BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-02-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
Warren/Jonathan: I just caught the weather report...HOLY COW... You guys are in for something! Hopefully they are exaggerating what is coming your way. Take care and stock up well! I think I would skip the run though in the middle of a blizzard, sounds like a good way to get lost!

2013-02-07 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4613479

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
wbayek - 2013-02-07 6:27 PM
DirkP - 2013-02-07 6:12 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-02-07 9:07 AM

I really do appreciate this point. Just this morning I had two folks tell me that they just can't recover the way they used to and it's because they are getting older. They are both in their early 40's and one didn't get active until her late 30's. I asked her if she ever pushed her body like this in her early 20's or early 30's - her reply was no. I couldn't help but pass this infomration along to her.

Umm?  Excuse me!  And what is wrong with being in your early 40's?  I am not old!  Warren and Jeff are old.  Very old!  I am quite young at 43. 

I can't really say if I recover any better now or at a younger age because I didn't beat myself up like I do now.  When I was in my late 20's and early 30's I power lifted but I don't think I trashed myself the way I do today.

I'll take old, but not very old!  It's the miles anyway.  I can say that I pushed myself in my earlier years.  In college I would play hockey 2-4 hours a day, including getting hit and hitting people, lived on a diet of Cap'n crunch, PB&J sandwiches and Kraft's mac and cheese, drank bad keg beer, slept 5 hours a night, and felt fine and could do it every day for months on end.  And I somehow even managed to graduate with a  computer science degree, a pretty high GPA and two minors!

In all seriousness, I think I don't push myself anywhere near as hard as I could and I'm pretty certain I could recover from a lot more work than I currently do.  There are a lot of reasons for that, the least noble of which is I leave myself an out if I don't train to the max.  There's some free 50 cent amateur psychology for ya!

Another thing the master runner said was that the master runner just can't make the same mistakes you can make when you are younger.  Luckily, we are wiser.

Umm, nothing is wrong and 40's is not old. Those were their words. I wanted to show them the IM Kona stats and the ages of those amazing athletes. Honestly, I think these folks said this to me cause they think I am crazy for doing s/b/r all the time. It is as if they are giving me reasons why they could never attempt a triathlon when I haven't suggested they give it a tri.

This ever happened to you?>

2013-02-07 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4613637

User image

NH
jenbmosley - 2013-02-07 9:19 PM

Umm, nothing is wrong and 40's is not old. Those were their words. I wanted to show them the IM Kona stats and the ages of those amazing athletes. Honestly, I think these folks said this to me cause they think I am crazy for doing s/b/r all the time. It is as if they are giving me reasons why they could never attempt a triathlon when I haven't suggested they give it a tri.

No worries Jen, we're a thick skinned crowd!  And I'm 50 (only about a week from 51), so I agree, 40's is YOUNG!  But you are crazy for doing s/b/r all the time, if crazy means abnormal.  We are a different breed.  Not many 50 year olds I know do a 65 mile ride to start their weekend all summer.

And sure, when people hear I do triathlons, particularly those my age, many offer me their reasons why they could never do this.  And they are probably right, because the main thing you need to do this sport is just the decision that you are going to do it.

2013-02-07 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Karl, I hope you feel better soon.
So is missed the storm in Wisconsin apparently they had to close the salon early from the snow wish I was there but here I am in Virginia I don't think they are supposed to get to much here but am not sure the Bon Jovi concert is Sunday i wasn't able to get a workout in today but we are heading to my nieces gym tomorrow for a swim and bike.
2013-02-07 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
The snow totals keep going up. Right now they are predicting 16 to 20 inches for my area however that may seem like a dusting compared to what Warren and Jonathan may be getting. All I know is everytime I see a weather report the potential snow totals keep going up.
2013-02-08 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I hope the snow is lighter than planned.  Good luck to all of ya'll who may get the snow.

Jen, I'm 51 and just starting, I know I can't compete w/ the 30 or even 40 year old folks or  even some of the 60 and 70 year olds who have been doing this a long time.  I saw a 72 year old finish !MFL in I think a little over 9 hours, could have been 10 but I thought he was about 60 until I saw his leg marking.  Yea we have people tell us all the time I couldn't do that..and you know they are right, they can't with that attitude.  That is why they made golf...lol

This cold will not let go...ggrrrll  another day w/ no workout... 

2013-02-08 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4613637

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I hope you understood that I was kidding.  Like Warren said, we are pretty thick skinned around here and many of us that have been together for a few years make common "junior high" gestures back and forth.  I certainly didn't take your comment personally at all.  I laughed and thought I would make a smart comment about old age.

I do get the "You're crazy for doing that" speech fairly routinely.  The church I used to go to provided a lot of personal humiliation for me on a regular basis.  Whenever I race and post results to FB, I would go to church the next time and get comments from the guy that did announcements about how crazy I am.  I took all of it in stride and we had a lot of fun with it. 

We even had a push up challenge that if the Steelers lost to the Packers I would have to do the point differential in push ups.........on stage........in front of the whole church if the Steelers lost.  It was ugly!!  I had to do something like 30+ push ups.  It was fun.  After I completed the push ups the primary antagonist was somewhat baffled by how quickly I was able to do them and firmly stated that he didn't think he could do that many in an hour.

2013-02-08 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I have a 16 mile run coming this morning and I am somewhat anxious to get it rolling.  I haven't done one of this length in a very long time and I wonder how my foot will respond.  I imagine it will get a little painful in the latter miles but it will be tolerable.  I am getting anxious and very enthusiastic about Boston as each day passes.

I am also beginning to feel like I could begin to place a 5th run in the week too.  I am going to let things settle a bit and determine exactly how my foot responds over the next couple of weeks before adding another run however.  I am not looking to do any more damage, or am I willing to slow the healing process down any more than I have been allowing to occur due to my marathon training. 

Just thinking about Boston stirs me up!

2013-02-08 6:47 AM

User image

Bronze member
Wow - busy in the group yesterday! I did not have much computer time but I'm getting ready to catch up. Good luck to all the Junkies getting snow. We had a nice break from the weather with a lovely 60 degree day yesterday!
2013-02-08 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4612618

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-02-07 9:25 AM
trigal38 - 2013-02-06 8:20 PM

Tri Indy is a no go for me and I'm one of the close Junkies! We have a family reunion in St. Lou that weekend and my mother told me about in December so I can't use the old "Oops I already have a race scheduled" excuse . Actually I really like my family and missed seeing all my cousins and their kids during the holidays (we used to all get together every Christmas) so I really don't want to miss this.

I can see a lot of ways to 'help' you here.  Tell me the venue and I'll come up with a way to get the party bumped....I'll be the secret service calling on behalf of the President..something about him wanting to stay there...  Or something about that family reunion...they are crazy militia people who are members of a cult and marry their cousins and are plotting to attack churches.... 

No training for me. Gracie and I went to the city to visit my sister and the new baby. First time we got to see her in person. I know all babies are tiny but at barely 5 lbs Violet is the tiniest baby I have ever seen! I was afraid to hold her!

You should have run to the city to see your sister and baby.    Just kidding.  Hey, I was a 5lb baby.  I was premature.  Or it was the pack a day smoking my Mom did...

Speaking of Patience, I tweaked my knee on Sunday when I decided it was a good idea to do my longest run in over a year on a concrete multipurpose path that is almost entirely hills then spend an hour on my knees cleaning my floors. I'm smart like that. Now I have a lovely stabbing pain in the center of my knee. The good news is my feet held up well!

Sounds like an irritation/inflammation under the kneecap.  I have the same thing right now (mild).  Running down hills is especially hard in this regard.  If you have more hilly runs coming up in the near future, turn around and run backwards down the hills.

Next time you need to clean the floors like that, can you do it standing? 

My knee is feeling much better. I did a short (2 mile) run on the treadmill yesterday and it held up well! The only time it bothered me much was when I played Duck, Duck, Goose with the kids in my Toddler Gym class. All of that hopping up from the floor and running around in a circle . I don't have to do any more hill runs at all for a while!

And I think I found the perfect excuse of why I can't clean the floors - it hurts my knees!

I am really disappointed about the race and the reunion . I never have anything going on so it just figures there are 2 fun things on the same day.

2013-02-08 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4612627

User image

Bronze member
wbayek - 2013-02-07 9:30 AM
JeffY - 2013-02-07 10:25 AM

No training for me. Gracie and I went to the city to visit my sister and the new baby. First time we got to see her in person. I know all babies are tiny but at barely 5 lbs Violet is the tiniest baby I have ever seen! I was afraid to hold her!

You should have run to the city to see your sister and baby.    Just kidding.  Hey, I was a 5lb baby.  I was premature.  Or it was the pack a day smoking my Mom did...

Wow, there's hope for me - I have something in common with Jeff!  I was a super premie, and back in the day when the medical technology wasn't as good at rescuing babies born so early.  I was just under 2 pounds, and they told my mom to enjoy me as the doctors were pretty certain I wouldn't make it.  I think I'm her favorite of the 6 of us to this day due to that bond.

Thanks for sharing - go figure you 2 were such tiny babies! Warren that just got me all choked up.

2013-02-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4612873

User image

Bronze member
RunningYogini - 2013-02-07 11:14 AM
wbayek - 2013-02-07 7:30 AM
JeffY - 2013-02-07 10:25 AM

Wow, there's hope for me - I have something in common with Jeff!  I was a super premie, and back in the day when the medical technology wasn't as good at rescuing babies born so early.  I was just under 2 pounds, and they told my mom to enjoy me as the doctors were pretty certain I wouldn't make it.  I think I'm her favorite of the 6 of us to this day due to that bond.

Whoa!  2 pounds!  How early were you!

Lots of tiny baby talk here.  My son was a moose at a little over 9 pounds!  Natural birth.  No meds.  Five hour labor.  Yep!  I'm a tough one! Tongue out

You got that right! Holy Moly - 9lbs!

2013-02-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4613257

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2013-02-07 2:44 PM
KWDreamun - 2013-02-07 1:21 PM

David and Tony, sorry ya'll have not swim and i haven't either and it looks like next week  is out too.

Jeff, when I USED to go to the gym and work legs...oh I miss the days..... anyway I would do leg extensions every leg say but I would also add that when you are doing them do a set with toes pointed out as the video shows then do a set with the toes pointed towards eatch other at about  45 degree point the another set with the toes pointed out.  i would do 2 sets each for a total of 6.  Also I would never go heavy and keep the weight very controlled, not bouncing at the bottom and if you are feeling really strong, stop and flex it at the top for a count of 2. ..lol Ya'll please do not do sets of 4 or 6 reps...

Karl, I think you meant up, out, in?

For DINA only, just do them with the toes pointed out slightly...that direction focuses more on the VMO muscle.  Don't do toes in for now because you don't need your VLO even stronger at this point or it will continue to pull the kneecap that way.

For everyone not feeling 'runners knee' at this point, do all those directions.

Thanks for this and I had just started leg extensions a couple of weeks ago. Just once a week but I was thinking maybe they contributed to my knee pain. I'll just lay it out there - I'm not very strong. 40 lbs on the machine working both legs at the same time and it feels like it strains my knees. So yes I'll take any advice you've got!

2013-02-08 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Dirk, good luck and be careful with your run and foot

Dina, hope your knee continues to get better. Also don't worry about the weight on the extensions, all machines I've found are different.  machines where weight are added are usyally harder than the one where you pull a pin out and just stick in in at another weight.  It also makes a huge difference in your leg placement.  Make sure your padded area is at your ankle and not on your toes and also use good form.  I still see guys every day saying they are benching X weight when they are barely getting the bar off the rack and going down 2 inches and the same for squats...so weight is all relative, use good form, make sure it fits and get plenty of reps to get the blood into the muscles so they can grow.

Here is an interesting article about colds... especially about putting peroxide in your ear...  now can I say I've seen it all?  lol

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/22/the-common-cold-simple-strategies-for-prevention-and-treatment.aspx

2013-02-08 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4613885

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
KWDreamun - 2013-02-08 6:47 AM

I hope the snow is lighter than planned.  Good luck to all of ya'll who may get the snow.

Jen, I'm 51 and just starting, I know I can't compete w/ the 30 or even 40 year old folks or  even some of the 60 and 70 year olds who have been doing this a long time.  I saw a 72 year old finish !MFL in I think a little over 9 hours, could have been 10 but I thought he was about 60 until I saw his leg marking.  Yea we have people tell us all the time I couldn't do that..and you know they are right, they can't with that attitude.  That is why they made golf...lol

This cold will not let go...ggrrrll  another day w/ no workout... 

LOL. The first triathlon I did, I got behind a lady hauling booty on the bike - she was 56. She was killing it and I spent the whole time trying to catch her. The funniest part was when she passed those young fellas in their 20s and would slow down, smile at them like she was on Sunday ride and ask them how they were doing and remind them to drink water. Then, she would kick it up a notch and take off. It was awesome! I never did catch her on the bike and I averaged 18+ mph. I did pass her on the run. The oldest lady in my first tri was 72. I hope I am still doing this at 72!

It is a new experience for me when people hear that I am doing triathlons. I've definitely been given that look like I am crazy and then they start telling me how busy they are and why they don't have time or couldn't do one. Yes, they are giving me excuses and I haven't even told them that they should give it a tri. Then, there are folks that think it's pretty awesome and want to know all about it and tell me what scares them the most.  

2013-02-08 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4613913

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-02-08 7:25 AM

I hope you understood that I was kidding.  Like Warren said, we are pretty thick skinned around here and many of us that have been together for a few years make common "junior high" gestures back and forth.  I certainly didn't take your comment personally at all.  I laughed and thought I would make a smart comment about old age.

I do get the "You're crazy for doing that" speech fairly routinely.  The church I used to go to provided a lot of personal humiliation for me on a regular basis.  Whenever I race and post results to FB, I would go to church the next time and get comments from the guy that did announcements about how crazy I am.  I took all of it in stride and we had a lot of fun with it. 

We even had a push up challenge that if the Steelers lost to the Packers I would have to do the point differential in push ups.........on stage........in front of the whole church if the Steelers lost.  It was ugly!!  I had to do something like 30+ push ups.  It was fun.  After I completed the push ups the primary antagonist was somewhat baffled by how quickly I was able to do them and firmly stated that he didn't think he could do that many in an hour.

Yes and no. I knew you were kidding, kind of. At least you didn't have to plank it through an entire sermon!

2013-02-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4613920

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2013-02-08 6:35 AM

I have a 16 mile run coming this morning and I am somewhat anxious to get it rolling.  I haven't done one of this length in a very long time and I wonder how my foot will respond.  I imagine it will get a little painful in the latter miles but it will be tolerable.  I am getting anxious and very enthusiastic about Boston as each day passes.

I am also beginning to feel like I could begin to place a 5th run in the week too.  I am going to let things settle a bit and determine exactly how my foot responds over the next couple of weeks before adding another run however.  I am not looking to do any more damage, or am I willing to slow the healing process down any more than I have been allowing to occur due to my marathon training. 

Just thinking about Boston stirs me up!

Hope your run goes well!

2013-02-08 9:57 AM

User image

NH

I'm getting ready for the storm, though it's barely flurries at this point.  I'll post some before and after pictures when it's over, probably on Sunday.  My plan is to run today at lunch and also tomorrow in the AM during the blizzard.  I'll sat out if it if the wind is dangerous, but it's looking like it will be doable.

Thanks for the leg extension discussion.  I often wonder if it's ok to work legs while still maintaining a pretty intense bike regiment.  My legs tend to blow up when I lift, so I don't really do any weight training for my legs, though I do some for buttocks/hip/core.  What think the weight lifters about not doing any leg workouts?

9 pounds!  I can't even fathom how that gets done.  Kathy worked for 20 hours before our first just wouldn't come out, so she finally had a c-section, much against her wishes.  For the record, I was 10 weeks early.  I sometimes wonder if my lung capacity would be higher had I stuck around - I know the lungs are the last to develop and the use of steroids to accelerate lung maturity wasn't used until the 70s I believe.

2013-02-08 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4613963

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2013-02-08 7:07 AM

Thanks for this and I had just started leg extensions a couple of weeks ago. Just once a week but I was thinking maybe they contributed to my knee pain. I'll just lay it out there - I'm not very strong. 40 lbs on the machine working both legs at the same time and it feels like it strains my knees. So yes I'll take any advice you've got!

Dina, I'm glad you mentioned this.  If you put 40 lbs on and do a set, how many reps can you get?  If the number is well over 10 and if what stops you is a burning in the muscles (rather than just running out of strength) then it's probably a good weight for you. 

So rather than dealing with the knee strain by going lighter, I suggest you deal with it by changing the machine's range of motion.  Only the most antiquated machines lack the ability to change the range of motion.  Next time you do this, try starting the 'lift' with your knee at a 45 degree angle and lifting to straight.    That will do a lot to lessen the strain on the knee.

It IS true that sometimes when people are already suffering from runner's knee that the leg extension movement can be irritating if it's done with a full range of motion.  If 45 degrees seems to be a bother also, then go as short as you need to.  you may get to the point you are lifting weight for an inch before your leg is straight.  That makes it an isometric exercise and that's fine too....in this case you would lift and hold continuously for however many seconds.

2013-02-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4613963

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
trigal38 - 2013-02-08 8:07 AM

I'll add a little to Karl's statement as well.

Make sure you isolate each leg.  Don't try to do leg extensions with both legs.  Your strongest leg will do most of the work and you'll get receive much less of a benefit than if you isolate each one.  The way to go about  this is by figuring out which leg is the weakest and beginning every session with that specific weak side (as with any exercise).  In so doing you will begin to develop the weak side more quickly and allow your stronger side to have a slower progression.  Over time your weaker side will catch up and your muscles will become relatively equal.

And definitely don't worry about the weight.  You're an endurance athlete not a body builder or power lifter.  I have seen many of these types of ladies and I doubt you're interested in looking like many if them do.

2013-02-08 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4614382

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-02-08 11:28 AM

Make sure you isolate each leg.  Don't try to do leg extensions with both legs.  Your strongest leg will do most of the work and you'll get receive much less of a benefit than if you isolate each one.  The way to go about  this is by figuring out which leg is the weakest and beginning every session with that specific weak side (as with any exercise).  In so doing you will begin to develop the weak side more quickly and allow your stronger side to have a slower progression.  Over time your weaker side will catch up and your muscles will become relatively equal.

And definitely don't worry about the weight.  You're an endurance athlete not a body builder or power lifter.  I have seen many of these types of ladies and I doubt you're interested in looking like many if them do.

I would love to look like female power lifter.... you mean to tell me as an endurance athlete that is not consuming 5,000 calories of protein on daily basis is not going to get me there? Darn.

I try to do leg workouts once a week, but usually ends up being every other week. At 5'1" tall, I have very short legs and actually stay away from all leg machines in the gym. I stick to free weights, TRX bands, and Smith Machine for squats. I also use a 8" box/stair and do calf raises with just my weight. Years of skateboarding and snowboarding have left me with a verty strong side and a distinct weak side. I am regular foot (versus goofy) and while snowboarding my left leg never came out of the binding. My right leg clicked out and did all the pushing. I can't help but wonder if this is why my right IT band has issues. Regular/Goofy - I know I am gonna hear some jokes on this one.

No matter how much I run or try to think about it, I always step up curbs with the same foot while running, push off the same foot when picking up speed, and I can feel myself push with the stronger leg when I start bike/run intervals.    

My leg workouts usually consist of:

-One leg lunges w/free weights while keeping a leg elevated on bench

-Sumo squats

-Three way lunge with light weight

-TRX hamstring curls

-3 way calf raises (toes pointed together, away, and straight)

-single leg deadlifts w/kettle ball

2013-02-08 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Dirk - you sure it's a good idea to add a 5th run?  Is it worth the risk?
2013-02-08 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Saw this Garmin 405CX on sale today only for $129... looks like it is refurbished but comes with a 1 yr warranty... not sure if this is a great deal or not... brand new one on amazon is $160 w/ free shipping and maybe no tax depending on where you live.

Garmin watch

2013-02-08 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Warren I'm a BAD person to ask about this but working legs especially in you are in an off season will be good and even in race season if you go light.  But tell me to go work legs would be like telling someone in AA to go buy a sixpack of beer and not drink it.  If i lifted i would do so much I couldn't walk for 4 days but if it is in moderation, it will be good.  you will have to be the judge of that, right now I'm in detox...lol

Really after the injuries I have had, I think it would be good to work minor muscles.  They have me doing leg raises to the side (I refuse to do them in the gym), things called peeing on the fire hydrant and kick back w/ my legs while I'm on my knees

The others on here can chastise me on that...

2013-02-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4614382

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2013-02-08 10:28 AM

This is all very helpful. I have been doing both legs at the same time but wondering exactly what you just mentioned. I already know my weak side is my left. It is very obvious when I do my PT exercises. So now the weight will probably go down to 20 lbsEmbarassed but at least I am trying! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119