BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-08-26 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3065191

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
billsorg - 2010-08-26 11:52 AM
aarondavidson - 2010-08-25 9:36 PM

mdfahy - 2010-08-22 1:39 PM I just checked out Aaron and he just finished Timberman HIM, he broke it open on the run, with a huge negative split!!!  Swim was 38:06, bike 2:57:11 (18.95mph) and run is avg. 8:25 ppm!!!  His last 4 miles were 7:45 ppm!!!  Crazy Holy smokes that's fast!  TT 5:30:45 YES!  GREAT JOB!!!

Andy Potts took 1st at 3:50:51!!!

Thanks. I took it way easy on the bike. Course felt easier this year. Remember I crashed last year, separated my shoulder. So I went easy on the descents. Swim was insanely packed. Run was good minus two bathroom stops. Lost 5-6min. First loop was easy and then pushed up the 2nd lap.

Nice job, Aaron!  Very impressive time and that run was scorching!  Andy Potts is a freaking machine... I'm a big fan of his.  I hope he wins Kona this year... I think he was top 10 last year.

Aaron, I was thinking of you as I was bombing down some of those hills.  Prudent to take it easy given the history and conditions.  Your run was smoking no matter how you got there, and after hearing you had bathroom breaks even more impressive.  Great race overall.

2010-08-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Question:  What would you all recommend for a taper for an IM AquaVelo?  I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 days.  The event is in 4 weeks and I have no idea how long to taper.  I'm approaching this event as a test and long training day rather than a competitive race. 
2010-08-30 8:28 AM

User image

NH
I'm no taper expert, but I'd think you'd want 2 weeks to taper for that event.  That's a serious day.  Based on your FL effort, I doubt once you're in the heat of the battle you'll be able to stay away from racing at least a little!
2010-08-30 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
x2 on no taper-expert...but don't underestimate the volume/strain on your system. That's a long way to swim and a long way to bike.  Respect the distance. 5-10 days sounds about right to me - but then again, I don't like to taper because I like the training too much.
2010-08-30 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Just wanted to wish Matt and Jennifer good luck this upcoming weekend.  I am heading to New Mexico for 6 days.  We won't have computer, t.v, or phone service.  Woo Haa.  I have a 70 mile bike / 16 mile run brick planned.  I think it will be my last big test before taper.  Unforturnately, I won't have anywhere to swim.  Maybe a big day today and tomorrow will pull me through.  Have a great week and weekend.
2010-08-30 12:13 PM

User image

NH
A week without technology!  Sounds like heaven Ray.  Enjoy it.  That's quite a brick, you should feel ready.

This group does have a busy month of September.  Good luck everyone.

2010-08-30 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3024291

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-08-04 10:54 PM hi everyone.

well, the summer is winding down for the family so that means I can get into a training schedule again and spend some more time on the group page as well. I've kept up somewhat to see how everyones training is going and to see what races you were all doing and how you did. it's neat to read how everyone did this summer. Very inspiring!

so I started training officially this week - but I've been running now for 4-5 weeks again and riding throughout the summer. This weekend while in Denver for vacation, i decided I'd run a 1/2 marathon in October to do something I've never done and never thought I could do (or want to for that matter!).  So, if the questions i ask at times are beginnerish since all of you have done a 1/2, I apologize - you have just inspired me to try new things and push harder on the things I already do.

enjoy the rest of your summer and vacations.

Welcome back. You will do fine at the race.

2010-09-01 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
So - it looks like Hurricane Earl may make it up here just in time for my race. While I am fine with running in the rain (actually kind of like it if it's not too cold), and okay with riding my bike in the rain (just slower because of the surface conditions and braking), but I really am not interested in swimming in rough conditions. Have any of you had a rough swim? Any suggestions for getting through it?

The other part that's not so great - we've had a string of very hot (for us with no air conditioning) days - 90s during the day, 70s at night...which means that the lake has really warmed up...which means the wet suit may be too warm. I swam with the wet suit last week when the water was cooler and actually felt pretty good (compared to my previous race when I wore the wet suit and felt like I was overheating)...I guess the hurricane could cool the water off a bit before the race, eh?

Just random musings while getting amped up for the race. I feel ready now. I know the course very well. Just worrying about the things I can't control (like weather). Thanks for all the encouragement...
2010-09-01 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3075191

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-01 7:19 AM So - it looks like Hurricane Earl may make it up here just in time for my race. While I am fine with running in the rain (actually kind of like it if it's not too cold), and okay with riding my bike in the rain (just slower because of the surface conditions and braking), but I really am not interested in swimming in rough conditions. Have any of you had a rough swim? Any suggestions for getting through it?

The other part that's not so great - we've had a string of very hot (for us with no air conditioning) days - 90s during the day, 70s at night...which means that the lake has really warmed up...which means the wet suit may be too warm. I swam with the wet suit last week when the water was cooler and actually felt pretty good (compared to my previous race when I wore the wet suit and felt like I was overheating)...I guess the hurricane could cool the water off a bit before the race, eh?

Just random musings while getting amped up for the race. I feel ready now. I know the course very well. Just worrying about the things I can't control (like weather). Thanks for all the encouragement...

Jennifer,
I think Aaron said it in a post a while back... if wetsuits are legal, wear it.  It will help everything from speed and bouyancy, to confidence in the water.  Especially if the water is choppy.  If you start getting warm, just stretch open the neck to let some cool water in.  If it's a wetsuit legal race, you shouldn't overheat. 

If you want to read about a rough swim, go back to my first race report of this year!  My recommendation is just to do everything you can to keep moving forward... and that includes switching to breastroke from time to time if necessary.  The wetsuit will help keep your head well above water to help you avoid inhaling the chop in the water.  You'll do great!
Bill
2010-09-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3075191

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-01 7:19 AM So - it looks like Hurricane Earl may make it up here just in time for my race. While I am fine with running in the rain (actually kind of like it if it's not too cold), and okay with riding my bike in the rain (just slower because of the surface conditions and braking), but I really am not interested in swimming in rough conditions. Have any of you had a rough swim? Any suggestions for getting through it?

Jennifer, I think the weather will be fine by Sunday morning, and definitely cooler.  But if the water is rough, as Bill and Aaron said, wear the wetsuit.  And typically weather rough will come from one direction, so prepare to breath to the other side.  If you get a wave splash during a breath, relax and do whatever it takes to completely recover before going back to your full swim stroke.

Otherwise, if it's nasty forget the goals you made with perfect conditions in mind, and just race your race and know that you're prepared.  You'll do great.

Edited by wbayek 2010-09-01 8:58 AM
2010-09-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3075540

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-09-01 9:57 AM

Jennifer, I think the weather will be fine by Sunday morning, and definitely cooler.  But if the water is rough, as Bill and Aaron said, wear the wetsuit.  And typically weather rough will come from one direction, so prepare to breath to the other side.  If you get a wave splash during a breath, relax and do whatever it takes to completely recover before going back to your full swim stroke.

Otherwise, if it's nasty forget the goals you made with perfect conditions in mind, and just race your race and know that you're prepared.  You'll do great.

Wear it. No reason not to.

2010-09-02 3:28 PM

User image

NH
Hopefully some of you are online since I only have about an hour to decide.

I'm scheduled for a 60 minute long run tonight.  It's 95 and there's also an air quality alert per the weather reports.  I'm feeling a bit dragged down, not sure what's been causing that.

I skipped a swim yesterday, so I'm feeling not good about missing two days.  I know it's taper week, but this week looks more like a recovery week in that it's a cutdown in volume with some intensity and next week is more of an easy week with some short workouts with pickups.

Should I run tonight?
2010-09-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3079254

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-09-02 1:28 AM Hopefully some of you are online since I only have about an hour to decide.

I'm scheduled for a 60 minute long run tonight.  It's 95 and there's also an air quality alert per the weather reports.  I'm feeling a bit dragged down, not sure what's been causing that.

I skipped a swim yesterday, so I'm feeling not good about missing two days.  I know it's taper week, but this week looks more like a recovery week in that it's a cutdown in volume with some intensity and next week is more of an easy week with some short workouts with pickups.

Should I run tonight?

Probably too late for answer, but I would think about running 30 minutes.  Sometimes I feel dragged down then when I exercise I feel much better.  Good luck either way!
2010-09-02 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3069641

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-08-28 7:06 PM Question:  What would you all recommend for a taper for an IM AquaVelo?  I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 days.  The event is in 4 weeks and I have no idea how long to taper.  I'm approaching this event as a test and long training day rather than a competitive race. 

I was thinking 7-10 days too
2010-09-03 7:57 AM

User image

NH
I ended up walking a quick 45 minutes.  It was fine, but I just didn't think running was in the cards.  I figure I can only make things worse from here on out.  Still feeling dragged and coughing, hopefully just a side effect of heavy work outs and now the taper.  I'm planning my normal bike at lunch today.
2010-09-03 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I think you made the right choice - when the National Weather Service has issued air quality warnings, I figure there is a reason and I should take it easy...fortunately, it looks like the heat wave has broken and we are in for some cooler weather.

Have a great Labor Day weekend all! Enjoy.

2010-09-03 2:43 PM

User image

NH
I had a little setback today.  Some of you know I've been fighting a cough and general draggedness, but I've attributed it to the heat and pollen and workouts and now the taper.  Well, this morning I had a fever too, so my wife convinced me to see the DR.  First funny thing is that the nurse did a double take and retook my pulse.  She then asked if was a runner, and when I said sort of, I'm a triathlete, she said good.  She said someone my age with a pulse so low (46) would be a problem if not an athlete.  Kinda cool I thought.

Anyway, after prodding and x-raying and such, my DR determined I have acute bronchitis.  Acute makes it sound serious but I guess that just differentiates it from chronic.  Anyway, the main symptoms are being tired (check) and coughing (check), and since it's viral there's not much you can do about it except sleep a lot, hydrate, use an albuterol inhaler to help the coughing, and wait for it to pass (typically 2-3 weeks apparently, so I'll still have it next weekend).

Oh, and try not to do anything too strenuous.  I laughed at that one and asked if a 6 hour swim/bike/run would qualify.  He laughed, but he's a runner so he gets it, and absolutely thinks I should be able to race next weekend.  He just cautioned me to not expect to break any land speed records and expect to be a little more fatigued than usual, and be smart - but he knows me so he knows that part is unlikely.

I'm just planning to continue my taper, sleep as much as possible this week and hope for the best since there's nothing else I can do about it.  It's funny that my bike today went fine though I do feel unusually beat now a few hours later.

Have any of you ever experienced having this while racing?  Any advice?
2010-09-03 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3079678

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-09-02 8:10 PM
mdfahy - 2010-08-28 7:06 PM Question:  What would you all recommend for a taper for an IM AquaVelo?  I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 days.  The event is in 4 weeks and I have no idea how long to taper.  I'm approaching this event as a test and long training day rather than a competitive race. 

I was thinking 7-10 days too

A typical IM taper is 2-3 weeks.

Honestly 10 days would be plenty. Mainly it is the run that you are trying to recover for.

2010-09-03 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3081140

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-09-03 3:43 PM I had a little setback today.  Some of you know I've been fighting a cough and general draggedness, but I've attributed it to the heat and pollen and workouts and now the taper.  Well, this morning I had a fever too, so my wife convinced me to see the DR.  First funny thing is that the nurse did a double take and retook my pulse.  She then asked if was a runner, and when I said sort of, I'm a triathlete, she said good.  She said someone my age with a pulse so low (46) would be a problem if not an athlete.  Kinda cool I thought.

Anyway, after prodding and x-raying and such, my DR determined I have acute bronchitis.  Acute makes it sound serious but I guess that just differentiates it from chronic.  Anyway, the main symptoms are being tired (check) and coughing (check), and since it's viral there's not much you can do about it except sleep a lot, hydrate, use an albuterol inhaler to help the coughing, and wait for it to pass (typically 2-3 weeks apparently, so I'll still have it next weekend).

Oh, and try not to do anything too strenuous.  I laughed at that one and asked if a 6 hour swim/bike/run would qualify.  He laughed, but he's a runner so he gets it, and absolutely thinks I should be able to race next weekend.  He just cautioned me to not expect to break any land speed records and expect to be a little more fatigued than usual, and be smart - but he knows me so he knows that part is unlikely.

I'm just planning to continue my taper, sleep as much as possible this week and hope for the best since there's nothing else I can do about it.  It's funny that my bike today went fine though I do feel unusually beat now a few hours later.

Have any of you ever experienced having this while racing?  Any advice?

I would race. With two conditions, know that after the race your immune system will be suppressed, so take it easy. Secondly if you feel it in your chest do not race, otherwise go for it.

2010-09-03 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3081351

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-09-03 5:39 PM  I would race. With two conditions, know that after the race your immune system will be suppressed, so take it easy. Secondly if you feel it in your chest do not race, otherwise go for it.

Thanks Aaron, that sounds perfect.  Right now it's totally in my airways and the chest feels fine.  It's not bad at all really, just the coughing and tiredness.  And truthfully my bike today was outstanding, so I really think this won't affect the race unless as you say it gets worse and into my chest.

I'm going to sleep like it's my job this week and do next to nothing.  I can't imagine I'll lose much if any fitness, maybe it'll even be great to give my legs the time off.

Believe me, with the work I've done and with the $$$ already spent, unless I'm in the hospital I'm racing even if I have to walk the whole way and add the DFL thread!
2010-09-03 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3081508

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2010-09-03 8:00 AM
aarondavidson - 2010-09-03 5:39 PM  I would race. With two conditions, know that after the race your immune system will be suppressed, so take it easy. Secondly if you feel it in your chest do not race, otherwise go for it.

Thanks Aaron, that sounds perfect.  Right now it's totally in my airways and the chest feels fine.  It's not bad at all really, just the coughing and tiredness.  And truthfully my bike today was outstanding, so I really think this won't affect the race unless as you say it gets worse and into my chest.

I'm going to sleep like it's my job this week and do next to nothing.  I can't imagine I'll lose much if any fitness, maybe it'll even be great to give my legs the time off.

Believe me, with the work I've done and with the $$$ already spent, unless I'm in the hospital I'm racing even if I have to walk the whole way and add the DFL thread!

Aaron's advice sounds spot on. I am so sorry you are going through this - but your plan sounds good. The medications should kick in pretty quickly - a week to have them doing their job is a nice chunk of time.

I just got my volunteer assignment for Pumpkinman - I'm helping out on the bike course...since you will be killing it there, I hope to only see you as you scream past.

Take it easy, rest up, drink LOTS of fluid and enjoy your taper!

Edited by itsallrelative_Maine 2010-09-04 7:58 AM

2010-09-04 10:16 AM

User image

NH
Thanks all.  I'm glad I can yak here and save my wife the chatter.  We can get consumed by this stuff so it's great to have a place where we can let it out.  KJind of like Cheers.

I hope we get to talk before the race too Jennifer.

Now focus on your race tomorrow.  It looks like everything will be mostly cleared out by then and you'll have a great day.  Show off all that work you've been doing.  You are gonna absolutely destroy the course.
2010-09-05 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Hello all,

Just a quick update - in all honesty I'm too tired to do the whole race report. My pie in the sky goal was at 3 hours with a much more realistic goal of 4 hours...made it across the finish line at 3:09 so I am very pleased with the results. I came out of the water at the BOP, did really well on the bike (negative split the two loop course) and kept it steady for the run (only 5 minutes slower than I typically run the route first thing in the morning).

Once I finished, I was surprised at how much I ache. Everything is tired. Even the bottom of my feet hurt. Wow! After a shower, I stretched out on our bed and nothing has ever felt so good to me. Maybe another year of Oly's is in the cards before attempting the HIM...that's gotta be another level of pain. So impressed with you all.

More later, after a nap, a beer, some lobster and fireworks.

Thanks all. I kept thinking during the race how far I have come from a year and a half ago (when I couldn't have completed even one of the events - much less all three). This group has been a great sounding board - and a wonderful source of inspiration.
2010-09-05 6:58 PM

User image

NH
That's a great race Jennifer.  And what a 10k, to hammer hard enough to almost match your fresh morning pace - impressive.  I can't wait to read the full report.  You really have come a long way.  Rest up and enjoy the feeling.
2010-09-06 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3082948

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-05 2:47 PM Hello all,

Just a quick update - in all honesty I'm too tired to do the whole race report. My pie in the sky goal was at 3 hours with a much more realistic goal of 4 hours...made it across the finish line at 3:09 so I am very pleased with the results. I came out of the water at the BOP, did really well on the bike (negative split the two loop course) and kept it steady for the run (only 5 minutes slower than I typically run the route first thing in the morning).

Once I finished, I was surprised at how much I ache. Everything is tired. Even the bottom of my feet hurt. Wow! After a shower, I stretched out on our bed and nothing has ever felt so good to me. Maybe another year of Oly's is in the cards before attempting the HIM...that's gotta be another level of pain. So impressed with you all.

More later, after a nap, a beer, some lobster and fireworks.

Thanks all. I kept thinking during the race how far I have come from a year and a half ago (when I couldn't have completed even one of the events - much less all three). This group has been a great sounding board - and a wonderful source of inspiration.

Hopefully you got to have some good fun after the race. Race sounds like it went well. Rest up. No rush to long distance.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76