2011-09-27 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3701503

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Exhaustion
older2533 - 2011-09-26 10:23 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-26 10:02 PM Chris,

As you probably know the registration for the 2012 Boston Marathon is closed. The standard (minimum to submit an application) for your AG was 3:35'00, however the slowest slot was allocated to 3:33'46" (then again, for your AG). I don't want to whip out the old crystal ball again but I'm pretty sure you can beat that time with a stick and get your entry for the 2013 Superbowl of runners.

Well, God giveth and God taketh away. (or at least the organization that runs the Boston Marathon giveth and taketh away). That is, BQ times are not based on the age you are when you run the qualifying race, but the age you are on the date for the race you are qualifying for. I'm 48 now. For the already closed 2012 race, I will be 49, but for the 2013 I will be 50 and I get an extra 5 minutes for being 50. On the other hand, they are lowering all BQ times by 5 minutes between 2012 and 2013. So my official BQ time for 2012 was 3:30 and for 2013 it is still 3:30 since the effect of my turning 50 cancels out the effect them tightening the standards. For 2012, before the tightening, you needed to beat your BQ by 1:14 to actually get in. Next year, I'm guessing that simply getting your BQ will do it, since the BQ's for all age groups are lower. So yes, I will be looking at my Garmin and trying to get in by 3:30.
How's the taper madness? Still not there or full blown?

2011-09-27 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3702902

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-09-27 7:55 PM
How's the taper madness? Still not there or full blown?

It's not really there yet, because my plan (Hanson Brothers Marathon plan) does not really have that much of a taper. Sunday was an 8 mile run at 1 minute per mile over marathon pace. Yesterday was 6 easy miles, today 5 easy miles. Wednesday off, Thursday 6 easy miles, Friday 6 easy miles, Saturday 3 easy miles, Sunday RACE.

The idea is that running is a habit. You should still run every day, just not so much. The three the day before is basically to keep you from going crazy.
2011-09-27 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3702912

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-09-27 8:04 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-27 7:55 PM How's the taper madness? Still not there or full blown?
It's not really there yet, because my plan (Hanson Brothers Marathon plan) does not really have that much of a taper. Sunday was an 8 mile run at 1 minute per mile over marathon pace. Yesterday was 6 easy miles, today 5 easy miles. Wednesday off, Thursday 6 easy miles, Friday 6 easy miles, Saturday 3 easy miles, Sunday RACE. The idea is that running is a habit. You should still run every day, just not so much. The three the day before is basically to keep you from going crazy.
Ha! We'll see about that!
2011-09-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
Jackie,

How are you doing?
2011-09-28 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Just caught up on everyone's post over the last few days.  

Jackie, how are you feeling?

Everyone, I see everyone is training hard and really working toward your uncoming races.  I am thinking of you all and wish each one of you the best of luck!!

I finished my Two Week Test as far as omitting the carbs.  The last two days were really tough.  Not because of the want for food but I was so dizzy.  I sometimes get like that if I;m kneeing and stand to fast but this was everytime I stood.  Last night I did have desert with my children.  I had a small piece of cake and a single small scoop of ice cream.  After I ate it though, I wished I hadn't.  It was as though I lost the taste for it.  I have been keeping up with all aspects of training and I am still having breakthoughs in my swim.  My stroke builder paddles should be here tomorrow and I can work on strength.  

This mornings run was interesting.  I think I would have had a much lower heart rate but when I turned onto the trail I heard the coyotes start pinging.  I normally see Scott light in the distance and I didn't.  I turned off and found myself on the wrong service road and still too close to the sounds.  Heading home I was faced with a strong wind off the mountain.  (but it was nice heading down).  

Ernesto--Can you look over the last 2 weeks of workouts and see what you think?  I know its tough because of the hills and altitude conditioning.  Thank you

2011-09-28 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3703624

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-09-28 10:53 AM

Just caught up on everyone's post over the last few days.  

Jackie, how are you feeling?

Everyone, I see everyone is training hard and really working toward your uncoming races.  I am thinking of you all and wish each one of you the best of luck!!

I finished my Two Week Test as far as omitting the carbs.  The last two days were really tough.  Not because of the want for food but I was so dizzy.  I sometimes get like that if I;m kneeing and stand to fast but this was everytime I stood.  Last night I did have desert with my children.  I had a small piece of cake and a single small scoop of ice cream.  After I ate it though, I wished I hadn't.  It was as though I lost the taste for it.  I have been keeping up with all aspects of training and I am still having breakthoughs in my swim.  My stroke builder paddles should be here tomorrow and I can work on strength.  

This mornings run was interesting.  I think I would have had a much lower heart rate but when I turned onto the trail I heard the coyotes start pinging.  I normally see Scott light in the distance and I didn't.  I turned off and found myself on the wrong service road and still too close to the sounds.  Heading home I was faced with a strong wind off the mountain.  (but it was nice heading down).  

Ernesto--Can you look over the last 2 weeks of workouts and see what you think?  I know its tough because of the hills and altitude conditioning.  Thank you

Jen,

The first thing I noticed is that you don't ride outdoors anymore. Why? The hilly environment will make you tough as nails on the bike. You should really take advantage of this. It is actually the reason for many triathletes to move to Colorado...

Another thing is that you seem not to have a schedule or pattern, and I know how hard it can be (I can't keep one myself), but maybe try some sort of routine that is easy to accomplish, and then buid more on it if you feel fresh and have the time to do so.

Swim is improving, try to make the sessions longer now, maybe 2K per session.

Have you found a track yet?

2011-09-28 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ernesto, hope to finally get to meet you at the US Open.  No disco disguises this time, and Jackie can point you out .

2011-09-28 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3703956

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

My schedule changed but it is as follows:

Monday-AM Cycle (spinerval recovery or technique builder)

Tuesday-Swim   ( want to add a second here possibly)

Wednesday-AM Run and PM Cycle (outdoors)

Thursday- AM Run(5:00)  then swim (9:00am)

Friday- Off

Saturday - Long Bike (outdoors)

Sunday- Long Run (1.2-1.5hrs) trail

I haven't been outdoors on the bike because of my sons football schedule.  It had made it difficult.  the last few Sat we couldn't ride outdoors because of Air Force home football games.  then my son's and husbands birthday.  I wanted to at least get time in the saddle so I opted so spinervals.  I do want you to know that I have decent resistance on the trainer so I have really been feeling the weakness in my legs esp on the harder gears.  I will add a Friday activity when we kick off our challenge.  Any suggestions on what I should add.  There is a trail here I was thinking of walk/running.... It is 1.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1900 ft!!  

As for swimming, I go tomorrow will add another 200-300 yards and build from there.

Yes I found a track.  I hadn't been because I wanted my husband to run with me.  I can only use it Sat or Sunday mornings.  I think my training is at the point that I need to do what I need to do for myself.  The 10k in April is up hill with a 5% grade from mile marker 1 to 3.  Last year I completed it in 56minutes I would LOVE to be under 50minutes.  The Boulder Half IM is in August so I am still building to be able to train for that.  I am looking for am easy 5-10k now just to feel a race again, but with Justin's games it's tough. 

2011-09-28 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Sorry for all the grammatical errors in that.  I was typing fast..

: )

2011-09-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3704030

User image

Master
Dallas
squirt - 2011-09-28 2:22 PM

Hey Ernesto, hope to finally get to meet you at the US Open.  No disco disguises this time, and Jackie can point you out .

Looking forward to meet you too, not looking forward to race. I'm terribly out of shape, I've been thinking about letting this one go... I don't know. I do know I'll be there even if not racing.
2011-09-28 3:49 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Busy time.

We have Ernesto, Jackie, Carol and me all with A-races on Sunday (ok, maybe not an A-race for Ernesto), and Gabe doing an A-race next weekend? Wow. Am I missing anyone?

2011-09-28 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3704148

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I wish you all the best of luck and I will be thinking of you guys!!!
2011-09-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3704148

User image

Expert
Guatemala

older2533 - 2011-09-28 2:49 PM Busy time. We have Ernesto, Jackie, Carol and me all with A-races on Sunday (ok, maybe not an A-race for Ernesto), and Gabe doing an A-race next weekend? Wow. Am I missing anyone?

Hey Chris, Jackie, Carol and Ernesto, best of luck on your races this weekend!  

Chris, you have trained very hard and I believe you have the level and ability to achieve your BQ goal!  So now, like Ernesto likes to say, it comes down to executing properly your race pace and nutrition plan.  Best of luck amigo, have fun and let us know how it goes!

Ernesto, I hope you do the race and have some fun while at it!  I bet you being out of shape can still kick our behinds any time, even if we are in great shape! 

2011-09-28 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Chris and Jen,

Thanks for asking.  I'm honestly still feeling like crap.  So I am eating and resting and trying not to stress about it.  I had routine labwork done and it just happened to come back this week.  Everything looks great, so no medical issues.

Good luck everyone this weekend.  Ernesto do the race and call it "training".

Jen, congrats on finishing the two-week test.  Yes, I remember it being brutal for me too.  But, it's so worth it.

2011-09-28 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3704223

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-09-28 5:13 PM

Chris and Jen,

Thanks for asking.  I'm honestly still feeling like crap.  So I am eating and resting and trying not to stress about it.  I had routine labwork done and it just happened to come back this week.  Everything looks great, so no medical issues.

Good luck everyone this weekend.  Ernesto do the race and call it "training".

Jen, congrats on finishing the two-week test.  Yes, I remember it being brutal for me too.  But, it's so worth it.

I hope it is not some acute fatigue. We'll see in a couple of days.
2011-09-28 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Well, I discovered I suck at following my own advice. I've been preaching the Maffettone method for so long and trained so much based on it. But after Ironman Texas I really slacked off on the nutrition side. So much, that I have gained 5 juicy pounds of fat, and lost lots of fitness.

This week, tired of seeing myself balloon week after week, I decided to do the two week test myself, started Monday and had to leave it today until after Sunday (if I race) because I simply felt exhausted. I came to the conclusion that my body has completely stopped using fat for fuel (only storing it) and I became carb dependent for energy. Just to test my theory, this morning I did track with no sugars in my system, the workout was HORRIBLE. In the same day but later, and after a small carbo load, I went to do bike intervals with the team and crushed it.

So, I will start my base again. I have an incredibly good cardiovascular fitness (the only thing that remains) since my resting HR in the morning is still low (around 42/44), and my high numbers are still no more than 170BPM at full steam.

But my muscles are probably underdeveloped on slow twitch fibers, hyperdeveloped fast twitch (I have HUGE thighs now).

Time to reboot the system. I hope you use my (bad) example as a deterrent if you start deviating from the track...

2011-09-29 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Best of luck to everyone this weekend! Some pretty key races coming up.

@Jackie a special good luck to you. I hope you feel better in time enough to crush your goal. i don't remember reading in some of your blogs but might you have allergies? I know, for me, especially this time of year no matter what shape I'm in I experience almost the exact same symptoms due to seasonal allergies.

2011-09-29 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Ernesto, yes hope you will come out to play regardless of your conditioning!  Feel free to join Jackie, me, and another friend (Becky) at the back of the pack, though I don't think you've slipped that far.  Jackie, your guest room awaits, and we will have fun regardless.  I seem to have bounced back from my fatigue from earlier in the week, but I'm all about going to bed early!  Hard to party too much when you fall asleep at 8 pm.

Good luck to everyone else who is racing, training, or resting this weekend....aka everyone.

2011-09-29 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Jackie, Barry may be right. With all the bush fires in the Austin area the levels of allergens are through the roof, and air quality is very poor (it even affected us 220 miles North).

I got a shot of decadron three weeks ago (I suffer seasonal allergies) and felt great after only twenty minutes.

Maybe time to see the Doc?

2011-09-29 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3702912

User image

Master

older2533 - 2011-09-27 8:04 PM
ernestov - 2011-09-27 7:55 PM How's the taper madness? Still not there or full blown?
It's not really there yet, because my plan (Hanson Brothers Marathon plan) does not really have that much of a taper. Sunday was an 8 mile run at 1 minute per mile over marathon pace. Yesterday was 6 easy miles, today 5 easy miles. Wednesday off, Thursday 6 easy miles, Friday 6 easy miles, Saturday 3 easy miles, Sunday RACE. The idea is that running is a habit. You should still run every day, just not so much. The three the day before is basically to keep you from going crazy.

I forgot you were doing the Hanson's plan.  I would love your thoughts on it...I actually bought my first pair of running shoes at their store near where I live.  They have training runs that go along with their plans in various areas around where I live making it an attractive plan possible when I take he plunge on my first full (maybe next fall?).

2011-09-29 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ernesto and Gang-

Thank you for being so candid with what you go through.  I know that it helps me to know that we are all human and have daily struggles.  I love and embrace my lifestyle but some days it is difficult to be motivated and it's tough to fight the urge to eat whatever I want.  Knowing that others go through the same things helps me reach deep inside.  I want to race and compete.  To not only do triathlons and other endurance races but live my life as an athlete.  On days that I really want to curl up on the couch I ask "how bad do you want it".  I look over the posts on this forum and see all of you training. I see your breakthroughs and accomplishments as well as the not so great days. It helps inspire me and I just wanted to thank you all for everything!

Jen

2011-09-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3704969

User image

Master
jenputnam - 2011-09-29 9:59 AM

Ernesto and Gang-

Thank you for being so candid with what you go through.  I know that it helps me to know that we are all human and have daily struggles.  I love and embrace my lifestyle but some days it is difficult to be motivated and it's tough to fight the urge to eat whatever I want.  Knowing that others go through the same things helps me reach deep inside.  I want to race and compete.  To not only do triathlons and other endurance races but live my life as an athlete.  On days that I really want to curl up on the couch I ask "how bad do you want it".  I look over the posts on this forum and see all of you training. I see your breakthroughs and accomplishments as well as the not so great days. It helps inspire me and I just wanted to thank you all for everything!

Jen

Jen:

I share your sentiments and struggles.  With a full time job, wife & kids, and all of lifes activities that go along with everything it can be a real struggle to get up and out that door to work out.  It can be equally hard to eat healthy.  Nice to know there are others we can share the experience with and give us feedback, etc. when necessary.  Thanks Team!

-Mitch

2011-09-29 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3704779

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-09-29 8:21 AM

I forgot you were doing the Hanson's plan.  I would love your thoughts on it...I actually bought my first pair of running shoes at their store near where I live.  They have training runs that go along with their plans in various areas around where I live making it an attractive plan possible when I take he plunge on my first full (maybe next fall?).

Mitch, I'll give you my thoughts on the Hanson plan after the race!

Ernesto, I'm up about 5 pounds of fat as well. Actually not sure, since I'm afraid to look at the scale lately, but that was where I was the last time I checked and that was while running my highest miles. I think I'm proving that it is possible to out eat your runs, and I've been anything but a good boy when it comes to my paleo diet.

I think the mind games we play with ourselves are pretty complicated. If I run ten miles I say to myself "I ran ten miles. I can have this slice of pizza" (or three slices, or beer, or three beers).

I think maybe the difficulty is that while there is a lot you can do to change your level of fitness three months or a year from today, there is basically nothing you can do to appreciably change your level of fitness tomorrow or even next week. If you are fat and out of shape today, no matter what you do, you will be fat and out of shape tomorrow and next week, and if you are fit today, no matter what you do you will be fit tomorrow and next week. So you might as well eat the pizza and not exercise, because pizza tastes good and exercise can hurt.

My only solution to this has been to try to turn good eating and exercising into a habit. You do it not because you are going to affect your level of fitness this week or next (because you aren't ), but because you don't want to fall out of the habit. I've been less successful recently on the diet front.

I did have a bit of a success this morning. I had my Garmin on while waiting with my second grader for her school bus. My heart rate while standing there fluctuated between 48 and 52 bpms. Last spring it would have been about 62 to 65.

Edited by older2533 2011-09-29 2:42 PM
2011-09-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3705515

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

older2533 - 2011-09-29 2:41 PM

My only solution to this has been to try to turn good eating and exercising into a habit. You do it not because you are going to affect your level of fitness this week or next (because you aren't ), but because you don't want to fall out of the habit. 

Chris, my thoughts exactly!

Edited by markz 2011-09-29 4:16 PM
2011-09-30 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Good luck to all our racers this weekend!  Can't wait to read the reports on Monday!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84