BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2013-01-30 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4601353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-30 11:22 AM

Jen, glad to hear you received the confirmatory diagnosis and have answers to nagging questions. Just think how much faster you will be now as your body heals Smile

No bike fit today. We got snow here the other day and then it warmed up and rained a little last night. Unbeknownst to me as I drove to the fit at the crack of dawn, that the monster hill that leads to my house was a sheet of ice. I slid off the road and landed in the ditch. It was wild. I could not do a thing and my car missed the telephone pole to the left of the ditch and the downed tree to the right. The wrecker who came to pull me out could barely back up to my car because of the ice but managed to get me out 2 hours later. Someone/thing was looking over me.

Frustrating because I had been looking forward to putting my new seat and seatpost on, as my rides have been uncomfortable and I can't be seen until mid Feb. Also, last night my gears kept slipping - so I was hoping he could fix that as well. Not sure what to do because I am rather ignorant when it comes to fixing bikes.

Rushed to work for an evaluation. The attorney who insisted to be present, however, did not show. So, I had to cancel.

All in all - minor stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Scary!  Glad you are ok!

2013-01-30 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4600859

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
jarvy01 - 2013-01-30 6:40 AM

Hi, group.  

I felt drugged and drowsy after the surgery yesterday so didn't update (sry!).  The endoscopy confirmed Celiac.  There is extensive damage to the duodenum.  I will know more about that after the results of the biopsy come back.  I am so relieved to know what is going on with my body.  This explains so much.  I have been sick and fatigued my entire life with tons of GI distress.  I have been anemic off and on, vitamin d deficient off and on, and I lost half of the enamel on my teeth.  I ate so many wonderful, healthful foods, and my body wasn't absorbing all the good stuff from them.  Anyway, I am hoping that with the dietary changes I will begin to feel strong again.  It makes it a little harder to fuel for athletics, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.  GI doc suggested that I meet with a nutritionist to discuss my diet.  I want to find one who works with athletes.  

I rode for the second time on my new trainer.  Still didn't feel natural  I think I may need to readjust my saddle because it's creating pressure in this one spot and then I get piriformis on that side.   

Glad you found out what was going on.  There is nothing worse then feeling bad and not having an answer.  And better that you can get well through dietary changes.

2013-01-30 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4601538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-30 12:46 PM

In this thread we've sort of skirted around the edges of this topic, but its an important one.  Most athletes are predominantly aerobic or anaerobic.  Aerobic athletes are those who can go forever and ever and but have limited top end speed.  Anaerobic athletes are those you can be fast over short distances but tend to fade quickly over longer distances.  For example and aerobic athlete is one that runs a 5K at 7:45 pace min/mile pace and a half marathon at 8:00 min/mile pace whereas an anaerobic athlete would run the 5K at 6:45 min/mile pace and the half marathon at 8:00 min/mile pace (this is an over simplification but it gives you a general idea).

When designing training plans, you need to train your weakness while maintaining your strengths.  Part of doing this is figuring out what type of athlete you are and then working to address the weakness.  One way you can determine what type of athlete you are is by testing -- things like 200/800 and 3 x 400 or 3 x 800 tests in the pool, 30 min TT, 3min/20 min, 3 x 15 min or 3 x 20 min on the bike and mile repeats, 1600/3200m tests or 3 x 15 min on the run. 

If you are aerobic, you want to look at things like adding speed, stregnth endurance and speed endurance in before volume (essentially a reverse periodization model) in you are anaerobic, you want to add in volume and aerobic conditioning (essentailly a "normal" periodization model).  Interestingly its a lot easier to build endurance with an anaerobic athlete than to build speed with an aerobic athlete. 

Yep!  That's me!

2013-01-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4601935

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-30 6:19 PM

In this thread we've sort of skirted around the edges of this topic, but its an important one.  Most athletes are predominantly aerobic or anaerobic.  Aerobic athletes are those who can go forever and ever and but have limited top end speed.  Anaerobic athletes are those you can be fast over short distances but tend to fade quickly over longer distances.  For example and aerobic athlete is one that runs a 5K at 7:45 pace min/mile pace and a half marathon at 8:00 min/mile pace whereas an anaerobic athlete would run the 5K at 6:45 min/mile pace and the half marathon at 8:00 min/mile pace (this is an over simplification but it gives you a general idea).

When designing training plans, you need to train your weakness while maintaining your strengths.  Part of doing this is figuring out what type of athlete you are and then working to address the weakness.  One way you can determine what type of athlete you are is by testing -- things like 200/800 and 3 x 400 or 3 x 800 tests in the pool, 30 min TT, 3min/20 min, 3 x 15 min or 3 x 20 min on the bike and mile repeats, 1600/3200m tests or 3 x 15 min on the run. 

If you are aerobic, you want to look at things like adding speed, stregnth endurance and speed endurance in before volume (essentially a reverse periodization model) in you are anaerobic, you want to add in volume and aerobic conditioning (essentailly a "normal" periodization model).  Interestingly its a lot easier to build endurance with an anaerobic athlete than to build speed with an aerobic athlete. 

Yep!  That's me!

Me too - as much as I want to be fast...

Very informative post Kelly. Thanks for explaining.

2013-01-30 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Expert
Kelly, thanks for that explanation. That makes complete sense. I need to keep reminding myself it's still January, and I have time to build. I'll continue to ride at lower HR, and not worry about speed so much. Thank you for the continuous reminder. It's so tough to think like that.
2013-01-30 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4601980

User image

Pro
CyFair

rizer22 - 2013-01-30 6:17 PM Kelly, thanks for that explanation. That makes complete sense. I need to keep reminding myself it's still January, and I have time to build. I'll continue to ride at lower HR, and not worry about speed so much. Thank you for the continuous reminder. It's so tough to think like that.

Take it from someone who has been training 90% of the time at a lowish heart rate the speed will still be there.  You just test it time to time to make sure it hasn't diminished.  If it has you change tactics to address it.

2013-01-30 7:47 PM

Scott  - Awesome job on the half marathon!!! I also love the name Quinn.

Jen - Glad you have answers about what's going on with you!

My training is going really well.  For me, consistency has been a huge problem of mine for the past two years, so that I have been running consistently since Thanksgiving is a huge feat for me.  I have made a lot of progress, and I have grown to love running again.  I'm feeling so much stronger, and I never would have believed I would get to this point in November of last year.  I'm really looking forward to racing my first half marathon of the year in March.

Do folks eat or drink anything before bed? If so, what do you have?

2013-01-30 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4602073

User image

Pro
CyFair
trilooney - 2013-01-30 7:47

If I eat anything after dinner it's generally greek yogurt and frozen berries.  Sometimes I find it hard because the pregnant woman in my house has all kinds of goodies around here.  EVIL

2013-01-30 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks Norma - surprisingly it was not that scary...it all happened in slow mo.

I am getting ready for bed. Had a huge sweet potato and am having a good Maine Microbrew.

Swim test tomorrow. Good times.

2013-01-31 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4601959

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
karen26.2 - 2013-01-30 6:50 PM

Yep!  That's me!

Its tough to take someone who is very aerobic and make them fast.  If you have someone who is very anaerobic you just have them do lots of aerobic (fairly easy) running and biking to develop their endurance and durability.  If you have someone who is very aerobic, you still need to do lots of aerobic work but you need to add in intervals above LT, which are hard to do mentally and physically and which run a fairly high chance of injury.  If you have a fragile, aerobic athlete, it can be very tough (but not impossible) to build speed)

I've been exploring "reverse periodization" a lot lately for aerobic athletes.  That is including intense intervals in the early part of the season before adding in volume and then decreasing intensity as volume increases closer to race day.  The goal is to make the body faster while decreasing the risk of injury. 

2013-01-31 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chris- I am so glad you are ok. Sounds awful. Jen- can you link to the bananas in a bag?

2013-01-31 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4601353

User image

Champion
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-30 12:22 PM

Also, last night my gears kept slipping - so I was hoping he could fix that as well. Not sure what to do because I am rather ignorant when it comes to fixing bikes.

When you say that your gears are slipping, I'm assuming that you mean it changes to a different gear soon after you shift.  For example, if you tried to shift to an easier gear and it starts making a sound like the chain isn't meshing properly or, after a few pedal strokes, it just jumps back to the gear you were in before.

If that sounds like the issue, this is a function of your derailleur cable stretching over time and is a relatively simple fix.  Using the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur (where the cable housing attaches), rotate it 1/4 - 1/2 turn in the direction opposite of the jump. 

If you shift up, turn the pedals and the chain jumps down, turn the barrel counter-clockwise.  If you shift down, turn the pedals and the chain jumps up, turn the barrel clockwise.

2013-01-31 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4602109

User image

Extreme Veteran
uhcoog - 2013-01-30 9:15 PM
trilooney - 2013-01-30 7:47

If I eat anything after dinner it's generally greek yogurt and frozen berries.  Sometimes I find it hard because the pregnant woman in my house has all kinds of goodies around here.  EVIL

My new nighttime snack is a huge bowl of frozen grapes (I mean HUGE).  I know I probably shouldn't be eating all that sugar before bed, but I don't care because it's just too delicious.  Sometimes I'll have a handful of walnuts or pecans in addition to the grapes.  

2013-01-31 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4602073

User image

Extreme Veteran
trilooney - 2013-01-30 8:47 PM

My training is going really well.  For me, consistency has been a huge problem of mine for the past two years, so that I have been running consistently since Thanksgiving is a huge feat for me.  I have made a lot of progress, and I have grown to love running again.  I'm feeling so much stronger, and I never would have believed I would get to this point in November of last year.  I'm really looking forward to racing my first half marathon of the year in March.

I'm glad to hear you've found a groove.  It's really hard to find that balance when you're a mother.  You have to carve out this time for yourself (your baby will benefit from this as well because you'll feel better).  I'm happy you've grown to love running again.  Keep up all the hard work!  

2013-01-31 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4602162

User image

Extreme Veteran
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-30 10:04 PM

Thanks Norma - surprisingly it was not that scary...it all happened in slow mo.

I am getting ready for bed. Had a huge sweet potato and am having a good Maine Microbrew.

Swim test tomorrow. Good times.

Good luck with your swim test!!!  

2013-01-31 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4602358

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-31 6:30 AM
karen26.2 - 2013-01-30 6:50 PM

Yep!  That's me!

Its tough to take someone who is very aerobic and make them fast.  If you have someone who is very anaerobic you just have them do lots of aerobic (fairly easy) running and biking to develop their endurance and durability.  If you have someone who is very aerobic, you still need to do lots of aerobic work but you need to add in intervals above LT, which are hard to do mentally and physically and which run a fairly high chance of injury.  If you have a fragile, aerobic athlete, it can be very tough (but not impossible) to build speed)

I've been exploring "reverse periodization" a lot lately for aerobic athletes.  That is including intense intervals in the early part of the season before adding in volume and then decreasing intensity as volume increases closer to race day.  The goal is to make the body faster while decreasing the risk of injury. 

That makes a lot of sense. For an anaerobic athlete - would they see quicker and greater gains when doing the slow & easy workouts. Vs. an aerobic athlete - still should see gains, but minimal and take longer? I'm still trying to figure out why the slow & easy does not produce the same results for me. I'm happy everyone else is getting faster, but I still poking along.

The only time I can say I ever got faster running was when I was only running (probably a lot of miles per week, not sure of the volume), and it was done mostly at a slightly uncomfortable pace. Not unbearable, but I would do runs with a group, and the girl I always ran with was slightly faster than me. She made me faster though over several months. We trained for the SF Women's Nike marathon, which was my marathon PR. And that was on hills!

2013-01-31 6:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I want to order some kind of water bottle holder for between my aero bars.  I don't want a straw poking my eyeballs or a big monstrosity of a bottle.....just a simple bottle that I can whip out and sip.  Suggestions?  I think I want something like you have on your bike, Scott.

Also, I get this painful knot in my left calf when I do runs lasting longer than an hour.  The outside of my knee hurts too.  Then it hurts to walk up and down the stairs for a couple hours.  It goes away as the day goes on.  I also work to massage the calf.  Any ideas what this could be and what I can do to alleviate this pain?  I'm concerned this will be a huge issue during my IM.  

Michele - I will link the Barnanas after I take the kids to the bus!

2013-01-31 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

OK, I stepped on the scale this morning since yesterday completed my Whole30, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I only lost 5.4 pounds. I guess I should be happy I didn't gain or stay the same, but I really was expecting more like 10 - 12 pounds.

I do feel better though, so I'm going to continue on with some exceptions (beer, gum, Gu's, greek yogurt, Probars since I have a slew of them).

Overall I really like this way of eating. It became easier and I got into a routine. Shop on weekend, spend a good part of Sunday's cooking things for the week. Which worked out well since I never know how work is going to go and how late I will get home.

I discovered I LOVE collards. Who would have thought! They are now my favorite veggie - but they have to be cooked for a long time. I also like sweet potatoes now, which I hated before. It was an interesting 30 days.

2013-01-31 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
I don't think I really fit into either category completely but I'm probably more aerobic. I think my biggest weakness is power on hills for both bike and run. Put me on a flat or rolling course and I can go pretty fast for a 5k or 20 minute TT but I can also maintain pretty good on the same course for a HM or HIM. Put me on a hilly course and I'll fall apart faster than the average. It's the truly steep ascents that really crush me.
2013-01-31 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4602417

User image

Extreme Veteran
jarvy01 - 2013-01-31 7:44 AM
trilooney - 2013-01-30 8:47 PM

I'm glad to hear you've found a groove.  It's really hard to find that balance when you're a mother.  You have to carve out this time for yourself (your baby will benefit from this as well because you'll feel better).  I'm happy you've grown to love running again.  Keep up all the hard work!  

X2. Finding your balance when you are a parent is tough. I'm glad you found a routine that works!
2013-01-31 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4602428

User image

Extreme Veteran
karen26.2 - 2013-01-31 7:54 AM

OK, I stepped on the scale this morning since yesterday completed my Whole30, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I only lost 5.4 pounds. I guess I should be happy I didn't gain or stay the same, but I really was expecting more like 10 - 12 pounds.

I do feel better though, so I'm going to continue on with some exceptions (beer, gum, Gu's, greek yogurt, Probars since I have a slew of them).

Overall I really like this way of eating. It became easier and I got into a routine. Shop on weekend, spend a good part of Sunday's cooking things for the week. Which worked out well since I never know how work is going to go and how late I will get home.

I discovered I LOVE collards. Who would have thought! They are now my favorite veggie - but they have to be cooked for a long time. I also like sweet potatoes now, which I hated before. It was an interesting 30 days.

Congrats on the 30 days. I am on day 26. I am guessing I haven't list anything. 5.4 pounds is awesome Karen and more importantly you feel good!!! Keep it up and maybe your loss will speed up.

2013-01-31 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4602428

User image

Expert

Does your body composition feel different though? You could have easily have added muscle or be retaining water.

I didn't do the Whole30 but I did kick back into training eating for the most part the same time you started and I lost 6 pounds but my body composition is back to race shape. I still want to drop a minimum of another 7 by my HIM in June which shouldn't be hard as long as I'm disciplined and don't have any binges.

2013-01-31 7:13 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Jen- I have the torpedo cage setup from XLab.  It took some getting used to but I like it.

Karen- 5 and change in a month is good.  A pound a week is solid weight loss so you were above that.

I had this discussion with a few folks the other day.  Slow and steady is the right way to lose weight.  It allows your body to adjust as you go, you don't end up with excess skin like me, and it's sustainable.  It just doesn't fit when you have weight loss surgery commercials, or the biggest loser, and the marketing hype about dieting is WAY out of control.  It's become as bad as the supplement industry.

2013-01-31 7:18 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Oh and it's 32 degrees here and I still ran outside this morning.  Pretty proud of myself.  Plus an hour ten on the treadmill would have been misery.  Tabata on the trainer later.
2013-01-31 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4602443

User image

Extreme Veteran
DDVMM - 2013-01-31 8:06 AM

Congrats on the 30 days. I am on day 26. I am guessing I haven't list anything. 5.4 pounds is awesome Karen and more importantly you feel good!!! Keep it up and maybe your loss will speed up.

Congratulations, Karen!  Weight loss is great!  You should be proud.  

I made it to 30 days today as well.  I am going to remain on the plan with modifications (almond milk in coffee, sports drink and gels for training, 95/5 rule to allow for sushi with rice 1 x per month ).  I am amazed at how easy it easy to make something the new normal.  I used to drink sweetened coffee.  Now I truly like unsweetened coffee, and I actually taste the difference among brands/brews.  It's awesome.  I'm not calorie counting either, which I loathe.  I didn't really lose any weight other than holiday gains from New Year's weekend and Christmas.  I think I'm the only human being on the planet who eats sugar-free, dairy-free, and grain-free and doesn't lose weight.  LMAO  It's not really about that for me anymore.  

Michele - www.barnana.com.  If you're on the trainer you can just eat a banana, but for those long rides out on the road, these are great.  I hate bruised, soft bananas, and that's how they end up when they're tucked in your jersey.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122