BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-25 6:28 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by kaburns1214

Spent the morning at the ER. At least it was me and not one of the kids. I got bit a few days ago by something and this morning the full bulleyes eye rash came out meaning a tick bite and lyme disease. Lucky it was caught early so I'm on antibiotics. Now I need a link showing that tick bites and lyme disease lead to a decline in physical performance, LOLOLOL. The bullseye itches and burns a lot but otherwise I'm good minus the 90 minutes wasted at the hospital.

Feel better!

I did this with the kids today http://goape.com/

Talk about a workout. You need a lot of strength and balance in both the uppor and lower body to get over many of these. My legs were pretty shaky so I was working pretty hard. Not the recommended recovery workout but a lot of fun.

OK for the record never do this the day after an HIM. I really wasn't all that sore yesterday until after doing this park and last night it was so bad I could barely sleep. It was one hell of a core and strength workout and a blast just not the day I did it.

2013-06-25 6:33 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Expert
Originally posted by carrie639

no one will ever forget, but will help everyone cope better.

Thanks Carrie for you cmopassion and that is exactly how we feel.

Larkin-I guess I didn't realize what was going on with the swim til I read your report. WOW, congrats to both you and Scott for gutting out a swim like that. Congrats on a first 1/2 finish!

AND let's not forget Larkin did it without a wetsuit! When I saw Hillary with the camera when I came up the final hill as I said earlier it dawned on me that I must have passed him on the swim and I also thought oh that poor bastard didn't have a wetsut. Normally a wetsuit probably saves you 25% of your energy so it was worth a lot more on Sunday.
2013-06-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DDVMM

Scott - I am sorry you didn't have the race you wanted. Shall we refer back to your post to me about 2 weeks ago?LOL Nah....use what went wrong today to improve for the next race. You are such a GOOD triathlete and you train so hard. It's in there....today just wasn't your day.

I love that Rev3 lets the family run down the finishers chute - I think that is AWESOME!! I hope you got some great pictures that you will share - isn't that what it's all about! I know that a huge part of my training is for my kids - to set a positive example!

And isn't Larkin such a cool dude! Glad you got to hang out with him and Hillary!

Larkin reminds me of this guy Tony I used to work with. They could be cousins and I had to fight the urge to call him Tony. He and Hillary are very cool.

I knew I'd be seeing this post though. I did have an epically bad day but really there were so many good lessons. I will say that given everything I had the right approach to the race while doing it. That was the second hottest race I've done and the hottest nearly put me in the IV tent. I don't feel like I made mistakes Sunday that I've made before. I'll certainly never take for granted that my goggles won't fog simply because "they never do" again.

I do think I need more rough water lake time though. A rough sea is actually easier because you can time the waves. This is the second time a chop on a lake has caused back issues. The bed made this worse than Patriot but nonetheless I think more training for that possibility and more long distance OWS will help.
2013-06-25 7:45 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by everlong Some good news. We've agreed to terms on the hosue we want to buy. Now we just have to sell ours. Lot of hardwork and stress getting it all together the next two months.

Step 1 done.  That's awesome

2013-06-25 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

I also thought oh that poor bastard didn't have a wetsut.

LOL Thanks Tell me about it! Lesson learned there! Just always be prepared and take advantage of every advantage you can get.

I am thinking that a swimskin may be better for the races I mainly do around here as my first investment. It would be nice to be able to get both but that is not going to happen anytime soon I don't think.
2013-06-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by kidtri33

LOL Thanks Tell me about it! Lesson learned there! Just always be prepared and take advantage of every advantage you can get.

I am thinking that a swimskin may be better for the races I mainly do around here as my first investment. It would be nice to be able to get both but that is not going to happen anytime soon I don't think.

I have an extra wetsuit sitting in my garage. I don't think Texas Scott will miss it.

2013-06-25 9:29 AM

User image

Expert

Figure out what fits you and then wait until it's a closeout or search ebay in the offseason. I got mine on Ebay in November for $165 and it was a $275 suit. Also I know people who have bought close out items for less than $100.
2013-06-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alos, I know Scott will love this. I did some video analysis of scott's swim this morning. I'll do a full write up, but I thought people might be interested.

Initial Video: http://youtu.be/iAAORsVvuLs
Second Video (after doning some drill work with Scott): http://youtu.be/BpwazLFmZBM

Can you be more specific about the changes I should see in the second video? I see his stroke is slower. Everyone knows I am a swim idiot so I need it spelled out please.
2013-06-25 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rest day. Heading to the pool in a few with the munchkins. I am anxious to hear from my youngest sister (she also happens to be my best friend outside of Kevin). She defends her dissertation today. It's such a big day for her!
2013-06-25 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Alos, I know Scott will love this. I did some video analysis of scott's swim this morning. I'll do a full write up, but I thought people might be interested.

Second Video (after doning some drill work with Scott): http://youtu.be/BpwazLFmZBM

Can you be more specific about the changes I should see in the second video? I see his stroke is slower. Everyone knows I am a swim idiot so I need it spelled out please.

I want to hear your thoughts too, Kelly.

I noticed some crossing over in the first vid. The pull seems to be cut short / needs to go deeper.
2013-06-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

Ah ha moment? No. Fixing my stroke is going to be a process. Never good when you pop your head up and Kelly has a "WTF was that?" look on her face.

LOL! Scary to think what she may think of my stroke then haha! Glad you were able to figure some things out though.

2013-06-25 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Um....x2....truthfully I thought they both looked good....so (I am with you Larkin)....not sure what this would say about my stroke.
2013-06-25 10:44 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Veteran
I too am on a Staycation...sort of. Spending the week getting caught up on some work stuff and intending to catch up on yard stuff...while Elsa is at sailing camp. It is hot and humid here with scattered showers so that may limit the amount of outside work I can get to.

I am on the last week of a hard training block....I did an 1.5 hour trainer ride with 5x 5 minn all outs followed by a brick run this morning. I'll tell ya, I laughed when I started running because my legs have never ever felt this heavy. Tomorrow's 1.5 run with 2x2 mile all outs should be interesting. I cannot wait for the "recovery week."

At least hockey is over. Congratulations Carrie. The better team won.
2013-06-25 11:24 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01
Originally posted by kaburns1214 Alos, I know Scott will love this. I did some video analysis of scott's swim this morning. I'll do a full write up, but I thought people might be interested. Initial Video: http://youtu.be/iAAORsVvuLsSecond Video (after doning some drill work with Scott): http://youtu.be/BpwazLFmZBM
I want to hear your thoughts too, Kelly. I noticed some crossing over in the first vid. The pull seems to be cut short / needs to go deeper.

I am not the most controlled person in the water.  You can tell that I kick hard and pull hard.  Honestly it's hard to replicate a good form stroke this way for 1.2 or 2.4 miles, or even 1k for that matter.  My balance in the water is iffy so we need to start there.  The fact I kick so hard (and I didn't know I did really) artificially keeps my hips up towards the surface.  If I were to soften and slow my kick I'm sure my hips would start to drop.  Thus, I'll be doing balance drills.  I also "pet" the water on the front end of my stroke which contributes to the mini crossover.  Honestly I can put a good form couple hundred together when I REALLY, REALLY focus, but that's not the goal.  The goal is a good form stroke that comes naturally.

I liken it to a golf swing in that if you know the mechanics you can put a technically flawless stroke together here and there during a round, but to be a scratch golfer it needs to flow naturally without 20 million swing thoughts.  I'm not there yet.

2013-06-25 12:56 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

I am thinking that a swimskin may be better for the races I
mainly do around here as my first investment. It would be nice to be able to get both but that is not going to happen anytime soon I don't think.

I have an extra wetsuit sitting in my garage. I don't think Texas Scott will miss it.

Wow! Kelly that is great!

T-Scott that is just so nice of you!
2013-06-25 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

I am not the most controlled person in the water.  You can tell that I kick hard and pull hard.  Honestly it's hard to replicate a good form stroke this way for 1.2 or 2.4 miles, or even 1k for that matter.  My balance in the water is iffy so we need to start there.  The fact I kick so hard (and I didn't know I did really) artificially keeps my hips up towards the surface.  If I were to soften and slow my kick I'm sure my hips would start to drop.  Thus, I'll be doing balance drills.  I also "pet" the water on the front end of my stroke which contributes to the mini crossover.  Honestly I can put a good form couple hundred together when I REALLY, REALLY focus, but that's not the goal.  The goal is a good form stroke that comes naturally.

I liken it to a golf swing in that if you know the mechanics you can put a technically flawless stroke together here and there during a round, but to be a scratch golfer it needs to flow naturally without 20 million swing thoughts.  I'm not there yet.

Very well put. At this point I would just like to convert pool swimming into OWS swimming. I have one more go this year in August. All that is on my mind right now is swimming. Lots and lots of swimming. I am happy I got through that swim but sometimes it is eating at me to get in the pool and get back to it and get better! I know more OWS's will help as well. So NOLA it is right Scott?!

2013-06-25 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by everlong I also thought oh that poor bastard didn't have a wetsut.
LOL Thanks Tell me about it! Lesson learned there! Just always be prepared and take advantage of every advantage you can get. I am thinking that a swimskin may be better for the races I mainly do around here as my first investment. It would be nice to be able to get both but that is not going to happen anytime soon I don't think.
Wow! Kelly that is great! T-Scott that is just so nice of you!

Kel can bring it down with her for the 5150 in Sept.  Hell I won't need it before November as hot as it is here.  She has a cheap pair of shades too. 

2013-06-25 1:20 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Very well put. At this point I would just like to convert pool swimming into OWS swimming. I have one more go this year in August. All that is on my mind right now is swimming. Lots and lots of swimming. I am happy I got through that swim but sometimes it is eating at me to get in the pool and get back to it and get better! I know more OWS's will help as well. So NOLA it is right Scott?!

Yes!!! 

2013-06-25 6:51 PM

User image

Hey GREAT JOB!!! at the races this weekend.

Podium Jenn!!!!!! Stellar job

30 minute PR Carrie!!!!

Larkin awesome first HIM. Scott, give yourself tons of credit.... sorry it was a hard day, but you toughed it out beautifully
2013-06-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

I am going to Maine on Thursday... never been and so so excited. I am not going to be biking much, but hope to open water swim and run.
2013-06-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by kr140.6

I am going to Maine on Thursday... never been and so so excited. I am not going to be biking much, but hope to open water swim and run.

Hey...where are you going to be? If you want to hook up for a ride, run, swim (OWS)...beer ...let me know...I live here.

2013-06-25 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Texas Scott - Wanted to let you know I got the Blue Seventy swim skin for Muncie. I tried it out on Saturday. 3 things I learned very quickly ....

1. It is pretty fast and comfortable (more than a wetsuit) but not as fast as a wetsuit
2. It is really easy to drop your hips and legs if you are used to swimming with a wetsuit ... found myself correcting a lot
3. When you stop to adjust your goggles, you IMMEDIATELY sink since there is no floatation capabilities!!! Got to figure out how to tread for things like that.
2013-06-25 9:40 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by carrie639 Texas Scott - Wanted to let you know I got the Blue Seventy swim skin for Muncie. I tried it out on Saturday. 3 things I learned very quickly .... 1. It is pretty fast and comfortable (more than a wetsuit) but not as fast as a wetsuit 2. It is really easy to drop your hips and legs if you are used to swimming with a wetsuit ... found myself correcting a lot 3. When you stop to adjust your goggles, you IMMEDIATELY sink since there is no floatation capabilities!!! Got to figure out how to tread for things like that.

1.  Yep.  It doesn't have the buoyancy of a wetsuit so it's not as fast.  It is also textile so there is inherently more drag. 

2.  It's like swimming in a pool.

3.  How often are you stopping to adjust your goggles?  That seems like an easy fix.

Sorry if I gave you the impression that there was any properties in regards to buoyancy.  99% of the races I've done are non wetsuit so I really don't think of people needing to figure out how to tread.  I do it in or out of a wetsuit.

2013-06-26 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Today I did the first run in a long time without hobbling around afterwards. I've been disciplined with the stretching, icing, and heating of my groin and my hip. It's tight for the first couple minutes and then it really loosens up. I'm hopeful this will no longer be a problem for my IM.
2013-06-26 6:31 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Texas Scott - Wanted to let you know I got the Blue Seventy swim skin for Muncie. I tried it out on Saturday. 3 things I learned very quickly ....

1. It is pretty fast and comfortable (more than a wetsuit) but not as fast as a wetsuit
2. It is really easy to drop your hips and legs if you are used to swimming with a wetsuit ... found myself correcting a lot
3. When you stop to adjust your goggles, you IMMEDIATELY sink since there is no floatation capabilities!!! Got to figure out how to tread for things like that.

Swim skins are completely textile and are designed simply to compress the body and reduce drag from pockets/low necks on tri tops and bottoms. Where a wetsuit will give a swimmer (especially one with poor body position) 10 seconds / 100, a swim skin may give a swimmer 1 second / 100.

With regard to adjusting goggles, the best thing to do is to stroke over to your back, adjust and then stroke back onto your stomach, its quicker that a full stop and doesn't impede swimmers behind you the way a full stop does.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86