BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-09-06 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Race report is ready here. Still very pleased with my personal performance...but that competitive part of me is a little sad at my placing...must silence those inner critics.

My left heel feels bruised - I am hoping that it isn't plantar facitis. Got a quick ocean swim in today (it was COLD!) Going to ride tomorrow morning...just two weeks until the next one.

2010-09-06 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
congrats Jen! 3:09 is right on with your goal. With that much off of the 4:00 goal, I'd say it's a demolishing!!!!

hope the lobster and beer were tastey!
2010-09-07 8:37 AM

User image

NH
Again, awesome race Jennifer.  Don't sweat the placement. 

Someone commented to me that as the races get longer, more of the athletes are doing serious training.  A fair number of people in a sprint are there just to try it out, less so for an Oly, and almost no one just shows up to try out a half or a full.  So compete with your own expectations for now and go for the AG stuff later.

Nothing should take any glow off that race, it was outstanding.
2010-09-08 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Great job Jennifer.  I love the way your self-confidence has grown since the beginning of the season.   Early on you were crushing what you thought you were capable of.  Meaning you were severely underestimating your abilities.  Now it seems like your self appraisal is right on with your ability.  Congratulations on a successful Olympic distance, and congratulations on discovering and knowing what you are capable of doing.  I think you've hit on what this sport is all about.
2010-09-09 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Had a bit of a hiccup thrown into the rest of the season. My father (who lives in Albuquerque) was admitted to the hospital on Sunday with (what turns out to be) a blockage in his small intestine. They are still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong and what they can do to fix it before resorting to surgery...mom isn't coping too well (not surprising) so my sister and I (it's just us two) are going to go out to help...My sister is leaving today (Thursday from the Baltimore area) and staying until Monday, I'll fly out on Monday and stay until next Sunday (then we'll switch off again if they still need help)...but long story (not so) short, I won't be in town for the Lobsterman Oly. (The final race of the season for me is the same weekend as Ray's IM...hopefully, I will get to participate in that)

I am of two minds on this: 1) absolutely the right thing to do...family first, etc...besides, I was starting to get all worked up about the distance/swim/race anyway...now I can take another year to get better trained but 2) I am disappointed. That is my "A" race and I really was feeling confident (especially after last weekend) that I could finish and finish well within my goals. I HATE that I will be a DNS.
2010-09-09 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Absolutely best of luck to Warren chasing his first HIM finish on Sunday. Should be a perfect day weather-wise...he's trained hard and trained consistently - Go Warren! (ok - the pink is for me...but anyway)

2010-09-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3088847

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-09 9:43 AM Had a bit of a hiccup thrown into the rest of the season. My father (who lives in Albuquerque) was admitted to the hospital on Sunday with (what turns out to be) a blockage in his small intestine. They are still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong and what they can do to fix it before resorting to surgery...mom isn't coping too well (not surprising) so my sister and I (it's just us two) are going to go out to help...My sister is leaving today (Thursday from the Baltimore area) and staying until Monday, I'll fly out on Monday and stay until next Sunday (then we'll switch off again if they still need help)...but long story (not so) short, I won't be in town for the Lobsterman Oly. (The final race of the season for me is the same weekend as Ray's IM...hopefully, I will get to participate in that)

I am of two minds on this: 1) absolutely the right thing to do...family first, etc...besides, I was starting to get all worked up about the distance/swim/race anyway...now I can take another year to get better trained but 2) I am disappointed. That is my "A" race and I really was feeling confident (especially after last weekend) that I could finish and finish well within my goals. I HATE that I will be a DNS.

Totally agree on the priorities here.  Don't worry about the DNS, you killed last week's race and there will be more ahead.  Prayers go with you to Alb.  Maybe you can run with Jeremy while you're out there!  I may miss the Mainiac as well for family reasons.

Edited by wbayek 2010-09-09 10:30 AM
2010-09-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3088852

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-09 9:45 AM Absolutely best of luck to Warren chasing his first HIM finish on Sunday. Should be a perfect day weather-wise...he's trained hard and trained consistently - Go Warren! (ok - the pink is for me...but anyway)

Thanks, I'm as ready as I can be.  Nervous and excited, but ready.

I swam a little today and have a plan for the swim since I still cough violently on deep or fast breaths in.  I'm over-rotating and taking a nice casual breath.  It's actually quite comfortable.  It's like total immersion in the sweet spot for those who have even seen those videos.  Biking and running seem fine as long as I remember to use the inhaler.  I guess this is about what people with asthma deal with all the time, so I should be fine and I'm not expecting any real impact at all.

The weather does look pretty good - for me at least - cold for some I suppose.  50 at the start, maybe low 60's by the end, so there should be no overheating.  We may get some rain so that would be fine especially on the run.  As luck would have it we got almost NO rain this whole summer, so I haven't ridden in anything but a passing shower, but my recollection is that rain on the bike isn't a big deal.  I actually love running in light rain or snow, so that would be great for me if it rains a bit.
2010-09-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3089154

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-09-09 11:30 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-09 9:45 AM Absolutely best of luck to Warren chasing his first HIM finish on Sunday. Should be a perfect day weather-wise...he's trained hard and trained consistently - Go Warren! (ok - the pink is for me...but anyway)

Thanks, I'm as ready as I can be.  Nervous and excited, but ready.

I swam a little today and have a plan for the swim since I still cough violently on deep or fast breaths in.  I'm over-rotating and taking a nice casual breath.  It's actually quite comfortable.  It's like total immersion in the sweet spot for those who have even seen those videos.  Biking and running seem fine as long as I remember to use the inhaler.  I guess this is about what people with asthma deal with all the time, so I should be fine and I'm not expecting any real impact at all.

The weather does look pretty good - for me at least - cold for some I suppose.  50 at the start, maybe low 60's by the end, so there should be no overheating.  We may get some rain so that would be fine especially on the run.  As luck would have it we got almost NO rain this whole summer, so I haven't ridden in anything but a passing shower, but my recollection is that rain on the bike isn't a big deal.  I actually love running in light rain or snow, so that would be great for me if it rains a bit.

You will do great. Great weather. I would suggest arm warmers for the bike. Either real ones or cheap socks with the bottom sliced open so that you can just throw them away. Cheap white athletic socks work.

2010-09-10 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3088852

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-08 6:45 PM Absolutely best of luck to Warren chasing his first HIM finish on Sunday. Should be a perfect day weather-wise...he's trained hard and trained consistently - Go Warren! (ok - the pink is for me...but anyway)

Jen,
Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he gets better soon.  I am sure the decision was hard, but you made the right choice.  Everything means nothing without family.

Warren,
Good luck on your first HIM!!  Enjoy it...and
ROCK IT BRO!!
2010-09-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3088847

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-09 9:43 AM Had a bit of a hiccup thrown into the rest of the season. My father (who lives in Albuquerque) was admitted to the hospital on Sunday with (what turns out to be) a blockage in his small intestine. They are still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong and what they can do to fix it before resorting to surgery...mom isn't coping too well (not surprising) so my sister and I (it's just us two) are going to go out to help...My sister is leaving today (Thursday from the Baltimore area) and staying until Monday, I'll fly out on Monday and stay until next Sunday (then we'll switch off again if they still need help)...but long story (not so) short, I won't be in town for the Lobsterman Oly. (The final race of the season for me is the same weekend as Ray's IM...hopefully, I will get to participate in that)

There will always be other races. Making the right decision.

2010-09-12 5:45 PM

User image

NH
I'm a half ironman!  5:53:30 ish, I don't have the exact time but that's close from Zack's finish photo.

It was great meeting Jennifer, we talked before the race and I got to see her waving me in toward the end of the bike.  Overall the race was a blast and I had a ton of fun.

Quick synopsis - swim was incredible (33:30 ish), bike was resting for the run (1:52 ish, 19.6), but I blew up on the run anyway (2:17, with a nice 15 minute med stop)!  I pulled a Matt at mile 10.5 (sorry Matt).  I was going at a nice slow pace since I could tell it wasn't going to be a good run from the get to, and at 10.5 aid station I just dropped.  Really strange.  They were going to DNF me, and I said no way did run all winter in the snow to finish this thing 2 1/2 miles from the end!  I'd walk it in if I had to.  After a few pretzels, a banana, some coke, and some time, I felt fine and they were convinced, so I struggled it in.

Awesome experience, and I can't believe you guys are doing a full!
2010-09-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3094001

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-09-12 5:45 PM I'm a half ironman!  5:53:30 ish, I don't have the exact time but that's close from Zack's finish photo.

It was great meeting Jennifer, we talked before the race and I got to see her waving me in toward the end of the bike.  Overall the race was a blast and I had a ton of fun.

Quick synopsis - swim was incredible (33:30 ish), bike was resting for the run (1:52 ish, 19.6), but I blew up on the run anyway (2:17, with a nice 15 minute med stop)!  I pulled a Matt at mile 10.5 (sorry Matt).  I was going at a nice slow pace since I could tell it wasn't going to be a good run from the get to, and at 10.5 aid station I just dropped.  Really strange.  They were going to DNF me, and I said no way did run all winter in the snow to finish this thing 2 1/2 miles from the end!  I'd walk it in if I had to.  After a few pretzels, a banana, some coke, and some time, I felt fine and they were convinced, so I struggled it in.

HOOOOly Warren, that is not something you were supposed to follow me in doing!!  Glad you are ok and you were able to finish the race, with a great time by the way!!!

GREAT JOB!!!  Take it easy now!
2010-09-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3084277

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-06 8:34 PM Race report is ready here. Still very pleased with my personal performance...but that competitive part of me is a little sad at my placing...must silence those inner critics.

My left heel feels bruised - I am hoping that it isn't plantar facitis. Got a quick ocean swim in today (it was COLD!) Going to ride tomorrow morning...just two weeks until the next one.

Again, great job Jennifer!  And Warren is absolutely right... as the distances get longer, the competition ramps WAY up.  In sprint races, I'm usually in the top 50% of the field; Olympic, usually in the bottom 3rd; In my HIM last year, I was complete back of the pack and I expect that again this weekend. 
2010-09-13 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Awesome job, Warren. Great fortitude sticking it out and finishing it up!
2010-09-13 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-09-12 3:45 AM I'm a half ironman!  5:53:30 ish, I don't have the exact time but that's close from Zack's finish photo.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sorry to hear about the drop, that is scary!!

2010-09-13 3:35 PM

User image

NH
Race report is here.

Edited by wbayek 2010-09-14 9:47 AM
2010-09-13 4:23 PM

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-09-12 6:45 PM I'm a half ironman!  5:53:30 ish, I don't have the exact time but that's close from Zack's finish photo.

Glad you felt better and could finish. Did you feel funny at all prior? lightheaded? crazy tired? cold?

My guess it was low blood sugar. Or dehydration. Any verdict from med personnel? I would be concerned if you felt good and then woke up on the ground. Less concerned if there was some wavering and then you went down.

2010-09-14 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3096241

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-09-13 5:23 PM

wbayek - 2010-09-12 6:45 PM I'm a half ironman!  5:53:30 ish, I don't have the exact http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-post.asp... but that's close from Zack's finish photo.

Glad you felt better and could finish. Did you feel funny at all prior? lightheaded? crazy tired? cold?

My guess it was low blood sugar. Or dehydration. Any verdict from med personnel? I would be concerned if you felt good and then woke up on the ground. Less concerned if there was some wavering and then you went down.

Thanks Aaron.  I definitely felt crazy tired and more and more lightheaded as the day went on.  Based on what I found in transition I did not eat enough calories.  After resting and getting some food in my system, I felt a lot better but still dog tired.  It's still a long day!  Details are in the race report.

Nutrition was one thing I was NOT worried about at all since I had practiced it all summer, and I screwed it up.  And the swim had me totally twisted, and that turned out to be perfect.  Continue to live and learn.

2010-09-14 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Way to stick it out, Warren.  Look on the bright side... you got to sit down and have a 15 minute picnic and still beat my HIM time by 45 minutes!  Just kidding and not to minimize your med-break.  Let's not forget that you had bronchitis going into this race.  If your lungs still had fluid in them, you may not have been getting the oxygen you needed and that caused the light-headedness and the eventual pass-outedness.  Glad it turned out OK and just think how fast your time will be when you race 100% healthy.  You da man!!!
2010-09-14 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
So, here's the plan for my HIM on Sunday...

Take it easy... Finish.

Yup, that's it.  Life kinda got in the way of my training lately and i was only able to complete about 70% of the volume in the plan.  But I'm still feeling strong and ready to race, but don't want to push beyond my conditioning.

The beginning of the bike course is straight uphill for about 9 miles.  So my goal is to basically survive that and get to the flat portion of the course.  The last couple of miles are supposedly fast and furious, so it will be a good chance to rest the legs a little and coast the downhills. 

Then the run is almost completely downhill.  So I'm going to take into account how I feel at the start of the run to see if I'm going to try and run the whole thing, walk the aid stations, or do a run/walk combo.  It's supposed to be a beautiful day, so I'm just going out there and enjoying myself. 

Don't worry... I'm not forgetting that this is a race, but I'm just going to put more focus on staying in the moment, having fun, chatting it up with the other racers, volunteers and spectators, and most of all finishing.

2010-09-14 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
sounds like a great plan, Bill. have fun and enjoy your day, you've earned it!
2010-09-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3098000

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-09-14 1:32 AM Way to stick it out, Warren.  Look on the bright side... you got to sit down and have a 15 minute picnic and still beat my HIM time by 45 minutes! !

Thanks for that - you made me do a spit take! (I was thinking to myself when reading the race report - his HIM run time is only 7 minutes longer than my standalone Half Marathon time....<sigh> including picnic. 
2010-09-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3098030

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-09-14 1:42 AM So, here's the plan for my HIM on Sunday...

Take it easy... Finish.

Yup, that's it.  Life kinda got in the way of my training lately and i was only able to complete about 70% of the volume in the plan.  But I'm still feeling strong and ready to race, but don't want to push beyond my conditioning.

The beginning of the bike course is straight uphill for about 9 miles.  So my goal is to basically survive that and get to the flat portion of the course.  The last couple of miles are supposedly fast and furious, so it will be a good chance to rest the legs a little and coast the downhills. 

Then the run is almost completely downhill.  So I'm going to take into account how I feel at the start of the run to see if I'm going to try and run the whole thing, walk the aid stations, or do a run/walk combo.  It's supposed to be a beautiful day, so I'm just going out there and enjoying myself. 

Don't worry... I'm not forgetting that this is a race, but I'm just going to put more focus on staying in the moment, having fun, chatting it up with the other racers, volunteers and spectators, and most of all finishing.

This sounds like a great plan...you will do very well keeping it all in perspective...and an all downhill run? Fantastic (but watch out for your quads, I know mine really start to hurt after a long downhill pounding.

Best of luck! We'll all be anticipating your finish! 
2010-09-14 4:20 PM

User image

NH
That sounds like a great plan Bill.  Take what the day gives you.  I have a deeper respect for these events now, not that I didn't before.  Stay within yourself and enjoy the day.  70.3 is a loooong way!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76