General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-03-27 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

Travel's done for now (after Spring Break followed by a longish conference out of town), so I'm back to start up some serious training for Steelhead on August 14. Since I'm working very slowly and gradually on my running after a tendon injury, I'll be doing some run sessions in the pool still while adding mileage SLOWLY to the mix as I go. But it's about time I started adding some intensity to my swim and bike workouts: any cheering-on anyone can offer would be much appreciated! Smile

Tomorrow's plan: swim first thing, then run in the pool immediately after. I'll be tweaking the BT plan to fit with my work schedule.

*cheers all of you on in your respective training*

2011-03-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3416828

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-03-27 4:14 PM

Just rode the HIM course I'm doing in three weeks.  I'm pretty happy that I got a good ride and a little brick in but am disappoitned that the surface was so crappy.  I mean terrible! Still- on 3 hrs of sleep in the heat got out there and did 51mi of the 56 and rode 2mi to get there, so pretty much the whole thing.  Did a quick T2 and started running but since it was so hot and we didnt bring water we only did like 3.5 miles.

The course was pretty dismal, but still, confidence built up more today!

What a bummer that the road are bad, but how nice to be able to preview the course!!  That has to be a huge confidence builder!  Three weeks are going to be up before you know it!

2011-03-27 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3417029

User image

Expert
, Michigan
wrkinprogress - 2011-03-27 9:31 PM

Travel's done for now (after Spring Break followed by a longish conference out of town), so I'm back to start up some serious training for Steelhead on August 14. Since I'm working very slowly and gradually on my running after a tendon injury, I'll be doing some run sessions in the pool still while adding mileage SLOWLY to the mix as I go. But it's about time I started adding some intensity to my swim and bike workouts: any cheering-on anyone can offer would be much appreciated! Smile

Tomorrow's plan: swim first thing, then run in the pool immediately after. I'll be tweaking the BT plan to fit with my work schedule.

*cheers all of you on in your respective training*

You and I are on a similar schedule. I'm also returning from SB, 5 lbs heavier, and ready to get back to training after a five week low intensity tendon recovery schedule. A race is also the Steelhead! Training starts back up tomorrow in the pool!

Go Us!

2011-03-27 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3417034

Expert
akrenik - 2011-03-27 8:33 PM
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-03-27 4:14 PM

Just rode the HIM course I'm doing in three weeks.  I'm pretty happy that I got a good ride and a little brick in but am disappoitned that the surface was so crappy.  I mean terrible! Still- on 3 hrs of sleep in the heat got out there and did 51mi of the 56 and rode 2mi to get there, so pretty much the whole thing.  Did a quick T2 and started running but since it was so hot and we didnt bring water we only did like 3.5 miles.

What a bummer that the road are bad, but how nice to be able to preview the course!!  That has to be a huge confidence builder!  Three weeks are going to be up before you know it!

Yep- the course was dismal and through the total hood.  I am glad I got to ride it but won't want to do it many more times.  Yours is so damn soon! I can't believe it.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but assuming all goes well do you think you'll want to do another HIM shortly?  If I wasn't running berlin marathon in September I absolutely would, but still might consider HIM Miami...

2011-03-28 12:05 AM
in reply to: #3416828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Good for you for pre-riding your HIM course!!!  I wish I can do that.  Hopefully, my week training in Las Vegas gets approved so that I can be in NV the week of my HIM and preview the course all I want!!!  Definitely a confidence builder for sure!!!

Regarding my bike, it's a 2009 QR Caliente with Zipp 404s.  I had a super deal on it and I think it's what you call robbing (not literal of course). Fit me perfectly too but I might have a too aggressive fit for my own good and I will fix that.

I also had an excellent workout today.  Me and the buddies decided to ride their time trial course this coming Saturday.  It was through the Palos Verdes mountains.  It was a 10 mile loop that we were planning to do 2-3 times but the weather wasn't agreeing with us and it was raining near the top of the hill.  It had a 15% gradient for about a mile and we climbed 1550 feet total.  It took us an hour to do 11 miles!!!  Well I was really disappointed that we were only able to do it once and it got me pumped up to do a long run.  It's also because I ate such a heavy brunch after the ride hehehe...  Well I decided to run our ride!  I ran a half marathon with 1350 feet of climbing.  I did it in a 2hrs and 13 seconds.  I know it's pretty slow but I was taking it easy on the downhills and was trying to "preserve" the joints.  I felt pretty good after the run and I decided to soak in icy water for 20mins and hot water for 20mins more.  Legs are tired but not shot.  I think I might be remotely ready for my HIM as well... 

We got a good training group in this thread that's for sure!!!

JG_GreenCoast - 2011-03-27 6:14 PM

Just rode the HIM course I'm doing in three weeks.  I'm pretty happy that I got a good ride and a little brick in but am disappointed that the surface was so crappy.  I mean terrible! Still- on 3 hrs of sleep in the heat got out there and did 51mi of the 56 and rode 2mi to get there, so pretty much the whole thing.  Did a quick T2 and started running but since it was so hot and we didnt bring water we only did like 3.5 miles.

2011-03-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3416842

User image

Oshkosh, WI

"Get ready for a battle with the voice inside your head." I like that. That's excactly how I feel when I swim. I have to convince myself I can do it, especially with these longer workouts.

I swam a 2000 today in the pool, I changed the voice inside my head's mind!!!! Laughing

Here's what I didn't know about swimming, but I do now:

-I start to get dry mouth "cotton mouth" after lap 32

-My swimsuit starts to chafe my back after lap 30

-My finger's get a bit tingly after lap 35 

2011-03-28 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Great workout Arkmann!! Thats sounds like it was really tough. It is amazing how through all the tiredness and soreness you get those days where it all seems to start coming together.

I had a pretty good run yesterday and am thinking about running a marathon next weekend on kind of a whim. I have a buddy at work who is a pure runner and we were trying to equate my training to his. I figured I do the equivalent of about 40-50 miles of running per week (at least thats how I rationalize my ability to run a marathon with a long run to date of 13 miles). My goal would be to just finish and I'd employ a run/walk strategy (walk for 30 seconds after each mile). The course is very scenic and has over 300 feet of negative elevation point to point. A marathon was on my 2011 goal list.
2011-03-28 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

@popsracer: Marathon on a whim?  Good luck with that and more power to you.  I don't think I'll do a marathon this year, maybe next year and that's a big maybe.  It's amazing how the plan trains our body to get used to the strain.  It also doesn't hurt if you recover pretty quick like myself.  I had 6 hours of sleep and went for a swim at 5:30am.

Anyways, I did a 2000m time trial today and did it in 36:40.  I'm fine with that time 'coz I wasn't gased or anything.  I'll make up the time on the saddle and on my feet Cool

2011-03-28 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Wow - you guys and gals are kickin training butt!

Awesome Job!!!

2011-03-28 2:52 PM

User image

Foster City, CA
The Tri stars must be in alignment because I had the best workout of my training (to date) yesterday.  Extended a 2 1/2 hour ride to 3 hours with mostly rolling hills but one tougher one (8% grade for 4 miles).  Felt great hopping off the bike; clocked a 7:15/mile for my "recovery" run (~25 mins).  Needless to say, I'm feeling it a bit today, but the confidence is growing with only 4 1/2 weeks to go!
2011-03-28 3:49 PM

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Everyone sounds like they are doing great! This old man is hanging in there - now 6 weeks from race time at GC! This week has some of the longest workouts yet - mostly running. I decided yesterday to take care of my sore ankle and switch to the Eliptical for the run/bike/run workout. Ankle felt great - quads are sore today! I don't want to not do these long workouts, and it would suck to get really injured. So, I am going to use the eliptical as much as possible - though I am not to sure about the 2 hour run on thursday.
Did 3000m today. Plan calls for 3000 in 75min. I finished in 57. Must be making progress!

2011-03-28 4:24 PM

User image

Expert

Go Us indeed! I did 2050 in the pool this morning (accidentally misread some of the directions, oops), followed by 1:30 pool running. Not sure if that counts as a brick, but it's the first time I've made it for a SWIM in a while, so I count it as a victory!

Way to rock the Monday, people!

2011-03-28 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

Hello everyone,

New to this thread. Training for Steelhead and maybe a second one after that one.  I was last year's last person to make cutoff.  It was hilarious! I was already hurt in my calf and was walking.  I had 1.5 miles to go.  I asked the course marshal how much time I had left.  He said "oh! you got 20 minutes; you'll be fine." "Dude!!! I'm limping here--what part of this is not clear to you?! LOL.  It was the most painful 1.5 miles I've ever ran/dragged.  But dang it, I got the medal and the car sticker.  And I also biked past a 310xt on the side of the road.  Didn't want to stop and slow down--yeah, right.

This year, with better training, a chiro that will keep my temperamental left calf in check and more running experience, I'm guessing I'll PR it. Laughing Unfortunately due to family issues I wasn't able to start training in Jan/Feb.  Just started on the 15th.  I'm doing the 20 wks program focusing on running. But my swim mojo is still there; distance wise not speed.

Good luck to everyone this season!

2011-03-28 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3417866

User image

Veteran
wcocco - 2011-03-28 12:13 PM

"Get ready for a battle with the voice inside your head." I like that. That's excactly how I feel when I swim. I have to convince myself I can do it, especially with these longer workouts.

I swam a 2000 today in the pool, I changed the voice inside my head's mind!!!! Laughing

Here's what I didn't know about swimming, but I do now:

-I start to get dry mouth "cotton mouth" after lap 32

-My swimsuit starts to chafe my back after lap 30

-My finger's get a bit tingly after lap 35 

-FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!!! so get in there and pretend you're the fastest fish in that pool!!

-do you take water/electrolytes with you?

-use body glide in your swimsuit.

-not sure about the last one. are you wearing paddles?

-consider getting a waterproof mp3 player and put really happy/funky music.

2011-03-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3418583

User image

Veteran
wrkinprogress - 2011-03-28 5:24 PM

Go Us indeed! I did 2050 in the pool this morning (accidentally misread some of the directions, oops), followed by 1:30 pool running. Not sure if that counts as a brick, but it's the first time I've made it for a SWIM in a while, so I count it as a victory!

what exactly is running in the pool? with your nice shoes or barefoot? I just started walking/running and I'm trying to prevent the same injury I had last year when I just started in the sport. So, for my first 2 base months, I'll be using a treadmill and not run outside. So, is there really a benefit of running in pool? thx

2011-03-28 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3416727

User image

Veteran

fowlmood - 2011-03-27 5:39 PM

and the run without trying to overheat and legs starting to cramp. I am sure it doesn't help coming from Colorado with 15- 60 degree temp changes and going to Florida with high temps/humidity.

You can train for a race in very warm conditions relative to your home place:

You can train your body to push out the limit of the max core temperature you can tolerate. You do this by using heaters in your training room.  I logged 1,800 miles over 90 days in the middle of winter on my trainer while keeping the room at 92 degs with radiation and convection heaters.  I live in the Midwest and the cycling event was in the Caribbean.  I kept the room with dry heat; the best way to train your body for higher temps.  Don't simulate humidity. That's a cooling mechanism.  You want to train in the hottest/dry condition you can tolerate.  Doing this will not only train your body it will also teach you how many fluids and electrolytes you need to consume.  I kept a very detailed notebook of my liquid intake to determine this.  Without this knowledge you can underestimate fluids consumption in a tropical setting and can easily overheat and cramp.  

2011-03-28 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3418871

User image

Bronze member
trainforacure - 2011-03-28 7:53 PM
wrkinprogress - 2011-03-28 5:24 PM

what exactly is running in the pool? with your nice shoes or barefoot? I just started walking/running and I'm trying to prevent the same injury I had last year when I just started in the sport. So, for my first 2 base months, I'll be using a treadmill and not run outside. So, is there really a benefit of running in pool? thx

Pool running is also referred to as deep water jogging or aqua jogging. It is used by lots of different people to continue to exercise the same muscles you use while running outside but eliminate the impact. It is great for people struggling with injuries. Generally when I do it I wear a aqua belt that my pool has and stay in the deep end. I warm up for 5 minutes then do different types of drills for the remainder of my time in the pool. I do not wear shoes although, last year when my injury was mostly recovered I switched part of my pool running workout to the shallow end. I would have needed some kind of foot protection if I were to continue doing that was my feet were tore up from the bottom of the pool.

Yes there are lots of benefits to pool running. Here is a link if you would like to read more about it:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

2011-03-29 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
Good morning!  New to this thread, hoping to spend some time checking out everybody's logs.  My first HIM will be IM Boise 70.3 on June 11.  I have been training since Jan 1 and loving every minute.  Longest swim up to date is 1.5 miles (all swimming is in open water), longest bike 3 hours and longest run 10 miles.  I feel like I'm on track...I'd love anyone to check out my logs and give any input as to where I could improve.  Looking forward to learning along with everyone else!
2011-03-29 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3419217

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-29 6:50 AM Good morning!  New to this thread, hoping to spend some time checking out everybody's logs.  My first HIM will be IM Boise 70.3 on June 11.  I have been training since Jan 1 and loving every minute.  Longest swim up to date is 1.5 miles (all swimming is in open water), longest bike 3 hours and longest run 10 miles.  I feel like I'm on track...I'd love anyone to check out my logs and give any input as to where I could improve.  Looking forward to learning along with everyone else!

Quickly checked out your logs - doesn't look like you are following the Beginner HIM Plan.  Is that correct?  Are you logging ALL your workouts as well?

2011-03-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3419235

User image

Elite
JoePetto - 2011-03-29 7:06 AM

ingleshteechur - 2011-03-29 6:50 AM Good morning!  New to this thread, hoping to spend some time checking out everybody's logs.  My first HIM will be IM Boise 70.3 on June 11.  I have been training since Jan 1 and loving every minute.  Longest swim up to date is 1.5 miles (all swimming is in open water), longest bike 3 hours and longest run 10 miles.  I feel like I'm on track...I'd love anyone to check out my logs and give any input as to where I could improve.  Looking forward to learning along with everyone else!

Quickly checked out your logs - doesn't look like you are following the Beginner HIM Plan.  Is that correct?  Are you logging ALL your workouts as well?

Thanks for checking out my logs!  I have logged all workouts since Jan 1.  I'm following a custom Beginner Plan...4 days bike, 4 days run, should be two days swim but because of where I live I can only get to my lake on Sundays.  One off day a week.  You can check out my monthly totals.  Does it look like I'm not getting enough training hours in?

2011-03-29 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3419444

Expert
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-29 9:00 AM
JoePetto - 2011-03-29 7:06 AM

Thanks for checking out my logs!  I have logged all workouts since Jan 1.  I'm following a custom Beginner Plan...4 days bike, 4 days run, should be two days swim but because of where I live I can only get to my lake on Sundays.  One off day a week.  You can check out my monthly totals.  Does it look like I'm not getting enough training hours in?

Your monthly minutes seem great but its hard to know without distances.  That being said, your volumes look good.  I think you're getting enough training in but should be trying to get as much outdoors in as you can especially as it warms up.  Try to start really tracking the miles.

2011-03-29 10:01 AM

User image

Elite

Ok, thanks! I will start tracking miles as well.  I always put my miles in for my bike to calculate average pace but the distance doesn't show anywhere on my log.  Am I missing something when I enter my info?  Definitely can't wait to get outside more!

2011-03-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3419595

Expert
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-29 10:01 AM

Ok, thanks! I will start tracking miles as well.  I always put my miles in for my bike to calculate average pace but the distance doesn't show anywhere on my log.  Am I missing something when I enter my info?  Definitely can't wait to get outside more!

Yes, there's something you must be missing.  Perhaps you're entering it on an iphone or something (that happened to me when I did).  On some I'm seeing your average pace, on others not.  You should have time, pace, and distance all entered.  You can look at my logs to see what I mean.  Not that mine are anything exemplary,  but it's helpful to have distances is all I'm saying.  

What I do is usually import from my garmin, but when I don't, I input the time, then the distance, hit calc for the pace, then enter any comments and save the changes.  The results have always been pretty clean.  Good luck, and we're happy to have you! Welcome!

2011-03-29 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-29 6:50 AM

Good morning!  New to this thread, hoping to spend some time checking out everybody's logs.  My first HIM will be IM Boise 70.3 on June 11.  I have been training since Jan 1 and loving every minute.  Longest swim up to date is 1.5 miles (all swimming is in open water), longest bike 3 hours and longest run 10 miles.  I feel like I'm on track...I'd love anyone to check out my logs and give any input as to where I could improve.  Looking forward to learning along with everyone else!

Welcome to the thread Kim. It looks like you are getting in plenty of volume from what I see in your logs. Lots of bike time which is critical.

I did Boise 70.3 a couple of years ago and it was one of the best experiences of my athletic life. Great venue, great crowd support, well organized. The shuttling up to the swim area was kind of a pain and the lake can get a bit choppy if windy. But all in all a great course. You'll have fun with it.
2011-03-29 2:40 PM

User image

Bronze member

Welcome to the thread! Your training looks great to me but I know nothing My race is also in June and I've been following the BT plan as closely as possible. My longest bike rides have been 2 hours and longest runs 1.5 hours. Sounds like your doing great.

Swim focus week for me. I'm trying to cram all the swims into 4 days to limit my time driving to the pool. Today I combined 2 workouts and did not really pay attention very closely. Well, I combined two sprint workouts - the 9 x 100 and 16 x 50. The total distance was not bad but I feel like I'm still trying to catch my breath LOL!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150