 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jamie clearly you didn't read my post from a few weeks ago. I said no new incidents with cars but le me expand it - NO NEW INJURIES! Hope it feels better soon.

I was planning a ride this morning but business got in the way so I went out about 2:00. I should have checked the temp because when I got back it was In the low 80s and I was burning up. I can't remember when was the last time I was that overheated. The ride was ok time wise but I was definitely feeling like I was rode hard and put away wet.

Friday will definitely be an am ride.
2014-03-19 6:23 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Wow, lots going on in here today!

Randee – Bike looks FANTASTIC, and FAST!

Jamie – Sorry to hear about the tendinitis. Like Randy said, shut it down briefly and it should respond really quickly, sounds like you caught it early and didn’t keep pushing it.

Mike – Welcome back but you had to rub it in about the weather, didn't you?

Stuart – That goes double for you. I am having a little difficulty summoning up a tear for you and your overheating issue on your outdoor ride today.

As for the tourney, I am like Randy. Used to be a huge college basketball fan and just haven’t paid as much attention in recent years. A group of my guys wanted me to fill out a bracket for fun with them and then they laughed at me once I did. Won’t they all be jealous when my completely random bracket blows them away?!?

Have a great night everyone. I got a decent little trainer ride in after dinner and will probably go for a short run tonight if the icing and snow holds off for another hour or so until the youngest is in bed.
2014-03-19 7:24 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by 43YORook

Stuart – That goes double for you. I am having a little difficulty summoning up a tear for you and your overheating issue on your outdoor ride today.

Chris look, somebody has to live here. I am happy to bite the bullet and do that so you can enjoy beautiful Grand Rapids.

Stay warm my friend, 29 degrees over the weekend is why I live here. I will be thinking warm thoughts for you though.
2014-03-19 8:34 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jamie...she's a P.T.!!?? She's definitely a keeper, particularly since Gus approves!

I was up at 4:15 this morning and first in the pool at 5. Had a nice 1500 yard swim, but good grief I must've had ADD this morning because I could NOT keep my head looking DOWN at the bottom of the pool.

I'd be swimming along and notice that my stroke just felt off, and then have an a-ha moment...hey bonehead, why are you looking forward at your hands entering the water? When I keep my head down, things just feel so 'right.'

Had my 2 week appt with the physiologist today, and he ironed out a few of the hot spots. He also informed me (after I asked him to put his hands of healing on my left shoulder) that I have bursitis in that shoulder joint. I picked up some B12 sublingual spray on the way home, so here's hoping that will help. It's bothered me off and on for quite some time (5 years or so), and I just always assumed it was tight muscles, lack of flexibility, etc. Fortunately, swimming over the past year hasn't really irritated it.

Speaking of medical issues...does anyone here practice law? I'm a state employee and our health insurance (State Health Benefits) required us to all 'choose' one of three levels of BCBS with an HRA account. I didn't have any issues with it, as we've had an HRA for years, and we've rolled over our balance each year so have a lot accrued. HOWEVER, many people in the system complained, so the state 'changed' our health insurance as of 3/14/14 to an HMO/HRA. I now have to pay a co-pay for all visits, AND, here's the kicker, it's retroactive, so I have to make a co-pay for ALL the visits I've had with my exercise physiologist prior to 3/14/14. That's 8 visits at $45 a copay!! (and the equivalent to new bike shoes, a tri kit and new bike tires OR the equivalent to an IM70.3 entry and a Rev3 half entry!). If I were allowed to just keep my HRA account, they just pulled the agreed upon $25.00 per visit out of my HRA account and I paid $0.00. I'm not sure how the insurance company can legally require me to pay retroactively for something I never signed up for.

Okay...back to tri related things...
2014-03-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by glfprncs

Speaking of medical issues...does anyone here practice law? I'm a state employee and our health insurance (State Health Benefits) required us to all 'choose' one of three levels of BCBS with an HRA account. I didn't have any issues with it, as we've had an HRA for years, and we've rolled over our balance each year so have a lot accrued. HOWEVER, many people in the system complained, so the state 'changed' our health insurance as of 3/14/14 to an HMO/HRA. I now have to pay a co-pay for all visits, AND, here's the kicker, it's retroactive, so I have to make a co-pay for ALL the visits I've had with my exercise physiologist prior to 3/14/14. That's 8 visits at $45 a copay!! (and the equivalent to new bike shoes, a tri kit and new bike tires OR the equivalent to an IM70.3 entry and a Rev3 half entry!). If I were allowed to just keep my HRA account, they just pulled the agreed upon $25.00 per visit out of my HRA account and I paid $0.00. I'm not sure how the insurance company can legally require me to pay retroactively for something I never signed up for.

Okay...back to tri related things...

Nancy how about the next best thing. I am quite knowledgeable about health insurance including HRAs as that is my field (and my daughter is a lawyer) (and I use an HRA in my business). The short answer is you need to look at your Summary Plan Document (SPD). I am sure they either gave you a copy or have it available online. It will spell out what the plan is and for what period.

If your SPD is a calendar year plan which began on 1/1/2014 and they have changed it I would inquire as to where in the provisions of the plan or the Collective Bargaining Agreement if you are in a union with respect to benefits they have the right to make a mid-tear plan change. It is not unusual however.

In short, employers do have a right to change the plan design of an HRA just as they have the right to change a health plan. Finally I must make a comment about your last sentence. I know it feels like the insurance company is the bad guy here but the fault lies 100% with your employer. The carrier is not the one who unilaterally changed the plan, in fact they can never do that.

If you want to dig into this more send me a PM and I would be happy to help if I can.

2014-03-19 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4967983

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Thanks, Stuart. In the end, the change occurred when state employees, who have never had an HRA, complained in droves to politicians. Being an election year, they scrambled. My beef is with the GA Dept of Community Health. They voted in Jan to change the plan. I'm sure it helps many, but not me. I would have liked the option to keep what I signed up for in October. GA is a right to work state, so no collective bargaining. Unions don't really exist in the South. I'll send you a specific p.m. tomorrow. Thank you.

You are truly a Tree of Knowledge.
2014-03-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by glfprncs

You are truly a Tree of Knowledge.

Is that a kind way of saying I know a lot of stuff because I am really old?!

2014-03-19 11:02 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Love the videos!

Randee -- Awesome bike! Black with some dabs of red is very cool. Kinda like a black widow... watch out!

Stuart -- Glad to see you getting out there on some rides!

Randy -- About the NCAAs... I'm not necessarily a UNC fan, but I agree with the ATOTD (Any team other than Duke). Florida is a good safe pick. I think a Pac 12 team (Arizona or UCLA) might surprise some folks...

Great goals, everybody -- very inspiring. I see a lot of similarities and ways that we can help and encourage each other.

My big goal for this year is finish an Oly Tri in 2:30. If I can do it in April at the Silicon Valley International Triathlon, it might be enough to qualify for the USAT nationals. I'm also doing my first HIM in June, but I don't have a clue what my goal is for that one -- except to finish.

Man, it's tough getting older. My recovery time is just ridiculous. Tonight was the first time I finally felt recovered after doing a SPRINT triathlon 10 days ago! I'm afraid I might be bed-ridden for weeks after doing an HIM in June...

2014-03-20 5:51 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-I practice law but don't do anything in the healthcare law area. Sounds like you are getting great information from Stuart. Curious about the B12 spray....what is it suppose to do? I have a little soreness in my left shoulder when I swim. Extra points to you for a 5AM swim!

Stuart-once again stepping to the plate to help with all our issues. Oh, the rear blinker light, driver's side, on my Honda Accord is out. What model number do I need?  Just kidding of course.

Steve-I'm with you on the recovery time. I suspect you have a combination of accumulated fatigue, sprint hangover and some tough workouts. Not that a HIM is easy by any means but the stress both physically and emotionally is so different than a sprint/oly where you are pushing at redline or close the whole time. I describe the effort level of a HIM as "comfortably hard." May be a bad choice of words but its much more of a process. We will get you through it with flying colors when the time gets here.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.